Barbados Drone Ban!
7614 17 2017-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BBZ149
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241207 ft
United Kingdom

Off Scuba Diving in Barbados at the end of the Month. I was loking forward to taking the Mavic till I read this  LINK {:4_157:} FFS!!!
2017-5-10
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Bummer. A beautiful place to fly.  Too bad the govt doesn't have their act together. Enjoy diving. (don't buy anything from anyone on a personal watercraft)
2017-5-10
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cheers, ill take your advice on that!!

I'm confused as to the 12 Month ban starting from March 10th 2016
2017-5-10
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

BBZ149 Posted at 2017-5-10 06:33
Cheers, ill take your advice on that!!

I'm confused as to the 12 Month ban starting from March 10th 2016

The ban started April 1st 2016 and was limited to 12 month to be able to create proper regulations. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know what the new regulations are, or if there any and if the ban has been extended.
2017-5-10
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Dronoob Posted at 2017-5-10 06:51
The ban started April 1st 2016 and was limited to 12 month to be able to create proper regulations. Unfortunately, nobody seems to know what the new regulations are, or if there any and if the ban has been extended.

Yeah I read that later on! I just want to know if I can take it as I'm 90% leaving it at Home at the mo :-(

Real shame as would be a great place to shoot some Video!

I just Emailed David Jessop who is a consultant to the Caribbean Council at  david.jessop@caribbean-council.org and I patiently await a reply
2017-5-10
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
United Kingdom

No reply from them yet so just Emailed annette.weekes@customs.gov.bb  who is in the Customs and Excise Department Barbados.
2017-5-12
Use props
fans8f60fcd9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425246 ft
Barbados

I'm currently sitting on a beach in Barbados and was equally gutted I couldn't bring my mavic. However when I arrived at Barbados airport there is no x-ray or scanners or any sort. A guy asked me what I had in my bag to which I replied iPad, go pro etc and without even looking in it said welcome to Barbados.... so you could get lucky but the ban is 100% still in place.
2017-5-12
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans8f60fcd9 Posted at 2017-5-12 07:27
I'm currently sitting on a beach in Barbados and was equally gutted I couldn't bring my mavic. However when I arrived at Barbados airport there is no x-ray or scanners or any sort. A guy asked me what I had in my bag to which I replied iPad, go pro etc and without even looking in it said welcome to Barbados.... so you could get lucky  but the ban is 100% still in place.

Thanks for the info and hope your having a great time!! Ill just leave it at Home! real shame but probably not worth the agro
2017-5-13
Use props
fans8f60fcd9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425246 ft
United Kingdom

I'm actually just home today, you will love it there. i actually asked at the airport and they confirmed the ban had been continued so I wouldn't risk taking it unfortunately!
2017-5-14
Use props
Techtoys
New
United States

BBZ149 Posted at 2017-5-12 01:33
No reply from them yet so just Emailed   who is in the Customs and Excise Department Barbados.

I also emailed Annette months ago about the drone ban and got no response. I probably wouldn't respond to emails in Barbados either! Haha!

It's good to hear from some people who have been down there recently! I have seen several recent vacation videos posted to YouTube that include drones flown in Barbados. I messaged one guy and he said the drone ban was still in effect when he was there but no one checked so he successfully took his Mavic in.

I'm not going to chance lugging my Phantom over but I did preorder a Spark!! I plan to bury the little guy in my camera bag and hope they don't search too hard. I just want some good shots from my Honeymoon, not like it's going to hurt anything. Obviously, some people are still taking them on vacation (YouTube).

This was posted about a week ago. If he can get that big red monster in, I should be able to get a tiny Spark in. (See 4:20 min)
https://youtu.be/dtGCCHbQT_4
IMG_9389.PNG
2017-6-5
Use props
info.abovebarba
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5763537 ft
  • >>>
Barbados

The ban is still in place. It's a pain in the ass.

If you're lucky, you'll sneak through and then it's your call - you'll effectively be flying illegally as you have no license and are unregistered so if caught they can confiscate your rig and destroy it.

If flying, please be aware of the local regs though!
2017-6-12
Use props
Techtoys
New
United States

info.abovebarba Posted at 2017-6-12 10:22
The ban is still in place. It's a pain in the ass.

If you're lucky, you'll sneak through and then it's your call - you'll effectively be flying illegally as you have no license and are unregistered so if caught they can confiscate your rig and destroy it.

Thanks for your response!! I really don't want to do anything illegally or unsafe. It's just good to hear from someone who actually knows first hand. It would be nice if information were more accessible, about the ban/current laws. It's hard to find anything definitive about it.

Do you have any resources you could suggest for getting information on applying for a drone license or even just information on the local drone laws?

Thanks!
2017-6-19
Use props
Sparkie81
New
United States

Heading to Barbados in three weeks. Has anybody tried getting a drone in?  I really want to bring it but I'm super nervous. I heard in a carry on you will be ok
2017-8-30
Use props
ElectronicKrazy
New
Flight distance : 1060 ft
Barbados

http://www.cbc.bb/index.php/component/k2/item/1964-barbados-imposes-ban-on-importation-of-drones-until-2018  Drone are banned in Barbados through March 2018.
2017-9-14
Use props
ElectronicKrazy
New
Flight distance : 1060 ft
Barbados

http://www.cbc.bb/index.php/comp ... f-drones-until-2018
2017-9-14
Use props
Carlrez
New

United States

My wife and I are heading there in April.  Does anyone know what the latest is?  I read that the ban has been extended through this month.  I also read that exceptions for import and immediate export after use are available on a case by case basis.  Does anyone know where to apply or who to contact for getting an exception or permit?
2018-3-10
Use props
BBZ149
lvl.2
United Kingdom

This is what I recieved from David at caribbean-council.org. To be fair I am glad I never took my Drone as it was quite windy in June 2017! Apart from the fantastic Beaches there's not a lot to really film anyway where I stayed!

Dear Terry

Apologies for the delay in replying. I am afraid I am not an expert on regulations and have not seen anything recently from Barbados .

There was a twelve month ban from March 2016 pending legislation but I have not yet seen anything more on this. Normally legislation takes a long time to be passed in the Caribbean. The problem in Barbados is that the approach path to the airport is along the West and South coast  and is the area most likely to be designated as a no fly zone.

You will also need to find out what the temporary import rules are as customs in some countries can be tricky especially. From what you say you are flying the drone for pleasure but  if you are using a drone for commercial purposes and there are local companies offering such services some countries can be difficult.

I think you should call the Barbados Tourist Board in London and ask. Their phone number is 020 7299 7175. You could also call the Caribbean Tourism Organisation’s office here. 0208-948-0057 and ctolondon@caribtourism.com

I'm intending writing about this again, arguing there should be a harmonisation of rules for visitors and a site where the information is available for private and commercial users. I would be interested to know how you get on

Best regards

David J

2018-3-11
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft

Here is good news about Barbados. You can get prior approval to fly in Barbados. Fill out form 33 TU033  at http://www.telecoms.gov.bb/websi ... le&id=30&Itemid=132
Then, email to Winston Devonish, Chief Telecommunications Officer at winston.devonish@telecoms.gov.bb. They will not process your application until they receive a $30 license fee. I mailed a check from Miami to Barbados. I just received my permit and license by email today, and will be headed to Barbados in 3 weeks. You still have to declare the drone when you go through Customs. You must also take the drone with you when you leave. I wonder what would happen if you crash into the ocean and cannot  recover the drone when you depart?

TC
2018-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules