Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
VERY UPSET!!!
12345Next >
9633 162 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shades6988
lvl.1

United States

Today i updated my firmware. Went to take the aircraft outside to check out the update. I did all my preflights, compass calibration an had a gps lock. Naza M Mode all switches in the up postion. start the enginges and off goes the air craft straight into the air and shuts it self off at like 40 feet and falls back down to the ground. i had no control of the aircraft while it took off that fast. I dont know if anyone else has had this issue but DJI i need a answer like now. We have all spent to much money for things like this to happen.
Photo on 3-7-15 at 6.32 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 3-7-15 at 6.33 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 3-7-15 at 6.33 PM #4.jpg

still has a full charge

still has a full charge
Photo on 3-7-15 at 6.34 PM #3.jpg
Photo on 3-7-15 at 6.35 PM.jpg
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Sorry to hear,
I updated the other day and flew two full batteries and three more today after rototilling my gardens, I have tested all the new features and they have worked for me flawlessly so far.
2015-3-7
Use props
shades6988
lvl.1

United States

I don't know what could have made it do that. I was not to far from a army base which has a flight line maybe it got jammed up.
2015-3-7
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Did you read the post titled "DJI WTF!!"? Seems to have some similarities.
2015-3-7
Use props
shades6988
lvl.1

United States

yes i did, but I'm not a expert at taking this aircraft apart an i don't know if that would break the warranty.
2015-3-7
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you wish to make a warranty claim then do not open the phantom.
Your first port of call is with the supplying dealer, so I would contact them as soon as possible.
If you bought direct from DJI then visit the support page on this website and fill in the request for help.
Unfortunately once crashed and without some sort of supporting evidence to your story you might only get an offer of a discount on another phantom, but its worth starting the process if you are sure it was not user error such as the battery not being firmly locked in.  
2015-3-7
Use props
nascarracer
New

United States

iv been hearing alot of flyaways with the 3.12 firmware i did it but now i dont wont to take mine out to fly i guess i can tether it and try it
2015-3-8
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

nascarracer@liv Posted at 2015-3-8 23:57
iv been hearing alot of flyaways with the 3.12 firmware i did it but now i dont wont to take mine ou ...

how would you tether it?
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

I could never understand If there are no new features you are not really interested in and your phantom has been flying fine don't update the firmware. I've been on 3.6 and will stay there until the death of my phantom.
2015-3-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 02:27
I could never understand If there are no new features you are not really interested in and your phan ...

Exactly....I can't imagine why anyone would update in the first few weeks after release.....or even ever unless they need a new feature, etc.

Every time you mess with a machine, it adds a degree of uncertainty. I will wait at least 60-90 days after a release...and even then not upgrade unless something is wrong.

My Mac Pro (2009 model) is running 2 OS  10.8
My dad's Mac is running 10.6 - works fine.

One question I have for the OP. You say "GPS lock" - is this a P2V+ ? And, if so, did you go to "find my phantom" before you took off to assure yourself that the Phantom was locked in at it's exact location?

That's a good idea to do with any new craft - or when you fly somewhere different, or in this case maybe when you upgrade firmware.
2015-3-8
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Oh common how does any of this have to do with the update. Short answer it doesn't. There were just as many post like these before the update. Now pilot error has something to blame.  We all know how these reports go. First "I did everything right" then "it just  went haywire". Must be DJI or an update.  There are already plenty of experienced pilots who have loaded the firmware and tested  all of its functions. Me included. The firmware is solid and those who believe all the scare post on the Internet probably shouldn't fly these things at all or stay off the internet. But hey if you want to fly with yesterday's technology by all means. For the OP calibrate your sticks.
2015-3-8
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-9 06:27
Somebody has to test the updates. I am convinced DJI don't so that only leaves the customer to be  ...

It would probably be smart for them to ask for 1,000 volunteers or so.....they probably do some beta testing, but nothing which can simulate everything that flyers are going to do....

I have to somewhat agree that the OP problem may not even have been related to the firmware. I know this stuff happens quick, but switching to ATTI mode is usually the best bet.

Also, being conservative, even taking off and flying in ATTI mode for a couple tests after an upgrade may be prudent.

You can't be too careful...I'm starting to fly my newest P2V+ and even though I've been flying for years I make sure I am in a very large field and that I check everything...including home point...before I fly.
2015-3-8
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

I guess the old pin contact problem, the two pins need to be cleaned before every flight i guess. Its not an ideal construction and it seems DJI programmed the software in a way the motors will be powered Off when the two data pins loose contact which is a bad idea. The Main power contacts will not loose contact so easily, those are much thicker and pressed into the plug much stronger.
Edit:
Oh, i did not read the part where it shots itself up in the air to 40 feet until the motors switched Off. That cant be the contact problem in this case, maybe some IMU failure
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-9 06:27
Somebody has to test the updates. I am convinced DJI don't so that only leaves the customer to be  ...

Yes I'm starting to believe it is dji's policy for early adopters to end up being beta testers. Look at the firmware 3.10 and the  p2v+ version 3 esc and wire fiasco. DJI appears to be listening and fixing the problems only after the early adopters have served as guinea pigs. It would be smart to wait on any new release from dji.
2015-3-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 11:11
Yes I'm starting to believe it is dji's policy for early adopters to end up being beta testers. Loo ...

the problem with that theory is that it can also backfire on you as well.  they could implement a fix something they find out is majorly wrong.  and not tell everyone, becasue hey, if they did, they would be admitting some major flaw (and if it could have caused flyaways or crashes, they'd have tons of people banging on their doors).  so just thinking it through logically, they may fix a major issue and not include it in the release notes.  if you waited, you could be risking flyaway or crash in a totally unknowing manner.  

now i dont suggest this is 'more likely' than your scenario, just pointing out that the unknowns go in both directions.
2015-3-8
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

they could implement a fix something they find out is majorly wrong.  and not tell everyone, becasue hey, if they did, they would be admitting some major flaw

gnixon2015, I've written software for a few companies. All of them did this -- often.
2015-3-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I beta test our firmware and we have others that do the same.  If we had issues we would have noted them on our testing report and they would have been addressed before release.  I will say that those that test for us are experienced users.  We don't choose new users as we need usable feedback and a new user cannot provide that.  Before performing any upgrade a user, especially a new user needs to understand what they are doing, what the upgrade does and what they should do after the upgrade.  Always do an IMU calibration, reset you settings to default and reenter them after the upgrade.  Yes write them down first.  Then when you get ready to fly calibrate the compass.  The first flight check the craft for basic operation and keep it close.  Then add functions and distance as you become comfortable with the upgrade.  
2015-3-8
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tahoe_Ed, how exactly should this be done?

reset you settings to default and reenter them after the upgrade
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Yes please clarify resetting to default and then rentering them after writing them down first.  I also  don't understand.
2015-3-8
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-9 12:06
the problem with that theory is that it can also backfire on you as well.  they could implement a  ...

Dji not admitting to a major flaw or problem.... R u serious? They would never do that. Lol...j/k
Yeah either way your screwed. Keep firmware that appears to be working well but has a rare hidden firmware bug that could result in a flyaway or upgrade to the latest firmware that could have a hidden bug that is not discover until enough users report problems to get it fixed. I still think the best bet is to wait a few weeks on new firmware amd a few months before buying any new quadcopters or upgraded version of phantoms.
2015-3-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

and hey, i didnt update to 3.12 until yesterday for all the reasons you stated.  so im guilty of it too.  but since i was planning on flying today, i couldnt in good conscience, go out with 3.08 because with my luck, id hit some hidden MAJOR reason for upgrading.  finding the worst scenario to be in is like my super power.  i was just sharing the counter view for philosophical sake.  not trying to be argumentative or anyting because i have been on both sides haha.
2015-3-8
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

I crashed my P2 the other day as well, at first i thought to myself it must have just been interference, but after reading some of the new posts i believe it may be a fault that i witnessed. Same story as many, fly out then it drops from the sky, approx 20 ft. only broke my landing  gear so no big deal. So long as this does not happen to my big craft i will be happy.
2015-3-9
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 12:14
I beta test our firmware and we have others that do the same.  If we had issues we would have noted  ...
Before performing any upgrade a user...

This would seem to be important to know if it's true.  But I'm not seeing it.  What page of the upgrade documentation did you find this information on?
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-9 13:29
I am interested to know if you are a paid employee of DJI or a volunteer?

Which model do you test? ...

Well I think he is a forum moderator. I received a message from him and he modified one of my posts.  I thought DJI employees had "DJI -  (profile name)" as a part of their name. He is just Tahoe_Ed? I also read in the "Warning esc/faulty wiring" thread that he was going to escalate someones inquiry to a RMA request to DJI in China and shortly thereafter the individual thanked him after he received a quick response from DJI support. Ed appears to be affiliated with DJi in some manner. Im also not sure if that official looking DJI symbol in his profile picture means he is a DJI employee.
2015-3-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Guy Posted at 2015-3-9 13:29
I am interested to know if you are a paid employee of DJI or a volunteer?

Which model do you test? ...

I am a paid employee, but most of our testers are volunteers.
2015-3-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-9 21:04
This would seem to be important to know if it's true.  But I'm not seeing it.  What page of the  ...

Part of what I posted is common sense and has been posted in forums and documents that DJI has produced.  We always recommend that you calibrate the IMU and Compass.  I have recommended that the FC be set back to default when upgrading.  This is my personal recommendation as I do not believe that DJI has a position one way or another.  
2015-3-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 21:24
Well I think he is a forum moderator. I received a message from him and he modified one of my posts ...

I am the NA Sales and Support General Manager.  Part of my duties is to coordinate the test of products and firmware in NA.  I was given permission to use my name Tahoe Ed as most people know me by that name in other forums.  I have been supporting DJI products since the introduction of the WKM and WKH.  I have several threads that I have started that have over 1,000,000 views and have been around since 2011.  
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 22:28
I am the NA Sales and Support General Manager.  Part of my duties is to coordinate the test of pro ...

Nice... We finally have a DJI support Rep that responds to inquiries on this forum. Are you allowed to comment on the faulty wiring and if this really is a problem?  Is the white silicon that is now being applied to the three motor wires leading to the esc a reasonable fix to solve the wires breaking loose and is so what type of silicon material is used?  Also what do you mean by setting the FC back to default? Flight control? How would you do it? I know you should calibrate the compass after a firmware update however what is your opinion on calibrating before every flight. I usually fly in the same 5 mile area where I originally calibrated my compass in an open field away from any metal or interference. I ocassionally travel 20 miles from my original compass calibration but have never recalibrated the compass after my initial calibration.
2015-3-9
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 22:22
Part of what I posted is common sense and has been posted in forums and documents that DJI has pro ...

It is simply impossible for new users to rely on experience since they have none.  An example of "Common" sense is "Don't fly the craft into a wall."  However, performing several technical operations after a simple firmware update would, by definition, NOT be common.  It's specialized knowledge that needs to be imparted.  And I know you say you've posted this in forums.  But there are so many DJI customers who have never been in a DJI forum.  And they shouldn't have to.  Any update or upgrade should come with complete instructions.

If opinion, you'll want to be sure to state that clearly in your posts.  Since you are a DJI employee, everything you post on an official DJI forum is DJI's position unless otherwise stated.  I'm sure you realize, you represent the company.

Since you say you've personally tested this and have explained the testing process, I feel slightly more-comfortable updating the firmware.  I definitely like the idea of having control during automatic landings.  Plus being able to take off immediately after.

Hopefully I won't run into what the OP ran into.  Plus the person on the other thread.  (Plus the potentially countless others who don't use these forums.)

Thanks for the info!
2015-3-9
Use props
chuck26287
lvl.1

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-3-9 00:10
how would you tether it?

There is no way I would ever make a free-flight with my multi-rotor right after performing any firmware update or hardware/configuration change, even if all seemed to go well.  Whether an issue could be from an unknown problem with the firmware code being upgraded, or a simple pilot error situation, I will never put it into free-flight until I've run it through its paces with a full system tied-down flight test on the ground.

For a few dolloars and a few minutes, you can build a very effective tie-down test flight fixture that will allow secured test flights very easily and safely.  This one is not for a Phantom, but we do the same for my father's Phantom as well.  The concept is identical.  You still have to exercise common sense, though, as these things can be stronger than what you think.  I used this outside with a 15 foot safety perimeter once and did not clamp it down.  It actually lifted off when I started the high-power run-up.

I can't seem to get the picture to display properly, so I'll link to a post in another forum that has the picture:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... ge=243#post30858951

Scroll down to post #3636 (post number is in the upper right corner of each post).  Hope that will show it.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-9 23:12
It is simply impossible for new users to rely on experience since they have none.  An example of " ...

Well said!!! ..You should work for DJI..  I agree with everything you said however if he was involved in testing the 3.10 firmware I wouldn't feel so confident about 3.12...lol ...Just kidding.... I'm sure everything is fine..Its nice to have a DJI Rep actually respond to concerns and provide advice.
2015-3-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 22:57
Nice... We finally have a DJI support Rep that responds to inquiries on this forum. Are you allowed ...

We are now applying the white adhesive to the motor wires to prevent vibration.  This is something that a user can do if you are concerned.  There is a button in Assistant that allows you to reset the values to factory default.  I always calibrate the IMU after a firmware update and when adding additional equipment.  If I am moving more than a few miles from where I calibrated my compass, I calibrate again.  Do I think that you need to calibrate after every pack, that is not my opinion.  Will it hurt anything no and does not take much time.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 23:29
We are now applying the white adhesive to the motor wires to prevent vibration.  This is something ...

Great!! Thanks for the response...Just a little more info. What type of silicon should be used and where should it be applied. I'll provide a link to a photo of someone who had purchased a phantom with the white silicon applied and if you can tell me if this the proper general area to apply it.  Is there any part of the ESC the silicone should not come in contact with? Thanks again.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Okay here is the link with the photo...It is halfway down the page. Another user said there Phantom had the silicon applied vertically along the wires. Does it really matter which direction it is applied?

http://www.phantompilots.com/vie ... art=610&lang=en
2015-3-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 23:38
Great!! Thanks for the response...Just a little more info. What type of silicon should be used and ...

Look at the photos of how it is applied.  It needs to be a non-conductive material.  
2015-3-9
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

Well my phantom has been acting a little flaky since the last update(3.10) so I have nothing to loose...it already flew away once. I'll do the reset, recalibrate and see how things go.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 23:42
Look at the photos of how it is applied.  It needs to be a non-conductive material.

Okay thanks. in the photo it looks like the silicone is covering up some of the chips/mosfets on the ESC. One of my phantoms has the no version esc which is rumored to be prone to overheating. Is it still safe to cover some of these esc chips?
2015-3-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

rdc44444@hotmai Posted at 2015-3-9 23:50
Okay thanks. in the photo it looks like the silicone is covering up some of the chips/mosfets on t ...

That has to be your choice.  I do not know.
2015-3-9
Use props
rdc44444
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 23:53
That has to be your choice.  I do not know.

Okay thanks again for all of your responses.
2015-3-9
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

My upgrade went flawlessly.  I tested it on a huge beach and since then I have flown several batteries.  Everything is working perfect.  Thanks DJI.  {:3_52:}
2015-3-9
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules