Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Take off issue with S1000
3405 31 2017-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

HI Guys,

Didnt fly during winter my S1000 and now blew the dust off and took it out. Had something very weird with take off:

Previously has taken off very smooth and level, so not getting it! Too little throttle? Shouldnt be.. Checked the balance of copter afterwards and seemed to be in balance as well. Could some settings gone off during winter? Shouldn't go since it hasnt been used?

I have A2 and lightbridge+Zenmuse Z15-BMPCC, but no iOSD (since the data comes on screen from lightbridge). But is it so that LB doesnt save log files? If it does how can I get them?
Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue so it won't happen next time?

Appreciate the help!

2017-5-16
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

That sucks....are you running LB 1 or 2? One of the things I do before every flight is while idling, I bring up the power just a bit. I then check my forward/back and left and right. Just enough power to see if the controls are ok. I had an update once and my forward/back got reversed and I almost endo'd. In your video I couldn't say what happened but when I take off I pop it up with a lot more power. I'll let others pop on and give their opinions.
2017-5-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Did you update any firmware prior to performing the test flight? Have you checked the idle speed in the A2 Assistant or performed a RC calibration?
2017-5-16
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-5-16 12:55
That sucks....are you running LB 1 or 2? One of the things I do before every flight is while idling, I bring up the power just a bit. I then check my forward/back and left and right. Just enough power to see if the controls are ok. I had an update once and my forward/back got reversed and I almost endo'd. In your video I couldn't say what happened but when I take off I pop it up with a lot more power. I'll let others pop on and give their opinions.

It's LB1. I didnt even have chance to touch forward/backward, just pushed the throttle up slowly. Might be that too slowly, but I have done it as fast also previous times as I remember and has been all level.
This was last time's at the end of summer:

Here I had issues in the end losing connection, but I think that was bad cable.
2017-5-16
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-16 20:43
Did you update any firmware prior to performing the test flight? Have you checked the idle speed in the A2 Assistant or performed a RC calibration?

I plugged it in and it said in all parts that no updates, so didnt do any. (was suprised though that there hasnt been any for half a year). Idle speed didn't change, But let me check: It's in the middle "reccomended" setting.And didnt do any calibration. Basically just put it on at home, checked updates and that controls have connections, and then went out.
2017-5-16
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

Have to say that have been either very unlucky with this one, or these DJIs are just bad. Had before problems with Picture transfer from lightbridge&gimbal which sent to DJI service, got new cable replaced. Then had problems with control connection, replaced also one cable myself + now this. I think i've had 2 flights without gimbal with no issues. But now in total 5-6 flights and this much problems, while it should be almost "ready to fly" and "pro system" costing in total like 6k, it is really frustrating.
2017-5-16
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

BY the way now when I plug it in. Why it says like at some parts "upgrade 2.7" for ex. even though it says also that the current version is 2.7?
2017-5-16
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

I had that on other drones, not the s1000.   Sometimes it was a broken prop that I had not noticed.  Other times, the battery was sliding around, throwing it off the balance.   Then another time, I had introduced a magnetic field (a speaker), and it threw off the compass.  It wobbled and crashed.
Try taking off without GPS.

It may be the place this year is different from last year, and you have to re-calibrate the compass.

Trying hanging it by a rope just tight on the ground, pull the rope up as it takes off, so in case you have to cut the engines, you can avoid another jarring crash.

2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-16 22:09
BY the way now when I plug it in. Why it says like at some parts "upgrade 2.7" for ex. even though it says also that the current version is 2.7?

Reapplying firmware is always possible, but you can normally disregard the 'upgrade' button it the loaded firmware matches what's available. If you want to provide a screenshot of what you're getting, I can confirm that for you. In regards to the A2, does it look like the RC is still accurate in the Assistant software? Did you incur any physical damage on the rig due to this incident?

Regarding your initial question about flight records, the only way that you would have that available is if you have an iOSD Mark II installed. Even though you do have LB1 installed on your rig, you could technically install the iOSD Mark II without hooking up the vido out cables (just connect via CanBus) and it can just act as a flight recorder.
2017-5-17
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

PeterFDJI3 Posted at 2017-5-17 11:30
I had that on other drones, not the s1000.   Sometimes it was a broken prop that I had not noticed.  Other times, the battery was sliding around, throwing it off the balance.   Then another time, I had introduced a magnetic field (a speaker), and it threw off the compass.  It wobbled and crashed.
Try taking off without GPS.

Broken prop, might be, but got no idea how it would've broken since after last flight landed normally and has been sitting, but maybe in transport, no idea. But I doubt. CHecked battery, that's pretty tight, can't move with my hands and was in place after crash.
I never use GPS when taking off, so that shouldn't be the case (unless I accidently flipped it on)
I flew in same spot as last year. But I guess have to try to re-calibrate?
But good point, all of these could be the cases.

I didnt get the rope thing. I tight it up to the ground? or? How will I see then how it acts when lifted? Or you mean hanging from the above? Doesnt it get tangled to the rope then?
2017-5-17
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-17 12:14
Reapplying firmware is always possible, but you can normally disregard the 'upgrade' button it the loaded firmware matches what's available. If you want to provide a screenshot of what you're getting, I can confirm that for you. In regards to the A2, does it look like the RC is still accurate in the Assistant software? Did you incur any physical damage on the rig due to this incident?

Regarding your initial question about flight records, the only way that you would have that available is if you have an iOSD Mark II installed. Even though you do have LB1 installed on your rig, you could technically install the iOSD Mark II without hooking up the vido out cables (just connect via CanBus) and it can just act as a flight recorder.

Hi,

I uploaded pics here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/olvds ... T6LHW-B0dQCJqa?dl=0 Seems that LED might have an upgrade actually? Even though "upgrade to" is same nr. in details it says different nr.? Or how can you tell it's same or different?

What you mean by RC being accurate? You mean when I move sticks they have right positions? or?
No big (visible) damages at least. Broke some props (waiting for new ones) and then the frame where battery and gimbal is attached moved a little but that was easy fix by loosening screws and straigthening it. Also one motor moves like half a millimeter more than others, but screws are still tightened, so I think no big issue?
2017-5-17
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-17 12:31
Broken prop, might be, but got no idea how it would've broken since after last flight landed normally and has been sitting, but maybe in transport, no idea. But I doubt. CHecked battery, that's pretty tight, can't move with my hands and was in place after crash.
I never use GPS when taking off, so that shouldn't be the case (unless I accidently flipped it on)
I flew in same spot as last year. But I guess have to try to re-calibrate?

Hanging by a rope: With some thin but strong nylon line (avoiding bulk) tie it to the center of the top of the drone.  Perhaps take off the gimbal if it adds a lot of weight.  Toss the line over a tree limb and have someone pull until the line is taught.  Be sure the person with the line can raise and lower the drone freely.  The props are too far out to the sides to cause any problems.  Take off with the person pulling on the line (gently) just to take up the slack.   If there is no problem, just hover at 4 feet then land again.  If there IS a problem, you can shout that you are cutting the engines and the other person can pull on the line just enough to avoid a crash landing.   

The drone will simply hang from the branch after the engines die down.  I did this to test the up-down switch of the landing gear.  
2017-5-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-17 13:00
Hi,

I uploaded pics here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/olvdsdluwfbptp0/AAAZ8Knf3AmT6LHW-B0dQCJqa?dl=0 Seems that LED might have an upgrade actually? Even though "upgrade to" is same nr. in details it says different nr.? Or how can you tell it's same or different?

What I mean is whether or not the RC reacts with the proper values in the assistant.
2017-5-17
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

PeterFDJI3 Posted at 2017-5-17 13:25
Hanging by a rope: With some thin but strong nylon line (avoiding bulk) tie it to the center of the top of the drone.  Perhaps take off the gimbal if it adds a lot of weight.  Toss the line over a tree limb and have someone pull until the line is taught.  Be sure the person with the line can raise and lower the drone freely.  The props are too far out to the sides to cause any problems.  Take off with the person pulling on the line (gently) just to take up the slack.   If there is no problem, just hover at 4 feet then land again.  If there IS a problem, you can shout that you are cutting the engines and the other person can pull on the line just enough to avoid a crash landing.   

The drone will simply hang from the branch after the engines die down.  I did this to test the up-down switch of the landing gear.

OK, now got it. But if i Tie it from center plate, and it will put a more power on some props I dont know if you are able to balance it by pulling the rope. since the rope is in the middle it just goes off balance and one of the props might hit the rope. Hmm.. have to think it through..
2017-5-17
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-17 15:16
What I mean is whether or not the RC reacts with the proper values in the assistant.

Ok, thanks! I will check it tonight. Was it so that those updates were ok (pics above)?
2017-5-17
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Another question...you say you have LB 1...theres been an issue with it if you let it set for awhile....the second and third lines in the assistant will disappear...heres a link...I had a problem with the video...if you havent done so check to see if everything is there and working in the LB assistant....heres a link to what I had experienced albeit I had a video problem... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D318%26typeid%3D318
2017-5-18
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-5-18 07:05
Another question...you say you have LB 1...theres been an issue with it if you let it set for awhile....the second and third lines in the assistant will disappear...heres a link...I had a problem with the video...if you havent done so check to see if everything is there and working in the LB assistant....heres a link to what I had experienced albeit I had a video problem... http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=51332&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D318%26typeid%3D318

I checked the ground units and got those lines into both units. Also got picture through HDMI. But thanks for the head up. Seems that there has been a lot of problems with it. Did you get yours fixed in the end?  Little scared to fly now since I dont know where this problem comes from.
2017-5-18
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-17 15:16

I got this checked now. Moving sticks, reacts same way in assistant. And all seemed to go to the end. Also mode and GPS and those switches seemed to work perfect. The Man - Att - GPS switch I had to adjust when bought it so it it hit right point to get the mode on, but has been working perfectly.

Any other ideas?
2017-5-18
Use props
DennisMurry08
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-18 11:07
I checked the ground units and got those lines into both units. Also got picture through HDMI. But thanks for the head up. Seems that there has been a lot of problems with it. Did you get yours fixed in the end?  Little scared to fly now since I dont know where this problem comes from.

Yes, thanks for asking, I have 2 other LB-1's and the rest are 2's....the one with the problem I ended sending in to DJI to fix...out of warranty of course and $318. I dont have any other ideas for you other than now you have doubts in your mind and that can be more scary....just when you have it back together try running the motors up just a bit and do the forward/back/lft/rght and make sure thats working right...then if it is, put it in Atti and pucker up.....good luck to you
2017-5-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-18 11:07

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, everything in the LB Assistant is appearing as they should, correct?
2017-5-18
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-18 14:19
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, everything in the LB Assistant is appearing as they should, correct?

Yes. I mean there's not much else than update and as said sticks move in assistant same way as i move them in control. Shows in update all three lines. And I get pictures from POV and gimbal (gimbal sometimes doesnt come immediately, sometimes have to restart (the data comes but picture has been missing few times).
2017-5-18
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

I once had the gps cable between the gps pole where it attaches, so the skin of it came a little off but didnt break the cable in side so I put tape on it. But that shouldnt affect this anyway? I have been flying after that few times..
2017-5-18
Use props
kelvinmorton
lvl.1
Flight distance : 380436 ft
Australia

Did you calibrate the Compass, IMU and RC? If its been 'dead' for a while those things may need to be reset.
2017-5-19
Use props
fansdb0d1578
lvl.2

Finland

Calibrated everything today, compass & Imu and all worked fine! WIPPIKAYEE! I think actually the problem was that I had actually been taking off with manual mode, which I found out to be very stupid! Usually it has been working just fine, no issues. But I guess that shouldn't do it Thanks and sorry to all who helped !!
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-19 11:46
Calibrated everything today, compass & Imu and all worked fine! WIPPIKAYEE! I think actually the problem was that I had actually been taking off with manual mode, which I found out to be very stupid! Usually it has been working just fine, no issues. But I guess that shouldn't do it  Thanks and sorry to all who helped  !!

Good to hear you were able to get it sorted, thanks for the update!
2017-5-19
Use props
UoG geog dept.
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-17 12:14

in terms of flight record, can i use iosd II? How do i extract the information off of it?
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

UoG geog dept. Posted at 2017-5-23 09:59
in terms of flight record, can i use iosd II? How do i extract the information off of it?

When using the iOSD Mark II, you would review the .DAT files via the DataViewer in the IOSD Assistant software.
2017-5-23
Use props
UoG geog dept.
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-23 12:23
When using the iOSD Mark II, you would review the .DAT files via the DataViewer in the IOSD Assistant software.

This is by plugging the IOSD into a computer after a flight?
I'm trying to obtain the flight records so that I can use the IMU data along with collected lidar data to create a map. The info needed from the flight records would be pitch, roll, yaw and GPS coordinates of the drone. I assume this is in the .DAT files? and are these files continuous?   
2017-5-23
Use props
UoG geog dept.
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-23 12:23

Hey Jamie. I bought the IOSD mark 2 and have just installed it. After some tests, no data is appearing in the viewer. The fly data shows some of the data but there are no graphs. any idea?
Capture.JPG
2017-6-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

UoG geog dept. Posted at 2017-6-1 07:30
Hey Jamie. I bought the IOSD mark 2 and have just installed it. After some tests, no data is appearing in the viewer. The fly data shows some of the data but there are no graphs. any idea?

I know it may seem like an odd question, but have you tried double clicking any of the different output options from the list on the far right side, like OUT_M1 and OUT_M2 etc.? Could you happen to verify the IOSD Assistant version you're running and the OS you have on your computer?
2017-6-1
Use props
UoG geog dept.
lvl.1

Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-6-1 08:24
I know it may seem like an odd question, but have you tried double clicking any of the different output options from the list on the far right side, like OUT_M1 and OUT_M2 etc.? Could you happen to verify the IOSD Assistant version you're running and the OS you have on your computer?

Good news, I have reinstalled the data viewer and it now works. Oddly enough when i take a screenshot the data that loads on the left side disappears so it looks like ive never clicked anything. The issue i now have is exporting the data. Ive been told that i have to click the GPS icon to export data as a TXT. when i click the button it just says "No GPS data!" I'm running on IOSD assistant 4.1 with windows 7 and the A2 flight control system
2017-6-2
Use props
PeterFDJI3
lvl.2
United States

fansdb0d1578 Posted at 2017-5-19 11:46
Calibrated everything today, compass & Imu and all worked fine! WIPPIKAYEE! I think actually the problem was that I had actually been taking off with manual mode, which I found out to be very stupid! Usually it has been working just fine, no issues. But I guess that shouldn't do it  Thanks and sorry to all who helped  !!

Also good to hear good news on any problem we pioneers of  the Drone Age encounter that does not end in broken [insert part here] and gloom about the future.

I keep learning and re-learning that what the people in this forum are attempting is not the stuff of kids and dads... it is real serious business involving heavy things with 8 engines rotating at terrific speeds....and we have a long way to go before we become the equivalent of an Boing 747 in terms of predictability, redundancy and safety, eh?

-Peter
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules