Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
shooting photos while filming
1109 7 2017-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Xirtuaeb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55423 ft
Belgium

I didn't find a thread concerning my problem: I'd like to shoot photos while filming without quitting movie mode.I do this with a cheap undiscontinued Toshiba Camera Camileo X-Sport.

If that's not possible for now I propose that this option could be possible in the future version of DJI Go Pro ?
Thank you for reading and possibly caring.

2017-5-8
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Nope, no option (currently) to take a photo while recording. Have read of a few who take stills from the video playback though.
2017-5-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Taking photos while filming, is always a frame that is saved, not a real photo... it is kinda the same, but still different. You could extract the frames afterwards.
2017-5-8
Use props
Xirtuaeb
lvl.2
Belgium

Nees Posted at 2017-5-8 04:26
Taking photos while filming, is always a frame that is saved, not a real photo... it is kinda the same, but still different. You could extract the frames afterwards.

Thank you for your answer
2017-5-9
Use props
Xirtuaeb
lvl.2
Belgium

SeaComms Posted at 2017-5-8 02:49
Nope, no option (currently) to take a photo while recording. Have read of a few who take stills from the video playback though.

Thank you for your answer
2017-5-9
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

I wish this was an option too.  Smartphones and video cameras are capable of doing this already. Hopefully DJI adds this as a feature in an upcoming update.
2017-5-17
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

not quite the same but im sure i used to be able to snap a photo while in video mode, pressing the shutter would snap the photo but then stop filming. Now when i use the shutter button it does nothing ... you always have to stop recording, then snap ... i'm not even sure when this changed ...
2017-5-17
Use props
Xirtuaeb
lvl.2
Belgium

I always wondered what is the best way to have most decent still image quality with Mavic. So I did some comparative tests.
I shotted 1 photo automatically saved in both dng and jpg. Then I took a 4k video (3840 × 2160 pixels) from the same position (and direction). On a Mac, I extracted a frame from the movie with QuickTime and I saved this frame with Apercu both in png and in jpg format. All these at same exposure with Auto Exposure locked. I assembled the details in the image following.
On this comparison basis I can observe that the far best image quality is the DNG image. After comes the jpg encoded image not so good in term of crispness and ev exp. range and the jpg artefacts are too pronounced . The stills have a resolution of 3000 x 4000 pixels.
The extracted movie frame has only the resolution of the movie used (3840 × 2160) and the jpg artefacts are not too pronounced. Saving that in png or jpg changes nothing. the result is honest.
Sometimes I have read that the images taken with the camera are actually extracted from the movie. Although that could be done with the Mavic, the quality is far less than the photos processed in DNG.
My regret is then that while filming you have to interrupt the operation to take photos and restart the filming process. Having a poor old brain I forget time to time to push the trigger…
As I am on the way to express some wishes may I add that I’d like that taking photos and filming should be non dependent and that we had the possibility of automatically take photos at intervals. (Some cheap action camera do this)
Don’t be fooled, the Mavic as it, is for me a real source of pleasure and wonder.
Thank you for your comments and corrections.

4 details comp.jpg
2017-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules