Looking to get into fpv racing, Can I use the DJI Goggles in a quad?
12874 13 2017-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320591 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Im still learning about the sport but I wanted to know how was the VTX connection made to the Fatsharks and other goggles used. Can I use the  HDMI input in the DJI Goggles?
I want to slowly get into this world and I could use these goggles with both the mavic and other quads
2017-5-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I guess as long as you have HDMI connection you would be able to use it. I use FATSHARK with the P4 series. The MAIVC will connect thru WIfi with the DJI Goggels. I don't know if the DJI goggles WIFI system will allow you to ocnnect to other devices thru WIFI. Interesting question!
2017-5-15
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

To use the DJI googles with a racer you'll need a 5.8ghz to HDMI box, then just plug it in. DJI goggles can accept any hdmi input.

However, before getting any goggles I really would suggest trying out as many as you can. It's not always the quality that's important. Some people have different eye spacing, eye defects that some goggles can correct, etc. Slight out of alignment can cause dizziness and feeling sick, especially with the racers. My first fatshark attitudes made me horribly ill after just a few minutes, fatshark dom I only wobble when going upside down.

Everyone is different when it comes to goggles, you'll need to find yours otherwise it's not an enjoyable experience.
2017-5-15
Use props
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

dronist Posted at 2017-5-15 08:00
I guess as long as you have HDMI connection you would be able to use it. I use FATSHARK with the P4 series. The MAIVC will connect thru WIfi with the DJI Goggels. I don't know if the DJI goggles WIFI system will allow you to ocnnect to other devices thru WIFI. Interesting question!

Goggles will sync to Mavic thru Occusync, not wifi. I dont think it will connect wirelessly to devices other than Mavic and (soon) Spark. Even I2 and P4P dont use occusync so you need a cable from RC to Goggles.
My question was regarding the HDMI input, If I would be able to plug the video receiver from the racer. It was answered below.
Thanks!
2017-5-15
Use props
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-5-15 08:26
To use the DJI googles with a racer you'll need a 5.8ghz to HDMI box, then just plug it in. DJI goggles can accept any hdmi input.

However, before getting any goggles I really would suggest trying out as many as you can. It's not always the quality that's important. Some people have different eye spacing, eye defects that some goggles can correct, etc. Slight out of alignment can cause dizziness and feeling sick, especially with the racers. My first fatshark attitudes made me horribly ill after just a few minutes, fatshark dom I only wobble when going upside down.

Thanks! will look into that.
Regarding your suggestion, I understand but I specifically want the DJI Goggles because of its compatibility with Mavic and its smart flight modes, so there are not many other options. Perhaps if I get into the hobby then I will buy some goggles just for that.
2017-5-15
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

There are ways to get the video from a race quad into the Dji goggles but the latency will be too much to deal with .  You would have a difficult time flying without running into things as the video will lag behind where the drone is . Race drones use SD video cameras and VTX  with the receiver built into the fatshark goggles to minimize lag and would look like crap on the bigger screen anyway  . The only way to do it correctly is with the newer HD systems that transmit in 720p via HDMI but they are pricey at the moment . Take a look at the Connex system below if truly interested .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IRN ... =pd_sl_1fha3wlzba_e

or the 1080p version

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh ... s=REG&A=details

Connex also sells a complete FPV racer with the system built in ..........

http://www.helipal.com/amimon-fa ... fbPNfCwIaAl0_8P8HAQ
2017-5-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

carlosbsantana Posted at 2017-5-15 09:02
Goggles will sync to Mavic thru Occusync, not wifi. I dont think it will connect wirelessly to devices other than Mavic and (soon) Spark. Even I2 and P4P dont use occusync so you need a cable from RC to Goggles.
My question was regarding the HDMI input, If I would be able to plug the video receiver from the racer. It was answered below.
Thanks!

Am glad you got it squared away!
2017-5-15
Use props
shauravraj
New

United States

So, what did you decide and how did it go. I have the same problem. Trying to get into drones but want to use the same goggles for both mavic and racing drone since the goggles are expensive. Do you think it is worth it to try with dji goggles?
2017-11-9
Use props
carlosbsantana
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

shauravraj Posted at 2017-11-9 09:09
So, what did you decide and how did it go. I have the same problem. Trying to get into drones but want to use the same goggles for both mavic and racing drone since the goggles are expensive. Do you think it is worth it to try with dji goggles?

ended up not getting into fpv drones and didnt buy the goggles either, so I cant provide with a good answer
2017-11-11
Use props
k2kidd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391850 ft
United States

If you are looking to get into an all in one kit this is great for intermediate fpv. I suggest the tinyhawk
https://emax-usa.com/ez-pilot-beginner-indoor-racing-drone-rtf.html?affiliate_code=KTvktYrov2&referring_service=link
2020-3-29
Use props
georgeslangeard
New

France

Hello there!

I would like to follow on the subject and update it with 2K21's infos : )

I have a Mavic 2 with FPV Goggles and I'd like to get into the racing but preferably using the Goggles I already have :
- they are HD
- I need a mask with a full screen (not 2 screens like in the DJI Racing FPV)

I have read that both Air Unit and Caddx vista only work with the DJI Race Goggles but is there a way around that?
Perhaps using the hdmi port on the Mavic's Goggles?

I'm willing to invest in a new system that provide both HD and full screen Goggles, any ideas?

Many thanks in advance for your kind replies and inputs.
2021-5-31
Use props
LiveFreeAndFly
New

United States

georgeslangeard Posted at 5-31 04:10
Hello there!

I would like to follow on the subject and update it with 2K21's infos : )

Hi there,
If you want to use the video feed from a caddx vista or the DJI Air Unit the only way of doing so is with the DJI hd goggles v1 or v2. Their is a way to send the video feed from the dji goggles to a different device like say another set of goggles but you must have a DJI smart controller to connect to the DJI hd goggles via the type c cable and then you can run video from the smart controller to the other screen/goggles of your choosing. To be clear im not saying its a viable option because quite honestly i have personally never done this myself so i cant say. So technically it is possible to get the video feed from an air unit or vista in a goggle other then the dji hd goggles but you still need the dji hd goggles plus a dji smart controller to make it happen. If you already have a smart controller it might be worth looking into. I know you say you need a goggle with one screen but have you ever tried the dji hd goggles? They feel more like box goggles then fatshark goggles
2021-6-2
Use props
Weeto
New

United States

DJI Goggles receive a digital signal whereas most quads transmit an analog signal thats incompatible. Fortunately, Caddx makes a digital micro receiver that is compatible with DJI goggles and meant for race quads.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the HDMI port is meant for plugging into peripherals like a monitor on a ground station.
2021-6-7
Use props
click here now
lvl.2

United States

carlosbsantana Posted at 2017-5-15 09:02
Thanks!

I connect my betafpv 95x v3 directly to my dji 2 goggles.
2021-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules