Refund on Phantom 4 Pro
1476 22 2017-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mandrake981
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2563599 ft
United States

Okay guys - since I bought my Phantom 4 Pro Plus last year, I have had lots of fun flying and exploring areas around my state (Florida), and in many other places as well. Unfortunately, the fun has stopped. Since the latest upgrade, many of the areas that I've been able to fly in are now locked - I can takeoff anymore. I just showed up at my parents new property this morning in Holt, Florida, and as usual - there's an "unpaved airport" ON the property they purchased - which is funny, because if something can take off or land here thdn the pilot would be comparable to Criss Angel or Houdini - as there's no possible way this place would be anything but trees and hills. That being said, you guys have turned an $1800 flying camera into an $1800 paper weight. Now, since you feel the need to make it impossible to take off within 5 miles of a military base (and my state is chock full of military bases), and since there are unpaved airports EVERYWHERE that you cannot override, I assume DJI wojld be willing to give me the money back I spent on this drone so that I can buy something from a competitor. How do we get that process started, because I need a flying camera, not one that will fly when it gets good and damned ready. Let me know what I need to do, because I am at wits end with this and there being no way to override it - ever. Each subsequent upgrade has given me fewer and fewer places to fly, and I'm done.
2017-5-14
Use props
jonnyrich
lvl.2
Flight distance : 818819 ft
United Kingdom

Can't you just turn all the restrictions off in the Go App?
2017-5-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

That can't be right - impossible to take off within five miles of any military base?  I know there is a new restriction in the US re military bases, but I thought it only applied within (above) the base itself.  Are you saying DJI has drawn five mile No Fly Zones around every base in the US?  Maybe you're mistaken.

Are you aware that much of Holt Florida is Special Restricted Use Airspace according to airmap?  That's not DJI's fault, and if you're trying to fly within it, DJI may be doing you a favor by not allowing you to start your motors.  

Re airports, you can't get authorized for that landing strip on your parents property?  I agree that is too bad, but maybe that isn't the reason you can't fly.  If it is, a P2 series Phantom will fly there just fine if you're interested.  

2017-5-15
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not sure all the locations you mention are locked without a means to easily unlock. Of course, I have not attempted to fly in those same areas. I can say though that, even with a recent update, I am able to fly fairly close (within 2 miles, possibly within 1) to the airports here in Central Texas.
2017-5-15
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-5-15 07:05
I am not sure all the locations you mention are locked without a means to easily unlock. Of course, I have not attempted to fly in those same areas. I can say though that, even with a recent update, I am able to fly fairly close (within 2 miles, possibly within 1) to the airports here in Central Texas.

From what I understand, it is only the red zones that are impossible to unlock, the yellow and green ones can be easily unlocked. On this map Holt is in the center of the blue circle.
holt.jpg
2017-5-15
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Looking at the map the whole area is part of a yellow authorization zone.
It should be possible to unlock it with a credit card verified account:
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
Authorization Zone.jpg
2017-5-15
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-5-15 09:00
From what I understand, it is only the red zones that are impossible to unlock, the yellow and green ones can be easily unlocked. On this map Holt is in the center of the blue circle.

Yes, what you show is how I believe things were working. Thanks for the map.
2017-5-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like previously mentioned, you should be in a place that's unlockable. Could you provide a screenshot of your map section in the DJI Go app?
2017-5-15
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Go on ..... solve the problem ...... ruining a really good rant. {:4_157:}
2017-5-15
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

Cabansail Posted at 2017-5-15 19:39
Go on ..... solve the problem ...... ruining a really good rant.

And so the rant ceases
2017-5-17
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Actually, for me - these were the 3 places that I have tried in the past week that wouldn't take off. There were no choices given. Normally, if I'm within a restricted zone, it gives me a popup on the remote with a couple of check boxes - you check the boxes and go. Not at these 4 places I have marked on this map. I have used my remote to unlock places before - this is totally preventing me from doing anything. As a matter of fact, I moved just slightly to the north on my trip yesterday (which I was on Highway 98 at Watercolor, just out from San Destin), and was able to take off - for about 10 seconds. It then told me it was forcefully landing, and would not let me do anything else. I had taken off and gone to about 10 feet, and it came back to about a foot off the ground, and wouldn't let me do anything but land it. It shows airports at every single location - and the location yesterday is at least 8 miles from an airport (the closest being the one in Destin). Essentially, anything worth photographing is impossible to photograph because this drone thinks that everything is a no fly zone, and doesn't give you the option to override it (and yes, I would have no problem overriding it, as I either want a top down view of the property I'm on, or I want photos of something such as Watercolor, where you should at least be able to take it up to 40 or 50 feet, snap a few photos, and then bring it down. Instead, they completely lock it so your drone is as functional as a rock. It's also great fun to explain to people that yes, you purchased an expensive drone that has a great camera, but that it will prevent you from taking off in any situation it deems "not perfect", and thus prevents you from using it. If I had purchased this thing for a business I'd be torqued. Imagine explaining to a customer that yes - you do have a drone company, but no, you cannot override it when it thinks you shouldn't take off - even when you have express permission to do so, and as such, you'll just have to give them their money back after you show up at the location, only to find out that it won't let you take off. I am thoroughly aggravated with this entire process. I have had a number of prime locations to take photos of (not commercially), but can't because the overzealous flight restrictions prevent you from doing anything.

I will try and take a screenshot the next place I go (since I know that it's going to block it anyway), and will post it. I'll try to get back out to one of them sometime in the next week...

The sad part is - when it does take off, it flies beautifully, and I can take some great shots. It just sucks that the only places that I've taken it in the past couple of weeks has been to close by areas (within a couple of hours) because I am fearful the drone will not bother to take off. It hasn't disappointed me yet. I've flown it around my neighborhood, but pretty much the remainder of Florida seems to be off limits.

And yes - I took about 100 photos the first time I flew in Destin, and had some GREAT photos. After the last upgrade, I cannot take off there whatsoever anymore, and it prevents me from getting any shots now that summer has rolled around and there are lots of things to take photos of....
2017-5-17
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Mandrake981 Posted at 2017-5-17 10:43
Actually, for me - these were the 3 places that I have tried in the past week that wouldn't take off. There were no choices given. Normally, if I'm within a restricted zone, it gives me a popup on the remote with a couple of check boxes - you check the boxes and go. Not at these 4 places I have marked on this map. I have used my remote to unlock places before - this is totally preventing me from doing anything. As a matter of fact, I moved just slightly to the north on my trip yesterday (which I was on Highway 98 at Watercolor, just out from San Destin), and was able to take off - for about 10 seconds. It then told me it was forcefully landing, and would not let me do anything else. I had taken off and gone to about 10 feet, and it came back to about a foot off the ground, and wouldn't let me do anything but land it. It shows airports at every single location - and the location yesterday is at least 8 miles from an airport (the closest being the one in Destin). Essentially, anything worth photographing is impossible to photograph because this drone thinks that everything is a no fly zone, and doesn't give you the option to override it (and yes, I would have no problem overriding it, as I either want a top down view of the property I'm on, or I want photos of something such as Watercolor, where you should at least be able to take it up to 40 or 50 feet, snap a few photos, and then bring it down. Instead, they completely lock it so your drone is as functional as a rock. It's also great fun to explain to people that yes, you purchased an expensive drone that has a great camera, but that it will prevent you from taking off in any situation it deems "not perfect", and thus prevents you from using it. If I had purchased this thing for a business I'd be torqued. Imagine explaining to a customer that yes - you do have a drone company, but no, you cannot override it when it thinks you shouldn't take off - even when you have express permission to do so, and as such, you'll just have to give them their money back after you show up at the location, only to find out that it won't let you take off. I am thoroughly aggravated with this entire process. I have had a number of prime locations to take photos of (not commercially), but can't because the overzealous flight restrictions prevent you from doing anything.

I will try and take a screenshot the next place I go (since I know that it's going to block it anyway), and will post it. I'll try to get back out to one of them sometime in the next week...

And yes, 4 places, not 3. Caught that after the fact...
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Mandrake981 Posted at 2017-5-17 10:43

Please make sure you have Geo enabled in the DJI Go, along with the latest version of the app. If you still need to authorize, self authorization is an easy enough process. If you follow the guidelines in the GeoSystem section of the website, then you can continue to fly as you have been.
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-18 08:47
Please make sure you have Geo enabled in the DJI Go, along with the latest version of the app. If you still need to authorize, self authorization is an easy enough process. If you follow the guidelines in the GeoSystem section of the website, then you can continue to fly as you have been.

I will go home and make sure that's the case today - though I have already been through this process before and gotten set up to fly in locations that I wasn't allowed to fly prior - if the setting changed back then it means that this setting can arbitrarily change without the pilot making the change - which needs to warrant some research as to why that happens...
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Mandrake981 Posted at 2017-5-18 09:48
I will go home and make sure that's the case today - though I have already been through this process before and gotten set up to fly in locations that I wasn't allowed to fly prior - if the setting changed back then it means that this setting can arbitrarily change without the pilot making the change - which needs to warrant some research as to why that happens...

Oh, and on another subject, where does the forum pick up the flight distance from? I'm at over a million feet, and this is showing 333615 - which is what I was at like 6 months ago....
2017-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It's meters
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Ah, okay. There's no measurement unit there, so hard to tell. Yeah, we're still stuck on the imperial measurements, haha.
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Oh, As far as the Geo system, will turning it off and then back on reset the process, allowing you to go back through the verification and such? I wondered about that, as it's almost as if it's not opting to verify, so resetting it (if it's indeed still on) might be the way to go...
2017-5-18
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Mandrake981 Posted at 2017-5-18 09:55
Oh, and on another subject, where does the forum pick up the flight distance from? I'm at over a million feet, and this is showing 333615 - which is what I was at like 6 months ago....

I *think* from the flights you upload  to the Cloud from the Flight Records of GJI Go 4 App.
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-5-18 10:19
I *think* from the flights you upload  to the Cloud from the Flight Records of GJI Go 4 App.

Cool, thanks!
2017-5-18
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please report the locations to Flysafe@dji.com.  We make adjustment to our maps continuously based on user feedback.
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-5-18 10:53
Please report the locations to .  We make adjustment to our maps continuously based on user feedback.

Will do. Thanks!
2017-5-18
Use props
Mandrake981
lvl.1
United States

So, now it's gotten even worse. The place I have flown multiple times (from my parents current home) is now off limits. Connecting does nothing. It will not let me take off at all. This is the location I tried today. No go. It's blocked - the land behind me is a street (highway 98) and the beach. There is no heliport or whatever there. I have lived here all my god damned life and the closest airport is about 5 miles away (and that's for single engine prop planes - those take off on the property they're parked on, as there is a huge area for a runway). Every time I turn around there's that much less area I can fly in - so I think it's time I get rid of this garbage product. It's time I cut my losses and move on with something else - where the company pays one ounce of attention on what their customers say, instead of just limiting the whole god damned state of Florida.
FB_IMG_1497818912356.jpg
20170618_151055.jpg
2017-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules