Pilot had Inspire 2 shot down by neighbor
1042 3 2017-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tylermason
lvl.2

United States

This happened last month, but I recently interviewed the drone pilot in Tennessee who had his drone shot down by his neighbor on Easter Sunday. I talked to both the pilot and a drone attorney about the whole incident. The attorney had some interesting insight into the case, saying he doesn't believe it's a federal crime to shoot at a drone (he cites that the legalese is worded to include manned aircraft but not drones).

I'm curious to see/hear what other pilots think. I'm not sure I'd handle it very well if someone shot down my drone...
2017-5-10
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

From what I have heard and read (I cannot cite any of this - its just a blurb I heard in my memory) it is a federal offense to shoot at ANY aircraft..
2017-5-10
Use props
MJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74783 ft
United States

+1

14 CFR 1.1, General Definitions:  "Aircraft. A device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air."

FAA quote regarding firing on unmanned aircraft: "...hit by gunfire could crash, causing damage to persons or property on the ground, or it could collide with other objects in the air. Shooting at an unmanned aircraft could result in criminal or civil liability, just as would firing at a manned airplane."

Regards,

Mike
2017-5-11
Use props
maxdd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 889531 ft
United States

'Shooting at an unmanned aircraft could result'

The word could is somewhat troublesome here...
2017-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules