1011 6 2017-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

Hi,

last time I launched my Mavic in the forest, the drone behaves very strange. It started drifting a lot (all directions) and constantly corrects it's height up and down. I never seen this before. I had around 11-13 satellites all the time. But it was hard for me to keep the Mavic on track while flying manually.

Do you guys have a best practice for that? I tried the Tripod Mode which worked perfectly, but then the Mavic is too slow for my purposes :-P

just in case it matters: I flew on a very wide path and most trees are high enough that it's not dangerous to fly. Even with the drifting I never had a problem coming to close to any tree or branch.

regards,
patman89
2017-5-7
Use props
Peter Galbavy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I think a lot of the problem is that the downward VPS doesn't have enough contrast on the ground to help it stay stable. The GPS helps, but I believe below a certain height the Mavic will start giving priority to the VPS for positioning relative to the ground. This is, perhaps, also related to the lack of a dedicated ATTI mode like on the P4 etc.

I am wholly speculating, based on very little real evidence beyond what I have read here in the past.
2017-5-8
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

Peter Galbavy Posted at 2017-5-8 00:47
I think a lot of the problem is that the downward VPS doesn't have enough contrast on the ground to help it stay stable. The GPS helps, but I believe below a certain height the Mavic will start giving priority to the VPS for positioning relative to the ground. This is, perhaps, also related to the lack of a dedicated ATTI mode like on the P4 etc.

I am wholly speculating, based on very little real evidence beyond what I have read here in the past.

Hmmm, I think you are right.

But I'm afraid of turning off the VPS in forest, because there are trees they suddenly jump out and try to crash my Mavic

ATTI Mode would be a great solution, but I think this would never come to Mavic. DJI Ken wrote about this a few weeks ago.

2017-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tripod, depends on lighting VPS on or off, gps may be hit and miss, depends on cover, try in a safe area until your happy, loads do it so it's not to difficult.
2017-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-8 01:35
Hmmm, I think you are right.

But I'm afraid of turning off the VPS in forest, because there are trees they suddenly jump out and try to crash my Mavic

Atti mode in tight spaces, not as easy as you might think...
2017-5-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

ATTI is good if you have fine control in your fingers. I've flown my mavic in ATTI when I got a disconnected compass and I understand many newbies will crash them, because then think "i let go of the sticks and it will stop". That's a big NOPE. You need to FLY it, constant adjustments. It is actually fun

Just turn off downward vision. Front vision will still work then.
2017-5-8
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-8 01:55
Atti mode in tight spaces, not as easy as you might think...

I don't might have problems with that, because the path in the forest where I want to fly is very wide. And I have collected many hours of flight with other RC planes and copters over the past few years :-)
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules