1680 17 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
el Tigre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21739 ft
United States

Taylor vs Huerta

Taylor has won. No registration required. For the moment. I'm sure the FAA will be busy before congress meets in August I think it is ?
2017-5-19
Use props
TXBiker63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 253 ft

United States

Good news. One man did what the AMA could not that's one of the many reasons the AMA is a meh for me. The sad thing about it is that the FAA likely isn't done with this bone. They'll chew it to a nub. Might as well enjoy it until the next attack that the FAA will present.
2017-5-19
Use props
Bobmagic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1813048 ft
United States

They say 700,000 people registered that's $3,500,00.00 where does that money go? They don't want us to fly anywere constantly trying regulate us but so happy to take our money and give nothing back. I could only imagine how much the FAA has made on new 107 pilots as well.
2017-5-19
Use props
Skippy_74
lvl.1
United States

I was just  in the process of registering my drone until I clicked on this thread.Now i'm going to wait and see what the outcome is going to be but when I was flying RC aircraft there was no FAA  rules for us then just AMA.Now it looks like the FAA sees a money pit ,$5.00,for each Fly for Fun person and no telling how much if your Flying for Work and it's not the money but I along with everybody else would like something in return.
2017-5-19
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2887251 ft
United States

I just did a new search and can't find anything recent on this issue. Was the suit tossed? Was their a ruling today?
2017-5-19
Use props
el Tigre
lvl.1
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-19 13:52
I just did a new search and can't find anything recent on this issue. Was the suit tossed? Was their a ruling today?
Yes today.

Ruling here:
https://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/in ... 15-1495-1675918.pdf

Court Order: http://bit.ly/2qz1p5h
Court Opinion: http://bit.ly/2q0tiAB

http://dronelife.com/2017/05/19/ ... istration-unlawful/

DJI attorneys comments are interesting here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology ... ation-rule-47514096

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/hobbyist-faa-drone-registration/
2017-5-19
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

el Tigre Posted at 2017-5-19 14:23
Yes today.

Ruling here:

El Tigre, Thanks for sharing those links. That's great information.

I'm new to the world of 'drones', but I can tell you one thing the industry for recreational model aircraft hobbyist should do, is lobby to get rid of the nomenclature of 'drone'. What we fly here is not a drone. It is a multi-rotor RC platform for a wonderful camera. Drone denotes Predator and Reaper aircraft circling above with Hellfires ready to rain down on us at a moments notice. This is nonsense, and what non of us does. Making beautiful images and flying in places that are hard to get to by car, boat, foot, is what this is about for me, and many others.

How does registering a 'drone' make things safer?? It does not. An idiot can see that. The FAA's intent may have been that, but how does taking my $5 and putting my personal information on a publicly accessible website make operating a quad copter safer? This too is nonsense.

DJI and other manufacturers are already making the skies safer by simply locking out zones where people should not be flying in the first place. Limiting altitude and distance is another way. Technology will always trump voluntary compliance, always.

Let's be safe, but lets not make it so restrictive (DJI), that the only thing we are left doing is flying around our house, or at the local park and ball field.
2017-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-19 14:49

I'm new to the world of 'drones', but I can tell you one thing the industry for recreational model aircraft hobbyist should do, is lobby to get rid of the nomenclature of 'drone'. What we fly here is not a drone. It is a multi-rotor RC platform for a wonderful camera. Drone denotes Predator and Reaper aircraft circling above with Hellfires ready to rain down on us at a moments notice. This is nonsense, and what non of us does. Making beautiful images and flying in places that are hard to get to by car, boat, foot, is what this is about for me, and many others.

" I can tell you one thing the industry for recreational model aircraft hobbyist should do, is lobby to get rid of the nomenclature of 'drone'. "

That train left the station a very long time ago and it's much too late to change things.
Our Phantoms are drones and the general public knows a lot more about our toys than they do about military drones nowdays.
2017-5-19
Use props
kmastro66
lvl.3
United States

So how do I get my 5 bucks back!!
2017-5-19
Use props
el Tigre
lvl.1
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-19 14:49

Bear I agree. Registration is not about safety, its about enforcement.   The FAA knows if they recover a UAS that's registered they have evidence.   They've published a guide for local law enforcement,  https://www.faa.gov/uas/resource ... PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf, that outlines how to investigate "suspected unauthorized UAS".  I haven't fathomed what would be an indicator a hobbyist UAS wasn't authorized.   

Does it make any sense I cant operate my multi rotor less than tree top level in my own yard without being subject civil and criminal penalties, or be prohibited from operating in my local, state and federal parks.  (All of which are banned in my area. )  I don't want to peer into my neighbors window, buzz a family picnicking in the park,  endanger  an aircraft , or chase wildlife down until they keel over but shouldn't I be allowed to video or take stills of a water fall,   a monument, a war memorial, or many of the other great things our parks encompass.  

And I agree with Labroides that "Drone" is a bad word and has become media fodder.  

We should keep an ear out and support people like Taylor and others who will be involved with  the upcoming aviation bill in August .

2017-5-20
Use props
captirwin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5568 ft
United States

Check out this link:

https://twitter.com/TheDroneGuy/ ... nelawjournal.com%2F
2017-5-20
Use props
BearDrone
lvl.3
United States

el Tigre Posted at 2017-5-20 03:02
Bear I agree. Registration is not about safety, its about enforcement.   The FAA knows if they recover a UAS that's registered they have evidence.   They've published a guide for local law enforcement,  https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf, that outlines how to investigate "suspected unauthorized UAS".  I haven't fathomed what would be an indicator a hobbyist UAS wasn't authorized.   

Does it make any sense I cant operate my multi rotor less than tree top level in my own yard without being subject civil and criminal penalties, or be prohibited from operating in my local, state and federal parks.  (All of which are banned in my area. )  I don't want to peer into my neighbors window, buzz a family picnicking in the park,  endanger  an aircraft , or chase wildlife down until they keel over but shouldn't I be allowed to video or take stills of a water fall,   a monument, a war memorial, or many of the other great things our parks encompass.  

It's absurd.

I had a neighbor, who lives across the street on a very busy waterway, get all twisted up because I was flying  my quad overhead to get to the park and cross the waterway that his house fronts. He was 'concerned' about a 'camera' flying around his house.

Firstly, I told him that I am going in-between his house and the next one to create a safe alley for me to fly over to get to the creek and bay. I also told him that the camera on this quad is a wide angle design and the only way I could even get close enough to recognize someone was to basically fly 20 feet in front of them.

I assured him that I have no goal of filming him or his house.
And then I pointed out to him that thousands of pleasure craft motor right by his house about 50 yards away in the water every year. From yachts to jet skis. Any one of these could have a person with a camera or binoculars that has a zoom that could get much more detail and violate his privacy much easier than a hobbyist AC over his house.

Are you flagging down each vessel and telling them your concerns??

He went back to his house.

This is why I still maintain that the word 'drone' is inappropriate for this hobbyist category. The horse may have left the barn, but it can certainly be saddled if the industry wanted to do it.

My neighbor is worried about his privacy because of my DRONE, when his privacy is violated every day by other means and he does not considered it because of the connotation of the word DRONE. He was focused on my flying camera when he should be worried about other issues.
2017-5-20
Use props
el Tigre
lvl.1
United States

BearDrone Posted at 2017-5-20 08:55
It's absurd.

I had a neighbor, who lives across the street on a very busy waterway, get all twisted up because I was flying  my quad overhead to get to the park and cross the waterway that his house fronts. He was 'concerned' about a 'camera' flying around his house.

Reminds me of  a incident where William Merideth shot down a multi rotor owned by John Boggs.  (Kentucky)  In short Merideth was arrested but his case was dismissed as was Boggs case in federal court as he  attempted to recover the cost of his multi rotor.

Merideth  questioned is he looking at the young girls ?  (his daughters) , is he looking for something to steal ?  Not that he said he was mind you just that he questioned,  “is he” ?   All conjecture.  He obviously had no idea who was operating it, why , or what if anything was being looked at.

There's youtube footage of the camera view and it didn't appear he was  even looking at Merideth's property. In fact his flight log showed he was 200 feet  AGL.  All of which the judge wouldn't even look at when Merideth went to local court.

Point is I think its mostly delusional paranoia.  A lot of people felt the same way when our cell phones became cameras and video recorders.   The media sensationalizes the word “DRONE” and now most people pucker up tight enough to bite a hole in their denims when they hear it.

Hopefully the public view of multi rotors will improve in time. Perhaps when the commercial use of them are more common place.  

I just hope there's some small part of the sky for a hobbyist to enjoy.

P.S. I might note the FAA's response was that drones cannot fly over buildings – and that shooting them poses a significant safety hazard.  If that had been a commercial UAS operating under 107 I think the civil / criminal penalties would have flown much more freely.  (pun intended)
2017-5-20
Use props
Skippy_74
lvl.1
United States

I think i'm going to start referring mine as a Quadcopter when i'm around uneducated people.  
2017-5-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The following article was in the Washington Post print edition this morning:  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/l ... _term=.0941c08818be

2017-5-30
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

The FAA scares people into registering with high dollar fines if you're caught without it. Especially when it's only $5 to register. Now I doubt that they will want to give back the close to 5 million $ they've made so far if them being in the wrong goes any further.
2017-5-30
Use props
Daphne
New

Indonesia

Hi, I am Daphne from Medan, Indonesia. I am new to the dji. I dont have enough points to make a new thread so i am posting here to ask a few simple questions. Hope you guys dont mind it. I wanted to buy a drone from USA and ship it to indonesia. But I was wondering can I use it in indonesia as the configuration to work a drone in my region might be different as others using certain frequency supported in that region for the flight control and video broadcast. Can someone kindly please explain it to me? Thank you so much
2017-5-30
Use props
Michgolden
Second Officer
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Daphne Posted at 2017-5-30 22:41
Hi, I am Daphne from Medan, Indonesia. I am new to the dji. I dont have enough points to make a new thread so i am posting here to ask a few simple questions. Hope you guys dont mind it. I wanted to buy a drone from USA and ship it to indonesia. But I was wondering can I use it in indonesia as the configuration to work a drone in my region might be different as others using certain frequency supported in that region for the flight control and video broadcast. Can someone kindly please explain it to me? Thank you so much

I don't think that you'll have to do anything special. You'll just have to check what laws etc.that they have there to fly.
2017-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules