Charging batteri and RC at the same time ...
1269 6 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I was looking through the instruction videos in the pilot app ...

In one of them there are two guys claiming that you can charge the battery for the i1 and the RC at the same time with the included charger.
In the manual this is a no no!

The charger is for 100 watts ... Im thinking it just might pull this off ... !?

Also ... If the charges over heats ... It only turns off untill it cools down ... It wont brake !?

I wish some one with DJI could clear this out for me / us ...

2015-3-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

I'm on the DJI Forum Support Team.
I'm attaching a copy of the I1 manual.
We do not advise charging the aircraft and the Tx simultaneously.
There's nothing preventing it as there are two leads, but excessive overheating is possible.

Charging.png
2015-3-7
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I am thinking the risk of over heating is bigger if the batteries are closer to empty ... Then if they are half full or more when you connect the charger ... And also of course depending on how the charger is stored during the charging process ....

What is the spec of the charger ... What happens when/if it's over heated?

Is there any risk of damage if it over heat or is it self restored as soon as it is cooled down or do you have to reset it by disconnecting the high voltage ?
2015-3-7
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

w1der Posted at 2015-3-8 04:08
I am thinking the risk of over heating is bigger if the batteries are closer to empty ... Then if th ...

You are welcome to search this thread for your answers.
They are there, but buried in the past.
Most of us are just satisfied that the charger works, and we try to observe DJI's recommendations...
RemE, as I recall, did some measurements that answer your capacity questions.
Maybe sift through his posts.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2280074
2015-3-7
Use props
gwwilk
lvl.1
United States

The first thing I do when I get a new toy is charge up the batteries.  I received my I1 a couple of weeks ago and broke out the battery and enclosed RC, then plugged them both into the charger.

During my subsequent leisurely perusal of the manual I discovered to my chagrin that this was verboten.  But by this time both of them had finished charging to no apparent ill effect.

The best reason not to do this is that the electronics in the battery might not function properly to supervise charging when the controller is also drawing current.

Needless to sayI haven't done this again!
2015-3-7
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

OK ... I need a secondary charger then!

My retailer in Sweden doesnt even have extra betteries in stock yet ...
2015-3-8
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Im still thinking this would work as long as the charger gets the sufficiant cooling (maybee using a fan on it just to be sure) ...
If the 100 watts in theory is enough to charge both devices at the same time ... This should be ok!
(If the charger gets to hot it starts to "derrate" and will no longer provide full effect ... But with sufficiant cooling it will.)

Even my ipad charger will over heat and shut down (or set on fire) if it doesnt get enough cooling ... Put it on an extension cord and hide it under your covers in your bed and you will se what happens ;)

If someone who KNOWS about the spec of the devices and the safety features of the charger could answer I would very mutch appreciate it ...

2015-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules