Programming API?
6742 14 2014-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SPlatten
New

United Kingdom

Hello,

I am a professional software engineer.  I am involved in a project that may utilise a Phantom 2 Quadcopter.  At the moment its very early stages and I cannot say much about the project, however I would like to be able to create a flight path by creating waypoints automatically and uploading these to the Phantom 2.

Is there a Programming API available that details the protocol and how to upload information to the Phantom 2?

Thank you,

Kind Regards,
Simon Platten

2014-10-11
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

I too would love to see an API for the Phantom. Unfortunately, I don't think it exists (publically). I've been thinking about possibly getting a packet capture while uploading a mission to the Phantom and seeing if I could reverse engineer the protocol, but that will take a lot of time
2014-10-11
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simon, have you had a poke around the bootloader?

jmtw000, there's some useful information on the CAN bus on rcgroups. CAN injection would be something I am particularly interested in.
2014-10-11
Use props
SPlatten
New

United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies.

@ianwood, no I haven't, It uses CAN bus?
I implemented CAN bus in a subsea control system years ago, nasty protocol, very small payload, used commonly in automation industry.  Do you have any links?

Found this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2125567

@jmtw000, I don't have a Phantom 2 yet, hoping to get at least one purchased by the company, if not I will probably treat myself for Xmas
Could use Ethereal or Wireshart to sniff the protocol, although if its a binary protocol like CAN some kindness on the encoding would be extremly helpful.

2014-10-11
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071772
2014-10-12
Use props
SPlatten
New

United Kingdom

Thank you, I will certainly look into this.
2014-10-12
Use props
SFOS900
lvl.1

United States

HAHAHA,

love you guy :-) I have spoken and written to DJI head office in China. This was earlier in the year at CES and guess what.
At first they where open too the idea of a developer kit as well as NDA's but with all the fuss and stupid flying about DJI Phantom Vision 2  on You Tube put an end to this quickly.

So the only way at this point would be a hack into the software as well as APP's.

On that note and if I read the writing on the wall correctly only closed systems will receive in future FAA certification. Which might be a problem for the open source guys....... these flying cameras are a very dangerous in the wrong hands.
Again we all might end up with something like a V chip on the aircraft and this can only really be done with a closed software.
As well as writing correct software is not easy and will take time see the P1 to P 2plus...

You can always use the DJI flying hardware.... and put in a pixel-haw from 3DR.... HAHAHA good luck  

2014-10-12
Use props
SPlatten
New

United Kingdom

I'm not sure I follow the logic here...its not as if DJI are the only people creating quadcopters with cameras, what this is about is choosing DJI Phantom 2 for an application and being able to develop the software to make the job of using it easier and faster.

There isn't really anything that DJI owns the exclusive rights to, of course they have every right to protect there own software and hardware, but I'm not proposing to steal anything, if anything I want to enhance what is available so we can make it even more useful and taylor to our specification application.

I hope someone from DJI reads this and contacts me.
2014-10-12
Use props
DJI-neil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13465 ft
China

SPlatten Posted at 2014-10-13 04:36
I'm not sure I follow the logic here...its not as if DJI are the only people creating quadcopters wi ...

hello
       Can you give up you email,We will contract with you about the detail of the API .
2014-10-13
Use props
SPlatten
New

United Kingdom

Sure, can I PM you with my email address?
2014-10-13
Use props
thomasjsimson
New

Germany

DJI-neil Posted at 2014-10-13 20:21
hello
       Can you give up you email,We will contract with you about the detail of the API .

I would love to get additional information about the API as well
Please email me at thomas-j@gmx.de

Greetings from Germany
2014-12-5
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.3

United States

thomasjsimson Posted at 2014-12-5 23:28
I would love to get additional information about the API as well
Please email me at

Check out http://dev.dji.com
2014-12-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn;-)
lvl.4

China

@thomsjsimson
@jmtw000
@aseidman
Pls remember edit the threads to delete your email addresses after receiving the email!
2014-12-7
Use props
DJI-neil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13465 ft
China

we have released our phantom vision SDK, http://dev.dji.com, but phantom 2 does not supported yet.
2014-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules