WARNING ESC / MOTOR WIRING FAULTY CAUSED CRASH.
12345Next >
16056 169 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Dji

my gimbal broken, body shell and landing gear bending and last im very disappointed now!! during the phantom is in flight is suddenly crash when i open the top cover of a shell i found out that the center wire (red) from ESc to motor was cut how come dji? i know the reason why the drone crash i spend huge amount of money to buy your products and look the result now.. i proved it to you check the attachment :@

WTF!
soldering.jpg
esc.jpg
gimbal.jpg
2015-3-7
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

myron, you should contact DJI support here:

http://www.dji.com/support
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-7 20:28
myron, you should contact DJI support here:

http://www.dji.com/support

hi mike

i email already dji support but im in philippines i think no official dji support here only third party reseller i hope body shell and landing gear they replace because my phantom 2 is 3 months old
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-7 20:37
That looks like the wire was partially cut or damaged when the insulation was stripped back. Vibrati ...

my h3-3d gimbal broken but the gopro4 not   in philippine gimbal so expensive here, yeah i send the picture to them
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

yeah  i downgraded to 3.08 and the drone return perfectly if i turn off the rc and landing slowly the drone crash at around 7:00pm so dark i was testing the drone steady hover maybe 20 meters distance and 10 meters hieght if the battery dropping to 20% to mae sure if the drone return to home but suddenly the drone was crash
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-7 22:08
It looks like there has been heat at the solder joint. Is that right? It is hard to tell from the  ...

hi guy

the grey mark on the board is a pcb paint i think no burn was made, i was try to turn power on the motor its turning counter clockwise before i found out the wire was cut the esc board no damage or any burn. can you help me guy explaining to dji support because my english is not good
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-7 22:27
Yes I think the wire has broken because it may have been damaged before soldering and/or the wires ...

yes i leave the phantom untouch do you think dji can replace in my case? the problem here in philippines no local support.

thanks
2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Looks like impact broke the solder joint to me, based on the damage to that area of the shell
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-7 22:33
Looks like impact broke the solder joint to me, based on the damage to that area of the shell

doesnt make sense oak the drone hovering steady and suddenly crash down cause of out balance because the one motor not functioning
2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Some of the pilots are gravitating to stamp collecting. Much less frustrating and you don't have pages of instruction to read and learn before you start.
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

so what im gonna do now forget this issue thats why im here these forums asking for help we are same all here playing these damn drones. now im asking in your part if these gonna happen what you gonna do?

2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

The best way to describe what happened is a flight video, if you have one.  That may be what DJI would like to see to attempt to determine the cause.
2015-3-7
Use props
perdidoflyer
lvl.2

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-7 22:27
Yes I think the wire has broken because it may have been damaged before soldering and/or the wires ...

Guy - I agree, and IMHO, DJI really needs to address the wiring to the ESC's...it should be a plug connection on both ends of the ESC. The solder points are very close together, and it takes a fair amount of skill not to apply too much heat to the ESC, or to leave a stray piece of solder between two of the points. This would be especially helpful with the problems with the V3's and confusion around the ESC's, as well as those that have sought to upgrade to the new motors/ESC's used in the V3's. As an alternate, DJI should offer motors and ESC's in matched and pre-soldered sets. Again, MHO.
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

That is some of the ass ugliest soldering I have ever seen in my life as a former technician...
It looks to me like it had been re soldered and the black wire is extremely brittle looking as well
2015-3-7
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

There seems to be a problem with these motor wires breaking due to vibration stress. These motor wires on the new 2312 motors are one solid wire that is not flexible. The old motors had multiple flexible strands. DJI seems to have noticed this problem and have recently started putting silicone over the 3 motor wires to reduce vibrations. Most recently DJI has put heat shrink over the motor wires on new units.

A few months ago there were problems with the ESC not being compatible with the new 2312 motors. These incompatible ESCs would overheat causing wire failure. They fixed this overheating problem with new version 2.1 ESC but the vibration problem is still precent.

Here is some information
http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... 32368&start=610

http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... 32368&start=700

www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32368

The same red motor wire came off my phantom and it crashed into a lake.
my pictures... before failure    https://www.dropbox.com/home/Bef ... with%20wrong%20ESCs

After failure... https://www.dropbox.com/home/After%20Failure%20-%20Pictures

Video of my phantom failure and crash...

I contacted DJI. They initially offered 30% off a new phantom 2. After a few more emails They offered 50% off a new one. I accepted this offer, doest seem like I could get more from them.
2015-3-7
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

Here is my post from a few months ago regarding ESC issues.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... id=4472&lang=en

So two problems:
1- If your ESC is not firmware version 2.1 then you have some risk of ESC overheating causing problems
2-Motor wires on new motors are stiff and can break over time due to vibrations, crashes, overheating
2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Myron, On the earlier post you indicated you had a hard landing which almost broke your landing gear.  Not too long after (first one dated the previous day) you said you had a failure/crash and found the wire broken from it's connection on the ESC.  It is possible that the hard landing caused the damage to the wire and caused the crash on the next flight.  That is what I was trying to convey in my earlier post.  You indicated you had a GoPro and gimbal.  Can you post the flight video on the forum?
2015-3-7
Use props
RCblognl
lvl.1

Netherlands

Myron, is your esc version also 2.1?
Thanks.
2015-3-7
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

RCblognl Posted at 2015-3-8 03:14
Thanks.

He has a yellow mark on the capacitor. I remember reading somewhere that one way to identify you have the correct,esc on the upgraded motor was by the yellow mark. Doesn't appear to be an esc problem as the esc looks fine with the exception of the broken wire which looks like a clean break and not the result of stress/ over heating.
2015-3-7
Use props
RCblognl
lvl.1

Netherlands

I see.
A possible solution to the wire breaking is providing some support on the motor wire ends.
Some good quality hot glue might do the trick, covering the three solder joints up to a small part of the wire, so that entire part is supported against vibrations. But be careful not to cover any part of the mosfets of course.
The Walkera TALI H500 hexacopter also suffers from wire breakage, having motor wires with even a single solid strand (new Phantom's have 2 solid strands). People have applied hot glue to the solder points over there as well, with good results.

2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

oakspi Posted at 2015-3-8 02:20
Myron, On the earlier post you indicated you had a hard landing which almost broke your landing gear ...

oak

the previous post that was late 5:00 pm there was the software issue the phantom doesnt return home and im saying almost broke the landing gear because it land little bit fast than normal one so i downgraded to 3.08 then the issue fix im not totally sure if this was the cause although he landed in a right position.  the drone crash that was around 7:00 evening i was try to test steady hover if the drone RTH in running out of battery im wondering why this happen ive been a lots of flights. about the visoe your asking for my mikstake i forgot to record it. honetly oak i lost huge amount of investment here my h3-3d gimbal broke, body shell bending and landing gear as well.
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 05:31
If they have used solid wires on my Phantom I am going to be really annoyed. That is totally incom ...

i check the wire in motor connected to esc solid wire the soldering lead point on the esc was crack the vibration start cause of this.
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

RCblognl Posted at 2015-3-8 03:14
Thanks.

rc

as i check the esc indicate V2. 1
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

until now no email receive from dji company
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 07:55
I am interested in how many flights the Phantom has had.

Regards

i have a lots of videos the one in my avatar taken from my phantom sunset i live boracay island philippines.
10495700_440640506087352_6210515356546315738_o.jpg
10974471_440637802754289_4576731680506175886_o.jpg
10914955_435003749984361_3798635623552317174_o.jpg
10830900_440645686086834_2070915253045416067_o.jpg
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

okey i will upload some videos soon once i got there in the office my net here bit slow the only damage parts of my drone is h3-3d gimbal, body shell and landing gear so dji possible to replace these damage item? the problem i was bought these dji to third party reseller here in philippines because no dji authorized service center here.
2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Check the recent posts.  There is a report similar to yours.  It was titled "Really Upset" of similar.
2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I like your images.  Are you using FPV or just guessing where the camera is pointed?
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

yeah i saw it very upset but hes issue he cannot control the phantom suddenly drop but mine i can control since i downgraded to 3.08 the only try to test is the running out of battery if the phantom RTH the after the drone crash. i was using avl58 FPV only.
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 08:25
May I also suggest you edit the heading of this thread from DJI WTF to something like WARNING ESC  ...

your suggestion change the title now
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 08:15
Without opening up my Phantom I won't dispute what you are saying regarding supporting the wires e ...

im strongly agree your opinion multi strand wire (stranded wire) very useful and flexible i dont understand why dji company not aware of this.
2015-3-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 14:29
I agree. I was ready to fly today but have put it off until I check mine.

The other night I watch ...

I cannot believe it,  DJI sent me a satisfaction survey tonight.  {:2_38:}
2015-3-7
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 16:41
You're lucky!!

Opened up my bird for the first time. ESC's are V2, Motor wiring single core' sold ...

good for you guy but mine i almost give up this little machine
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 18:13
Let's hope DJI do the right thing and replace your bird. Please let us know what they say.

Regard ...

okey guy thank you for your concern please need your assistance to send message to them honestly im not good in english im bit confuse exact explaination to them.

cheers
2015-3-8
Use props
lpabmendez
lvl.1

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-8 07:40
until now no email receive from dji company

it is better to call them, seems to get better faster response with a call
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 20:14
Having given it some thought (although my Phantom ESC/Motor wiring connections are not too bad) I pr ...

did you change already guy?
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i send also the picture shown and to prove them that the wire solded to the esc solder point is clearly crack let see what they gonna response by tomorrow or in the next day. this is realy frustration to me im worried about the shipment everything because no service center here in Philippines. if they gonna ask to send the phantom any service center in china im willing to pay for the courrier expenses. this is rediculous innovations of dji.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Does anyone know if p2v+ version 2 had the same type of wiring/solderng on the esc motor wire? I've taken the top off the phantom 1 and phantom 2v+ version 3 and one of the things that struck me as odd was the wiring to the motors/esc were thicker and if I recall correctly I remember seeing silicone white glue covering some of the soldering points to reinforce them on the phantom 1. It seems like the phantom 1 had better wiring/ soldering.. Im not an engineer so maybe this is all appearance and doesn't effect reliability.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-8 21:55
Does anyone know if p2v+ version 2 had the same type of wiring/solderng on the esc motor wire? I've  ...

you must aware because it happen to my case now you should read GUY comments before its to late. just a good advice. i loss h3-3d gimbal avl58 clover leaf antenna broken too and the body shell bend and crack now my bird looks like frankenteins version because of dji workmanship. to all drone users make a petition to revised motors wiring because this is a huge issues to everyone of us.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 20:56
I will understand if some doubt the possibility of this happening but would like to share this....

Yes guy please keep us posted on your recommended fix. Pics would also be great. Thank god for the Internet. Now I'm afraid to fly my phantom 2.
2015-3-8
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules