Low level flight Over a Granite Tor.
1454 14 2017-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy1963
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40548 ft
United Kingdom

Im still new to all this flying stuff, Would like to share this short clip Of my Phantom standard fliying over belstone Tor, dartmoor Uk.
Hope you enjoy

2017-5-8
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

Really beautiful footage Andy. Thanks for sharing.
2017-5-8
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-8 11:17
Really beautiful footage Andy. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Beardrone Still trying to get smoother footage most of my flights will be low level, I think its nice to try get some detail in the videos. But this is only about my 6th flight so still trying to get the hang on panning, I suppose it comes with practice
2017-5-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

That works very nicely.

Next time, remember that the gimbal doesn't have to be horizontal.

Also, be careful getting too close to those rocks if it is windy, there can be a lot of turbulence on the downwind side of a Dartmoor tor.
2017-5-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-5-8 11:39
Thanks Beardrone  Still trying to get smoother footage most of my flights will be low level, I think its nice to try get some detail in the videos. But this is only about my 6th flight so still trying to get the hang on panning, I suppose it comes with practice

A lovely area Andy, you can make adjustments to the control settings in DJI Go that can help smooth out the turns and pans.

Have a look at this thread, post No' 46 contains some good pre-sets for smoother pans etc :-

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=154551

2017-5-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Really nice scenery, thanks for sharing!
2017-5-8
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-5-8 11:39
Thanks Beardrone  Still trying to get smoother footage most of my flights will be low level, I think its nice to try get some detail in the videos. But this is only about my 6th flight so still trying to get the hang on panning, I suppose it comes with practice

It will indeed. I'm a newbie as well, and I am starting to get the hang of things. I'm in a coastal area, so I am flying over water all the time. It is unavoidable. At first, I was like "Oh no! What if it goes in the water?!"

And then I realized that even if I am over land at 400 feet, and I have a catastrophic failure and the drone drops out of the sky, it's toast either way. So, at least I'll witness a cool splash if it happens.

I think I have about 6 hours of flight time now, and about half of that is video footage of just every day features; boats, the surf, coastal homes and landscapes, etc.

It certainly takes pratice and yes, there are some settings in the App that can make transitions and movements smoother. It's a work in progress, but great fun.

Hope you get more footage soon.

ATB, Michael
2017-5-8
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-8 13:38
That works very nicely.

Next time, remember that the gimbal doesn't have to be horizontal.

Thank-you Nigel i did notice the drone was moving a bit with out touching the remote which must of been the turbulence so was a little bit of a fight keeping it still as wind speeds that day was only about 10 mph
but still a very enjoyable flight. I did notice tho i was getting strong interference now & again which i'm unsure what that was  all about, Then it came to me i wonder if it was down the the copper bracelet i wear for rheumatism which has also magnets on ! .... Shall try taking them off next time. The other thing i thought was is the a magnetic field within granite rock.... ?   
2017-5-9
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-8 13:53
A lovely area Andy, you can make adjustments to the control settings in DJI Go that can help smooth out the turns and pans.

Have a look at this thread, post No' 46 contains some good pre-sets for smoother pans etc :-

Thank-you Aardvark i will check this out, This is what i need to learn
2017-5-9
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-8 16:04
Really nice scenery, thanks for sharing!

Thank-you DJI-Jamie
2017-5-9
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-8 16:16
It will indeed. I'm a newbie as well, and I am starting to get the hang of things. I'm in a coastal area, so I am flying over water all the time. It is unavoidable. At first, I was like "Oh no! What if it goes in the water?!"

And then I realized that even if I am over land at 400 feet, and I have a catastrophic failure and the drone drops out of the sky, it's toast either way. So, at least I'll witness a cool splash if it happens.

Hiya Michael
                            I dont live to far away from the coast i been thinking of doing some seascape shots but my heart sinks LOLOL when thinking of it dropping in the ocean.....
Im going to get some practice in before doing a coast flight i think. Im going to check out the Info that Aardvark commented on Post no` 46 about presets...
2017-5-9
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-5-9 13:31
Thank-you Nigel i did notice the drone was moving a bit with out touching the remote which must of been the turbulence so was a little bit of a fight keeping it still as wind speeds that day was only about 10 mph
but still a very enjoyable flight. I did notice tho i was getting strong interference now & again which i'm unsure what that was  all about, Then it came to me i wonder if it was down the the copper bracelet i wear for rheumatism which has also magnets on ! .... Shall try taking them off next time. The other thing i thought was is the a magnetic field within granite rock.... ?

Make sure that you remove the bracelet while you calibrate the compass, it wont be a problem except when calibrating.

Granite does have a fair amount of iron minerals in it, don't think it ever has any significant magnetism though and because of the way it formed any magnetism would be very constant over a wide area so I don't think there is anything to worry about.   I've taken off from granite many times without issue.
2017-5-9
Use props
Andy1963
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-5-9 13:55
Make sure that you remove the bracelet while you calibrate the compass, it wont be a problem except when calibrating.

Granite does have a fair amount of iron minerals in it, don't think it ever has any significant magnetism though and because of the way it formed any magnetism would be very constant over a wide area so I don't think there is anything to worry about.   I've taken off from granite many times without issue.

Thanks Nigel
2017-5-9
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

Andy1963 Posted at 2017-5-9 13:41
Hiya Michael
                            I dont live to far away from the coast i been thinking of doing some seascape shots but my heart sinks LOLOL when thinking of it dropping in the ocean.....
Im going to get some practice in before doing a coast flight i think. Im going to check out the Info that Aardvark commented on Post no` 46 about presets...

Andy, yes those will be helpful for smoothing things out. I've just recently changed a few myself.

I flew out over the Atlantic today, and it was such a beautiful day that the risk of dropping it in the ocean was well worth it. Offshore breeze kept the waves smooth, but well formed. I did my longest flight today, right around 31,000 ft. flight distance. I brought it back at 22% left on the battery, but I certainly could have gone some more. I'm enjoying the high capacity batteries. They do give you that extra time.

Anyway, I have no doubt you get over the water soon. It really is fun.

ATB
2017-5-9
Use props
SKY-CINEMA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 754767 ft
Moldova

Amazing place and footage! Seems like Bilbo and dwarves had been there
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now