Loss GPS signal during recording process
19277 101 2014-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Junkmail just remember and check the ceramic on the gps unit is not cracked/broken .Just peel back the grey sheilding and unscrew the gps unit and have a look at it .

2014-11-5
Use props
RGB62
lvl.1

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-6 04:50
Junkmail just remember and check the ceramic on the gps unit is not cracked/broken .Just peel back t ...

Will do, thanks!
2014-11-5
Use props
david
New

United States

DJI fixed mine!
I used to experience loss of GPS from 7-8- to 3-5 when activating video.
I tried aluminum foil, then copper foil.
There was a slight improvement, but not good enough.
I kept DJI informed on my modifications, they didn't approve, but were aware of the foil trick.
I returned it to DJI a month after purchasing it, I had it back in 4 days!
I assume this one is a newer unit with the ferrite things and larger GPS shielding that is mentioned online, it looks brand new, my crash evidence is not there.
I won't be opening it to check.
DJI said "We have replaced the GPS module, wireless repeater and video transmitter."
Personally, i think they swapped it out for one of the 'new improved' models, which would not necessarily make their statement false.
I should have noted the serial number.
I am a happy guy.
By the way, your credit card company can assist you with a defective product return for 60-90 days.
I had a 'chargeback' in progress, but I tested the model that they sent me (in lieu of a refund) several times over several days, and it works as advertized. I cancelled the dispute tonight.
Hope this helps.
Be responsible, this is not a toy, as I quickly found out!!
Don't hurt anyone or do anything to create bad press for the hobby. Get prop guards, they work fine, and it shows that you are responsible.
2014-11-5
Use props
RGB62
lvl.1

United States

I just heard back from DJI that this should be considered a manufacturing defect and to return it to the dealer I bought it from.  This is great news!
2014-11-6
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Depending where you live i do know that a phantom owner in the Usa got his replaced with a new one which had the new anti interference fixes inside.
2014-11-6
Use props
RGB62
lvl.1

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-7 04:26
Depending where you live i do know that a phantom owner in the Usa got his replaced with a new one w ...

I've already processed the return with Amazon and a new one (v2.0) is on its way.  
2014-11-6
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

RGB62 Posted at 2014-11-7 07:48
I've already processed the return with Amazon and a new one (v2.0) is on its way.

When re-ordering from Amazon how do you know you are getting a V2.0?
2014-11-6
Use props
RGB62
lvl.1

United States

brian.langley@g Posted at 2014-11-7 09:58
When re-ordering from Amazon how do you know you are getting a V2.0?

It clearly states v2.0 (New version)
2014-11-7
Use props
brian.langley
lvl.1
United States

RGB62 Posted at 2014-11-7 22:45
It clearly states v2.0 (New version)

Maybe I missed it but didn't see V2.0 on any of the listings. I see one listed now though.
2014-11-7
Use props
RGB62
lvl.1

United States

Well I have to say, I think the difference between the unit I had and the one I have now are night and day.  I've put a dozens batteries through it and no issues whatsoever.  I was also surprised to see that starting it up on the house to get the firmware updates done I had Sat lock.. Indoors!

2014-11-12
Use props
mikejimenez.bes
New

Panama

Since my first flight a couple of week ago, I got afraid since realized I lose satellites during flight, so I was in panic because a fly away possibility.  After I red this blog I went to fly my new brand DJI P2VP am realized lose of GPS is occurs when start recording. I DJI known this issue why did they not alert me before I purchased it?  Will email customer services right now..  Very disappointed.
2014-11-23
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

mikejimenez.bes Posted at 2014-11-24 10:13
Since my first flight a couple of week ago, I got afraid since realized I lose satellites during fli ...

Mike so how did you make out in emailing DJI? What was there response?
2014-12-2
Use props
cmyk22
lvl.1

United States

I had reached out to DJI support about two or three weeks ago. I was out of my return period with amazon and was suffering from the loss of satellites while recording or photographing. So my only option was to send it to DJI in LA. They had it for about four days, fixed it and then shipped it back. Really quick turn-around and the repairs (GPS Shielding, Ferrite Cores and shielding on internal cables). Below is the report for DJI on what was done to my bird. Despite the horror stories of dealing directly with DJI, I must say that was impressed with the level of service, communication and turn-around time. Thanks DJI!

----
Dear Jason,

We have replaced the top shell, GPS, GPS shield, Vision+ video transmitter, and the Vision+ 16 pin cable for your Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The firmware has been updated to version 3.8, was test flown, and is fully operational.

Your unit has been sent to our shipping department. You will be sent a FedEX tracking number in a separate email once your unit has been shipped out.

If you have any questions or concerns please contact DJI customer support.

Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible

DJI North America
2014-12-2
Use props
nikonrider
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2726 ft
Ireland

I'm having exactly the same problem. As soon as I start recording I loose satellites and risk a flyaway on my Phantom 2 Vision +.  I bought this to shoot video. I had heard great things about a Phantom, come on DJI what's the remedy!
2014-12-12
Use props
terryackman
New

United States

I have done about 5 hours of tinkering with the GPS issue reported by so many. Obviously there is a problem because ver 3.0 has more copper shielding and several ferrite beads now. I am wondering if the motor upgrade was a necessity because of all the added weight with the shielding and beads.  Anyway, I found the wire under stock tape did not work for me. I would go from 11 sats in 480P down to 7 in 720P,1080P,1080i, etc.. And as soon as i hit record I would drop to 3-5 sats instantly.  I could toggle how many satellites i had by changing my video and drop at least 2 more on any setting except 480P just by hitting record. I tried doing the tinfoil trick on the inside with no luck.

What did work for me was turning the top cover to different positions...Stock and 180 degrees gave the most sats in 480 but also most interference. 90 from stock was most stable but I would lock less satellites. Say 11 at stock in 480 and i would get 8-9 at 90 degree offset. However at 90 degree offset i would lose less satellites in 720p and 1080p.

After hours of experimenting the best results I have been able to obtain is a constant 8 sats regardless of video mode or recording. I achieved this with 90 degree offset of top cover and placing a single layer of aluminum foil on the outside of the drone. Look at the gimble and the 3 wires coming up. This is the side you want to put a small piece of foil. your total sats will drop but the ones you do get are solid and do not change with video mode or if you are recording.  Play with this and you will see for yourself. ..

I know solar flares and how many sats are actually above you do play a role but I know that interference was my issue 100%. I could go from 11 to 4 sats in 1 second and back to 11 by changing video quality. I cant get 11 anymore on the ground but I get 8 and the 8 I get are solid. all it took was changing top cover 90 degrees and a 2" x 2" piece of tinfoil and a little scotch tape.  Again I taped this on the outside of the drone...Play around with a piece of foil and watch the sats in real time. you will find the sweat spot causing the interference. Good luck
2014-12-21
Use props
brian.r.letendr
New

United States

I had my phantom 2 vision plus for two days and experienced the lack of satellites and them dropping once I  started video. I was hesitant to open up my new Phantom but after reading the success others gave had, I followed the instructions To reroute the cable under the factory shield and it worked perfectly without adding any additional shielding etc.  I went from an extremely unhappy consumer disappointed with spending a lot of money for something that didn't work as advertised to a happy owner now enjoying my quad copter
2014-12-27
Use props
prossi
New

United States

jeffsat1 Posted at 2014-10-29 05:04
I also just bought two Phantom 2 vision pluses with all the accessories five batteries cases the w ...

I have the same problem.  Have written to DJI 3X with no response.  Have written to dealer as well and they tell me to contact DJI - new process.  Has anyone had any success with getting a full refund?
2015-1-8
Use props
prossi
New

United States

brian.r.letendr Posted at 2014-12-28 12:16
I had my phantom 2 vision plus for two days and experienced the lack of satellites and them dropping ...

Brian,
Can you send me the instructions to fix the problem?
Thanks
2015-1-8
Use props
donotsellmyemai
New

United States

So, I think my latest mod has solved completely the dropping of GPS. It is rather a bother to do, but now get 9-10 sats while recording in 60fps mode. Had to completely disassemble to get the cable out from the camera to the board. Used copper tape in strips to cover all section of the flat cable, then covered again in the kapton tape to insulate. Also did the small jumper on top of the board between the small PC board and connection to the main pc board. Fired it up and GPS lock is so fast is amazing. This is not a mod for the feeble, but if you can do neatly, it should solve all the GPS locking issues. I have also done the mod at the top of the copter to shield over the GPS as others mentioned, but that produced poor results for me. Now we are flying with 9 sats and even got 12 tonight during test run. Turned recording on/off/on, etc. and no issues at all.
2015-2-4
Use props
manny
lvl.1

Norway

So I just received my first ever RC vehicle, a P2V+ the other day. I was soooo eager to try it out, and went to a large open field to try it out. I was in luck, with the most rainy January ever recorded in my town (2 days without rain!), I got a whole week worth of sunshine with the start of February. I can remember that the quadro was surprisingly easy to fly, even to a complete newbie like myself. However, I did find it very hard to control the quadro at certain points, and it would act very different at times.

After actually getting to know the aircraft, and learn all the LED-signals by heart, I can see in retrospective that the reason why I had trouble keeping the drone steady at times was the fact that it lost GPS-signal while recording. Now, when I'm a little bit more drilled (only have 6 flights under my belt though), I can easily read off the app and the LED-signals from the drone that it is loosing GPS while I am recording.

I can take off and fly around with up to 9 sats connected no problem, but once I start recording it'll drop down to 5 or 3 sats instantly. Of course, calling a Phantom with 3 sats "a tripod in the sky" is a vast exaggeration, as it is sliding all over the place. It would occasionally pick up maybe 5 or six sats and give me a green blink, but then drop down to 2-4 again and go all unstable and yellow on me.

I picked this one up for $1500 and really expect it to work with GPS when recording. For my use, recording cars on tracks and recording in construction sites, CL/HL and having a stable flight makes my life hell of a lot easier. Have I perhaps gotten an older model with the issue, and how to check if I have the v2 or v1? It's really pissing me off, as I need to be able to do a recording in 2 weeks, and really need to practice my flying skills until then.

Are people still experiencing this problem? I'd rather return it to get a actually functioning unit that doing some MacGyver-style aluminum foil fix. After all, I shouldn't have to do a damn fix at all, especially not at that price!
2015-2-8
Use props
cscheper
New

United States

A user on another forum named Burlbark picked up some RF in the GPS band inside the Phantom case.  Later he put two and two together.  The connector from the Phantom's flight control board is leaking IF as RF at the connector and losing a good portion of the signal delivered to the flight controller.  His fix was to increase tension on the contacts which requires taking apart the connector:

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... eo-recording.33453/

I figured as long as I had it this far apart, why not solder the pin clips to the wire as well.  

This fix has allowed my to pull 11-12 sats, and I only lose 1 sat under 1080i filming.

Kudos Burlbark
2015-5-15
Use props
mnetwork01
New

United States

I was seeing GPS issues in my Phantom 2+ that I just recently bought off eBay. Was very hard to get 6 satellites before taking off in my yard. I was usually getting 5. I would then take off and get 2 or 3 more after. I was seeing it drop 2 or 3 when recording too. Very scary to be up 1000ft and have it go into ATTI mode. I have now resolved my issue completely.

I first rerouted the cable under the shielding. I then took Reflectix 2-in x 30-ft Reflective Insulation Tape (http://www.lowes.com/pd_135512-56291-FT210_0__?productId=3012014) and put two strips going lengthwise from motor to motor. I added two smaller strips going across the GPS module to completely cover it. After doing that I can immediately get 8 satellites while just sitting in my yard and that goes up to 10 when I am flying. Recording video now now has NO EFFECT on the satellite number. I recommend using that tape.
2016-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules