Landing S1000 tips?
807 6 2017-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

Practicing the simple art of landing the s1000 manually, and have broken 3 props in two crashes in the past week.   Hoping someone out there has mastered the art and has some tips.

I am landing on a grass-field, with a slight slope to it.

Do I have to build a 4'x4' "platform" and level it using adjustable feet?  

I come down as gently as can be, but the props keep going for a second or two after I shut them off, and that is usually where it tips and turns to the earth.

Should I shut them off (both sticks inward and down) just before the gear touches down?

Advice appreciated...

-Peter
2017-5-10
Use props
nil
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1874137 ft
Denmark

Hi Peter

How steep a slope are you trying to land on?  I don't fly s1000 but Matrice 600 which is about the same size. You shouldn't be able to shut your s1000 down before ground contact by means of moving both sticks down and in and it is definitely not advisable to do it this way because you induce a big yaw and tilt at the same time which easily can flip your craft around due to a high Center of mass. A safer way is to pull the throttle stick straight back until the motors stop.

Soren
2017-5-11
Use props
shawn_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

nil hit it above. only lower the left stick and hold down. unless it is a crazy slope, you should not have rollover or impact with ground doing this. also, land perpendicular to the slope, so if you're on a slope, don't land facing it, put the legs in a better position to counter the movement against gravity.
2017-5-12
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 1000 can be a handful in wind and off camber terrain...I agree with the guys above...I actually land with power and ease it down once the skid(s)  have made contact on a cambered area...this way if things start going bad I can spool up quickly and correct or abort....we all have different techniques but thats how I do it....
2017-5-16
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

shawn_ Posted at 2017-5-12 06:00
nil hit it above. only lower the left stick and hold down. unless it is a crazy slope, you should not have rollover or impact with ground doing this. also, land perpendicular to the slope, so if you're on a slope, don't land facing it, put the legs in a better position to counter the movement against gravity.

Thanks.  I think those two replies are great.  I also think I have waited too long to turn down the throttle to zero.   While descending very slowly, if I take the throttle to zero when I am about an inch above the ground, it gives the receiver a chance to get the command, process it, send it to the motors and have them react.  IT seems to land convincingly that way.   Thanks.

-Peter
2017-5-17
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

nil Posted at 2017-5-11 12:06
Hi Peter

How steep a slope are you trying to land on?  I don't fly s1000 but Matrice 600 which is about the same size. You shouldn't be able to shut your s1000 down before ground contact by means of moving both sticks down and in and it is definitely not advisable to do it this way because you induce a big yaw and tilt at the same time which easily can flip your craft around due to a high Center of mass. A safer way is to pull the throttle stick straight back until the motors stop.

Thanks.   Your answer and that of "hobbyist_" does the trick.
2017-5-17
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-5-16 13:02
The 1000 can be a handful in wind and off camber terrain...I agree with the guys above...I actually land with power and ease it down once the skid(s)  have made contact on a cambered area...this way if things start going bad I can spool up quickly and correct or abort....we all have different techniques but thats how I do it....

Thanks for the reply.   The trick for me is to commit to the off-motors just as, or just before, it touches the ground.
2017-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules