Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro - Gimbal Obstruction / Motor Overload
123Next >
59397 85 2017-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Ash7aq Posted at 2017-8-12 13:45
Anyone able to find the solution.
Mine just started to have the same behaviour and that too when I travelled 700 km to shoot some videos (
Anyone was able to find the solution .

Just to verify, what is the error message on the APP, gimbal obstruction error? When did this issue start? Did anything happen before, like hard landing or crash?
2017-8-13
Use props
fans645a6c3b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 896867 ft
Greece

same problem here, no hard landing, no broke wires, no recent updates
Motor Overload, Gimbal Obstructed.
Any news ?
2017-8-23
Use props
Droner1
New

Germany

Same problem here in germany. Has DJI any information regarding  the root of the problem?
2017-8-26
Use props
fans0a7d5daf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17730 ft
Dominica

fans645a6c3b Posted at 2017-8-23 22:35
same problem here, no hard landing, no broke wires, no recent updates
Motor Overload, Gimbal Obstructed.
Any news ?

I'm on my honeymoon with my wife and after 2 days of normal flying today the gimbal keeps overload error and shaking too! I reset everything and it works normally for about 5 minutes and the error comes back again! I wanted to have nice videos of our trip. gimbal calibration freezes at 31%.
2017-9-3
Use props
BlueZone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1148409 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-9-13
Use props
chub1962
lvl.2
Flight distance : 644915 ft
Australia

This is so frustrating.    I searched many times over the last 3 weeks for a thread like this and have now found others with same issue.  Mine is already sent for repair, but I don't want someone else's MP in return, for what should be a simple firmware fix.
2017-9-13
Use props
fansf753ea67
New
Flight distance : 101299 ft
Finland

Same thing. I send my mavic to repair.
2017-9-14
Use props
govindliterally
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112484 ft
India

Had the same problem. Sent to the dji service centre drishti in chennai , india and they returned after 2 months replacing thd gimbal flex cable. Two flights later its back fo square one ! Gimbal sturrers and shakes and says check whether gimball clamp attached !
Why is this soo frustrating!!
2017-9-20
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-13 22:45
Just checked this case, the drone has been repaired and shipped out, I've tracked the tracking number, I think you've received the drone, right? Did you check the performance of the drone, is it working properly?

Yes I received the mavic and now it has the same issue AGAIN!!

It was working fine for about three hours  then the same error occurred.
Sent it back in 9/25/17

Current Case # CAS-1024185-H9B2T8

Previous case # CAS-803312-F8J1G5
2017-9-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-9-26 10:33
Yes I received the mavic and now it has the same issue AGAIN!!

It was working fine for about three hours  then the same error occurred.

Sorry for this, we'll take care of it after it arrives, I'll keep an eye on it as well, should you have any questions about it, please feel free to let us know, we'd like to check it for you.
2017-9-26
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

A similar problem that arose in flight.
Everything was great, but suddenly the camera began to move chaotically.
This was the first day of flight after the firmware update.
The first flight (about 4 minutes) passed without problems.
During the second flight (5 minutes) I saw a strange twitching of the camera. I assumed it was a wind or a bird. The problem disappeared quickly.
And during the third flight the camera twitched strongly and for a long time - I had to put Mavik. At home. when you try to turn on Mavik, the camera looks down.
I got a lot of colleagues advice on changing firmware, eliminating electromagnetic interference, etc. But in my opinion the reason is that the firmware burns the camera control loop. Mavik was unpredictable and unreliable.
My video of this situation and discussion
2017-9-26
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Alexei Merinov Posted at 2017-9-26 21:24
A similar problem that arose in flight.
Everything was great, but suddenly the camera began to move chaotically.
This was the first day of flight after the firmware update.

I explained in much technical detail as you have indicated in your post. Yet I immediately received an invoice for repair $185. Called immediately! The issue I have with support on these repairs is no one reads your notes and comments. They follow a script and that dictates bill the customer and let them spend more time on the phone with support and fill an invoice dispute!! That is BS to waste my time because no one reads the case notes!

Going through this again. Explained what happened and the first thing I told is we will evaluate the flight data..well you go right ahead but don't expect me to pay for anything so why are you wasting my time again ??

I also had an issue with the NFZ causing flight issues and erratic behavior and not once has anyone said we will consider that issue as well. I won't pay for any repairs when I take great care of my Mavic.

This should be durable enough to withstand small bumps on a soft, cushy surface. If I tell you the issue started after the .09 firmware update and so many others say the same them address that issue!
No they want to bill you for anything they can and hope you won't dispute it.

It's a waste of my time and effort after what we pay for this device.
2017-9-28
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

Well fellow Mavic Dud owners, the same has happened to my gimbal.  I am out in the desert working and wont be able to just send it in.  It is pretty strange how this occurs to a heap of people. Maybe some guy in the factory set this up to happen in the firmware update?

By the way, what firmware are you all on?
2017-10-9
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

I keep the firmware at .07 so I have freedom to manipulate things.
2017-10-11
Use props
connellafilms
lvl.2
Peru

I'm now having the same issue and not feeling better about these answers....

Since updating to the latest firmware (most recent) my gimbal has been going crazy. Sometimes it boots with the camera at an angle (not level), but usually fixes with restart. And then after launching, if I try and move the gimbal or turn the drone, the gimbal often times starts having a “seizure” that I can’t stop until I land and restart it again. It will also say “gimbal motor overloaded” most times. It’s become ultra sensitive to movement during flight. To make sure it wasn’t wind, I flew it with the plastic shield on. I do not have the support plastic piece left in so it’s not that either which I know is a common mistake.

It’s the worst time for me because I’m traveling in South America and constantly moving until December so I don't expect I'll get any help from DJI until I'm in a settled place... Just hope I can "limp" along until the end of this trip. Was really hoping to find a self help solution

2017-10-11
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Putting on my armchair engineer hat for a response:

I suspect (but do not know) that DJI may have changed the gimbal calibration routines in the last update.  Specifically, when the gimbal is moved to a new extreme during calibration, the movement is now (with the new update) faster than normal, causing the camera to swing outward (due to angular momentum) and to strike the sides of the body  and possibly return an erroneous  camera position at that gimbal  extreme.  

That scenario  could be responsible for (1)  gimbal motor overheating, (2) jerky gimbal behavior during flight (due to erroneous calibration) and (3) explains why' tilt and tip' calibration sometimes works.

Maybe one of the moderators could find out if the gimbal calibration routine was modified in the last  firmware release.  I'll bet the software engineers probably removed some code to slow the gimbal movement during calibration - probably to make room in the firmware memory for some new feature.

Just my 2 cents - for what it's worth.
2017-10-11
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

OK - here's my guess as to what is happening.  I think the update is just a coincidence.  I would say gimbals are failing due to that ribbon cable breaking as our Russian friend has discovered and fixed himself out of necessity.  I hope I get mine done under warranty of DJI Care Refresh.  I did notice on the Care Refresh documents that there is a separate Serial number for the gimbal.  This probably indicates that it would be replaced as a separate item.
2017-10-11
Use props
fans1f4a3127
lvl.4
Germany

I have the Gimbal overload when i Start my Controller ans then the Mavic. When i Start the Mavic allone its all ok.
2017-10-12
Use props
Ricco78
New
France

Hello,

I live in France so I hope you'll excuse my poor english ... By the way, I'll do my best...
I've got exactly the same problem as yours... I've just had my Mavic pro a week ago, and did my first fly this sunday (after all the updates and calibration done).
I was in my garden and fly easily (not so high (no more than three meters) nor fast)... Unfortunately, after only 5 minutes the mavic had an erratic move (that I couldn't explain) and had a little hard landing...
So, I turned it off and after a while I wanted to try another fly in an even more unobstructed place...
But, this time, the app said : Gimbal obstructed !
And the cam didn't respond to commands (when everythings seems to be good with her) ! !
I'm very surprised and disappointed with this problem because I bought the mavic for my work (in school) and we have soon some movies to do...
I hope somebody in DJI could do something for us as soon as possible 'cause we want to do a lot of work with it.
Thanks for reading... Have a nice day
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Ricco78 Posted at 2017-10-17 00:42
Hello,

I live in France so I hope you'll excuse my poor english ... By the way, I'll do my best...

Ricco, since it happened after a little hard landing, please check the gimbal if it hurt or not. If you reboot your drone and nothing gets better. I would recommend you send it back for check. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-10-17
Use props
Ricco78
New
France

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-17 00:51
Ricco, since it happened after a little hard landing, please check the gimbal if it hurt or not. If you reboot your drone and nothing gets better. I would recommend you send it back for check. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support.

Hi Elektra,

thanks for your advice. I post a message on the support. Hope everything's going well soon.
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Ricco78 Posted at 2017-10-17 01:12
Hi Elektra,

thanks for your advice. I post a message on the support. Hope everything's going well soon.

Ricco, you are welcome. Please inform us if you encounter any problem.
2017-10-17
Use props
Lifes Edge Art
New
Australia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-10-17 02:58
Ricco, you are welcome. Please inform us if you encounter any problem.

Guys I just updated my drone. No crashes or hard landings . Now I'm getting the message too. I really believe the update did it. I baby my drone
2017-10-17
Use props
Lifes Edge Art
New
Australia

Lifes Edge Art Posted at 2017-10-17 23:49
Guys I just updated my drone. No crashes or hard landings . Now I'm getting the message too. I really believe the update did it. I baby my drone

If I hold my drone sideways to start, I have no issue and don't receive the message. I'm just confused as I haven't crashed it and finally got wifi to update it while I travel Australia and now I have this issue
2017-10-17
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Lifes Edge Art Posted at 2017-10-17 23:59
If I hold my drone sideways to start, I have no issue and don't receive the message. I'm just confused as I haven't crashed it and finally got wifi to update it while I travel Australia and now I have this issue

I would recommend you send it back for check. Please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-10-18
Use props
fans8eb92c74
New
Flight distance : 6939 ft
Malaysia

Same problem here. I invested everything I had in a trip around south east Asia and it's my livelihood and now I can't use it and this is going to really set me back. It's all good saying just send it back but I don't need it in a few weeks. If there's a hero out there with a fix I'll buy you a drink.
2017-10-18
Use props
Lifes Edge Art
New
Australia

fans8eb92c74 Posted at 2017-10-18 18:37
Same problem here. I invested everything I had in a trip around south east Asia and it's my livelihood and now I can't use it and this is going to really set me back. It's all good saying just send it back but I don't need it in a few weeks. If there's a hero out there with a fix I'll buy you a drink.

Try to  hold the drone sideways to start. It has to be the update . I can't ship it as I'm backpacking Australia
2017-10-19
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Hey guys,

You should read this thread:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-116759-1-1.html

More than disappointed, I am desperate.
2017-10-19
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I too started experiencing this violent gimbal shaking on startup. Like many others it started happening after the most recent firmware update. As someone else speculated in this thread -  my guess is that DJI have adjusted the gimbal calibration on startup and some older Mavics with looser gimbal plates (worn/stretched elastic bands) are now having the camera hitting the drone. The fix in the video has worked for me. It's rudimentary and annoying that this is even an issue but it works! It must aid the clearance of the camera during it's calibration.

Not my video and the guy is not getting enough love for this, it's a bodge but it has got my Mavic back in the air!

2017-11-11
Use props
Tdiggity
lvl.1
Flight distance : 882976 ft
United States

This just started happening to me as well. Sounds exactly the same. No crashes or hard landings ever. Always use the gimbal clamp when not flying and have never turned the mavic on with the clamp in place. Then all of a sudden i started getting the same sympotms youre stating. Although i have one question for you. The only thing i did different then my ususal was that right before it began I went “sport” mode for the first time. I started flying non-camera drones and then race drones. I know how to fly a drone. Sport mode on the mavic is very controlled but i wonder if the more aggresive sport flying might have jarred the gimbal a bit. Has anyone else start having this issue after more aggresive sport mode flights?
2017-11-11
Use props
Tdiggity
lvl.1
Flight distance : 882976 ft
United States

NEY BARROS Posted at 2017-7-15 10:33
I discovered that This problem is because the gimbal flat cabe is broken.

While the broken ribbon cable might be the case some or even most of the time, why is it breaking under normal use without crashs or ruff use? It is even happening to new drones like mine. I do use it a lot but its only a couple moths old. I dont think mine is a ribbon cable since it has cleared after restarts. Although it is getting worse after each use. This morning it would not clear and my trip out was an absolute waste of time. When i got back home and fired it up it started fine. Very wierd. Im thinking if the issue was physical it would be constant not intermittent with restarts clearing it.
2017-11-11
Use props
rceagle1
lvl.1
United States

Glad I found this, cured my desire for a magic 100% I'm checking out the breeze instead.
2017-11-19
Use props
fans589f6bf6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20791 ft
United States

I have this problem continuously and have sent it back twice to have it fixed, It has happened again and I am going to bring it back to the place where I bought it.  I am not convinced that DJI support can fix it as it's a design flaw. I want a refund and upgrade to the Phantom 4 Pro.  I don't think it is acceptable to own the Mavic Pro for 6 months and if I send the device off to be repaired again it will be out of action for approx two months of that time.  It is such a pity because the Mavic is a superb drone
2017-12-26
Use props
jkkeating
New
Philippines

I had the same issue. I live in the Philippines and purchased my MP on Amazon.com and had someone ship it over here for me. lasted for about a year and never had any issues, but eventually while on vacation the same gimbal error on this thread popped up for me. I spent days troubleshooting, reading, watching and trying every trick on the net. No DJI support in Manila. So I purchased a new one and had it shipped over here and decided to keep my original for a parts machine. 3 flights into the new MP the same exact error is happening.

I had the Phantom 2 and 3 series and never had any issues. I am giving up on MP and moving back to the Phantom. It's not as compact or convenient, but it works!
2018-1-6
Use props
Cswminty
New
United Kingdom

I had exactly the same issue.
Flew the drone at a friends, no issues at all,
brought in to land at the 30% warning as it was only my 3rd or 4th short flight, landed without issue at all, we looked at the video footage, was brilliant.

I have turned it on the following day and the gimbal is going crazy, I have tried it several times and each time the same

I had exactly the same issue.  Flew the drone at a friends, no issues at all,  brought in to land at the 30% warning as it was only my 3rd or 4th short flight, landed without issue at all, we looked at the video footage, was brilliant.  I have turned it on the following day and the gimbal is going crazy, I have tried it several times and each time the same  

It did disconnect the camera alter a short period of time flying too from the day I had it, id just land it, power off and back on again and it would re-connect, a right pain though.
2018-5-1
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 720446 ft
Canada

I got this problem on my trip to iceland and ruined the reason i bought a drone in the first place. I have an open case and waiting for my shipping label. Why is this problem still occuring in 2018 models? I have all the same problems you guys have, calibration is stuck at 31%, the gimbal goes crazy on start up, it wobbles mid-air. It now doesnt work at all. Enabling portrait/landscape mode doesn't work...

Hopefully i'll get a working aircraft soon.
2018-5-1
Use props
Washindronian
New
Flight distance : 85912 ft

I’m having this problem but I bought a used unit and it had been crashed and had a replaced vibration plate. No warranty was purchased. Anything I can do? The drone flew fine for three or 4 battery cycles then it flipped out and flew into a tree and I caught it before it hit the ground. After shutdown and field check, powered back up and gimble instruction overheat warning...no more gimble working...
2018-5-10
Use props
Justone
lvl.1

I had this problem and was going nuts trying to figure it out but then I fixed it, here's how:  I turned off the Mavic, then manually (and gently) moved the camera through the full range of movement on BOTH AXIS, to pan and tilt the camera. It turned out that for me, the camera would not move through the full range of tilt, it got stuck 3/4 of the way through it's movement. I then gave it a GENTLE little bit of an extra push and it  sort of clicked and moved. The clicking feeling was, I believe, a small piece of sand that was obstructing the movement (the last place I flew was the beach). Then I powered it back up and 'presto' - it worked. Yay! Definitely try this to see that the cameras movement is not being hindered by something you can't see. Good luck!!!
2018-7-25
Use props
RTheRon
lvl.1

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 20:04
Sorry for this, may I have your case number? I'd like to look into it.

Hi Diana, have the exact same issue with a Mavic Pro on it's first use/flight, we've had the drone for over a year but after struggling to get it connected to the controller/app and getting started with it, we put it aside and never tried again until today, with the help of a friend we were able to get it updated and ready to go, only to run into the gimbal motor overloaded error, nothing we've done seems to make the gimbal usable at all, this is really disappointing from something that's pretty much brand new if you could help escalate this one it would be very much appreciated, it's request number 1331496 logged with DJI support
2018-9-1
Use props
djiuser_zCSG48LS3JI9
New

United States

I am having this exact issue with my drone. i have had the drone for 2 years and only logged about 15 hours of flight time. got it out a while back did a firmware update and bam gimbal overload error.
No obstructions, mounts are all fine tried the turn it on upside down trick, tried re calibrating a million times, wont recalibrate.
Finally ordered a new gimbal ribbon changed it, still nothing.
Ordered a new gimbal control board still same issue.
Opened DJI assistant downgraded firm ware, did factory reset, reinstalled firm ware still nothing. by the time i was doe with this the gimbal was almost too hot to touch. There has to be a fix for this clearly this is a DJI issue that should be a recall!!! I spent nearly $1000 on this drone and its a total turd. don't feeling paying dji another $400 to fix their mess. any tips on how to fix this?
2020-4-16
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules