SHOULD I UPDATE FIRMWARE?
2210 27 2015-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

I've seen a lot of people running into trouble with the new  firmware update.

I'm hesitant to do it myself, because my bird is flying fairly well. I've experienced gimbal tilt, video loss, gps loss, and compass issues. All which do not hinder my flight completley and occur relitivley quick. I do not want to update my firmware and turn her into a brick, as I've been hearing.

Though I wonder if people are updating thier quads the correct way. (Updated the quad AND the RC seperatley)

Please let me know how you guys are liking the new update and any other additional information you guys feel is important with this update.

Thank you guys!!

Fly safe.
2015-3-8
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

There's bound to be an update that will sought all this out....Hopefully without issues and no more bricks

[img]http://cdn-[/img]

2015-3-8
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I was worried cant blame us can yah.. However follow Dundee's chart and all will be cool.

Flying daily now weather has broken and this is the best update to date for aircraft operation, that is without a doubt.
Flys so well Im thinking on buying a back up inspire asap

Just do it brew some coffee and be ready to reload it if needed. TX goes easy its the air craft that hung up on me but all loaded after repowering up the bird and letting it sit for an hour...Success. Kick the tires and light the fires!
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

If it's working and you aren't forced to upgrade, probably best to just keep flying as is for the moment.   I was under the impression that as soon as your app figured out you weren't on the latest firmware it eventually locks the motors until you update.

Obviously a way around it by never letting your app have access to the net, but then you can't load maps and so on.   Eventually it's going to catch on and you'll be in the same position, just not able to fly.

I took the chance a few days ago.   Inspire updated fine and one of my remotes updated fine, but the other was bricked...    So I got lucky in that I can still fly with the latest firmware while they sort out the second remote.    I don't do too much dual op flying so I'm cool with it.

If I only had one remote and this had knocked me out of the sky I'd be freaking out a bit.

So that's my advice, keep an eye on the app as it will eventually lock the motors.
2015-3-8
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-9 08:20
If it's working and you aren't forced to upgrade, probably best to just keep flying as is for the mo ...

I was just reading this on the thread you started Jim and very disheartening to hear this may happen to many with dual TX setups..
Jim keep us posted ,reading that thread right now .

One note to add I run a single TX unit and may have dodged this bullet, but that seems not the case for many as I'm catching up on my reading.
OP follow Jims advice here if all is good don't update until next firmware fiasco.
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-9 08:24
I was just reading this on the thread you started Jim and very disheartening to hear this may happ ...

Indeed.   I don't think it has anything to do with dual controller setups, just luck of the draw on each and every remote upgrade.   Dual controller setups just have the advantage of having a spare in case one gets bricked.   

Seems like about 40% of remotes that fail the upgrade are able to recover without sending it in suggesting their are to levels of corruption.   The first is relatively minor and the user can "clear its throat" but the second is obviously pretty severe if DJI is writing RMAs left and right.   They certainly wouldn't be doing this if there were any chance of users fixing the issue themselves.
2015-3-8
Use props
mtnred.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not doing the upgrade yet .Flying just fine and no restrictions on my engines .I do 3 flights a day and have had no problem with them stopping me flying ,yet.Nice to have 40 acres of vineyards to fly in .
2015-3-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a bin file to unbrick the Tx.  Once you run it on a newly formatted drive you can then install the update.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0suyxxhm5g5g6or/gs_ofdm.bin?dl=0
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 09:40
There is a bin file to unbrick the Tx.  Once you run it on a newly formatted drive you can then inst ...

Thanks Ed.   If the unbricking bin file doesn't work does that mean our only option is to return it for warranty repair?   Anything else we can try?

I just downloaded it from your link, formatted a USB drive as FAT (MS DOS), put it in the bricked remote and turned it on for 10 minutes.   Still just the red light and no beeps or other feedback.

Then tried again, this time turning the remote on and then inserting the USB, same result.

Anything else I can try?   I put in a formal support ticket last week but other than asking for details I had already provided in my original communication, I haven't received anything further.

(To clarify, I have tried this same test leaving the USB in for up to 2 hours, but thought I'd repeat it with Ed's upload of the bin file.  One I used before was most likely the exact same but received from another user with a similar issue.  The file worked for them.)
2015-3-8
Use props
stuzphotos
lvl.2

United States

I would not do it unless you want an Inspiring paper weight!
2015-3-8
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-9 08:17
I was worried cant blame us can yah.. However follow Dundee's chart and all will be cool.

Flying da ...

Where is Dundee's chart please?
Thanks
2015-3-8
Use props
roberto
lvl.1

Brazil

Where is the bin to unbrick the drone itself ????!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!
2015-3-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

roberto@dialtec Posted at 2015-3-9 10:28
Where is the bin to unbrick the drone itself ????!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!

Right now there is none.  Have you tried to reload the firmware?  What do the .txt files say.  Particular the one in the hidden folder MISC and within that LOG.  That gives exactly what happened during the upgrade by file.  If you can cut and paste here I can tell you what component failed and what may be necessary.  
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 10:36
Right now there is none.  Have you tried to reload the firmware?  What do the .txt files say.  Part ...

Thanks Ed.   If the unbricking bin file doesn't work on the RC does that mean our only option is to return it for warranty repair?   Anything else we can try?    See my post to you a few above for more details.
2015-3-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-9 10:48
Thanks Ed.   If the unbricking bin file doesn't work on the RC does that mean our only option is to ...

Try another USB drive or a SD card reader.  That has been the issue for some.  Other than that there is little that can be done other than replace the board.  I just tried to look up your case and could not find it.  What is your email?
2015-3-8
Use props
info
New

Germany

I had no issues at all. Did all fw update without the app. First the bird then remote.
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-9 11:02
Try another USB drive or a SD card reader.  That has been the issue for some.  Other than that ther ...

Thanks Ed, I've tried several but will try a few more.   My email is jim@harebrained.com.au would love to discuss further if there is any hope in recovering the RC without having to send it back.
2015-3-8
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-9 10:23
Where is Dundee's chart please?
Thanks

Search here or go back just a few days it was a hot topic and very helpful .
2015-3-9
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-9 08:17

Flying da ...

Hey Colonel!

Happy to say I took your advice and did the update!
Got both my controllers and my bird to accept the firmware and flew 4 batteries flawlessly this morning!

Absolutely wonderful!
No compass error, video feed wasn't lost (idk if that was firmware update or not) and gimbal was straight. Zero problems. Even maxed out speed at around 38mph and turned my pitch gain up to 130%. Just to see the affect. Phenomenal!
2015-3-9
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man I really Gotta say... Ever since this update My Bird (His name is BloodHawk) Has flown FASTER, FARTHER, HIGHER and LONGER. WITH NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER.. Here's a thought...Do you think these were made at separate manufacturing plants or perhaps the different people loading the firmware were not following protocol when loading? Just a thought.. Since many are having problems, yet some are extremely satisfied?
2015-3-9
Use props
Madame Concorde
lvl.2

United States

Here are Dundee's charts. I was scared to death up update my firmware it was easy and went smoothly.  Took less than an hour to update the bird and two Tx.

MC
Inspire1_firmware_install_Craft.png
Inspire1_firmware_install_TX.png
2015-3-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-3-10 10:03
Hey Colonel!

Happy to say I took your advice and did the update!

Great news!!
Take a village and we owe a lot to Dundee for that wicked cool flow chart ...

Bravo keep us informed please !
2015-3-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-3-10 10:06
Man I really Gotta say... Ever since this update My Bird (His name is BloodHawk) Has flown FASTER, F ...

Im with yah ..Been rock solid flying uploads lock up but always go thru quirky or not I like this thing ..a lot!
2015-3-9
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-3-10 10:06
Man I really Gotta say... Ever since this update My Bird (His name is BloodHawk) Has flown FASTER, F ...

Yea it was amazing!!! My bird updated in literally 6 minutes ( I was skeptical to turn her off, because the manual said approx. 25 min or whatever) But low and behold everything was fine. My 2 TXs and my bird all upated within 30 min.

I honestly think some people are jumping the gun and not FULLY doing the procedures. I tried to update my control with the gimbal at first, to no avail. I switched to my card reader and the TX updated instantly.

My second controller wouldn't update, so I opened up the file on the computer and saw that a second txt file under the .bin file and the 'udpate: successful' txt file was created. The text said to delete it for further updates. So I did that and the update went through my secondary with ease.

I feel some people are freaking out when something small goes wrong and immediately blames DJI or the equipment.

All it took was 5 min of snooping around my SD card and reader to figure out why it wasn't working immediately and Viola! Now have a PERFECT bird *knock on wood

SUPER HAPPY with it. The firmware really cleaned it up.

Thank you DJI!
2015-3-9
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

shakyamunifilms Posted at 2015-3-10 10:20
Yea it was amazing!!! My bird updated in literally 6 minutes ( I was skeptical to turn her off, be ...

Hi Shaky,

My update went rapidly as well.  I do mine without the bird attached to anything.  There were two sound sequences and the first one ended in about 5 minutes.   That was the end of the update but without having the Inspire attached to the App you wouldn't have known it unless used to the change in audio prompt.  For the controller about 10 minutes.

The only issue I've had is GPS drop out with various error prompts followed by drifting.  I have since changed some settings and flown without the problem for a couple days of heavy flying.  After the repeated GPS loss immediately post update, I am still keeping an eye on it until I get another 10 flights or so without it.

Glad it is working out for you!

2015-3-10
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Madame Concorde Posted at 2015-3-10 10:09
Here are Dundee's charts. I was scared to death up update my firmware it was easy and went smoothly. ...

Thanks, nice work!
2015-3-10
Use props
rbabcock19
lvl.2
Flight distance : 233993 ft
United States

Before I upgrade mine I want to make sure I do this right the first time.  I downloaded a zipped folder to my SD card root directory with a pdf and a bin file.  Is this how the file should be on the card in order to update or  do I need to extract the bin file and put it in the root directory to update?
2015-3-11
Use props
armyturtle
lvl.1

United States

Where's the bin to BRICK the drone itself???  

Oh wait - DJI already provides that - LOL  
2015-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules