60295 573 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Officewallah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34869 ft
United States

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 09:52
I understand that people are concerned about their expensive aircraft, but this wild speculation is harmful to the community as a whole. A lot of misinformation is being spread as people either don't read official documents closely, or they read someone's speculation and don't stick around to hear a rebuttal from a knowledgeable user or a DJI rep.

I urge everyone to read everything very closely and not make presumptions based on preconceived notions not based in reality.

Joe, DJI had an opportunity to get way ahead of this, I don't think DJI came up with this idea in the last week. It is pretty evident that what you put out is vague and does not address all the obvious questions and concerns, so expect some people to fill in the gaps where DJI have not provided information. Don't blame your customers, (most companies like their customers and want them to come back!) look at what DJI can do better in the future, or even now, to deal with these issues.
2017-5-23
Use props
fansc15dc5fd
lvl.2
United States

Joe, Phantomski,

Here is a communication satisfaction survey. Well, sort of.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=97105

If this one doesn't prove the communication is poor... Welll... Nothing will convince you, I guess.
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

I am in no way are blaming customers, just urging everyone to avoid "filling in the gaps" with misleading information. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

That being said, I've said all I can. I clarified this to the best of my personal ability.
2017-5-23
Use props
fans8f60fcd9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425246 ft
United Kingdom

I don't really understand the massive uproar and constant spreading of misinformation( that sun article for example)..... I have only owned my drone for a few months but i have honestly had no problems with it other than a weird gimbal roll on firmware .600. Have they not stated that NOTHING will change if you do not update and even if you do still essentially nothing will change? I dont get it?!?!
2017-5-23
Use props
HermanoLoco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 462648 ft
Brazil

Hello, I won my Mavic from an Uncle who lives in Peru and I live in Brazil. When my Uncle bought Mavic, I do not know why, but the store activated the product and it took hours to do that and activated Drone in Peru.  My question is: How can I re-activate my drone if I do not have the user name or the password for it?  Until I understand it there is a user registered in the activation that is not necessarily the user who flies the Drone.  What can happen in my case? I imagine this is the case of people who bought a used Drone as well.
2017-5-23
Use props
fans1d621139
lvl.3
Flight distance : 862854 ft
United States

DJI Joe,

My first post to this forum.  My reason for coming here is the bad press that is starting to go viral.  This thread says it all and I think DJI needs to get out in front of this sooner rather than later.  You tell us we have nothing to worry about and we are spreading rumors.  Here is my very simple  question:  If I choose to NEVER upgrade to the latest firmware and GO app, will I be able to continue to fly indefinitely?  To put a finer point on it, can you tell all of us that there is no "kill switch" in any (already released) version of firmware that will eventually stop working if we don't upgrade?
Thanks in advance!
2017-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

4wd Posted at 2017-5-23 12:39
Https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/36 ... eir-details-online/

YOU'RE GROUNDED Top drone manufacturer threatens to ‘brick’ its £1.5k copters unless owners agree to share their details online

Is that not your biggest rag.
2017-5-23
Use props
E-Copter
lvl.2

France

Officewallah Posted at 2017-5-23 06:04
Lot of words and missing the point... this does not seem to be about the restrictions per se, but about the application of them, after the fact. Most people on here did not buy their equipment with this expectation clearly spelled out otherwise I am sure a lot of different purchasing decisions may have been made, or maybe not, but at least we have we would been aware of what we were actually purchasing.

Hi,

i do agree in some ways, but the real point is :how drones are actually getting inserted in the aerial space without causing conflicts / risks on one hand, and how to deal with privacy on the other hand.

These are not easy subjects at all, as everybody has his own point of view about the thing, exaclty like colours and tastes...

Actually, if you check Iphones updates and agreement, Google, Facebook... and read them fully, they are pretty intrusive and nobody really cares and just clicks " i agree".

The one thing i do agree fully is, the way the information has come up ( pop up at DJI Go 4 launch) was maybe not very " efficient" and lacks of dimplomacy and deep explanations.

In my personal opinion the goal of this update is to avoid some people to tweak the geospatial infos in order to fly where they are not supposed to ( professionals aerial video are supposed to know about the aerial space restrictions, but it can't be asked the end customer using his drone for recreational usage to know as much of course, so the Geo thing is here to remind and prevent, nothing more, nothing less..).

The "trouble" part is the indoor flight as you don't get GPS infos ( maybe 4G connection can allow to get partial geolocalisation before takeoff ?) .

For everything else, i think there is a lot of drama for a little thing, and if i understood well (you tell me ?) the biggest concern is, that buying a device on which the software / firmware receives changes like that without user allowance to agree is not well received. Then maybe it would be a good thing to separate old / new batches of machines and leave the choice to customers for the already sold /produced units and set up new rules for upcoming hardware, leaving the choice to their future owners ?

But at some time, the machines will need to be restricted as per the law for the concerned countries, as you do imagine that getting a 5 or 6 miles radius is a lot, and too much, because 95% of the pilots going that far do it only because they rely on RTH, GPS and assistances, without all of these most of them would even not go really further than line of sight ( a coupleof hundreds meters..). Big dilemna to find the right balance pleasing to everybody for sure..

BEst regards,
Fabien
2017-5-23
Use props
Brocks
lvl.1
Australia

Joe,

Thank you very much for clearing up my questions, as well as talking to us in the forms.

My only question remaining is after I log in after the update. Will the Mavic need an internet connection anytime during start up and flight?

So the second I unfold my Mavic, put my phone in the controler, power the controler and have the DJI Go app running. Then turn on my mavic, wait for the GPS Fix, press launch and fly away then back.

Will the Drone, Controler, App or Phone need any kind on Data connection EG 3G, 4G, WiFI or anything similar?

Again thank you very much Joe, your right about the misinfomation my previous comment was made up of what I had read online.

Hope to hear back soon.

- Brock
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Brocks Posted at 2017-5-23 15:24
Joe,

Thank you very much for clearing up my questions, as well as talking to us in the forms.

You will not need an internet connection to fly. Just to log in for the first time after updating.
2017-5-23
Use props
fans87e29db7
New
Flight distance : 272477 ft
United Kingdom

DJI is all about control. Talk about tyranny.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/scien ... ess-users-register-
2017-5-23
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Salute to DJI Joe for his support. For me, the lack of communication was really part of the reason why the paranoia grew.

2017-5-23
Use props
Brocks
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 15:36
You will not need an internet connection to fly. Just to log in for the first time after updating.

Joe,

I think you need a promotion!

If you had not stepped in who knows where we'd be.

We im now ready to update, hope everyone can understand it now. Nothing to be feared.

Just one last question, if im in Australia and take my Mavic to another contry. Will it automaticly make the adjustments from GPS or will I need to download a file via internet, then fly normaly.

Thanks again.

- Brock
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Brocks Posted at 2017-5-23 16:02
Joe,

I think you need a promotion!

Just like now, you won't need to manually download anything.
2017-5-23
Use props
LGGG
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Does DJI CARE will continue to be valid if I don't update?
Or if I use litchi instead DJI GO4?
2017-5-23
Use props
Brocks
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 16:08
Just like now, you won't need to manually download anything.

Great, very last thing.

So when traveling with the Mavic, it can go from country to country without the need to apply or download (automatically or manually) an updates to the drone based on its new location, with an internet connection, for instance to apply NFZ is that correct?

All that is taken care of via the GPS signals? Is that correct?

Also if it cannot locate a GPS location it will still be able to fly normally? (When moved from its last location to a different country?)

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Have a great day!

- Brock
2017-5-23
Use props
Mavrick
lvl.2
United States

I have asked the question and the Mods have answered other questions and ignored this one.
So let me ask it again.

DJI MODERATORS  I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU.

Is it true that your Chinese Beta testers are using a Version of DJI GO4 that requires a SIM Chip device with a Data plan?

Is it also true that the telemetry data from their flights is broadcast in real time to the  DJI servers?

Is it true that the SIM chips phone number must be registered on the Beta Testers account.  If they change the SIM chip the craft will not fly?

Is it also true that Beta Testers who did not upgrade their devices to Data enabled devices are no longer able to be part of the Beta Team?

I am eagerly awaiting your response.  If you do not know the answers then please consult with your manager so that you can reply with Yes or No answers.

Thank You
2017-5-23
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3340 ft
France

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 10:00
Can you clarify where you heard this? Our announcement simply said you will need to reactivate the drone while connected to the internet after installing the new update (released later this week).

The drone's functions are only limited if you don't reactivate the drone (which you have already done once).

Why ?
What is the actual reason of this "re-activation" ?
The reason put forward is just ridiculous since the drone, when powered on, knows immediately its precise geographic location.
Thus, what is the TRUE reason ?
2017-5-23
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
France

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 13:03
I am in no way are blaming customers, just urging everyone to avoid "filling in the gaps" with misleading information. I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

That being said, I've said all I can. I clarified this to the best of my personal ability.

"All you can" and "are allowed to say" or "all you know" ?
2017-5-23
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
France

HermanoLoco Posted at 2017-5-23 13:17
Hello, I won my Mavic from an Uncle who lives in Peru and I live in Brazil. When my Uncle bought Mavic, I do not know why, but the store activated the product and it took hours to do that and activated Drone in Peru.  My question is: How can I re-activate my drone if I do not have the user name or the password for it?  Until I understand it there is a user registered in the activation that is not necessarily the user who flies the Drone.  What can happen in my case? I imagine this is the case of people who bought a used Drone as well.

Yes.
Perfectly true.
I own a Mavic that I registered myself (no problem) but also two second hand P3A registered by two owners I have not anymore coordinates and even family name. What can I do ?
2017-5-23
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
United Kingdom

I still don't see the problem.
DJI know where you've flown its in your logs if you connect to the internet. I have no problem with it I don't do anything illegal or fly where I shouldn't. I fly within the guidelines given by my local CAA and would hope that one day DJI can put in place a system that alerts you of flights in you area. And maybe of other pilots (at there discretion). Aircraft have to squawk their ID's so why shouldn't a Quad thats flying?
2017-5-23
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

fansf5f0f0fc Posted at 2017-5-23 17:07
"All you can" and "are allowed to say" or "all you know" ?

Get over it. Stop trolling
2017-5-23
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've never seen such a gathering of conspiracists.  If it wasn't so ridiculous, it would be hilarious!
2017-5-23
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

You realize they threaten to limit flight and distance if people did not login right?

Not a cause for concern? Not even one iota?

K.
2017-5-23
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

this could be the reason for this firmware:
"Thus, we propose in concept the following remote identification solutions:1.  Primary:  radio frequency transmission to local receivers using existing UA antennas and modified C2 or video link protocols including one or more open standards2.  Secondary:  Add-on modules that make use of one of the link protocols3.  Tertiary:  Optional network-based identification system, likely over mobile telephone connections and the internet" . Basically  DJI is going to register your drone, client's name, address and beam this on a sub frequency over the 2 or 5GHz spectrum to anybody that has the receiver (law enforcement) so they know when and who is flying that Remote Air Craft at all times
LINK is below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr ... %203-22-17.pdf?dl=0
2017-5-23
Use props
Stanley.Y
lvl.1
Taiwan

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 11:33
Disable auto-updates and you will not be affected.

Ah....Thanks!
But ..... how to disable auto-update ? I can't find it in GO4 (iOS v4.0.6) , or you mean I can disable in NEW GO4 ?And If I go to Philippine tomorrow , is that means I can't fly my drone there if update release during my trip ?

2017-5-23
Use props
fansfec39072
New
Canada

Stanley.Y Posted at 2017-5-23 18:33
Ah....Thanks!
But ..... how to disable auto-update ? I can't find it in GO4 (iOS v4.0.6) , or you mean I can disable in NEW GO4 ?And If I go to Philippine tomorrow , is that means I can't fly my drone there if update release during my trip ?

Hi,

I'm following this post as I'm in the same boat - I can't seem how to figure it out. iOS 10.3.2

Cheers,
Brian
2017-5-23
Use props
fansfec39072
New
Canada

Hi folks,

Personally, I've VERY interested in what this update will bring. I'm hoping to block it until I can find out exactly what it is.

I held off from buying my Mavic for months because the place where I fly it 90% of the time is within an airport/aerodrome zone.

BUT, before I get flamed for being irresponsible, that zone is about to disappear because the aerodrome (a single grass strip airport) is currently closed and up for sale.
Rumour is that a housing developer will buy it (which makes sense given the surrounding area's growth).

I may have jumped the gun, but as soon as I saw that news, I bought my Mavic.
Every trip I make to fly it, I drive past this aerodrome which is locked with for sale signs up  (and due to all the rain here recently, mostly flooded too). I think even a helicopter would sink into the ground because it's so saturated! Every time I fly, I get the warnings. I'm sure if anyone at DJI is reading my logs, they must think I'm the worst pilot, but honestly, there's really no airport. I even took photos of the signs as proof should I ever need to provide it.

I hope DJI doesn't auto enforce NFZ's or at least, outlines very specific areas like larger airports etc...

In 1 way, I actually appreciate the up front news, but on the other hand, it's somewhat left to wonder. Maybe if they could release the update sooner (as long as it's crash proof!), that would help ease tension.

As a business, I can't see DJI auto enforcing because that would be a killer to their bottom line.

Then again, there are forces behind business (governments for one) which influence things more than we know!

Cheers,
Brian
2017-5-23
Use props
quick_dry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41526 ft
Australia

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 10:45
It'll act as it currently does. You'll be able to fly in P-OPTI mode.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation.
2017-5-23
Use props
Stanley.Y
lvl.1
Taiwan

fansfec39072 Posted at 2017-5-23 19:37
Hi,

I'm following this post as I'm in the same boat - I can't seem how to figure it out. iOS 10.3.2

Hi Brian ,
My iphone iOS is 10.3.2 also , GO 4 version is 4.0.6 , couldn't find "auto-update" switch in GO 4 , maybe someone use 4.0.8 can tell us if "auto-update" switch in their menu ?

2017-5-23
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-23 13:03

Hi Joe,

I appreciate your the official lamb to the slaughter here, so please don't take anything I might say personally.

But I think you are missing some of the fundamental issues here and I hope you see where we are coming from.

Yes, there is a lot of mis-information, but we can only go on the information that we find, and other than what many people have described as  very ambiguous communication from DJI we have had no other official announcements to calm our fears.

Many people have read the communication, including myself, and all we see is "if you take the new update you will have to continue to update, and reactive or your grounded". The continued use of the same response that THIS update brings no new restrictions is also of concern.

DJI have a responsibility to clarify this. If DJI don't clarify and address our concerns directly, we have no other option other than to rely on 3rd part interpretation and "fake-news".

As said many times already, DJI need to "get out in front of this" and either clarify exactly what is changing now, and in the future and WHY.

The second issue is, for me at least (and possibly the bigger issue), is that DJI are "moving the goal posts" and fundamentally changing how you support/update the Mavic. We technically entered a contract agreement when we bought DJI's product. This contract was based on the conditions that existed and where advertised when we purchased the Mavic. I understood that when I bought my Mavic. These new requirements to receive updates and resulting penalties if you don't follow these requirements where not advertised when I purchased my Mavic, and as such DJI are breaking our contract. I want to keep my Mavic up to date, but I the process in which you now propose to do this is not the one agreed upon when I purchased my device.

Finally, I will actually ask a question, if you could please answer. Will my DJI Refresh remain valid should I choose to never upgrade my Mavic beyond its current firmware and app level?

And although I know your probably not in a position to offer an official "statement" based on my observations of the situation, if you could at least provide your personal feelings on them that would be appreciated. People here need to be reassured and given clear answers by DJI. Not told by email to "just update", as I was yesterday.

2017-5-23
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Best bet to get public awareness going is to comment on their FB page announcements. Especially with the spark launching later.

Not spam mindlessly. But ask the questions and concerns we have in a pragmatic manner.

Three million people 'like' their FP page. Maybe 1% of that are bothered to actually read the forums.
2017-5-23
Use props
fansdcb1a91e
New
Belgium

For what it's whorth, here are some answers from the online help service

2017-5-24
Use props
fansdcb1a91e
New
Belgium

For what it's whorth, here are some answers from the online help service

Capture d’écran 2017-05-24 à 11.16.47.png
Capture d’écran 2017-05-24 à 11.16.52.png
2017-5-24
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Really appriciate Joe giving us answers.
However some questions are not being answered.

The big "why" question.
With that i mean not the pseudo "why" we are being given, cause my Mavic flies perfectly without the geo blablabla.
Why change the rules of the game during the game, why?

Just be clear about it.
Is it because of drone incidents and DJI fears regulation?
If yes, just be clear about it and take your loss cause some customers don't want it.

2017-5-24
Use props
Bobmagic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1813048 ft
United States

Here's the thing that worries me. DJI is very vauge about exactly what the update will do, like it will put limits on location hight distance> Why won't they tell us EXACTLY WHAT THE UPDATE CONTAINS AND WHAT LIMITAION IT WILL PUT ON OUR AIRCRAFTS DJI PLEASE ANSWER and if you don't I will take it as DJI won't tell us because we'll be mad at them for for putting limits on somethig I own allready. It's like buying a car and a few moths later the dealer ships says hey it's mandatory you come ind and let us put some resrictions on your car even thought you own it
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bobmagic Posted at 2017-5-24 02:16
Here's the thing that worries me. DJI is very vauge about exactly what the update will do, like it will put limits on location hight distance> Why won't they tell us EXACTLY WHAT THE UPDATE CONTAINS AND WHAT LIMITAION IT WILL PUT ON OUR AIRCRAFTS DJI PLEASE ANSWER and if you don't I will take it as DJI won't tell us because we'll be mad at them for for putting limits on somethig I own allready. It's like buying a car and a few moths later the dealer ships says hey it's mandatory you come ind and let us put some resrictions on your car even thought you own it

Dji have given a statement if you read it it's clear enough, I think the problem is so many asking questions about stuff that's not in the statement.
Like what if this happens is this going to change this or that, these are questions about other stuff that's not in the statement.
If you just take the statement at face value read what it says , don't try to read other things that are not there, then update looks fine.
Of course if you think there is some sort of subterfuge going on well you will just have to wait and see, but I've seen all this before and it always seems to be down to over reaction and people reading into something that is not there in the first place.
Already we have Trump the CIA FBI FAA all involved in this. Lol , This should tell it's own story.
Good luck.
2017-5-24
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

I disagree.

The problem is that DJI is threatining to limit your drone if we do not login after the app update.

We are not required to do this now after we upgrade firmware. So what changed?

The answer given was to ensure you are using the correct geospatial location when you fly. However isnt that already the case as of today?

Again, what changed?

2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

morpheus2480 Posted at 2017-5-24 03:32
I disagree.

The problem is that DJI is threatining to limit your drone if we do not login after the app update.

That question has already been answered, you can stay on old firmware, .600 .700, and you won't be restricted.
But that point probably should have been explained better. But you have the option not to update and hold back to see if there are all these other problems are going to come with this update.

The benefit I see from this update is I can travel to other countries and my Mavic will be set up to the parameters and rules of that country, I don't have to be looking over my shoulder when I'm travelling to see if I'm doing something wrong.
2017-5-24
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

What do you mean you can travel to other countries and setup your drone to the parameters and rules for that country?

The app update is said to make sure your location is conveyed to their GEO system, which is primarily for NFZ limitations.

Again, I thought this already happened in the current app.
2017-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules