Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Pro/Raw Wired Video Adapter Review# Essential addition to OS...
750 1 2017-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Memmi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324108 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Osmo Wired Video adapter single solves the three most glaring deficiencies of the Osmo platform. It's so beneficial in fact that it's frustrating that it's not default behavior of the product. Simply, this is how the Osmo platform should have worked all along.

The three wireless Osmo system frustrations:
Startup time - without the adapter startup time of the Osmo would typically take 60-90 seconds (Depending on how the iPhone wifi was behaving), with the adapter startup time is roughly a third of that at 20 seconds.

Reliability - in traditional wifi connectivity mode exacerbating the long startup time would be the inconsistency with which the iPhone would connect to the wifi and hand off the connection to the dji go app. A variation of 1-1.5x depending on having to force quit the app, power cycle wifi, the Osmo or a combination of all three. In Wired configuration the startup time requires 4 steps (power on Osmo, power on android device, launch app), whereas in wireless mode the additional steps of disconnnecting from wifi, waiting for Osmo wifi to populate and reconnect doubled the number of steps to begin recording.

Performance - without the Wired adapter, resolution and frame rate would fluxuate making verification of focus and framing very difficult. With the wired adapter not only is the framrate consistent at an apparent 30fps but the higher resolution means verifying focus can be done without zoom assists (which don't work well or in video mode anyhow).

So silver bullet? Mandatory upgrade? Pretty much. Only a few downsides come to mind.

1) no android device - while many can be had for under $100 off contract. I had a nexus 5 laying around I was happy to see it supported but factoring in the additional cost is not inconsequential.
2) installation - installation is a snap but the bulky box and right angle connection for USB to interface cable makes for a kludgy setup of an already balky device. I finally zip tied mine to the arm of the adapter (see included image). Sometimes the gimbal would interfere with the cable but otherwise seems to be an ideal spot for it.
3) X3 support - as you can see, i tried it, it doesn't work. I at times, like to use the X3 for wide shots and leave the pro adapter in place.

I really hope to see this build in to future osmo that will undoubtably arrive for the X5R and X4 As it's so functionally superior I can't imagine regressing to wireless system any further.
IMG_1323.PNG
2017-5-11
Use props
Memmi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324108 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hit me up with any questions!
2017-5-13
Use props
Advanced