WARNING ESC / MOTOR WIRING FAULTY CAUSED CRASH.
15661 169 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-9 13:42
as you can see my picture my brandnew gimbal totally bend  i lost 20 thousand peso almost 370 dol ...

Yeah I feel your pain. I was really upset when I crashed my phantom fc40 and that was only $500 and I was lucky it only costi me $60 to fix but at first I was prepared to write it off completely.  Do,you know how many flights you had and when you purchased your phantom?  I can't believe now I have to worry about wires vibrating loose. I usually fly between 250-300 feet high so if I lose a motor I'm in big trouble.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i have a lots of videos in my laptop ive been flying along boracay beach check in youtube how byutiful boracay beach in 2012 the most byutiful beach in the world maybe 40 videos not yet edited because my mac not enough memory ram during edit the video its an erratic movement of the video file  im using gopro 4 black. you need to replace your motor wire to multi strand bro before its too late becoz im the one of example of this incident.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Okay is it the soldering or the wire the problem or is it both. I thought dji was now applying white silicon to the three wires leading to the solder points on the esc. Are they now changing the wires also?
I have 44 flight on my phantom vision plus. I guess if I continue to fly more stress will be applied to the wires eventually causing one of them to come lose and my phantom crashing down.

Anyone know how much it would cost to fix this design flaw or will dji do the right thing and fix the early models under warranty. I can't believe this....
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 14:07
Okay is it the soldering or the wire the problem or is it both. I thought dji was now applying white ...

as i check the soldering pods in esc im sure no silicon been applied as the picture shown if the silicon apllied it looks shiny transparent color i think
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

finally dji company asking to send my drone to Hk headquarters this is very looks good support. thank dji
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i think dji its time to re design the wiring procedure to avoid breaking or losing circuit contact.
2015-3-8
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-9 16:29
I have seen a quote on a Phantom repair site for around $200.00. It sounds a lot but it is a time  ...

i have an idea i think every wire from motors cut and extend with stranded one and then both twist paralel and solded with good quality soldering lead after this put a shrinkable tube every wire and then these 3 wires insert to a bigger one shrinkable tube to fit  these three wires together inside, then applied hot air for the esc solding pod maybe im gonna put a white glue paste commonly widely use mostly in electronic shop
2015-3-9
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i hope dji redesign all  the cabling in my new replacement phantom
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-9 17:39

It may be awhile but please come back and let us know what they did to your Phantom to fix the problem. Pictures would really be nice. Thanks in advance..Im curious if DJI determine the Phantom qualifies for free warranty repair does DJI fix or compensate for add ons that were added to the phantom like the gimbal and Go Pro that were destroyed as the result of the crash? I would guess no just like they probably wouldnt compensate from any personal property damage or injury caused by a defective phantom crash.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

It will be interesting to see how the evolution of the motor wire and esc soldering evolves over time. They have already started applying  white silicon to the motor wires leading to the esc indirectly admitting there is a problem.
2015-3-9
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 21:33
It may be awhile but please come back and let us know what they did to your Phantom to fix the prob ...

i think also gimbal is part of warranty replacement because its a product of dji as far as i know
2015-3-9
Use props
zubeko
lvl.2

United Kingdom

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-9 17:39

replacement phantom? you'll be lucky if they offer you a free repair or you'll need to pay for it
they've taken it for investigation, it doesn't mean anything yet

2015-3-9
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

zubeko@gmail.co Posted at 2015-3-10 00:08
replacement phantom? you'll be lucky if they offer you a free repair or you'll need to pay for it
t ...

well in my case if diffrent its faulty dji wiring design and i hope they understand my case its not pilot error, its not a software bug its a wiring materials problem. i will send it by tomorrow well see whats gonna be the results.
2015-3-9
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

can you take a picture guy let me see
2015-3-10
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guy to make sure put a white glue paste (same as paste applied in flight controller main board wiring) in solded area to strenghten agains vibration
2015-3-10
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

if i work in dji company i would strongly suggest the solding point has a small hole (like a capacitor planted in a printed circuit board) is enough to insert the small wire it's a very strong than solded in a flat one.
2015-3-10
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-10 19:16
Yes will do. I have not been able to find it yet. My local electronics outlet does not have it.

R ...

http://www.amazon.com/GC-Electro ... esive/dp/B004SPJN6K
2015-3-10
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guy did you try take footage all the kangaroo swarming in the ausie desert?
2015-3-10
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-10 18:43
Sorry the best I could do without a flash. I used a torch and my iPhone 3g. Got to update my phone. ...

Wow looks like quality workmanship. These look more like the wires on the Phantom 1. You should work for DJI!! BTW where are you located? I might be interested in purchasing your modded and improved  phantom.
2015-3-10
Use props
RCblognl
lvl.1

Netherlands

My hotglue support for the motor wires.
Supports against vibration and holding fine so far.
2015-3-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

guy, a torch?  are you a caveman?  
2015-3-10
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-10 22:05
Thanks for that info. I will try to get it here in Australia but if not I will get it from Amazon. ...

Oh nevermind... You are in the land down under. No wonder your Penguin is upside down!
2015-3-10
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

RCblognl Posted at 2015-3-11 01:24
My hotglue support for the motor wires.
Supports against vibration and holding fine so far.

Did you use the GE  non conductive silicon (listed a couple of posts above) or some other type of material? I'm not familiar with hot glue. Is it safe to apply directly over the solder points? The dji fix is to put the silicon at the end of the wires leading to the solder points without touching solder point or end of exposed wire. Ive only seen one picture so Im not sure if that is the case every time. Im thinking of doing the fix myself but want to make sure I get it right.
2015-3-10
Use props
RCblognl
lvl.1

Netherlands

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-11 02:35
Did you use the GE  non conductive silicon (listed a couple of posts above) or some other type of  ...

Just normal hobby hotglue coming from a heated gluegun. It's non-conductive, non-corrosive and becomes solid when cured.
2015-3-10
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guy apply also from esc to main controller there is shielded aluminum wire and solid in the center.
2015-3-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-11 06:16
I had to borrow it. I was concerned about the kerosene lamp burning the Phantom!

Hey I got an iPh ...

guy lives in the outback.  way OUT in the BACK of the OUTBACK.  with a phantom.  AND A TORCH.  he make fire, pointed sticks, grunting sounds... and evaluations of 6 positional GPS RTH calculations.... wait, something sounds out of place there... j/k
2015-3-10
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

amazing guy.  i would love to meet you in person bro.  maybe ill come down there once there are no more places for me to fly here in the states LOL
2015-3-10
Use props
RCblognl
lvl.1

Netherlands

DJI E310 motors are coming. It's basically the Phantom 2 new 2312 motor in black but..... with flexible, multi stranded 18 AWG motor wires and 3.5 mm bullet connectors. And silicone insulated.
Cut those connectors of, solder the wires to the ESC, and it seems you're good to go.
Since they're basically the same as the Phantom 2 new 2312 motors, I'd guess they'd work fine with the v2.1 ESC's.
2015-3-12
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

wow i receive email from dji its sound good to hear regarding the warranty concern

2015-3-12
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guys what exactly the gauge size of solid wire on motor??
2015-3-14
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guy look hes phantom motor wiring been modified >>
2015-3-16
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

hey guys

im now excited my drone was ship back by dji but i have question the battery during impact although its working because i try to charge it works but im afraid to put back again the battery seems bloated shape what is your recommendation i will use it again or condem?
bloated shape.jpg
2015-3-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-19 20:43
hey guys

im now excited my drone was ship back by dji but i have question the battery during impact ...

Myron,
Do you have only one battery? If so, I would certainly buy a second and third. That said, you can check the battery's status once you get your Phantom back..
Me personally, if that battery took a major hit on hard packed ground I would recycle it.
2015-3-19
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i have two battery the other one is good condition but this one i doubt there is something wrong inside, you mean recycling change battery pack inside?
2015-3-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-19 23:00
i have two battery the other one is good condition but this one i doubt there is something wrong ins ...

Your battery but in my opinion I would definitely not be changing the insides or opening it..If it looks abnormal after the crash and a charge I personally would not take the chance using it..You are only asking for headaches and potentially big trouble..Your Phantom is worth a lot more than a battery!

By recycle..I mean take it a battery place and recycle it..like a pop can or water bottle..I do not throw those kinds of things in the garbage..I recycle them...
2015-3-19
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

ok thanks north i take your suggestion under advice {:3_42:}
2015-3-19
Use props
mangitung
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hi, I also had the same crash as described by myron here. It was HOVERING about 8 meters from the ground when it fell like a rock. The phantom was still flyable after the crash but I took it to the repair center anyway just to make sure. They said the ESC was damaged and replaced it. I didn't see the old ESC. It was a traumatic experience for me.

So the recommended fix I see here and other forums would be to replace the single core cable into stranded cables? Thanks.
2015-3-20
Use props
mangitung
lvl.1

Indonesia

By the way, I totalled my Gopro Hero4 from the crash, bent mainboard and disconnected USB port, making the gopro totally unusable.
2015-3-20
Use props
mangitung
lvl.1

Indonesia

nom de guerre Posted at 2015-3-21 11:49
I would never send my Phantom for repair or warranty without looking at it first. Did you have to  ...

Yes, there's no official DJI support here in my country, only dealers. The dealer said the warranty doesn't cover crashes, which sucks. I had to pay $22 for the new ESC and another $20 installation fee.
2015-3-20
Use props
mangitung
lvl.1

Indonesia

This afternoon I opened the body and took photos of all 4 ESCs while doing close examination of them. I found to heat-related damaged cables or burned mosfets. One of the ESC is newly replaced after the crash last week.

IMG_20150321_124230.jpg
IMG_20150321_124242.jpg
IMG_20150321_124252.jpg
IMG_20150321_124217.jpg
2015-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules