Wired Adapter EASY HACK
904 1 2017-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FauxFilm
lvl.2
United States

Hey gang...

I was glad to be a beta tester for the OSMO Pro/Raw Wired Video Adapter, and am glad that it is now available for sale, as it is a GREAT THING, and well worth the twenty bucks.  Actually, I would have paid a lot more for it, it works so well and makes such a difference in usability of the OSMO.

BUT... it does create a bit of a Frankenstein mess of connectors and cables flopping around.

There is a SUPER easy hack though that takes only about 30 seconds and a couple of parts.

What I did was loop the pigtail of the adapter back around and glue it to the top of the box... and then ad a right-angle USB adapter.  This keeps everything nice and tidy, and lets you nicely dress the cables around the unit without a lot of extraneous stuff or wires and connectors on the loose.  I also got two specific cables to connect to the phone.  A one-foot one is used in "normal" configuration.  A lot of the time though I put the phone bracket on an extender, because I like to see the witness marks that I have made on the focus wheel (helpful for bright conditions when it's not as easy to see the screen and focus by eyeball)... in this setup I use an 18-inch right-angle USB connector for my phone.  Both of these cables are the perfect length for each setup.

Some people are likely to say "That puts too much stress on the OSMO connector"... but, it's actually exactly the same weight on the connector as if it wasn't glued together... exactly (unless you count the weight of the glue...ha).  I'd contend that there is LESS of a chance of damaging the connector now, since there aren't any loose cables that might get snagged or caught on something.

I just used a small blob of hot glue on the parts, since I knew I could easy take it back apart if I didn't like the results.  It seems to be working great... if the hot glue doesn't hold I'll scrape it off and put the thing back together with epoxy.  Right now it's going strong though.  I got all the parts I needed (the right-angle USB connector and the two right-angle cables) online from CDW, but I'm sure there are lots of vendors that sell the same thing.

Your mileage may vary, and try it at your own risk... but for me this works great and makes the unit much more workable.

OSMOhack2.jpg

Enjoy!

T2

2017-5-18
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

Cleaner for sure.  Good thinking.
2017-5-18
Use props
Advanced