Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Unnecesary lound and annoying beeping sound in the remote control
640691 640691 2017-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronaldo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606601 ft
United States

*fixing my previous post
I understand the position of DJI regarding the horrible and lousy panic beeping sound in the remote control is that there is no way to changed or disabled.  
I extremely disagree with that.
I think most of the users could agree with me that, the way DJI handle  this alarm does not make any sense, specially in cases like RTH when that crazy and loud sound does not stop until the process is finished or stopped.   That beep brings unnecessary attention to the pilot from the people around, create a sense of panic, like something really bad is happening.  it is ok to be activated but user shoud be able to stop the sound via keypress combinations or a popup message in the phone screen.

DJI should include an option in settings where the user can have the right to disable the beeping at least after 10 seconds of mandatory playing.

DJI please understand that the remote control is in hands of the pilot 99.9% of the time,  I accept the panic sound during critical activities like extremely low battery warnings (<10%), but the beeping is not needed all the way back for RTH process or for regular low battery warnings.

I saw in a previous SW release something related to disabling the beeping by pressing the power buton
Hopefully DJI came up with a solution soon.
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Simple solution... Don't fly around people! Which you sould not do in the first place.
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you should realise that beeping is a warning signal to yourself and others that there is an aircraft coming into land no longer under control of you as the pilot, it's a failsafe and you can never have enough of them.
If you are embarrassed by the sound you can always take back control of the craft, if for instance something happened to you let's say you got ill well this would alert others to what might be happening, I don't think IAA (Irish) FAA (US) would like dji to remove this alarm because you as a pilot are embarrassed, so I don't think that's going to happen
With regard to beeping for remote low battery when it reaches 15% yes you can switch this off, but I think that's the only beeping your going to be allowed to stop until somebody comes up with a better warning for aircraft coming in to land of its own steam.

Do you think they should stop beeping in lorries or similar vehicles because it's annoying , or does it do a good job warning people that it's reversing and to keep clear?
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-12 08:08
Simple solution... Don't fly around people! Which you sould not do in the first place.

I knew this comment will come.
is not the point of flying around people that is not the intention.  anyhow the beep is in the Remote controller not in the drone.
see this example I'm flying the drone 3 miles away and I press the RTH button.  I decided to return the drone is not an emergency.  why I need to hear the beeping sound all the way back??
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 08:38
I think you should realise that beeping is a warning signal to yourself and others that there is an aircraft coming into land no longer under control of you as the pilot, it's a failsafe and you can never have enough of them.
If you are embarrassed by the sound you can always take back control of the craft, if for instance something happened to you let's say you got ill well this would alert others to what might be happening, I don't think IAA (Irish) FAA (US) would like dji to remove this alarm because you as a pilot are embarrassed, so I don't think that's going to happen
With regard to beeping for remote low battery when it reaches 15% yes you can switch this off, but I think that's the only beeping your going to be allowed to stop until somebody comes up with a better warning for aircraft coming in to land of its own steam.

I agree on the warning, that is why I said the beep must be there at the beginning no matter what, but user should be able to turned off if he wants after certain playing time.   Again the RC is in my hands, why the device should keep screaming?
I think Car comparison do not apply here, first the beeping sound is in the remote not in the drone so no risk of hitting anyone, second just a small reduced numbers of commercial cars have that beep

2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 09:23
is not the point of flying around people that is not the intention.  anyhow the beep is in the Remote controller not in the drone.
see this example I'm flying the drone 3 miles away and I press the RTH button.  I decided to return the drone is not an emergency.  why I need to hear the beeping sound all the way back??

Because you have an aircraft flying that's not under your control, what's to stop you flying it back yourself if it's annoying you?

The whole point is you can stop it beeping at anytime so what's the problem.
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 09:28
I agree on the warning, that is why I said the beep must be there at the beginning no matter what, but user should be able to turned off if he wants after certain playing time.   Again the RC is in my hands, why the device should keep screaming?
I think Car comparison do not apply here, first the beeping sound is in the remote not in the drone so no risk of hitting anyone, second just a small reduced numbers of commercial cars have that beep

You just don't seem to be getting the point you have control of beeping just take back control , and if you don't have control then it's safer that beeping continues, remember drone is most likely coming to land close to RC...
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 09:23

Dronaldo... Just messing with you man...

Hallmark, explain it  very well and I would NOT add anything to it.

Again better be safe than   or {:4_177:}  or {:4_154:}  or    or  

SAFETY FIRST - FUN SECOND
2017-5-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The RTH is to be used if you have an issue, like losing orientation or something like that.
The beeping is the warning that the flight controller has taken over and guiding the aircraft back to you because you were unable to fly it home manually. That's how I see the RTH button, something that should be used if there's a problem. If not then fly it home manually.
If you don't want to hear the beeping then you will need to manually fly the aircraft home and also don't be flying around on a low battery.
2017-5-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

This is a FAQ and there are many threads already discussing the issue like this one: https://forum.dji.com/thread-73615-1-1.html
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 09:39
You just don't seem to be getting the point you have control of beeping just take back control , and if you don't have control then it's safer that beeping continues, remember drone is most likely coming to land close to RC...

in RTH you are in control.
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-12 09:42
Dronaldo... Just messing with you man...

Hallmark, explain it  very well and I would NOT add anything to it.

i'm not again safety! but that beeping is not safety at all.  

you will see that sooner or later DJI will do something
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-12 10:04
The RTH is to be used if you have an issue, like losing orientation or something like that.
The beeping is the warning that the flight controller has taken over and guiding the aircraft back to you because you were unable to fly it home manually. That's how I see the RTH button, something that should be used if there's a problem. If not then fly it home manually.
If you don't want to hear the beeping then you will need to manually fly the aircraft home and also don't be flying around on a low battery.

your comment makes sense thanks, but I think there are two escenarios for RTH that are being mixed.  RTH because of lost of control and RTH because I press the RTH button.  the second one is not because of an emergency for me , it is just the easiest way for me to take the drone back.
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:20
i'm not again safety! but that beeping is not safety at all.  

Dronaldo,

I appreciate the dreamer spirit in you but I don't think they will unless the pink fly...
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 09:29
Because you have an aircraft flying that's not under your control, what's to stop you flying it back yourself if it's annoying you?

The whole point is you can stop it beeping at anytime so what's the problem.

you dont get my point, agree with the sound, the loudness and everything but you should be able to mute it when you want.

10 USD alarmclocks have beeping configuration options.  a cutting edge drone does not.

I understand you are ok with the beeping, thanks for making your position
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:34
you dont get my point, agree with the sound, the loudness and everything but you should be able to mute it when you want.

10 USD alarmclocks have beeping configuration options.  a cutting edge drone does not.

I'm not ok with beeping, but I understand the need for it, something which you fail to grasp, as others have said you have the option to turn off the beeping by taking control of your aircraft, something I'm starting to realise you may not be capable of.
If beeping is bothering you or others around you then you can control this.
I will give you a simple situation, if you had the option to switch off, let's say you were doing your pilots flying test which you have to preform RTH and you said to instructor, I'm just going to turn off this beeping because it's annoying me, you would fail straight away.

Remember this beeping is on all new dji aircraft, yet I don't hear inspire pilots or P4 or p4p pilots complaining about it, because it's common sense.

Also what is the difference between it beeping for low battery or just when you press RTH , no matter the end result is exactly the same, it keeps beeping until it lands.
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-12 10:28
Dronaldo,

I appreciate the dreamer spirit in you but I don't think they will unless the pink  fly...

I think sooner or later they will,

whatch out with the   that will start landing
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:34

Yes you can turn off alarm clock but only when you wake up that's the point, and you can only turn off the beeping for seat belt by connecting it. So try to realise beeping is seen as a warning to all of us, simple as that, but it's also something we can control once we are in control of it.
2017-5-12
Use props
fans37904417
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:17

Haha, no your not. When you hit that button you have given complete control to the aircraft. I wish they'd make the beep louder to shame people who are flat out too lazy to fly back to where they took off from on their own. I have no problem with people using it in an emergency situation where the pilot hits it when they realize they lost the ability to navigate the aircraft on their own. Anything else is just being lazy.
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:17

In RTH you are not in control, unless you exit RTH and if you do this beeping stops, so the only one unnecessarily causing the beeping is you the pilot.
2017-5-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:51

whatch out with the   that will start landing

You can certainly add your voice here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-73615-1-1.html but I wouldn't hold my breath.
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 10:56
Yes you can turn off alarm clock but only when you wake up that's the point, and you can only turn off the beeping for seat belt by connecting it. So try to realise beeping is seen as a warning to all of us, simple as that, but it's also something we can control once we are in control of it.

I already understand you are happy with the way it works.

finally I got a solution.
thanks for your comments
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

fans37904417 Posted at 2017-5-12 11:04
Haha, no your not. When you hit that button you have given complete control to the aircraft. I wish they'd make the beep louder to shame people who are flat out too lazy to fly back to where they took off from on their own. I have no problem with people using it in an emergency situation where the pilot hits it when they realize they lost the ability to navigate the aircraft on their own. Anything else is just being lazy.

when I said you are in Control I mean you can disable the RTH process anytime you want by canceling the return in the phone display.  so definitely you are in control of the situation.
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 13:38

Well you opened the debate, and in the interest of the forum members ,can you enlighten us as to what solution you have found.
2017-5-12
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-12 11:36
You can certainly add your voice here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-73615-1-1.html but I wouldn't hold my breath.

curious to know such a basic setting has been holding back for so long.

looks like legal reasons to me to avoid claims of losing drones, but that is easily solved with the proper warnings to careless users
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans37904417 Posted at 2017-5-12 11:04

You nailed it on the {:4_177:} and you got an up vote for that!
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 11:10
In RTH you are not in control, unless you exit RTH and if you do this beeping stops, so the only one unnecessarily causing the beeping is you the pilot.

As always Hallmark, you also nailed on the {:4_177:} and another up vote!
2017-5-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 10:51

whatch out with the   that will start landing

Like I said, I admire wishful thinking but.... on the contrary you might end up with another loud beeping that will warn you for the flying ... coming straight at you!

SAFETY FIRST - BEEPING NOISE SECOND - FUN LAST!
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-12 13:38

I suppose from your lack of response we may not have a solution after all.
2017-5-13
Use props
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320591 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I dont get why people use RTH so  frequently... I see it as an emergency plan, otherwise its all 'manual' for me.
I saw something that got me thinking the other day: They had to make a tutorial on how to take off without having to use the app (CSC) and i realised there are people who depend waay too much on automatic functions rather than practicing their pilot skills
2017-5-13
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-13 05:40
I suppose from your lack of response we may not have a solution after all.

hi,
sorry I was offline for a little while.
DJI recently included a fix where you can get rid of the noisy beep by pressing the power button in the RC.

Unfortunately it just works with the RC low battery alarm,  nothing else

the other solutions i got are:
just dont press the RTH button
Dont let the battery get to the warining level.  

Sadly that is not a solution
2017-5-19
Use props
Dronaldo
lvl.4
United States

carlosbsantana Posted at 2017-5-13 07:31
I dont get why people use RTH so  frequently... I see it as an emergency plan, otherwise its all 'manual' for me.
I saw something that got me thinking the other day: They had to make a tutorial on how to take off without having to use the app (CSC) and i realised there are people who depend waay too much on automatic functions rather than practicing their pilot skills

I dont see the RTH button an emergency scape.  it just help you to get back to your homepoint.   there is already a RTH emergency process when you lost control of the drone.

the complain here is about the lack of options for customers that do not want to have the noise at such a high level
2017-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-19 04:48
hi,
sorry I was offline for a little while.
DJI recently included a fix where you can get rid of the noisy beep by pressing the power button in the RC.

That fix was two firmware ago,
Regarding RTH there is a poll running here at the moment which suggests that the overwhelming amount of pilots do not use RTH for flying home over 75%, also running a poll regarding keep the beep with also an overwhelming amount 86% wanting to keep in some form or another, I have to say I agree with this, safety will be paramount in the decisions by the powers that be in allowing more freedom to drone flying communities. And I think if we start advocating removing safety features this will not help.
I don't think many people are bothered about the beep because most of the pilots choose to fly there aircraft home themselves, so it poses no real problem for them.
2017-5-19
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I wish they wouldn't make the lights so bright and siren so loud in the police cars . The driver is in control so we don't really need to hear all that so loud .

I'm tired of all the loud bleeping over the beeping ,lol.

We should all be happy that the safety police haven't made it mandatory that the actual drone beep loudly during RTH to alert people that a flying aircraft is above them and not under immediate pilot control .
2017-5-19
Use props
kwi66
lvl.2
Austria

I would suggest
-everyone on a skateboard needs permanent *beep*
- every bycicle (20 times heavier than MP) needs permanent *beep*
- all frisbees need *beep* while flying (totally out of control!)
- a wooden bow in the claws of a child, needs permanent *beep* (could be dangerous!)
- footballs, same weight as MP, but often much faster, need *beep*

- all people running (60kg! at 10km/h!) need *beep*
- best thing would be that everything you can shoot, drive, drop, throw or fly....gets a *beep*
...no matter if 10 ton truck or 750g MP!

...this is, what would make me feel real save!

2017-5-19
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-12 10:04

I just read this reply.
Guys, come on, be at least a LITTLE BIT honest with your customers.
If you ADVERTISE the 'easy flying' of your drone because as one of the major features, you can so easily let it come back, if you put a big BUTTON on your RC to push for RTH, if you put an other BUTTON with the same goal on the screen of your Go-app....

If you do ALL that and make Phantom 3's, Phantom 4's, Phantom 4 Pro's( the latter AFTER the release of the Mavic) with an audible but tolerable beep...

AND THEN all of a sudden you start telling us: "Well, Ok, yes, RTH exists but it is really not meant to be used except in emergencies and then with a loud sound etc..."

You know what I think ?

Either:
1) R&D made a mistake that they can not correct without recalling all Mavic Rc's and you guys don't want to do that.

OR

2) Somewhere somehow in the EU or elsewhere negotiations are going on about drone-reglementation and a loud beep on RTH is one of the requirements. (But why isn't there a loud beep on the Phantom 4 Pro then, released months after the Mavic ?)

So please stop telling us exactly the opposite of what you were telling us months ago and of what is still in all your advertising: that the RTH is a FEATURE, full stop,  while now suddenly you tell us it is something we really should not use etc..
Just tell us the truth or tell us you are not allowed to tell us the truth.
2017-5-19
Use props
kwi66
lvl.2
Austria

Given the option of ...
...an unexperienced new "dronist" trying to bring his MP down somehow by himself
...and a well programmed software doing the same with use of lots of high tec sensors

it's quite obvious where to put the *beep*  :-)
2017-5-19
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

kwi66 Posted at 2017-5-19 08:53
Given the option of ...
...an unexperienced new "dronist" trying to bring his MP down somehow by himself
...and a well programmed software doing the same with use of lots of high tec sensors

Absolutely ! And if you place that beep, put it in the DRONE. People around the OP are not helped by being notified of the location of the Operator of the drone . If that drone is so dangerous in RTH mode, the bystanders should know where the DRONE is, not where the RC is...
2017-5-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

kwi66 Posted at 2017-5-19 08:37
I would suggest
-everyone on a skateboard needs permanent *beep*
- every bycicle (20 times heavier than MP) needs permanent *beep*

A skateboard is under the control of user, a bicycle also, would you prefer your five year old to catch a ball a frisbee or a fully working Mavic with 4 flying liquidisers to take his fingers off or his eye out.

Your seat belt beeps heart monitor beeps house alarm house fire alarm all very annoying and all getting our attention perhaps you think we should be able to turn them off in case they somehow annoy us.

I've inserted an article below where drone pilot lost control.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34936739
2017-5-19
Use props
kwi66
lvl.2
Austria

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-19 09:05
A skateboard is under the control of user, a bicycle also, would you prefer your five year old to catch a ball a frisbee or a fully working Mavic with 4 flying liquidisers to take his fingers off or his eye out.

Your seat belt beeps heart monitor beeps house alarm house fire alarm all very annoying and all getting our attention perhaps you think we should be able to turn them off in case they somehow annoy us.

You don't want your child to be hit by one of those horror children, driving around with head smashing monster bikes!?
Just vote for *beeps* for them all!
...and please put those razor blades off your drones propellers!!
Just in case you ask,...yes, I have three children, all grown up now, without *beeps* :-)

...and you are really sure, that all skateboards driving around are "under total control" of the driver??  seems that we live in different worlds!
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules