Error 2002 - bad public movie atom was found
22361 66 2017-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smury101
lvl.1

United Kingdom

New poster - Same problem. Bought a P4P in December specifically for site photography/commercial use. I did a few edits of mp4 videos with no problems using Lightworks. Needing better quality I took the videos off sd card in .mov format only to find I also have this exact problem. I am not as tech savvy as some of the posters above but it seems glaringly obvious we are all having same issue. Im shocked that this is happening, as I assumed it was a problem with my laptop/software. DJI can you please post an update on what, if anything you are doing about this?
I have since did test runs on all my software with other non p4p .mov files and they are editing perfectly. I need to know asap as I will be returning my drone asap on grounds of false advertisement. Your product is incapable of recording in .mov as advertised. As much as drone flying is fun i am not  a hobbyist and did not spend £1800 on a package that will not do what i need as advertised.
2018-2-13
Use props
fanse7cbe59d
lvl.1
Canada

Does anyone know if DJI has fixed the problem yet?  We just finished an aerial contract for a network, delivering 12 shots.  We had the same problem - and not just the inability to play the footage.  Our post lab had to spend hours on the footage to make it inter-cut with the other footage in Avid.  The bill - $6,000.  For 12 shots.  The drone is an expensive paper weight until this is resolved.  Anyone?
2018-2-26
Use props
fanse7cbe59d
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_WA1vvHW Posted at 2017-10-14 12:11
This is completely unacceptable. Selling this with this known problem and then blaming it on other software is criminal.  I am about to return this drone if it is not quickly resolved, by the engineer.  Really bad engineering.

Does anyone know if DJI has fixed the problem yet?  We just finished an aerial contract for a network, delivering 12 shots.  We had the same problem - and not just the inability to play the footage.  Our post lab had to spend hours on the footage to make it inter-cut with the other footage in Avid.  The bill - $6,000.  For 12 shots.  The drone is an expensive paper weight until this is resolved.  Anyone?
2018-2-26
Use props
Sprocket Man
lvl.1
United States

SteveJayVA Posted at 2017-10-2 12:09
DJI Team: If I've missed the solution or other updates, please pardon me. THIS IS VITAL for Windows 10 Users. Essentially, the files created by the P4P are not readable in the edit systems that are used by 10s of thousands of people who, like myself, are video professionals. Incompatibility with these platforms is a MAJOR consideration people will make when buying DJI products.

With most of on this board merely seeking understanding & answers, harm to DJI's reputation, unfortunately, is taking place elsewhere. As you know, the internet is a bullhorn. That this issue would show up on Page-1 of Google search tells you how much it's being discussed.

Many users have complained of unuseable P 4 Pro files; choppy playback, error 2002 bad public movie atoms, inability to import into Avid or FCP without transcoding, and so on.  This thread is typical of the problem;
https://forum.dji.com/thread-95662-1-1.html

Our experience has been all of that + once we get the original footage to the post lab they find that the footage itself is defective; subtle pixelation, artefacts, moire' etc.   We spent time with Avid support (which is excellent) and Brorsoft support as well as hours with the lab.  All indications are that the footage is simply defective.  We've ran tests at every resolution in both mov and Mp4 with several different top of the line cards.  Our software updates are all current.  What I've seen from DJI supprt so far is that they don't see the problem that everyone else sees.  They ask a user for a problem file, say it plays fine for them and says it's a Quicktime issue.  There may well be an issue with Quicktime, but that's not the real problem.
To be real clear - the solution we're looking for is for the camera to film files that can be played smoothly on Quicktime or VLC, can be imported into the popular pro NLE systems, and that will give clean - defect-free shots in post without further manipulation.  Has anyone found a soultion that will let us actually use the machine?  Because that this point it is one very expensive paper weight.

Thanks
2018-2-27
Use props
Gargoylz
New
United States

It is now the middle of March, 2018, many months after the inception of this thread. I purchased my first "real" drone only a few weeks ago, a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. This has been a  dream of mine for a very long time, as well as that of my recently departed father, who was unable to realize that dream or share in it with his son. Imagine my dismay when I cautiously learned to operate the drone only to learn later that I would be unable to view the footage. I, like so many who have posted here, am having a host of issues attempting to view the video files generated by the P4P. I am running Windows 10 and have used every video player I have on my system to no avail. Some give the 2002 error, some play a few frames and freeze, and some actually crash the computer all together. I have never heard of so many problems with a simple video file. One of the applications suggested by someone in "R&D" from a previous post was VLC. That is one of the programs I attempted to use but it doesn't work either. There is NO WAY that this issue would not have been fixed if it was being worked on. Instead of working on cranking out more drone models, how about you take care of existing customers and make sure the equipment you have already sold is viable. I am not a corporation or a tycoon. I am a simple working man with a fascination with gadgets, technology and flight. I am not in a position to just shrug off a $1,500 purchase and run out to buy something else in the hopes that it works. I need a solution for the product I paid my hard earned money for. Is anyone listening? Would Yuneec or one of your other competitors be more receptive to the plight of their customers?
2018-3-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Gargoylz Posted at 2018-3-17 21:30
It is now the middle of March, 2018, many months after the inception of this thread. I purchased my first "real" drone only a few weeks ago, a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. This has been a  dream of mine for a very long time, as well as that of my recently departed father, who was unable to realize that dream or share in it with his son. Imagine my dismay when I cautiously learned to operate the drone only to learn later that I would be unable to view the footage. I, like so many who have posted here, am having a host of issues attempting to view the video files generated by the P4P. I am running Windows 10 and have used every video player I have on my system to no avail. Some give the 2002 error, some play a few frames and freeze, and some actually crash the computer all together. I have never heard of so many problems with a simple video file. One of the applications suggested by someone in "R&D" from a previous post was VLC. That is one of the programs I attempted to use but it doesn't work either. There is NO WAY that this issue would not have been fixed if it was being worked on. Instead of working on cranking out more drone models, how about you take care of existing customers and make sure the equipment you have already sold is viable. I am not a corporation or a tycoon. I am a simple working man with a fascination with gadgets, technology and flight. I am not in a position to just shrug off a $1,500 purchase and run out to buy something else in the hopes that it works. I need a solution for the product I paid my hard earned money for. Is anyone listening? Would Yuneec or one of your other competitors be more receptive to the plight of their customers?

Sorry for the difficulties. I will confirm this again with our engineers. If it is possible, please provide me with an original video from the SD card to Dropbox so I can download it.
2018-3-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Gargoylz Posted at 2018-3-17 21:30
It is now the middle of March, 2018, many months after the inception of this thread. I purchased my first "real" drone only a few weeks ago, a DJI Phantom 4 Pro. This has been a  dream of mine for a very long time, as well as that of my recently departed father, who was unable to realize that dream or share in it with his son. Imagine my dismay when I cautiously learned to operate the drone only to learn later that I would be unable to view the footage. I, like so many who have posted here, am having a host of issues attempting to view the video files generated by the P4P. I am running Windows 10 and have used every video player I have on my system to no avail. Some give the 2002 error, some play a few frames and freeze, and some actually crash the computer all together. I have never heard of so many problems with a simple video file. One of the applications suggested by someone in "R&D" from a previous post was VLC. That is one of the programs I attempted to use but it doesn't work either. There is NO WAY that this issue would not have been fixed if it was being worked on. Instead of working on cranking out more drone models, how about you take care of existing customers and make sure the equipment you have already sold is viable. I am not a corporation or a tycoon. I am a simple working man with a fascination with gadgets, technology and flight. I am not in a position to just shrug off a $1,500 purchase and run out to buy something else in the hopes that it works. I need a solution for the product I paid my hard earned money for. Is anyone listening? Would Yuneec or one of your other competitors be more receptive to the plight of their customers?

Gargoylz, still looking forward to your video if it is convenient. Thank you so much.
2018-3-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi there, for those who have this issue, please refer to 30#, which is from our engineers.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_x4sqnRE Posted at 2017-8-25 12:58
I bought my Phantom 4 Pro+ a week ago and have been getting on great. I've done a few films and watched them on my TV. They look amazing. However, I just put the SD card into my computer and am getting the 2002 message. I'm using the latest Quicktime and Windows 7. I tried all my other programs and the only one with any success is Nero Kwik Media, but it's so bad as to be not worth watching.  I tried changing the extension to mp4, but that's not working either. Having paid out over £2,000, and bought a 128Gb micro SD for the best part of £100, I'm more than slightly annoyed. Has DJI come up with a solution yet?

Hi there, sorry for the late covering your message. Please kindly refer to our engineers' reply on 30#. Appreciate it.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fansf17b460a Posted at 2017-8-18 14:41
I was able to rename the extension to MP4 and then Adobe media encoder recognized they are HEVC (H.265) format. I chose to record in H.265 because it is a better codec than H.264. It appears this means I have to re-encode the video to start working with the format. I am converting to UHD with DNxHR matching the frame rate I recorded in. So long story short rename the extension to .MP4 and use Adobe encoder to re-encode the files properly. Very happy this can be batched.

DJI please fix this encoding bug and do better testing before releasing updates or you will lose customers. We are not all hobbisty, I am a professional and if your drone stops me from being able to do my work then I will choose another drone company.

Terribly sorry for the late reply, please kindly note that some editors might not support H.265 editing, or needed update. Or you can also try Premier 2017 for editing. Thank you for your support.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_7hV0qWm Posted at 2017-9-16 09:10
Has there been a resolution to this error?  I am also getting the error on the P4P on Windows 7. When I use the VLC player as recommended, it only shows the first frame. The blue bar shows the movie is playing but I only get the first frame as a picture. Is there am update to this software problem?

VLC works, but please note to update the version. Hope it helps.
2018-3-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

swoopcam Posted at 2017-7-10 01:36
Hi Mindy, hi charlesetischer,

no, yopur answer doesn't help me at all because the H264 files don't play in my editing software either. I am usind AVID Mediacomposer a professional editing software which gives me the information WRONG FILEFORMAT when I load the h264 MOV files from the P4P into the programm's timeline.  As ChrisRL  28# wrote,, this also happens with other professional eding softwares.

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. Does the issue resolve? If no, may I know the specific version of your player? Looking forward to your feedback.
2018-3-29
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1322733 ft
Australia

Since DJI still hasn't been capable to fix the issue, I did some more research and found this about the ERROR -2002 on an Apple related wedsite:

Error -2002 means that there is something wrong in your movie atom.
Movie atom is what contains all information about video and audio formats, time, and also the tables that refer to each media frame.
You can try to play it with VLC or "MPlayer OSX Extended" that are less stricts about standards and can sometimes play something that QuickTime Player refuses to open.
SOURCE: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3926076

So, DJI, the ball is back in your site of the court. Fix your faulty codec!
It is really embarrassing that you try to make us users look like idiots. The issue comes clearly with your product.
So many people having the exactly the same problem should wake you up and make you listen more carefully!
2018-3-29
Use props
Zap
lvl.2
Flight distance : 410942 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello DJI could you help please.  I am a hobbyist but still paid the same money as some of the professionals on here.  I'm not as tekkie as some so am not so able to make the fixes you talk about.  The problem is simply this.  I paid £4000 for a DJI Inspire 2 X4S and I cannot upload or edit the clips in Adobe Premier Pro CC which is the industry standard editing program.

What should I do?

Thank you
2018-5-9
Use props
djiuser_HMUSBVq0xYrU
New

United States

I purchased a P4P for our search and rescue unit in Eastern Arizona and now, it seem, it will become a worthless piece of junk if we can't use the video. When are you going to fix it????
2018-5-9
Use props
fat_matt
lvl.1

United States

when can we expect a firmware update for the P4P that will fix this issue?
2018-5-13
Use props
Farmer_John
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI_camera Posted at 2017-7-6 18:09
HI swoopcam,

Have read all the info you have sent. I would explain the reason.

Could someone translate this into English for me, please? Is he/she basically saying it won't work, but it's not our fault?
2018-5-31
Use props
Farmer_John
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Farmer_John Posted at 2018-5-31 06:56
Could someone translate this into English for me, please? Is he/she basically saying it won't work, but it's not our fault?

This refers to 29# (I assumed it would show the entire post, but it only shows the first line).
2018-6-1
Use props
Whitey305
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE 06/19/2018:
I just got the P4P V2 on this past Friday (06/15/2018). On Saturday it worked great: I captured footage, went home, made a 3 minute video. It came out immaculate. I was so impressed. Sunday I did the same, shot some footage, went home and started to edit. Midway through editing, I accidentally double-clicked a .MOV file and it (by Windows default) tried to open in WMP. Not only did it re-wrap that video, IT REWRAPPED ALL MY PRIOR VIDEOS SO I COULD NOT IMPORT ANY OF THE FOOTAGE FROM THE WEEKEND BACK INTO ADOBE TO EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?????? I CAN'T EDIT ANY OF MY FOOTAGE.
WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? What do I have to do to get my original .MOV files to play in quicktime again??? I get the same error message: ERROR -2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie.

HOW COULD SOMETHING THAT WORKED THE DAY BEFORE ALL OF A SUDDEN MALFUNCTION WHEN WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER TRIED TO OPEN????

I just want to edit my footage and I can't import it as .mov even though I NEVER MADE ANY CHANGES I SIMPLY double-clicked and WMP tried to open it and (I believe) re-wrapped all my footage.

PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Michael Page
2018-6-19
Use props
Maxdji83
lvl.1
Canada

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE

October 24th 2018.

On PC, Adobe After Effects won't open my finalized project anymore, after i've imported P4P mov files. This is unacceptable. I tried everything, update Quicktime, reinstall AE, change file extension (as stupid as it sounds).

Where's the official thread for this? Where's the official email sent to all of your customers??? I spent 10K on your product.

Any class action against DJI has been started yet?
2018-10-24
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

Maxdji83 Posted at 2018-10-24 10:34
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE

October 24th 2018.

DJI hasn't bothered answering in this thread for quite some while.
F**kn anoying.
2018-10-24
Use props
BradCFD
New

United States

Just tried support again, They are pretending they never heard of the issue published on their own website. Said they are gonna have their engineers look into it. Don't hold your breath, they don't seem to care at all. I will recommend the competition to my colleagues. I have a deadline and a bunch of useless footage. DJI=Dishonest Jerks Incorporated. Shameful!
2018-12-4
Use props
swoopcam
lvl.1
Australia

BradCFD Posted at 12-4 08:37
Just tried support again, They are pretending they never heard of the issue published on their own website. Said they are gonna have their engineers look into it. Don't hold your breath, they don't seem to care at all. I will recommend the competition to my colleagues. I have a deadline and a bunch of useless footage. DJI=Dishonest Jerks Incorporated. Shameful!

The engineers will look into it - yeah, no ... Sherlok, that's what they promised me in May 2017. My P4P is still causing the same problems over 1 1/2 years later...

Try to re-encode the footage with a standalone encoder. It is not ideal but it works. DaVinci Resolve also seems to be able to deal with the corrupt DJI files. There is a free version for download at their website.
2018-12-4
Use props
drone.909
New

United States

swoopcam Posted at 2018-12-4 14:17
The engineers will look into it - yeah, no ... Sherlok, that's what they promised me in May 2017. My P4P is still causing the same problems over 1 1/2 years later...

Try to re-encode the footage with a standalone encoder. It is not ideal but it works. DaVinci Resolve also seems to be able to deal with the corrupt DJI files. There is a free version for download at their website.

4/16/19 . still experiencing this problem. embarrassing for DJI
2019-4-16
Use props
fansd1cc70da
lvl.1

United States

drone.909 Posted at 4-16 06:49
4/16/19 . still experiencing this problem. embarrassing for DJI

Sad - glad I found this thread b4 purchasing - was all set to pull the trigger but now I don't think so - was looking forward to the dji unit but this issue is untenable
2019-4-21
Use props
Djamil Cassim
New

Morocco

Hello for people using Avid MC and Windows 10 with DJI Phantom4 drone and having "Wrong format" in Avid or "Error 2002" in QT7 :
FIRST, Quicktime7 is no more supported by Apple since years and it contains security fails, you should not use it anymore, you can still install QT codecs alone from the install pack, uncheck "QT player" on custom install
SECOND, you have to RENAME your DJI file from*.MOV to *.mp4 to AMA link in Avid then you can transcode to 4k/2K or HD depending your project in  DNX flavor you want with Avid (because vidz will be slow as hell or won t play without error, you can't read 4k mp4 realtime in AMA or maybe with a savage beast PC) Of course you can transcod to LQ proxies to edit and link back to AMA (original mp4 DJI file) for HQ transcod or export
2019-5-19
Use props
zhelyazko
lvl.1
Bulgaria

I have a Phantom 4 Pro plus and experienced the same issue with one of my mov vide files. Adobe premiere pro would returned an error when I tried to load the file for editing. I searched for a solution and the best one that I have found is to just convert/save the file using vlc media player - all free and very fast as the media data is not being touched just the atom data, it took like 20 sec on an average computer for a 4 gb  file. Here is how it works :

1. Open vlc media player
2. go to media  and choose convert/save or simply press ctrl+R from your keyboard.
3. Add the corrupted file
4. click on convert/save
5. click on the settings icon and choose the format in which you like to save the video
6. on the next screen choose the path where to save the new file and the name
7. go to the video codec tab and select the option - keep the original video track
8 go back to the first tab and click on save

Now your new video file will be corrected and will load just fine.
2020-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules