A Drone Love Story Boca Bearings. Heads Up!!! Abec#5s Defective!!
2932 25 2015-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JMichael Starle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

After 80 flights on stock 2212 motors I began seeing major jelloing in vids.Due to Hero 4 upgrade,first thought was that new camera was more sensitive than Hero3.Maybe.Turns out that was not the issue.During a post flight check,I noticed a clicking sound in 3 of the motors.No excessive play just clicking.Having been in and around rc for a long time,I decided to replace the bearings.In an effort to improve the efficiency of the motors with a high quality replacement.Abec #5 Ceramic Stainless Steel Hybrids came to mind.Low rolling resistance means good heat dissipation along with constant tight tolerances.Smooth video,long lasting bearings,and a little bit longer flight time.Gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it.Gave me one.So much so that I performed the necessary maintenance with this product.Text book bearing removal and text book install.Took my time.Took care not to damage windings during removal and installation.Made sure to apply even slow pressure during installation.Made sure not to apply pressure to the center race or shieding.At the advice of Boca Bearings themselves(I Will Refrain From Using Tehcs Name Here.) so I will use it over here.His name is Mike.I was instructed to use an aerosol cleaner that leaves behind no residue to clean any dust or debri from inside of the bearings that may have entered on the shelf at the factory.Don't want any oversight such as dust to bring down your business investment right.Me either.So I cleaned them out.Went well,no issues.Feeling great about the procedure I decided to first warm up bearings on bench(No Props).Flawless.I mean flawless.Now I know you guys are ready to fly at this point.I know I was.So...I did.Pensive about this flight,I stayed close.Close...Like 4-5 inches from me.Hovering for about 10 minutes.Long 10 minutes I tell ya.Hand landed ma bird,felt the motors, and violla!!All is well...or so I thought.After 5 more successful flights,I contacted my client and informed him that we are in for a grand summer of smooth video,reliable service,and a good dark beer at the end of the day.Bathed in visions of a fat bank account,a large sense of accomplishment,and a swollen ego I took flight one more time.Did you catch that part.I sigh in retrospect as I write this.She was my first.My love.She lead me to the sweet nectar of flight.It has been told that it is better to love and to lose love than to have never loved at all.I write to you fellow pilots a heavy hearted man......4 hours ago 80' above concrete, motor #4 screeched loudly upon descent,time stood still and gravity kept on pulling.My girls #4 motor stopped so suddenly that it removed the prop all by itself in mid air.Still under power she rolled upsidedown like a lovetorn newlywed jumping from a bridge to end her suffering,and slammed herself into the concrete.......I held her quietly in my arms as the last beep of her smart yet powerful escs faded quietly away.   
2015-3-7
Use props
applekiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

I too had a crash today... I feel your loss
2015-3-7
Use props
JMichael Starle
lvl.4
United States

A moment of silence for all of our downed birds.....Probably should pour a little beer on the ground for all of our homies too...To hell with that!I'm drinking it!
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Nice story in a sad way..
Sorry to hear!
Did she have a name?
I just raised one to the "Drone with no name"...
2015-3-7
Use props
JMichael Starle
lvl.4
United States

Thanx and about the name...no...she was defined not only by her elegant form but also and most importantly by her graceful,above it all moves.The brightness and fury in those red and piercing eyes.The soft green glow of her,go ahead and fly as high and as far you wish for no matter what,I will always return to you permissive lights.I am remis in admitting that I enjoyed flying her so much that I never stopped long enough to give her a proper name.Because of this, she is and will always be  "The Drone With No Name".     
2015-3-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I've been through the desert on a drone with no name,
It felt good to be out of the rain
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

JMichael Starle Posted at 2015-3-8 11:00
Thanx and about the name...no...she was defined not only by her elegant form but also and most impor ...

Not for me to say but Grace would certainly be fitting...
2015-3-7
Use props
JMichael Starle
lvl.4
United States

Hahahahaha!!!!!.... I needed that!
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-8 11:09
I've been through the desert on a drone with no name,
It felt good to be out of the rain

A Neil Young fan...SWEET! Or America maybe?
2015-3-7
Use props
JMichael Starle
lvl.4
United States

Grace it is.
2015-3-7
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

RIP Grace...and may your ATTI take you to places you have never hovered above before....
2015-3-7
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Wow, I've missed this stuff.  JMichael you are quite the wordsmith and there is an aesthetic and rhythmic quality in the pictures you paint in my head (kinda makes up for the punctuation that sucks).  Gerry, tears came to my eyes from laughing so hard from "drone with no name" (maybe a good starting point for a drone equivalent to "High Flight" by John Gillespie Magee, Jr )

I can't believe it's been a month since I've been on the forum.  Kentucky has been blanketed by snow and I took the cowards way out and ran away to sunny Florida.  D'OH!  Shoulda brought one of my P2V+'s along...
2015-3-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gil Posted at 2015-3-8 15:50
Wow, I've missed this stuff.  JMichael you are quite the wordsmith and there is a poetry in the pict ...

Don't say P O E T R Y here.  It's a "banned" subject.  The admins came down on us with "THORS HAMMER" and pounded on a few of us.  We were banned for a week.
2015-3-8
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I would have gone to Florida with you, but I couldn't get out of the house.  To much snow!
B2xWuc6CUAEaJmp.jpg
2015-3-8
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-3-8 18:23
I would have gone to Florida with you, but I couldn't get out of the house.  To much snow!

Oh my goodness!
That would make a great beer fridge
2015-3-8
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Gerry - my secret decoder ring has found an acceptable substitute and has been inserted in place of the "youknowwhat".
(photo is kinda self explanatory)
Snow vs 85inFL.JPG
2015-3-9
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

So what does that mean to us in the end? You should not use ceramic bearings?
2015-4-1
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Sorry to hear about Grace's crash.

In your title you said Abec#5's defective, but never explained further.  Was it definitely the bearing that crapped out causing the motor to stop?  Or did the motor just reach the end of its life?
2015-4-2
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

You know... After so many hours a Navy jets engine get overhauled or replaced. Commercial fights are the same as they have maintenance schedules to replace the engines. Does anyone have any info as to when a Brushless Motor shoul be replaced after xx hours of use?  I know the brushless motors are classified as maintence free but wear and tear takes its toll. Are ther any known guidelines  as to replace a quads motors for peace of mind and protest the investment from motor failure ?
2015-4-2
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

there should be a published maintenance schedule.
2015-4-2
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

My bad...an aftermarket ceramic bearing upgrade for P2 V.1.Recorded with camera epic bearing fail.After communicating with the maker of the bearings,we came to an awesome agreement.my situation was a fluke.I will say that I am well pleased with the outcome.
2015-4-2
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-3-8 15:50
Wow, I've missed this stuff.  JMichael you are quite the wordsmith and there is an aesthetic and rhy ...

how can you go to florida without you phantom?

for those of us in the NE this winter , that would be flight heaven.
2015-4-2
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

kirk2579@aol.co Posted at 2015-4-3 06:14
how can you go to florida without you phantom?

for those of us in the NE this winter , that would ...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while I was down there.  Truth is It was a choice of the Phantom or   Pfirearms -- I hadn't flown any projectiles in a long time and there is an 100 yard indoor range on the other side of Tampa that I was itching to try out.  Also figured I'd pick up a CWP while I was down there.
2015-4-4
Use props
kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-4-5 06:28
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing while I was down there.  Truth is It was a choice of the Phant ...

which side of tampa?

Havent done the tsa firearm thing but will be driving down for my daughters wedding rather than fly

and those 2 things are main reason, 2 phantoms and and several of the others and all the stuff that goes along with them. Have the Oh and Pa CCW so good To go all over down that way with no fuss

My oldest son asked why drive--- I told him so I can bring my "stuff"  ...that led to the George carlin youtube video on "stuff".
2015-4-5
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

So are the bocca ceramic bearings good in combination with the phantom2? It says one motor failed so i guess those bearing are not good
2015-4-5
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
United States

Being in and around RC for a while,I have always had great results with Boca Ceramic Bearings.Don't believe that anyone else has experienced this.A fluke.I would not hesitate to upgrade to them again.
2015-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules