1100 7 2017-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nzfritz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Bought some high altitude props a few days ago...
Going for a test flight now and will report back what seems different.

At sea level today but will be up a mountain in a few days...
2017-5-13
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

Update: don't try them at sea level. The craft is super jumpy and twitchy. Will try at high altitude in a few days and update again.
2017-5-14
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

nzfritz Posted at 2017-5-14 01:46
Update: don't try them at sea level. The craft is super jumpy and twitchy. Will try at high altitude in a few days and update again.

Does that mean it's generating more thrust at sea level? So you have to set softer gains at sea level. I wonder if the acceleration and top speed are better with it. And payload capacity.
2017-5-14
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.2
  • >>>
Indonesia

fansd845e849 Posted at 2017-5-14 03:16
Does that mean it's generating more thrust at sea level? So you have to set softer gains at sea level. I wonder if the acceleration and top speed are better with it. And payload capacity.

No sure... about all that, sorry.  Just got back from flying at about 8000 feet (not super high really) and tried them there.  Really smooth with almost no sound when thrusting straight upwards. Didn't compare with standard props, as I only had 2 pairs of batteries to shoot with all day....
2017-5-20
Use props
jimapp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 109505 ft
Canada

Am I missing something? I thought the drone could only be flown to 500 feet
2017-5-20
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jimapp Posted at 2017-5-20 14:47
Am I missing something? I thought the drone could only be flown to 500 feet

In Canada you are limited by regulations to 300 feet or if your SFOC allows 400feet AGL (above ground level). OP is referring to his take off point as beiing ASL (above see level) so not related. Ex. he is taking off in mountain area vs. at the cost, booth would be limited to same height restriction, just different starting height.
2017-5-20
Use props
Nik6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 806096 ft
United States

I've flown with the high altitude blades a few times at over 10,000ft. They preform really good, sound a little different at idle.
2017-5-23
Use props
WernerD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fansd845e849 Posted at 2017-5-14 03:16

No, thrust is related to the Watts the motor produces and that does not change just because your props have a different blade inclination. What does change is resistance and therefore the rpms.
In thinner air the resistance is less hence the rpms would go up to a level the motor cannot handle. Hence you increase the blade inclination to balance that out. In thinner air the rpms will be in the optimal range, approximately the same rpms you get at ground level with the regular props.

You could also argue the other way around. In thinner air you have to push more volume of air to achieve the same trust/Watts, hence higher blade inclination needed at the same rpms.

Makes sense?

2017-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules