WARNING ESC / MOTOR WIRING FAULTY CAUSED CRASH.
16028 169 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

the good thing is my phantom crash without anyone hit because i was flying inside golf course. then no DJI representative response here i am sure they are now read all my frustration.
2015-3-8
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

lpabmendez@gmai Posted at 2015-3-8 01:55
There seems to be a problem with these motor wires breaking due to vibration stress. These motor wir ...

I changed the solid wires on my V3 to stranded 18 ga wires.   

A solid wire in a high vibration device is guaranteed to fail.  

The older 2212 motors were stranded,  the new 2312 motors the wire is directly from the the motor armature that is soldered to the ESC pads.  

If the "laquer" isn't properly cleaned pre solder this is also a failure point.
http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... p;start=640#p330550

2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-3-8 22:31

A solid wire in a high vibration d ...

Incredible.. I can't believe the upgraded motors/esc's are actually a downgrade in reliability. Could keeping down costs been a factor or is it oversight/incompetence? Maybe they are designed to fail? Seems ridiculous they couldn't have figured this out during the redesign!!
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-3-8 22:31

A solid wire in a high vibration de ...

mad it is possible to remove the wire connected to motors and change to stranded? in the esc pads easy to resold but in motors seems i have no idea yet.
2015-3-8
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

When I checked on ESC version on my bird, I have noticed the motor wires are secured with liberal dab of silicone at the soldering points on ESC board.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-8 22:45
When I checked on ESC version on my bird, I have noticed the motor wires are secured with liberal da ...

and what version you have naz?
2015-3-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Maybe a good sales job by a wire guy to an uninformed purchasing department...either way...Not Good!
Think for a second why ropes are made of many smaller strands than one big one and are not solid so to speak..you would not have many stories to tell if you were a rock climber if that were the case, If people were flying away someone would get the point real quick!
2015-3-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-8 14:43
I cannot believe it,  DJI sent me a satisfaction survey tonight.

Funny,
I got one to..and it was conducted by a Monkey which seems apropos as I was eating a Bananna at the time...
I waited to get to the page where I might be able to put in a comment or a suggestion and saw the heading "please tell us a little about yourself" and I thought sweet but the only thing that it would let me put in was my email address, so all I told them about myself is that I have access to a computer with the email address the Monkey sent the survey to...
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I noticed there is a nice bend/crimp on the arm of the esc that has the broken red wire indicating it may have taken the brunt of the crash resulting In the red wire breaking. I crashed my phantom fc 40 and bent one arm. Ended up ordering a new she'll and replacing it and that's when I remember the thicker wires/ added silicone and did not have a break on any esc wire. I took photos during the disassembly and going to go back and look at them to see where i saw the reinforced white silicone.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Okay the white silicon is at the end of the esc next to the capacitor on the phantom 1 fc40. the soldering on the three wires on the esc's looks much more solid and better on the phantom 1. I also noticed on the p1 that the three wires coming out of the motor are tied together with tape whereas on  the p2v wires are not...hmmm.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Okay getting ready to fly my phantom 2 to drain two batteries and then place them in storage.I hope she doesn't drop from the sky. I think I'll keep my p2v+ version 3 grounded until more info and data comes out on this issue. Will just fly my phantom 1's for awhile.  ( I should have taken up stamp collecting instead or bought American. Much less drama and worries).
2015-3-8
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-8 22:43
mad it is possible to remove the wire connected to motors and change to stranded? in the esc pads  ...

I cut the solid wires ~ 1/2" of the motors, stripped the wires, sanded the solid wires to get the lacquer off and butt soldered the stranded wire to the solid wire, then added heat shrink....,  Next remount the motor and cut the stranded wire to length and soldered on the ESC pads - correctly and not with the big blob as previously with solid wire.   One motor at a time as not to loose wiring indexing.

I might have impacted my warranty but the goal was to keep the bird long after the warranty expired
2015-3-8
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2
United States

Wow....guys I found this problem 3 months ago and have been fixing them daily. The wires must be replaced or something similar done to stop them from breaking. Eventually every single solid motor wired Phantom will come down.

Jeremy James
https://www.facebook.com/USdronerepair
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Burlbark Posted at 2015-3-9 01:39
Wow....guys I found this problem 3 months ago and have been fixing them daily. The wires must be re ...

Won't this void the dji warranty?
2015-3-8
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-8 22:50
and what version you have naz?

ESC is version 2.1. P2V+ V3.0, bought in mid February, 2015.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-9 02:45
ESC is version 2.1. P2V+ V3.0, bought in mid February, 2015.

Did you have any hard landings or crashes prior to the wire working lose? Do you think it came lose as a result of the crash or did the motor fail during flight. Does anyone know if the motor shuts off completely if one of the wires works lose?
2015-3-8
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 03:29
Did you have any hard landings or crashes prior to the wire working lose? Do you think it came los ...

I did not have any hard landings, I am telling that newer build have silicone applied to possibly reduce the risk of wire breaking.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-9 04:20
I did not have any hard landings, I am telling that newer build have silicone applied to possibly  ...

Is it a white silicon?. Do you know if it  Is something we could apply ourselves? Could you point me to some photos of the new wiring and silicone...Thanks!
2015-3-8
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

I think it is the same stuff DJI used in the RC remote on wifi wire, I could not take the picture, as I only spread top and bottom halves at the rear motor just to see the ESC version number. I just telling what I saw liberal amount of white silicon applied to the wires, 1/4 inch of the wire ends were covered including soldering points on ESC board.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Is it like the white silicon spread along the three wires in the photo in this thread?

http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... art=610&lang=en

Doesn't look like a very professional job and surprised if this is dji fix to the problem. Looks like something a lay person could do however how can they have so much of that silicone covering the esc? Wouldn't that cause overheating?
2015-3-8
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 04:49
Is it like the white silicon spread along the three wires in the photo in this thread?

http://www. ...

yes, it is close. Mine was more vertical, nothing on chips. Not exactly a piece of art
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-9 04:55
yes, it is close. Mine was more vertical, nothing on chips. Not exactly a piece of art

On a positive note it looks like an easy fix anyone can do assuming your using the right white silicon.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

waiting dji response and i send email march 7 8:29 PM but until now no response
2015-3-8
Use props
RCblognl
lvl.1

Netherlands

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-9 08:50
waiting dji response and i send email march 7 8:29 PM but until now response

Anyone know what kind of silicon it actually is?
And given the fact that the v 2.1 ESC doesn't heat up too much anymore, wouldn't a good dab of hot glue on the 3 motor wire solder points (including some of the insulation) do the job as well?
2015-3-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Myron.  It is just Monday morning in China.  What is your email address and I will try to escalate your issue.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

They must be extremely busy responding to all the phantoms dropping out of the sky from burnt esc's and wires coming lose...lol... I had to wait several days and sometimes over a week to get an email response on my esc concern. good luck!!
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 10:51
Myron.  It is just Monday morning in China.  What is your email address and I will try to escalate ...

my email address: myron@iwantlemonjuice.com please help my concern my projects now are pending because of this i have a lots of wedding events to make a aerial footage and now i fell lost my investment
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

RCblognl Posted at 2015-3-9 10:51
Anyone know what kind of silicon it actually is?
And given the fact that the v 2.1 ESC doesn't hea ...

im looking also a good glue paste to apply on a circuit board i'm sure anyone here well experience in repairing electronics components.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-8 23:59
I noticed there is a nice bend/crimp on the arm of the esc that has the broken red wire indicating i ...

actually have two plastic bent issue on left side and rightside and one big the other side the body shell was totally crack maybe 1 inches and landing gers totally curve as well. if the phantom had no issue it will hover without any crash so meaning there is something possible cause why it crashes. then im totally worried why it crashes i try to power on again i notice the one motor turning back and forth the three turn normally so i decided to open the top cover and i did not touch any wiring just to check maybe these motors had an issue or esc problem but i found out the red wire not connected to the ecs pad and the soldering lead clearly crack
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-8 08:01
You should make the pics public on dropbox. It is easy to do.

Regards

guy check this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ch5wjs4byonh08d/GP010141.MP4?dl=0
2015-3-8
Use props
DJI-Terry
lvl.2

Hong Kong

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-8 07:40
until now no email receive from dji company

Hi,Myron,
Your email was received on 3/7, Saturday 20:30. We are investigating on this and will come back to you in email shortly. Thanks.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-9 12:58
actually have two plastic bent issue on left side and rightside and one big the other side the bod ...

Your crash was much more severe than mine. I hit the top of a tall tree and the branches slowed down the fall and I only had one bent arm. No internal damage and after replacing the shell I have flown it a couple of times without issue. Do you know how high you were when it crashed. Did you lose one motor and did it wobble on its way down with the three other motors running or did it just drop from the sky?
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-9 13:16
You need your Phantom fixed quick. You look experienced.

Tell me, do you know what wind speed you ...

if the phantom no problem it can fly up to 15 to 18 knots wind speed in that footage i and one of my friend both fly together at the same wind speed. im now waiting dji company to replace my bird i lost my investment now i have several pending projects. for checking the windspeed i always look at windguru.com select your country and region so windforecast give information how much the wind coming before one week
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Okay I read that you were only 10 meters high. Did you crash on concrete? 10 meters is not that high for that much damage. It sounds like it came down fast and hard and did not wobble on its way down.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 13:28
Your crash was much more severe than mine. I hit the top of a tall tree and the branches slowed do ...

i was fly 7pm evening dark during fall down the bird its wobble because i see the green and red lights wobbling (out balance)i tested steady hover 10 to 20 meters maybe and the motor still intact.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

DJI-Terry Posted at 2015-3-9 13:27
Hi,Myron,
Your email was received on 3/7, Saturday 20:30. We are investigating on this and will co ...

thank you very much
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 13:32
Okay I read that you were only 10 meters high. Did you crash on concrete? 10 meters is not that high ...

i was flying on a golf course a little bit grassybut the grass color brown and not soft because its summer now in the philippines.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-9 13:34
i was fly 7pm evening dark during fall down the bird its wobble because i see the green and red lig ...

So is it safe to assume since you had the wobble before the crash that the red wire came loose causing the crash? Let us know what dji tells you.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 13:40
So is it safe to assume since you had the wobble before the crash that the red wire came loose cau ...

as you can see my picture my brandnew gimbal totally bend i lost 20 thousand peso almost 370 dollars
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 13:40
So is it safe to assume since you had the wobble before the crash that the red wire came loose cau ...

i mean the phantom wobbling during fall down not wobling before falling down
2015-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules