Strong Interference - Constant disconnects
1422 9 2017-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Healimonster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132523 ft
United States

Last week I was trying to shoot some beauty broll at a condo complex in the Dominican Republic and I was constantly getting "Strong Interference" warnings and the DJI app would get disconnected from drone even though it was very far away at all (maybe 100 feet straight up) and twice the drone just started a forced landing procedure. I was able to override the landing a bit and direct the drone towards the table I took off from but I wasn't able to stop the landing from happening. I took off from a roof deck in an area that I wouldn't expect to have any interference let alone strong interference.  The next day I launched from the ground near a pool and tried to fly around the pool and I couldn't fly for more than a minute without getting disconnected.  I was wondering it the community industrial wifi might have been causing the strong interference problem. The next day I flew by the ocean and I was getting strong interference problems at the beach? The drone disconnected and went into return to home mode.
What could be causing so much "strong interference" community or hotel wifi points? That seems odd as I have flown near hotels before and shouldn't the app just use a different channel if there is strong interference? It was set to auto channel select. Another day in a final attempt to fly it at the condo I started to receive warnings that the obstacle avoidance was not working and it wouldn't hover completely still as it has in the past. At this point in time I started to feel like the drone was being jammed or something.

I have flown the P4 many times before and at great distances in places where I would think there would be more interference like NYC and it has always performed reliably but that was on the old app using an ipad mini. These flights were on the new app using a google Pixel XL as the monitor.  Frustrating.

2017-5-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Be sure you're aiming the controller correctly, and consider that if the AC is directly overhead, it's getting and giving a very poor signal relative to you.  
2017-5-15
Use props
Healimonster
lvl.2
United States

True. After I started getting disconnections I made sure that the antennas were properly positioned and aimed at the P4 and the disconnections even when flying close to me low to the ground.
2017-5-15
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

When in doubt go to the simplest possible solution.  
Cold recalibrate the IMU and the compass.
Remove and reinstall App if possible.
Make sure all firmware is up to date and/or has not changed.
Recalibrate the RC controls.
If you keep getting the same issues it could be an internal anteanea problem.

Good Luck!
2017-5-17
Use props
DKG13CC
lvl.1

United States

I've noticed this, as I came from a P3P to a P4 and actually lost range. I fly my P4 with the GL300B from the P3P and actually have better results, but that doesn't really make me feel any better as both ships are supposed to have the same range. Hmmm.
2017-5-17
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Healimonster Posted at 2017-5-15 14:10
True. After I started getting disconnections I made sure that the antennas were properly positioned and aimed at the P4 and the disconnections even when flying close to me low to the ground.

I assume you mean the antennae aimed perpendicular to the drone, not "pointing" at it.
2017-5-18
Use props
DKG13CC
lvl.1

United States

I've even had the windsurfers attached, flying the Phantom 4, in an area that I had previously flown with outstanding results (P3P).

Mucho Disconnecto, my friends. Less than 200m.

There is just something different about the two ships....and the latter isn't the better.
2017-5-18
Use props
Healimonster
lvl.2
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-5-18 07:43
I assume you mean the antennae aimed perpendicular to the drone, not "pointing" at it.

Of course.
2017-5-23
Use props
Healimonster
lvl.2
United States

DKG13CC Posted at 2017-5-18 17:02
I've even had the windsurfers attached, flying the Phantom 4, in an area that I had previously flown with outstanding results (P3P).

Mucho Disconnecto, my friends. Less than 200m.

I have never flown the p3 but last year using the p4 and the older GO app I was able to fly at great distance with no disconnects and never once had strong interference alerts.
I am pretty sure this is GO 4 app related.
2017-5-23
Use props
Healimonster
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE:
I flew a test flight in a New York City park and I did not receive strong interference warnings. So it probably was hotel/condo complex WIFI related. One would hope that regular WiFi situations wouldn't cause such problems for flight. But all problems did not go away. The video feed was still choppy and at least once during the flight the GO4 app blanked out and had to be launched again. I say blanked out because I did not receive and Android crash message as I certainly would have sent feedback. While in flight after touching something on the screen the app just disappeared and the phone went to the home screen. Having the app disappear at least once per flight is not acceptable.
Phone: Pixel XL --7.1.2
latest version of GO4 app and firmware for p4, controller, etc.
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules