WARNING ESC / MOTOR WIRING FAULTY CAUSED CRASH.
16027 169 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Guy Posted at 2015-3-10 18:43
Sorry the best I could do without a flash. I used a torch and my iPhone 3g. Got to update my phone. ...

guy what guage of stranded wire you use and did you install 2.5mm, 3mm or 3.5mm bullet connector?
2015-3-21
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Tweety P2V2H33D Posted at 2015-3-22 15:27
Hello Myron

I used 3mm cable.

what did you use for connector? if you mind can you share..
2015-3-21
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guys

i recieved email from dji about the repair charge of my gimbal and they charge me 252$ it seems i buy new gimbal. in my humble opinion the drone broke itself with faulty wiring without any human error during flight honestly it really hurts on my side about the charges i feel like no justice in here and no mercy. first the drone repair i was pay 66$ and its okie for me i tell them i almost give up and all my investment everything i have is gone if the dji dont give more discount about gimbal i was decided to sell my drone and give up. i hope dji company understand my situation because my point here is in near future maybe some other users could possibly happen like this. now i know how the dji trick thier customer good advertisement, good sales talk.. but look after sales... this is why guy very upset to them

thanks
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 5.49.41 AM.png
2015-3-23
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

Sorry for your Phantom man. I hope dji can settle something because it's a lot of damage for a solderpoint failure. Thanx for the post though. Next time I'm opening up my phantom (for waterproofing) I'm gonna strengthen the points with a gluegun. Not exactly on the solderpoints but about 2cm away. Otherwise your gonna have a hard time replacing a motor.
Nice shots btw, hope I get the chance to visit the Philippines someday!
2015-3-23
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

tomorrow i receive my phantom return by dji china as dhl tracking http://www.dhl.com/en/express/tr ... 82304&brand=DHL it takes more than a month the problem my toy was hold during custom inspections they required CAAP civil aviation clearances so i spend more time and additional cost of clearances. now i know why dji dont have a direct shipping to philippines due of custome and taxes issue i think. during my phantom was hold by custom i call civil aviation about a drone policy and rules but the amendment base on caap the customs should not hold any drone to enter philippines http://www.caap.gov.ph/index.php ... -aerial-vehicle-uav but the customs still insisting to provide clearance getting from civi aviation. you know guys i was tired of this speding too much time to call every follow upabout clearances. ofcourse dji china nothing to do this and i understand because this is philippines goverment rules and policy.
2015-4-23
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Yug Posted at 2015-4-23 22:11
Hello Myron

Are you going to look inside the Phantom before you fly? If so take some pics.

ok sure guy your request is granted
2015-4-23
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

of course i agree because i want to share to everyone. once my phantom everything ok someone interested to buy as i said in other forums no more phantom hobby.
2015-4-23
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

guy

i recieved the phantom now look the wiring as described in picture they put silicon glue maybe and i have the problem the phantom wont start the motor all i see is blinking yellow.
silicone.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 5.43.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 5.44.54 PM.png
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i think the rc is transmitting because if i turn off the round light in phantom side turns red and turn on change to green
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The screenshots show Phantom mode, if Myron did not send his Transmitter in with the Phantom then DJI would have had to link it with one of theirs, all you need to do Myron is re-link your Transmitter.
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Yug Posted at 2015-4-24 19:23
Are you in Phantom mode or Naza mode?

Yug

guy and john

im sure during the dji repair they change the transmitter mode can you guide me how to change the mode i never been try to do this before.

thanks
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Firstly before we talk about changing modes, did you send the Transmitter to DJI with the Phantom, or keep it at home ?
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

[img]https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BURL=http://s63.photobucket.com/user/John_Warr/media/linking_zpsokkwztks.jpg.html%5D[/URL][/img]
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-25 05:12
Firstly before we talk about changing modes, did you send the Transmitter to DJI with the Phantom, o ...

hello john

the RC left at home im sure during the dji repair they change the transmitter mode can you guide me how to change the mode i never been try to do this before. because the manual says first "warning" im curious about this when i look the lead green lights shows blinking mean the 2.4 ghz is available but not linking

"warning"
(1)Users should not enable the Naza-M function before finishing Advanced Flight Maneuvers procedure in the " PHANTOM Pilot Training Guide”. If the Naza-M mode is enabled, users can switch the control mode between ATTI. Mode, GPS Mode or Manual Mode, and access the advanced settings (e.g. IOC). In addition, the LED located on the rear frame arms will display Naza-M flight status indications instead of the PHANTOM 2's indicators. Do not enable the Naza-M mode unless you are an experienced user or guided by a professional.
(2)You can change to the Phantom 2 mode by clicking the same button used to turn on the Naza-M mode. This operation will disable the Naza-M mode and enable Phantom 2 mode. All parameters will be returned to factory settings.

thanks
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

the flight controller picture only indicate phantom
phantom 2.jpg
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

First you need to link the Transmitter to the Phantom following the instructions posted above.
Don't worry about NAZA mode until you are happy flying.
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

john but the manual for phantom vision mine is phantom 2 im looking the hole but didn't see any , you mean the lights need to to press?
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

it works now the motor start rotating lol
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

OK page 18 of the Phantom 2 manual.
1. Power on the Phantom.
2. Power on the Transmitter.
3. Push the link button with a thin object and hold it until the link indicator blinks red, then release it.
4. When the link indicator turns green all is well.

The button is on the same place as the Vision + shown above.
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

john is this my gain is calibration correct? seems the gain too large
2015-4-24
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Yug Posted at 2015-4-24 19:23
Are you in Phantom mode or Naza mode?

Yug

guy your phantom set to naza mode?
2015-4-24
Use props
buddhabelly
lvl.2

United States

mangitung@gmail Posted at 2015-3-21 17:08
This afternoon I opened the body and took photos of all 4 ESCs while doing close examination of them ...

I'm really not trying to be dense when I say this, I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing.  I even tried enlarging the photos as big as I could and I am not seeing anything that looks like a burn mark.  Could you circle the damaged area or describe which photo has the problem?  (I tried to upload a picture of an ESC with sections marked but I get an error)
2015-4-25
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
United Kingdom

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-25 06:46
john is this my gain is calibration correct? seems the gain too large

I have never adjusted my gains, but they are in NAZA mode so may be different from yours.
2015-4-25
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i think it same value, anyway thanks for the guide man.
2015-4-25
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

hi dji

after i recieved the repaired phantom and repaired gimbal i noticed the gimbal is not in level posistion IMU is calibrated properly i wanna show you the picture soon as i get back at home. i pay for 266 + dhl shipment almost 300+ dollars for the gimbal repair.

myron
2015-4-29
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-30 12:42
hi dji

after i recieved the repaired phantom and repaired gimbal i noticed the gimbal is not in lev ...

Hello Myron

Have you done the calibrations yet? (Transmitter and Transmitter / Phantom?

Yug
2015-4-29
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Yug Posted at 2015-4-30 13:03
Hello Myron

Have you done the calibrations yet? (Transmitter and Transmitter / Phantom?

yes guy everything calibrated except the gimbal not in a level posistion level
not level.jpg
2015-4-29
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-30 14:52

Not good to receive it like that.

Have you done a search on the forum for your problem?

Yug
2015-4-29
Use props
jcm200dsl100
New

United Kingdom

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-30 14:52

Hi, first post

Sorry to drag this off / onto topic, but I'm curious to know how much flight time you had on your phantom when this issue occured?

And to anyone else, is there an easy way to check these wires & solder joints - or do they go brittle and break due to heat? How often should I be checking the board?

I hope the OP gets his issues sorted out.
2015-4-29
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

jcm200dsl100@ya Posted at 2015-4-30 15:14
Hi, first post

Sorry to drag this off / onto topic, but I'm curious to know how much flight ti ...

Hello

A visual check could find a bad joint but possibly not a wire with a fracture. The least you should do to be safer is to silicon the wires back a bit from the joints. The other thing you could do is what I did and that is to replace the wires close to the motors with multi-strand cables. This would require you to be confident in soldering etc. or pay someone to do it for you.

Yug
2015-4-29
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

now my mind always thinking the possibility of crashing again because of this previous trauma and expense a lot of money for repair im now waiting some of my friend to buy my phantom and move to 3dr. the good thing in 3dr if hardware failure they will replace everything including gopro which is very good support. imagine the hassle during the item send back to china and then after repaired they return to philippines and another big problem again in customs they hold my drone because they need civil aviation clearance so i pay it again for the clearances.
2015-4-29
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

Yug Posted at 2015-4-30 15:14
Not good to receive it like that.

Have you done a search on the forum for your problem?

yeah i googling everything the information i got but they advice to return to dji.
2015-4-29
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

jcm200dsl100@ya Posted at 2015-4-30 15:14
Hi, first post

Sorry to drag this off / onto topic, but I'm curious to know how much flight ti ...

as i remember i have 20+ flights i think before the hardware broke itself
2015-4-29
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

i follow gerry manual calibration proceduce seems back to normal level but i do observation if the gimbal issue still.
2015-4-30
Use props
amg280
New

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-30 21:14
i follow gerry manual calibration proceduce seems back to normal level but i do observation if the g ...

For what its worth, I was flying my Phantom 2 Vision + (v 3.0) the other day, and 3 minutes into flight, at 140 feet, hovering, it threw a prop, and summersaulted down to the ground, destroying an ESC (not the one that threw the prop), both upper and lower body shells, a prop, and a motor (spins kinda funky). Needless to say I was less than happy.

After pulling the top cover off, I notice the RED wire was detached on the ESC that threw the prop mid-air.

Before reading this thread, I thought that the impact cause the wire to become loose. But now that I see this is a problem, and I looked more closely at the crappy solder joints on the ESC, Im convinced that is what happened. I eventually found the missing prop (the one that got thrown) a day later over 100 feet away from the crash site, in brand new condition.

Im quite P'd off to say the least that this wire vibrated off. The nerd side of me wants to know what exactly happened when the wire came off? Did the motor reverse? Did it do a sudden, non-inertia stop?
My ESC's are 2.1's.

I wouldn't call myself an expert flyer by any means, however I'm by no means a nube. Ive logged probably 3-4 hours a week for the last 4 months, if not more.

I'm not even going to try to get DJI to fix, reading some of the horror stories on here. plus, I wasn't taping video at that moment. I have a new shell ordered, along with motor and ESC. I figure about $100 in parts plus my time. But I truly feel this shouldn't have never happened, and was a flaw in the manufacturing process.

So for all you guys out there, check your motor wires soldered to the ESC next time you got your top off. Someone said it might not be a bad idea to  hot glue it or use some other kind of paste (that white glue DJI uses??)

I'd hate to see another phantom go down because of such a stupid cause.

Good luck and happy flying!

2015-5-18
Use props
jharevalo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22287 ft
United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-4-23 20:29
tomorrow i receive my phantom return by dji china as dhl tracking http://www.dhl.com/en/express/trac ...

Hi Myron, I am just curious of how you managed to get back your Phantom unit from Philippine custom officials.I've heard a new law in the Philippines (CAAP) requiring drone operators to register  their drones and to apply for license before they can fly.Can you please update and clarify me about this new law in PI.I am planning to bring my Phantom for my vacation this June 2015 and I worry of getting it confiscated in Philippine custom.Please advise me on this. Thanks!
2015-5-19
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

buddhabelly@tam Posted at 2015-4-26 14:53
I'm really not trying to be dense when I say this, I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing.  I  ...

just read in the first post in this thread, its not the esc burn damage it is a faulty soldering job.
2015-5-19
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

jharevalo Posted at 2015-5-19 20:37
Hi Myron, I am just curious of how you managed to get back your Phantom unit from Philippine custo ...

as what i understand the CAAP amendment http://www.caap.gov.ph/index.php ... -aerial-vehicle-uav no one will hold any drone before entering philippines unless your drone for commercial purposes but you know in philippines customs very clever and corrupt once they know very valuable things they want asking money under the table. during in airport you can simply declared as remote control toy plus dont forget to check in baggage. if incase the custom hold your drone and asking caap clearance you can contact this guy working in caap office +639471900680 his name allan garcia the amount of clearance payment in peso at around 300 it take 3 to 4 days proccessing for sure you must give something to enough snacks to a guy to release fast your caap clearance
2015-5-19
Use props
jharevalo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22287 ft
United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-5-19 22:52
as what i understand the CAAP amendment http://www.caap.gov.ph/index.php ... -aerial-vehicle-uav no ...

Looks like the Philippine (CAAP) law of flying small UAV seems so complicated in the Philippines.Getting a CAAP clearance doesn't mean I can fly my Phantom there.They will still require you for a license or controller certificate of authorization, and this looks impossible and an expensive long process.So, how do you fly your Phantom despite all these government campaigns against drone owners in the Philippines? Did you apply for a license?

I found this Philippines Travel Warning for drone owners HERE

2015-5-19
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

jharevalo Posted at 2015-5-20 02:10
Looks like the Philippine (CAAP) law of flying small UAV seems so complicated in the Philippines.Ge ...

i have no caap license yet because i live in the island (boracay) flying drones here is allowed but im careful too because lot of tourist in the island and no idea yet the rules and regulation mostly in the city. in m case during my phantom repaired send back by chines dji and it cost me a lot, frustration etc during the phantom transit via dhl suddenly hold by custom and they said it requires caap clearance and the customs strategy they make something your drone delay a lot of reason like this like that because your drone blah blah so at the end your drone will confiscated without warning my advice is you must be ready anytime it may happen if they ask contact that guy (also email: allangarcia05@yahoo.com) in caap to get clearance so the custom will release as fast.
2015-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules