123Next >
19275 101 2014-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Thank you for your kind understanding.
We value each customer and  keep advancing our product&service.
2014-10-14
Use props
terry.kaas
New

United States

I just received my P2V+ 4 days ago, and am experiencing the same issue.  I didn't notice it at first, because I was still just trying to keep it upright, but in hindsight I think it may have contributed to my first flight crash, as when I let go of the "sticks" it continued on it's high speed trajectory into the ground. Fortunately I was at the beach, so it hit sand, (hard enough to eject the battery, and ruin 2 rotors). Thankfully no other apparent damage though. When I really noticed the GPS issue, was right after I installed the rotor guards and taller landing gear. Can't really see how that would affect the GPS though, even though it did require re-attaching the compass, and I did of course re-calibrate  it. I haven't really experimented enough to know if recording video has any effect or not. I did try the foil shielding, and did not notice any difference at all. I use the GoSatWatch app to determine how many GPS satellites are overhead at any given moment, and I do not receive as many as I believe I should. Currently, I'm reluctant to let it go BVR, as I doubt I would get it back. (I'm surrounded by water) I hope someone figures out the problem soon, and that it is a DIY fix.
2014-10-14
Use props
Filiep
lvl.2

Belgium

Hello everyone, I was thinking out loud what my dealer told me about  solar activity and flying. He consulted me not to go flying without having checked these solar activity values first.  As you can see in the picture the last hours were very bad to fly and a big chance of losing your GPS signal dixit my dealer?

download: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... ar_activity_monitor

Have a nice day!

Solar Activity

Solar Activity
2014-10-14
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Filiep Posted at 2014-10-15 14:54
Hello everyone, I was thinking out loud  what my dealer told me about  solar activity and flying.  ...

Great job Filiep in sharing that information! I was going to sent you a message on Facebook about the topic of solar flares / K-Index. It is something not to be taken lightly that I am sure many inexperienced pilots are not even aware of. So glad to hear your flight went well yesterday!
2014-10-15
Use props
Filiep
lvl.2

Belgium

for once I did something good, rolf!
2014-10-15
Use props
Jddux
New

United States

DJI-Blair Posted at 2014-10-14 16:23
Hi Craig,

We are working on the GPS signal problem.

Any update on a fix for GPS issue? I am not sure I want to use my Phantom with this problem going on.
2014-10-16
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

I phoned my dealer  and had a good conversation with him and the outcome was try and fix it your self .Dji's  service to dealers he recons is non existent. If Dji do  offer any parts for a fix then at least he knows I have told him about my issues  and the loads of other folks with the same .
So  far routed cable under original shielding = no difference
Tried alloy and copper shielding tape =no difference
Anti static bag on top of camera -waste of time
Next port of call =Strip phantom and shield camera cables  and try and fit ferrite to cables
Failing that =Sell it on ebay .
2014-10-16
Use props
Jddux
New

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-17 00:46
I phoned my dealer  and had a good conversation with him and the outcome was try and fix it your sel ...

I only asked because of the response from DJI that they where working on it, I guess you saying don't hold my breath? Unlikely they have a fix?
2014-10-16
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I phoned my dealer  and had a good conversation with him and the outcome was try and fix it your sel ...

I am curious if you track your satellites before you go out flying and at your flying site? I track my satellites at home using the following websites at home on my PC: http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com I also use: http://www.spectraprecision.com/ ... 876.kjsp?RH=PRUFWMP which in my opinion / case has been more accurate. Additionally when I arrive at my flying sites I use an app on my mobile phone to track satellites. I have an Android mobile and use an app called GPS Status & Toolbox. I rerouted my GPS cable and noticed a positive difference, toyed with anti static film and did not yield a result, in then adding the foil I had a huge difference in a good way. When I go out flying in tracking satellites I like to verify 10+ are in the area. Since doing the mods I typically capture 9 to 10 on the ground now. During flight I maintain hold all of them with zero issues. My big problem was in engaging video at 1080p my satellites would drop 2 - 3+ at times. This obviously can cause a major problem to a novice being thrown into ATTI mode without warning. Sadly this more than likely is the cause of what many perceive to be a flyaway due to lack of flying experience. I was frustrated at the thought of sending my Phantom in for service to address the issues I was encountering. From what I understood it could take months to have DJI service it. Based on you did not see an appreciable difference in rerouting your GPS cable and adding the foil I would be concerned. Especially since DJI is now acknowledging there is an issue with the GPS in some cases. Now that my issues are resolved I love they way my P2V+ performs. DJI seems to be going through some growing pains but all and all they make amazing products. If you can't resolve your issue I would either get after your dealer again and or DJI. You have a significant amount of money invested in your Phantom. In the end you should have what you paid for a safe to operate UAV that performs as advertised.
2014-10-16
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I have both models of the Phantom 2 (Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and Phantom 2 vision plus) and just like a lot of other people the Vision plus is giving me problems with a poor GPS lock.

After reading forums and several different user groups I started by checking Magnetic Declination in my area because I read it can affect compass calibration:
http://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/historical_declination/

I read some more and then  checked the kp-index of geomagnetic activity:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html

I've even checked the predicted GPS satellite availability:
http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/

I then decided to see what would happen if I attemped to fly both Phantoms at the same time.  Both quadcopter did a good compass calibration and both were allowed to acquire GPS home lock prior to take off.  The Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D lifted off first and I left it hovering about 5 feet off the ground and then put the controller down.

Then I went to the Vision plus controller and lifted off.  Almost immediately the Vision plus dropped to 4 satellites and began to drift significantly.  I had to keep making minor adjustment to try and keep it pointed toward the other Phantom that was still maintaining a steady hover!

I put the video up on youtube and I'm going to try and add a link to this post.
http://youtu.be/Axik8BIFxp8.  

2014-10-17
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Italy

A poster on phantompilots fitted an external Naza lite gps unit to a Pv2+  the one that looks like a puck cost £70uk so more expence to try and cure an inherant fault in loads of pv2+'s.
He said he had sucess and no sat drop out whilst recording video.
Perhaps Dji might send me a new Naza lite  gps unit.
2014-10-19
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

There is a very simple test,  remove the screws that hold the upper shell in place. With props removed and upper shell in place go outside and perform your standard power up procedure.  Without video running check the sat count in the app with the upper shell in place then lift the upper shell off and move it to the side or up as far as the cable can reach,  take note of the sat count.  Rinse and repeat with video running.  If you see a lower sat count with upper shell in place vs. with it off in either case then you know that you have interference issues.
2014-10-20
Use props
Filiep
lvl.2

Belgium

Hello pilots,

I can not imagine that an international company like DJI will not resolve this problem. It requires perhaps some further research before they can offer a "suitable" solution. Of course, there is the problem in order to fulfill this solution for all users but if major car brands succeed then DJI must also be able, no? They can not afford to do nothing and then launch the Phantom 3....!!?? DJI people read this forum also and need to be aware of the common strength of there Phantom Vision+ users in order to address this worldwide and deliver negative publicity!!!!!!! Or am I just naive? And we do need to conspire against DJI all together?

Please comment your line of thoughts !

Best regards!
2014-10-20
Use props
jprpires
lvl.1

Portugal

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-10-18 07:28
I have both models of the Phantom 2 (Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and Phantom 2 vision plus) and jus ...

Where you allways recording with the vision+? or you started loosing sats just by putting the drone in the air?
2014-10-20
Use props
crc2004
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63461 ft
United States

crc2004 Posted at 2014-10-14 23:00
On the lighter side....My P2V+ is returning to home (China I assume) via UPS instead of GPS. My bad. ...

I returned my P2V+ for refund.  Not something I really wanted to do but since DJI is still quiet about the problem I thought I'd wait until they have "officially" come up with a solution or an explanation. They have my defective unit to experiment with if they choose to...
2014-10-21
Use props
crc2004
lvl.2
Flight distance : 63461 ft
United States

josephbobowicz@ Posted at 2014-10-17 01:30
I am curious if you track your satellites before you go out flying and at your flying site? I trac ...

When I explained my problem to DJI their response was that it couldn't be fixed at home and would need to be sent in. I sent mine in...but for a refund.

Their customer service was reasonable, better than the impression I got from reading other posts. It may not take 6 weeks but who knows. It would be nice if DJI could contribute to this thread again.
2014-10-21
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

jprpires@gmail. Posted at 2014-10-21 06:08
Where you allways recording with the vision+? or you started loosing sats just by putting the dron ...

Not sure I understand what you're asking but I'll try to clarify.  I didn't start recording until after the P2V+ was already in the air.  The video was I posted was just a 15 second segment of a longer video -- basically just more footage of the drifting due to crappy GPS lock.  To the 2nd part of your question; yes, I pretty much started losing satellites as soon as the Phantom took to the air.  Hope that provides the additional information you were wanting.
2014-10-22
Use props
dknight536
New

United States

I tried the foil mod with no good result, then put the top back on 90degrees off and the wire to gps does not have to cross the video controller which helped immensely. I'm not sure if the top is required to go on a certain orientation but it didn't appear to me to change any functions other than the stickers didn't line up.
2014-10-22
Use props
jprpires
lvl.1

Portugal

gil@wk.net Posted at 2014-10-22 18:18
Not sure I understand what you're asking but I'll try to clarify.  I didn't start recording until  ...

I understand now.
Today i have received my vision plus from the shop were i have bought it. They have been testing the problem of loosing gps signal after start recording.
So far, my problem seems solved. They have downgraded the main controler firware to 3.04 and that seems to solve this issue.
Unfornutaly, i still have some seconds of bad exposure issues, but...lets see how it holds in the next flyes.
2014-10-22
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Yup, me too!  I was having the same problems with my P2V+ and GPS within the first week I had it so I called and got a RMA.  Since I was told the RMA was good for a month I figured I could use that time to do some research and make sure I wasn't just making a boneheaded rookie mistake.  After reading forums and several different user groups I started by checking Magnetic Declination in my area because I read it can affect compass calibration; I read some more and then  checked the kp-index of geomagnetic activity. I've even checked the predicted GPS satellite availability.  

Man-o-man,  I figured I had all my fecal material neatly collected in the same bag so I went out for a quick test a couple of days ago and got 7 satellites with no problem!  Went over to a neighbors who bought a Phantom 2 of his own after seeing mine and I wanted to show him how mine had more bells, whistles and flashing lights than his.  About 5 minutes into the flight I starting to get red flashes that I was losing satellites, it started drifting around and then became completely unresponsive.  It accelerated at full speed like it was being flown like a Kamikaze pilot, went into a fast arcing dive through a stand of trees and all I saw was a blur of white through the leaves (Is this what the FAA means when they call a crash a "controlled flight into terrain"...?)  15 minutes of searching through thorn bushes and underbrush and I found the body -- the battery is still out there... somewhere.  

Gee, I've seen bent and mangled props before but never one that was SNAPPED like this...

Looks like it's time to use that RMA now huh?

P2V+ crash victim

P2V+ crash victim
2014-10-23
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q6omlpp41u4dot/Img_0451%5B1%5D.jpg?dl=0
A couple of ferrite's fitted inside the case  so once the weather gets better then try again .The other cables going to the wi-fi unit have no slack but covered them in sheilding tape .
2014-10-26
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-14 22:56
Good if they really did identify the problem but in that case they should also come forward with i ...

Very good point about the registered users, I was asking this only today!!!!

There are many issues and most of us are happy to work with DJI and find and apply the fix if required.
The company is using our input to improve the future devices.
I do believe they are not being totally open about some issues and that is currently the issue that's causing them to look like they don't care.  

Investigations take time, so why not acknowledge that you are on the case and tell us to check back soon, ........
2014-10-26
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

jprpires@gmail. Posted at 2014-10-23 07:33
I understand now.
Today i have received my vision plus from the shop were i have bought it. They h ...

Thats one of the few things i have not done so i might revert the firmware back .
2014-10-27
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.2

China

Hi guys,
If any of you have this GPS issue, please contact with the nearnest support center and we will help to fix it.
Thank you~
2014-10-27
Use props
palak.desai
lvl.1

United States

I did the aluminum foil mod and it solved my issues. I get GPS lock in under 20 seconds and I can even get GPS lock indoors
2014-10-27
Use props
jeffsat1
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Blair Posted at 2014-10-13 10:17
Sorry for the inconvenience.
It is suggested to ask for dealer and send it back for maintenance to o ...

I also just bought two Phantom 2 vision pluses with all the accessories five batteries cases the whole shebang in September from a local dealer in Detroit. Motor city drone company. I am in law-enforcement we were planning on using these to save lives. Both phantoms have the exact same problem. I barely get GPS signal in less I get it way up in the air in attitude mode then Maybe I can get 7 to 8 gps satellites with doing shielding mod. Couldn't even fly it without the mod. But the second I press record I lose three or four gps satellites taking me below the threshold to fly in GPS mode. This is the reason we purchased these items so they could fly in GPS mode and record in 1080p. the possibility of a flyaway, P2V+ never coming back because it never records its home point or just loses GPS in general while flying itself it's too much money and stress to worry about losing every time We would like / need to fly. Unfortunately this is a well-known problem even know DJi won't really comment on this except send my brand-new products in for a few months and they'll attempt to fix it?? Really? After having these for a month you want me to send them back to you for 6 to 8 weeks plus shipping just to make my stuff work that I already paid for? After much frustration and much wasted time and of course the price drop. I have no other option but to send these back for a full refund. I don't want a device that is not reliable nor a company who has horrible customer service and won't even admit there's major issues when you shell out $3k for their products and accessories. :@
2014-10-28
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

You would think that dealers would be chasing dji to get this fixed.
2014-10-29
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

Very disappointed and looks like I've joined the club. I received my Phantom 2 Vision plus yesterday, but didn't fly because it was a little windy and wanted it nice and calm for my first flight.

Today it took ages to get 6 sats,  Then after taking off I would lose sats and as others have mentioned the use of the camera appears to make things worse.

I really wish I had read this thread before purchasing. I see many videos now on moving the GPS connection wire. I wish there was a formal announcement on this issue.

I purchased online from Amazon and if  return for a replacement I going to get the same problem I suspect.

2014-10-30
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

Brian, don't forget that in order to lock onto 6 or more satellites, there need to be 6 or more satellites available to you. This is not always the case. Have a look here http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/ and see if what you're seeing gels with what you're finding in your Phantom.

Keep in mind also that some of the satellites on that chart may be barely above the horizon or behind building or whatnots. They're counted as accessible, but of course they're not really accessible to your copter.

I never have satellite issues, because if I see fewer than 8 satellites on the chart, I don't fly.
2014-10-30
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-10-31 12:24
Brian, don't forget that in order to lock onto 6 or more satellites, there need to be 6 or more sate ...

Thanks, I should have added that I did read a lot of posts before posting this and did visit that site mentioned and other before posting.  The number of sats available at 10 degree offset was 9 at my time of flying.  The information about satellite availability was very useful. However, there does appear to be an issue, because it sees more sats on the ground than in the air, which doesn't seem to make sense and the video connection/recording does appear to negatively effect the number of sats it sees.  
2014-10-31
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Brian send it or take it back for one which does not have these issues  why spend all that money for a faulty product .It seems a hit or a miss  if you get one which has sat drop out while recording .
Dji need to get there act into gear  and cure this or maybe they dont know how to !.
2014-10-31
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

Tried again this morning and 9-10 available but only getting 5-6 and starting to record immediately drops the number by 1-2.

Why don't DJI acknowledge this problem and say whether it is fixed in the next version which is starting to ship now? I only purchased this a couple of days ago so I don't see why I should be returning to a service center when it is effectively DOA.
2014-10-31
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-31 21:19
Brian send it or take it back for one which does not have these issues  why spend all that money for ...

Thanks, I think that is what I'm going to do.
2014-10-31
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-10-31 21:19
Brian send it or take it back for one which does not have these issues  why spend all that money for ...

I've returned for refund. Maybe when DJI acknowledge the problem and make a statement that the new revision has fixed the issue I will consider repurchasing.

From what I've read about the mods (moving the cable and applying foil) they may have fixed the problem, but I wasn't prepared to gamble on a new purchase. Again maybe if DJI sanctioned the mod or better still offered a free kit with the foil I would have reconsidered.

Sad to see it go back but there you are.

2014-10-31
Use props
jruss1966
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Blair Posted at 2014-10-14 16:23
Hi Craig,

We are working on the GPS signal problem.

Hi Blair. It seems to me that it is a very tight space between the gps module and the fpv module. I believe DJI need to make a taller upper body to address the problem and then shielding would do a better job. Thanks
2014-11-1
Use props
junkmail
lvl.1

United States

Can anyone provide a link to the version 3.0 software for MAC so I can try to downgrade to 3.04?  My P2V+ is only a week old but I'm experiencing the GPS drop drastically when recording video.

Thanks!
2014-11-5
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Junkmail look at this thead
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28924
Now do your self a favour and send your Phantom back for a refund and get  the newer version with the increased sheilding , newer motors ect .
2014-11-5
Use props
junkmail
lvl.1

United States

How I wish I had seen this earlier.  I took it to another location this morning where I know I have gotten good satellite coverage and didn't remember losing GPS when I recorded video.   I connected with 10 satellites within 2 minutes, did a compass calibration and started it all up.  Just to be safe I flipped S2 up and down 5 times and got confirmation that I had home locked in.  Hovered for a bit and the sats stayed where they were.  I then went up to about 125 feet, clicked the record video button and all seemed well for about 5 seconds.  Sats dropped to 7, then 4.  Then I instantly got the phantom broken connection message.   I quickly flipped S1 to failsafe but still had no connection.  At one point it came back for 2 seconds and said returning to home.

Standing there waiting with my heart beating like crazy, no phantom.  After 5 minutes I figured it wasn't coming back so I went into the Find My Phantom utility.  There it was on the screen.  I hiked through the woods and into several people's yards.  At one pint I was standing on someone's deck and it was showing as if it was right under my foot but I just couldn't see it.

After about an hour of this, looking in various locations I figured I'd go get my car that was about 1/2 mile away in the main road.  Drove back to the location of where it was showing my phantom signal and started driving around the streets watching the blue dot of me and seeing if I was getting closer or further away from where the P2V+ was showing on the map.

I'm looking around in shrubs and trees of the house it appears to be at and then I hear this awful scraping sound coming from the street.  The phantom had landed safely about 75 yards from where the signal was showing it to be, in the middle of the street.  This nice old lady ran it over with her lexus.  Just knowing it was sitting there waiting for me unharmed while I was on a wild goose chase makes me so sad.

One of the arms cracked and it appears that the motors is tilted a bit as the prop hits the body when I spin it by hand.  Thankfully the gimbal and camera seem to work fine.  I'm also just glad that I was able to retrieve the bird at all.  For while there I thought it was a goner.

Well, I don't know if I'm completely lucky or what but other than a cracked shell, it looks to be in pretty good shape.  I ran calibrations, tightened everything up and tested it all out in the tard and all seems to be ok.  I'll replace the shell and hopefully be done with it.

I love flying but I'm not sure I'm cut out for this hobby!

2014-11-5
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Shit  what a bummer at least you got it back and it will fix .So your sats went from 10 down to 4  when you started recording  mine was doing the same and i have done loads of mods and testing on mine and  it still drops but not as bad as it did  but still i think for the folks who have this issuue  then Dji should supply a fix kit  as they have now admitted there are issues with the PV2+ other wise they would not be fitting all the extra stuff into the newest models .
2014-11-5
Use props
RGB62
lvl.1

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-6 03:41
Shit  what a bummer at least you got it back and it will fix .So your sats went from 10 down to 4  w ...

Yep, I agree.  I'm curious now to see people's experience with the v3.0 version and GPS connectivity.
2014-11-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules