41579 252 2017-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-13 11:27
It’s very easy to deduct that safety is not your thing good luck if that’s all you can come up with did you find page 19.

Only use the Failsafe and Return-to-Home functions in case of
emergency, as they may be affected by the weather, the environment, or
any nearby magnetic fields.

This is a generic warning and could just as easily apply to any of the other flight modes, which may also be affected by weather, the environment or magnetic fields. I like RTH. I use it regularly, especially when demonstrating my Mavic. Just because I press a button, it does not absolve me from responsibility. I still watch the drone as if I'm flying it manually. If trouble arises, I can override RTF. I like to watch a precision landing. I don't fly from crowded locations so my drone will not land in a where others need to be "warned". If you do then beep away. Give me the option to turn that annoying noise off! They allow us to disable other "safety" features like the sensors, let me turn this beeping off.
2017-10-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-10-13 11:43
Only use the Failsafe and Return-to-Home functions in case of

You can take or make what you want out of it. It’s written in your safety manual go figure. The beeping is 100% in your control . If your not able to land your AC manually and that is what it sounds like then It is somewhat of an emergency. Then I guess your going to have to put up with the beeping , because it’s not going to go.

Your right it does not resolve you of responsibility, in fact it should garner greater responsibility from the pilot......
2017-10-13
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-13 11:58
You can take or make what you want out of it. It’s written in your safety manual go figure. The beeping is 100% in your control . If your not able to land your AC manually and that is what it sounds like then It is somewhat of an emergency. Then I guess your going to have to put up with the beeping , because it’s not going to go.

Your right it does not resolve you of responsibility, in fact it should garner greater responsibility from the pilot......

Spoken with the arrogance of the only true drone messiah in this world. I can land manually, I choose not to. And I'm glad to know that you have insight into DJI's future plans.
2017-10-13
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a pilot, when we get a Master / Caution light and alarm, then first thing we do as pilots is acknowledge what we have, and then "Cancel the Alarm!"  This allows one to concentrate on flying the plane, and running any checklists.   In aviation, the sounds are cancelled for a good reason.
2017-10-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

UPTGrad Posted at 2017-10-14 13:23
As a pilot, when we get a Master / Caution light and alarm, then first thing we do as pilots is "Cancel the Alarm."  This allows one to concentrate on flying the plane, and running any checklists.

Would there be an alarm on the ground, if you were making an emergency landing?
2017-10-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

can we all agree that the beeping is obnoxious..  and slightly pointless..  and distracting and panic inducing to some..

to people who argue that it is in your control the beeping, just cancel RTH i ask you about this:  what if its a low battery RTH? hear me out:   some of us who may not wish to cancel a low battery RTH in fear DJi may void warranty if it does not make it back, with a logged event that you canceled the low battery RTH Dji can say since you canceled the low power RTH and it failed, it is your fault, not Dji's no matter if it was clear it was going to fail either way.. you canceled a failsafe.. so no longer dji's control or fault..    they are more likely to honor warranty claim if it failed itself to return safely with it reamining in low power RTH because its considered one of Dji's own failures on failsafe..  

i just lack the understanding of why i need to have my RC screaming at me with no alternatives if it is a failsafe event and we wish to have warrenties honored...  
2017-10-16
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Had another case of phone disconnect from RC (lint in the lightning contact?) mid flight. Initiated RTH while unplugging and replugging the phone and waiting for the app to connect. Then cancelled the RTH once I got my bearings. This time there were no curious bystanders. Only got one annoyed look from a couple sitting on a bench not far away.

By the way, I still have not got any good answer as to why the aircraft beeps while not under pilot control (RTH), but does not beep while not under pilot control (ActiveTrack)?
2017-10-17
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
United States

By the way, I still have not got any good answer as to why the aircraft beeps while not under pilot control (RTH), but does not beep while not under pilot control (ActiveTrack)?

Ask the safety officer. He seems to be under the impression that fliers hit RTH and then go make a sandwich while their drone flies home all by itself.
2017-10-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LOL.. i dont understand defending this dumb dji decision..   reading back over replies i been ignoring because they are ridiculous..

first of all, hallmark, no just..no..  if people are surrounding me and other with beeping RCs cuz we are forced to use RTH for any reason.. that is insanely distracting for us as pilots not looking to hurt others..  if i got surrounded by 10 people asking what is wrong with my drone and demanding my attention, how am i supposed to focus on my drone and ensure that it is correctly returning home...?  i have had school kids gather around me a few times to watch and ask metric ton of questions, and i tried to tell them to back away.. they dont or they only do it for a short time then meander back over.. and yes happened a few times, i had to kill RTH and pause it 50 feet over our heads because people are idiots..   

liability does not change  with or without beeping..  does not make it any more or less your fault because was or was not beeping.  so annoy people...?

making arguments that its full auto flight... literally RTH is only auto flight that triggers an obnoxious beep, there are other more involved and broken auto flights that can cause more problems built into the drones..like active track, follow me, waypoints, etc  and they dont beep and yet i bet more likely to have a activetrack crash than i am to have a RTH crash..  

making vague shoe string arguments about  where beeping should be..  ill tell you where beeping should be if the drone is in a "emergency" mode, like RTH/low power.. the drone.. why?  because my drone is at risk, not my controller not the take off point., not me.  drone demanding the attention, not me at take off point holding the RC..  and i bring up valid point.. if my drone is a mile away, what good is having my RC screaming at me going to do?   making side arguments related to this about what if you are unconcious or left to go make a sandwich or something outlandish but plausable.. the drone beeping as its on final approach i feel is equally effective at alerting people near by of my drone being a risk factor....again people will notice the drone as it beeps..

people making argument well look getting people's attention around you... well yes, and people love you for it about as equally as if u standing beside your nice car and after you press the panic button on your keyfob, and just stand there next to it for 5 minutes and do nothing....meaning not a single person will give a sh**t but yet everyone will hate you within earshot..
2017-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-10-17 08:35
LOL.. i dont understand defending this dumb dji decision..   reading back over replies i been ignoring because they are ridiculous..

first of all, hallmark, no just..no..  if people are surrounding me and other with beeping RCs cuz we are forced to use RTH for any reason.. that is insanely distracting for us as pilots not looking to hurt others..  if i got surrounded by 10 people asking what is wrong with my drone and demanding my attention, how am i supposed to focus on my drone and ensure that it is correctly returning home...?  i have had school kids gather around me a few times to watch and ask metric ton of questions, and i tried to tell them to back away.. they dont or they only do it for a short time then meander back over.. and yes happened a few times, i had to kill RTH and pause it 50 feet over our heads because people are idiots..   

People gathering around you are idiots, you can’t move them , well first if you are flying within 30 metres of people you are breaking the law at least here in Europe you are and I think it is the same in US, this also includes landing , and taking off 10 metres.
So if you can’t fly under those conditions you shouldn’t be flying.

If your drone is a mile away you would be breaking the law, it shows you are no more serious about the beeping or interested in the safety of others.

With regards to canceling a RTH because of beeping when you don’t have enough battery to get home, I’m sure dji as well as everybody else will be able to tell you whether you cancel RTH or let it continue without enough battery to RTH , this is clearly your fault more pilot errors.

I’m not to sure how to take your post , it all makes very little sense and seems to be more about all the mistakes you make flying rather than the beeping.

With regards to the beeping , this is there as a safety measure it has also been included in spark remote and Cendence, I have explained reasons why , you can accept them or rubbish them as you have , that’s up to yourself.
How you fly or treat the rules or safety issues is up to yourself, I’ve explained why the beeping is there and my opinion if it doesn’t match up to your opinion so be it,
2017-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-17 05:58
Had another case of phone disconnect from RC (lint in the lightning contact?) mid flight. Initiated RTH while unplugging and replugging the phone and waiting for the app to connect. Then cancelled the RTH once I got my bearings. This time there were no curious bystanders. Only got one annoyed look from a couple sitting on a bench not far away.

In active track or follow me mode the AC is not coming in to land and can only come in to land under pilot control or RTH .
2017-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-10-17 07:35

Ask the safety officer. He seems to be under the impression that fliers hit RTH and then go make a sandwich while their drone flies home all by itself.

In an emergency situation you shouldn’t be making sandwiches...
2017-10-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-17 09:46
People gathering around you are idiots, you can’t move them , well first if you are flying within 30 metres of people you are breaking the law at least here in Europe you are and I think it is the same in US, this also includes landing , and taking off 10 metres.
So if you can’t fly under those conditions you shouldn’t be flying.

it makes plenty of sense..  

first of all, its a f**cking annoying beep, so annoying that i ordered a second mavic RC at full price on amazon, $299 as backup incase i break this one, and i'm ripping the bepper out of this RC i have right now... because it is that annoying.. ill return spare one unopened if i successfully tear this down rip out the beeper and put it together in fully working order..   so screw safety feature argument all together.. because it does work not for me, its a shoestring argument...

second of all, i have zero control over other people.. they can be 75M away when i'm flying but find way a few inches from me when the beeping starts, i can only do my best to have them clear the area, but they are people so usually telling them much of anything is like talking to a brick wall.. pointless.  im not saying i, or anyone is incapable of flying with that sort of stress and distraction, i am saying it makes it infinitely more difficult, i do not want to crash into someone.. i want to concentrate and aid the RTH procedure as it may need it..not deal with 21 question on repeat..

making argument that because it is illegal to fly 1 mile away (or further), does not make the beeping justifiable on my RC when it should be on the drone, period, more useful there.... completely worthless to have it alert me and not people maybe in actual harms way..

and yes dji has denied claims because of cancellation of RTH on low battery, was one guy in spark forums a while ago that had battery on shelf for 2 weeks and the self drain thing kicked in..did not show correct % values, blah blah.. dji got the logs and decided to void warranty because he canceled low battery RTH and tried to manually get it back to himself.. i can't so much more on it, but that's what dji diana highlighted and pointed out at the time..

its endlessly frustrating having this debate... dji should have put the beeper in the drone.. more logical place.. because the having it in the RC does nothing for anyone.. other than annoys EVERYONE.. if its in the aircraft because low power and returning home, it makes better sense since its alerting everyone it passes and is close enough to that it is a potential risk.... and once makes its way back to home point its then finally only then effective as a home point beeper beacon..
2017-10-17
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-10-17 09:59
In active track or follow me mode the AC is not coming in to land and can only come in to land under pilot control or RTH .

Hmm... I can see how a drone autonomously flying sideways in Active Track with no surrounding awareness and potentially bumping into someone is safe, while an RTH with straight down descent 300 meters away from me (and the beeper), with landing protection and two different sets of sensors safeguarding the process is dangerous...
2017-10-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-17 23:28
Hmm... I can see how a drone autonomously flying sideways in Active Track with no surrounding awareness and potentially bumping into someone is safe, while an RTH with straight down descent 300 meters away from me (and the beeper), with landing protection and two different sets of sensors safeguarding the process is dangerous...

Yes there is potential danger in flying active track, but there is a minimum height of two metres and you should be 30 metres away from people, so yes if you are over 6 foot 4 you could get hit .

Active track is not autonomous but rather automatic just like RTH.

Autonomous meaning you set a program from start to finish with no pilot input. Automatic pilot can have input.
2017-10-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2017-10-17 10:23
it makes plenty of sense..  

first of all, its a f**cking annoying beep, so annoying that i ordered a second mavic RC at full price on amazon, $299 as backup incase i break this one, and i'm ripping the bepper out of this RC i have right now... because it is that annoying.. ill return spare one unopened if i successfully tear this down rip out the beeper and put it together in fully working order..   so screw safety feature argument all together.. because it does work not for me, its a shoestring argument...

If you can buy another RC and tear it down then your sorted for you. As the pilot of a drone you are supposed to be in control of both the drone and the people around, you are aware of the distance you need to be flying from people. If somebody comes up to you while your RC is beeping you simply tell them that there is a drone going to land soon and they need to be a minimum of 10 metres from landing area,
Should beeping be on the drone, well in RTH at default of 30 metres it’s highly unlikely to hit any person and I would imagine a drone in RTH mode at 30 metres 1 mile away beeping would cause a lot more problems and distress along that journey, yes when it starts it’s decent maybe it should have a beeping sound, but from 30 metres a drone can descend pretty quickly so warning may not be long enough to clear area so still need for beeping from RC . For a critical landing yes I agree beeping from the drone would be a good safety measure.
As somebody who is involved in farming I’m sure you have need for machinery as we do here on my parents farm, on most of our machinery there is a very loud beeping when reversing this can be clearly heard by operator and those around the area, you say beeping is distracting for drone pilot who is doing nothing only looking at the procedure of your drone and monitoring its progression, but with farm machinery the operator is doing a lot more while beeping is continuously going on and yet there is not a farmer or operator of farm machinery that would dare remove this beeping warning and the reason is that before beeping warning many farm accidents occurred and being somebody who was directly affected pre this warning on heavy duty machinery I fully endorse the need for it.

So yes the beeping is very annoying for you but this is not all about you.
2017-10-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is just a good safety measure.
2017-10-18
Use props
Wat_Sgt_Smit202
lvl.1
United States

The RTH beep should be customize-able because it doesnt really activate without the operator starting it, with the exception of low battery but if that goes off and starts the RTH then there is no need for both beeps.
2017-11-29
Use props
Welsh Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26493 ft
France

#3  Should suffice, it is a bit annoying eh.  Well glad when it is home though.
2017-11-30
Use props
ShortRouter
lvl.2
Germany

UPTGrad Posted at 2017-10-14 13:23
As a pilot, when we get a Master / Caution light and alarm, then first thing we do as pilots is "Cancel the Alarm."  This allows one to concentrate on flying the plane, and running any checklists.

This. I was really negatively surprised when the beeping kicked in after MANUAL initiation of RTH on a test flight. People passing by seemed really annoyed, the rc controller beeping sound is WAY too loud and causes danger: It attracts unnecessary attention towards the landing spot + it distracts the pilot from flying the aircraft. In Germany we call it "avoidable noise". I'm drilling the heck out of the rc controller speakers if DJI doesn't give as the option to AKNOWLEDGE AND DISABLE the alarm!
2017-12-25
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

The beeping is fine and avoidable.
Fly & land manually, the RTH function is not for fun and in the most scenarios more stress to the batteries (unless you are a really terrible operator -> switch to beginner mode and fly only LOS for a while and you should be fine).
In case of emergencies (ie you are having a heart attack or your cellphone dies and you cannot fly LOS) the beeping informs people to be aware that you have a problem.
If you want to use it for fun and don't want to be annoying for your surrounding, fly in a more secluded area and live with the beeps.

But I still think if you really want to disable it, there should be an option for that, since people want to drill out the speakers dji could void warranty if the disable emergency beeping option is activated, for those it matters not.
You cannot have it all.
Just my opinion.

2017-12-25
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-20 08:30
it should be a combination of 3 and 4.

I agree, the best choices are a combination of 3 & 4 options.
bye
davawt
2017-12-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No. 4 for sure IMO
2017-12-28
Use props
Guy driver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 495030 ft
United States

The shake will activate if the drone gets to it’s presets height or distance
2017-12-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ShortRouter Posted at 2017-12-25 14:45
This. I was really negatively surprised when the beeping kicked in after MANUAL initiation of RTH on a test flight. People passing by seemed really annoyed, the rc controller beeping sound is WAY too loud and causes danger: It attracts unnecessary attention towards the landing spot + it distracts the pilot from flying the aircraft. In Germany we call it "avoidable noise". I'm drilling the heck out of the rc controller speakers if DJI doesn't give as the option to AKNOWLEDGE AND DISABLE the alarm!

If it attracts attention to landing spot it’s doing its job.
2018-1-7
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

I guess it has to be there so people don't forget that RTH is activated. Many past dji users tends to trigger RTH and forget about it, when they come in for landing and release the control sticks, it would fly straight up (usually into trees) and crash their drone. That's why all DJI drone has that annoying loud beeping when you RTH. I think the best solution is to lower the tone of the beeps as it makes it less annoying and at the same time remind users of the ongoing RTH
2018-1-7
Use props
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

I don't use RTH everytime I fly, however I do use it occasionally. Nothing to do with being "Lazy", I want to make sure my investment (quite a substantial investment at that) is working as it should be. Would hate to have it enter RTH and not do as it should. I don't mind the beeping as I initiate RTH, however I think it should go quieter/silent until it says "Landing". At that point start beeping again to warn anyone on the ground that the drone is landing. Just my humble opinion.
2018-1-7
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-27 12:54
Then you would also think it not necessary for a seat belt to beep until you put your seat belt on?

I’m not getting your seatbelt analogy?

2018-1-7
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I don't understand why DJI hasn't provided options 3 and 4 already or any comment as to why not.
2018-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-7 17:57
I’m not getting your seatbelt analogy?

What is it you don’t get? Your seat belt will continue to warn you that you don’t have it on, yes it’s annoying but as soon as you put it on it stops beeping, same as RTH once you switch it off or it lands successfully it stops beeping .
Remember your manual tells you only use RTH in emergency situations, if you choose to continually use RTH to land your aircraft then you will know that beeping will be a part of RTH , everyone who chooses to fly this way has a choice.
There are many things that beep to give us warning of danger most are annoying, but they are there to warn us, without them I don’t believe we would be better off.
2018-1-8
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-8 04:37
What is it you don’t get? Your seat belt will continue to warn you that you don’t have it on, yes it’s annoying but as soon as you put it on it stops beeping, same as RTH once you switch it off or it lands successfully it stops beeping .
Remember your manual tells you only use RTH in emergency situations, if you choose to continually use RTH to land your aircraft then you will know that beeping will be a part of RTH , everyone who chooses to fly this way has a choice.
There are many things that beep to give us warning of danger most are annoying, but they are there to warn us, without them I don’t believe we would be better off.

It is clearly annoying, but better to have an annoying sound and monitor the RTH than have nothing and forget to make sure everything is correct when the ac is flying autonomously nearby.
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CA Mavic Pro Posted at 2018-1-8 05:07
It is clearly annoying, but better to have an annoying sound and monitor the RTH than have nothing and forget to make sure everything is correct when the ac is flying autonomously nearby.

Yes when you hit RTH and hear no beeping that’s when you know you have a problem.
2018-1-8
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2018-1-8
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-1-8 07:37
The seat belt warning is telling you something you HAVEN’T done, the RTH bleep is telling you something you HAVE done. If you are a driver and you need a warning to tell you to do something before taking off, you aren’t responsible and shouldn’t be driving a car.

I think it is a poor analogy.

Don’t be ridiculous, beeping in RTH stops when it’s finished, explain how you think RTH is done just by pressing it .
The beeping is not there only for the purpose of the controller, but to warn those around that an aircraft is landing no longer under the control of pilot.
2018-1-8
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-8 08:23
Don’t be ridiculous, beeping in RTH stops when it’s finished, explain how you think RTH is done just by pressing it .
The beeping is not there only for the purpose of the controller, but to warn those around that an aircraft is landing no longer under the control of pilot.

Yep, every time I hear a beeping sound I think "incoming drone"!
2018-1-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-1-8 09:51
Yep, every time I hear a beeping sound I think "incoming drone"!

Foot in mouth time again.
Actually when you hear beeping you , you associate it with warning , or at least most people do, so as I said it does it’s job,
2018-1-8
Use props
drn3px69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

Dronaldo Posted at 2017-5-20 08:30
it should be a combination of 3 and 4.

+1
2018-1-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would actually like to see volume control with this to make it quieter AND LOUDER. Could come in handy on those dusky evenings as a kind of panic alarm to help deter potential thieves and to make it quieter if you are in the middle of nowhere. Completely turning off any type of warning is not a good idea IMO. It is really annoying I must admit and that is why I do everything I can not to lose signal/engage RTH to turn it on in the first place.  
2018-1-9
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

RedChops Posted at 2017-5-24 05:29
Except even that isn't true. If I press -either- RTH buttons in my hand, the RC is still in my hand. In an instant I can move the sticks and fly manually. This is why I believe the beep should be able to be silenced. As long as the RC is in my hand and I'm fit to use it I'm still in control.

If you're a jet liner pilot and engage autopilot, is there an alarming bell all through the cabin while that mode is engaged? Absolutely not, because it's a safe, intelligent flight mode.

I agree totally
2018-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules