Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why must the compass be calibrated each time?
5632 27 2015-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have always wondered why we must caliberate each time.  is it NOT better to caliberate compass at an interference free zone once and leave it alone.. Is the plane relying on the changed magnetic fields in the NEW location ? IF so then once you fly away from that zone would it NOT be confused?
2015-3-8
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

A self calibrating compass would have been better...Sick off doing the dance and looking silly doing it.
2015-3-8
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no need to do the compass calibration every time. You only need to do it if you have made a firmware change or traveled a long distance from the last position you calibrated the compass.
2015-3-8
Use props
mtnred.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

chrisgeigerphot Posted at 2015-3-9 08:35
There is no need to do the compass calibration every time. You only need to do it if you have made a ...

I only do mine if I have had a problem flying  Only 3 times and over 80 flights . Last time I had to do it when she put everything in reverse and nearly hit the roof of my house .Thank god I practice reverse landings . Although I had to run to keep her in sight .
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

What constitutes a long distance?       My routine is to do it at the start of each flying day, regardless of whether I'm in a new location or not.

Even so, I definitely do a calibration every time I am at a new location but usually it's within a couple of miles of somewhere else I've flown.

So how far before you recalibrate?   500ft?  10 miles?   Next city?
2015-3-8
Use props
chrisgeigerphot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13046529 ft
  • >>>
United States

On previous models, DJI has said 100 miles from original calibration location. I only do a compass calibration in an open field. If I am flying near a building or something similar I consider that a bad location to calibrate the compass. Building, cars and other metal objects can affect the compass. You don't want a bad calibration on the ground to affect the aircraft in the air.  
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Interesting, so you're saying in many ways it's better to rely on a good clean calibration for extended periods and the more built up an area is the more chance of a renewed calibration actually being a disadvantage?
2015-3-8
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

I had been calibrating before each flight. But then I thought the momentary compass errors that I would occasionally get in the first few minutes of flight might be the calibration settling down. Since I was essentially flying in the same area, I tried flying without a new calibration, being prepared to recover if I had to, and see if it resolved the compass error problem. It did not. But I've taken a few flights now without compass recalibration and haven't experienced any problems.
2015-3-8
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is no need to do the compass calibration every time. You only need to do it if you have made a ...

Thanks for the comment. I have not put my Inspire in the air yet. I am use to my Phantom 2 Vision and I only did the calibration once and have flown it miles away from the initial calibration spot and never had any issues. I also wonder why everyone is saying that you have to do the cal before every flight? If it has to be done each time we took a giant leap backwards!
2015-3-8
Use props
larry.crim
lvl.2

United States

Since the firmware update I do mine every time I fly, still getting compass error's since the update
2015-3-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I calibrate my compass , After a firmware upgrade and imu calibration , or a compass error message , and when traveling some distance from your regular flying home area , I've been 60 miles from where I did my last compass cal with no problems.
2015-3-8
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-9 08:51
What constitutes a long distance?       My routine is to do it at the start of each flying day, rega ...

next life...     (joking)
2015-3-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

dundee Posted at 2015-3-9 12:10

LOL!       Sorry, had to make enough characters to get past the minimum to post!
2015-3-8
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Ok, what about the IMU calibration? How often do you need to do that then?
2015-3-8
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

+1

I have done an IMU calibration ONCE (the day I unboxed my Inspire) and I have done a compass calibration ONCE (the day I unboxed my Inspire).
I have had ZERO problems and ZERO compass/GPS dropouts.
However, I DO check the mod values for the sensors before EVERY flight (even between batteries) and if they were out of tolerance or I got an error message I would calibrate then.
2015-3-8
Use props
steve2909
lvl.2

Australia

Agree Chris, I used to do it religiously but haven't done it every flight at my usual area for a while and noticed (not sure if calibration has anything to do with it) that I get less instances of GPS loss (albeit brief ones at that). I've yet to travel far from my usual hangout yet so I would endeavour to calibrate compass at any new location. As for IMU Calibration I don't bother (only done it once) if the settings are within the specs on the App. As Rodger said it would be a giant leap backwards if we had to continually calibrate everything all the time.  
2015-3-8
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

I will tell you why is a great idea to calibrate both IMU AND Compass if something happens to your I1 the first thing they will tell you is that it was a pilot error for not taking the proper steps to make sure that your drone was good to flight! Don't forget that they check everything when Something goes wrong with your bird and you need repair! Why risk it? It will only take you less than 10 min to make your preflight check! Better safe than sorry. I read a post where some guy flew his drone with his prop locks and one day he just got lazy and didn't put his prop lock for one flight and sure enough on that flight his drone fell from the sky like a brick! If you love your investment then just enjoy the entire process of flying.
2015-3-8
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-3-9 15:10
I will tell you why is a great idea to calibrate both IMU AND Compass if something happens to your I ...

I agree, however, I check my IMU and compass sensor mod before each flight and don't benefit from the additional step of calibration if they are within spec. Right?
2015-3-9
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

The question i originally asked was to do with the THEORY of compass calibration.

.i was wondering what is used by the software steering  the plane. Is it the magnetic/true  difference  in direction at each location ...if so why does the inspire NOT get confused in the air when it is away from that location.. anyone?
2015-3-9
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do compass cal. At every new place I fly. No probs yet.
2015-3-9
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

It makes me dizzy!
2015-3-10
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I have done calibration every time I take the Inspire out.  This is merely due to the reported Fly Aways etc and the collective opinion on the forum to calibrate the compass each time.

Once done and re-checking the screen on the app it still says "Calibrate" even after getting the green lights.  I have always acheived good GPS fix.  Doesnt take long to do the Calibration and it gives some peace of mind.

Just not sure whey I still get the "Calibrate" text on the App after doing it.
2015-3-10
Use props
2001guns
lvl.2

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-11 00:50
I have done calibration every time I take the Inspire out.  This is merely due to the reported Fly A ...

I do the compass every time I go out regardless of the location. I look so silly stumbling around in a circle that people ask questions. I started doing an Indian Chant as I go 'round and now they all think I'm really screwy.
2015-3-10
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do a compass calibration before each flight.  Typically getting the Inspire 1 out of the case and setting it up will attract some attention from other beach goers.  While I do the compass calibration, I just say tell people that the song is true....The Hokey Pokey is what it's all about....
IMU calibrations are done after firmware updates and if/when the aircraft experiences any significant jarring, banging around.  I experience a short compass error often shortly after take off, but then solid performance for remainder of flight.
2015-3-10
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

should IMU calibrations be done out in a open field too? or is it ok to do on my level kitchen floor?
2015-3-10
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I would do a compass calibration if I notice that the bird is facing the wrong way on the map in the pilot app compared to where it is facing in reality ...

Just thought of this ... Do we need to calibrate the compass in the app device also !?
2015-3-10
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-3-11 04:39
I would do a compass calibration if I notice that the bird is facing the wrong way on the map in the ...

Does ANYONE know (DJI MOderator?) what exactly does compass calibration accomplish ??
2015-3-10
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Love it!!

2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules