iPad Air 2 reboots mid flight
3700 25 2015-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

I've updated all of the firmware and the IOS but randomly the screen goes black and eventually the Apple logo appears which indicates it is rebooting. I make sure all of my apps are closed before I every run the DJI app on the iPad.  Anyone else having this issue? does anyone know when .07 will be available for the IOS? The Quad still flew by the way with the controller but it was a serious pucker factor that first time.
2015-3-6
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Reinstall the app.
2015-3-6
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
United States

Thank you Acid-I've done that twice now.
2015-3-6
Use props
mischa
lvl.1

Germany

I experience the same problems here. Today my iPad Air 2 restarted itself for the second time during the flight. It really made me nervous, as the Inspire was 800m away from me. Luckily the reboot does not take too long on the Air 2...
2015-3-7
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
United States

Yea ,and it just auto hovers if you let go of the sticks. Or you can still fly it ATTI with the remote. but at night with a low battery that gets a little nerve racking and tricky which way you are going some times. lol
2015-3-8
Use props
tim.warth
lvl.2
United States

Ok.. so it happened to me.

Ipad Air 2, video went from choppy to blank to reboot Ipad.

Hardware Decode is enabled.

TW
2015-4-11
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

That is a "feature" of the Apple Tablet, (they're trying to stand apart from the other tablets)

Bob -

I have an Air1 that I have used as Master the last 2 flights, no problems yet, knock on wood -
2015-4-11
Use props
tim.warth
lvl.2
United States

Any known corrective actions?
2015-4-11
Use props
bvh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2669265 ft
United States

I have had this problem as well - twice, about 20 flights apart.  Both, were at about 3min of flight time - whether a coincidence or not - but I was able to restart, load app and continue flying...  Definitely a bug in the app - though seemingly impossible to find with how random it is.  
2015-4-29
Use props
Kvamen
lvl.2

Norway

Been working ok With me, never had the issue
2015-4-29
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Disable the Hardware Decode on the Air 2....enable Hardware Decode on the Ipad mini.
2015-4-29
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

The Air2 has had this problem reported since the beginning.
The Air1 does not ever do this.
Since the Air1 and Air2 have the same processor, there is no need for guys to buy very expensive Air2.
I have factory refurb Air1 for $165 on ebay. It is perfect and I have yet to have a problem with it.
I am NOT running the newest version ios pilot app because (I am NOT having problems with the old app).

My bird, for the first time since I got it, is working perfectly. My batteries are perfect, the bird is perfect, the connections are perfect, (full bars a mile out). No random "No Signal" warnings, no GPS dropouts. I finally get the use the I1 for what it was designed for, collecting aerial digital media. I love the range on this "shitty" camera. I have successfully taken really nice time exposures at night, as well as fast moving stuff in he day. Not too shabby for an "all in one" bird.
I really hope I am not Forced to change firmware for a very long time, (new firmware ALWAYS introduces new problems).

Bob "I'm Good" Marley

2015-4-29
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

Bob Marley says,"...Since the Air1 and Air2 have the same processor, there is no need for guys to buy very expensive Air2..."

Sorry Bob you are not accurate.

Processor Chip
iPad Air 2:    A8X chip with 64‑bit architecture and M8 motion coprocessor

iPad Air 1:    A7 chip with 64‑bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor

My Source: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
2015-4-29
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-4-30 05:08
Bob Marley says,"...Since the Air1 and Air2 have the same processor, there is no need for guys to bu ...

Oh, my mistake.
I was thinking about the Mini with the A6 that is not strong enough.
You are correct, the A7 chip works perfectly fine and the A8x is a waste of money and likes to shut off in mid-air.

I stand corrected -

Bob "A7" Marley
2015-4-29
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

No worries.

And as far as this shut off issue, never experienced it.
2015-4-29
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Never had this problem; flown over 70 flights
2015-4-29
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-4-30 12:24
No worries.

And as far as this shut off issue, never experienced it.

It apparently doesn't affect everyone, (most bugs don't), but could you imagine it shutting down while way out?
Some of these dudes gotta be chitin their pants when someone comes up behind them and slips a bag over their head, (thx dji).
If you are out at the "marketed" range, you would have zero idea which way the bird was pointing and which way it was heading. What a flippin scary thought, I definitely feel for these guys -

Just a super good reason to get the Air1, there has never been a reboot on it, (only the Air2).
Again, it's specifically why I chose Air1 8 weeks ago, (way before .21 firmware)

Bob "fingers always crossed" Marley
2015-4-29
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Have you found any solution to this problem yet?
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

I have the same issue...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid187835

and so does someone else

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;extra=#pid187824
2015-8-8
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-8-8 21:43
Have you found any solution to this problem yet?

It seems that if you have an air 2 turn off hardware decoding ..
2015-8-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-10 23:30
It seems that if you have an air 2 turn off hardware decoding ..

Did that and it worked!
2015-8-10
Use props
ka010
lvl.1

Germany

What's happening after it rebooted, is it working fine then or will it reboot again?
From my experience as a developer this usually happens when a device runs out of memory. That being said, it doesn't necessarily have to be the DJI app whats causing this.

Basically what's happening is that every app you use claims some amount of memory to work with and once it no longer needs it makes it available to the system again. However often not all of the memory is made available again which over time decreases the overall amount of memory available to the system, also referred to as memory leaking.

The only way for the system to reclaim that leaked memory is to reboot. So if that is in fact what's happening here it should be working fine after it rebooted and similarly rebooting the iPad in advance should make sure it doesn't happen during flight.

Hope that helps.
2015-8-11
Use props
zane_isaac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8712549 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have an HDMI monitor plugged in that will still work while your iPad reboots so redundancy is a good thing also I have an iPad air two and I've experienced the problem on maybe three occasions with  40 hours flight time.  Hardware decoder should be enabled on air 2 for best results.  The hardware decoding feature is mainly for Apple products as opposed to say the shield tablets that have a strong graphics processor.
2015-8-11
Use props
manuelnegronpr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10933205 ft
  • >>>
United States

zane_isaac@yaho Posted at 2015-8-12 03:56
If you have an HDMI monitor plugged in that will still work while your iPad reboots so redundancy is ...

I experience the same problems. I've updated all of the firmware and the IOS but randomly the screen goes black and eventually the Apple logo appears which indicates it is rebooting. Definitely a bug in the app.I have Apple Air 2 with a lot of GB free space. I have tried with on hardware decoding anf off with no results.
2015-8-24
Use props
tapboxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 824672 ft
United States

Okay so i'm a little confused..... I have a iPad mini 2, do I enable or disable hardware decoding?

Everyones mentioning Air 2 and Mini's, but no ones saying Mini 2's

I'm assuming (which i hate to do)  I enable the hardware decoding

thank you
2015-8-24
Use props
djiuser_8UzWva41pylF
New
Flight distance : 131785 ft
United States

I have the same issue!
2022-12-2
Use props