7179 14 2017-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Girwet
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Hi,

I did a review of the camera of the Mavic as I didn't find any on the internet.

Here is the link : http://girwet.com/tournages/mavic_en.html

The goal of this tests was to create LUTs to match the Mavic's look to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (and Pocket) one. The LUTs are downloadable at the end of the review.
There're useable also for people wanting to neutralize the footage of the Mavic even if you're not mixing it with BM footage.

As a demonstration, here is a video I did using the LUT I created for D-Cinelike :

Thank for reading and watching !

Girwet

2017-5-12
Use props
Superbaso
lvl.3
  • >>>
Switzerland

you're a master!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did you set contrast, sharpness, saturation? Could i use this lut with phantom 4 pro d-cinelike?
2017-5-12
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

"After all those tests, I concluded that the camera settings should be : D-Cinelike filter, User style with sharpness at -1, contrast at 0 and saturation at +1."

thats already been said on his page

and... good job ! nice webside! and LUT! I will give it a try !
2017-5-12
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, Thanks for all the research! I downloaded the LUT you created but unfortunately it won't open in Premiere pro cc, any ideas? Thanks-Joshua
2017-5-12
Use props
SteelFlyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 286076 ft
United States

Outstanding.  Those cut together nicely.  I have a BMPCC.  Will definitely give this a try.
2017-5-13
Use props
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320591 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

nice, what made you decide on sharpness at -1. from my understanding the Mavic introduces in-camera noise reduction when sharpness is below 0 so its better to avoid.
My favorite setting is d-log at +1,0,0 but I will definitely try yours, specially I was interested in your analysis on the saturation part
2017-5-13
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Very nice review and some great footage.

PS you made me google about hydrofoil windsurfing.
I had never seen that before :-)
2017-5-13
Use props
Girwet
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Thank you for all the comments !

I didn't say in the review but the LUTs only works with the Mavic as the color science of each DJI drone is different (I tested the Phantom 3 Pro and Inspire 1 X5 and got different results with each of them...).

I prefer using the Mavic in D-Log / sat+3 because of the better detail retention but D-Cinelike works really great too (I prefered it at first because of the higher saturation).

I don't know if there's any in-camera noise reduction when the sharpness setting is reduced but from what I saw in my footage, I think the solarized render is due to the compression on slightly "blurred" image (unsharp image). As I said, the look of the image is very similar when the sharpness is reduced as it is when the focus is not properly done (and there's no noise reduction added there).

I know a lot of things have been said about the best camera settings of the different DJI drones, but often based on personal tastes and I wanted something a bit more rigorous. And I saw some recommendations that clearly lead to some very ugly footage... I think the worst is the D-Log with saturation at -3 ! You can't do anything that will bring back the saturation without severe banding ! Even at 0, it's definitly there. That's because of the H264 8 bit compression and that's why I recommend to boost the saturation in the drone and not on your computer. It's too late...

The LUTs were exported on Resolve 12.5.5. I don't use Premiere anymore so I can't help those how that can't use the LUTs in Premiere... But if someone has a solution, please tell me !
2017-5-14
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Very informative piece.
2017-5-18
Use props
Girwet
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Thank you Baldo81 for your images.

I can't really say the difference between Structure 0 and +1 ! I guess youtube compression doesn't help !
Now for a few tips : as my LUT is designed to match to BM, it tends to be a bit too green sometimes, so you can add some magenta in the mids to counter that. And another very important thing is to carefully set your white balance (manually) when you shoot. It really help having the best color separation possible. You can't really fix that in post, except in raw...

And I'm always shooting in 25fps as it's standard in Europe. But 24 fps is fine ! I don't really like 30 fps, it's subtle but different form the cinema motion I like.
2017-5-22
Use props
djiuser_TsBbG9em5Sr3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7493 ft
United Kingdom

Bit of a resurrection I know, but can you stack LUT’s?

I’d like to get the Mavic Pro to BMPCC (original) then add a LUT to that output (Buttery NATURAL Rec709).

I’m just getting into editing properly so probably a stupid question!
2020-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules