DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
60279 573 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
souptang
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14295 ft
Taiwan

So to the Customers what are the benefits of this new Software And Firmware Updates?
  Bugs Fixed ? Enhanced performance? Extended warranty? etc..
If there is none of the above, why I need re-login to update?

2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

morpheus2480 Posted at 2017-5-24 04:03
What do you mean you can travel to other countries and setup your drone to the parameters and rules for that country?

The app update is said to make sure your location is conveyed to their GEO system, which is primarily for NFZ limitations.

Sorry I meant my drone should already be set up ,
2017-5-24
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 03:46
That question has already been answered, you can stay on old firmware, .600 .700, and you won't be restricted.
But that point probably should have been explained better. But you have the option not to update and hold back to see if there are all these other problems are going to come with this update.

Hi hallmark,

My major concern here is that I bought a device that I expected to be able to get regularly updates in firmware etc for the life of the device (by life of device I mean till DJI stop supporting/selling it).

This was not going to require me to have to reactive/log in etc, it did not come with any preconditions. I could install updates as I need or want them and not worry about losing functionality. This is what was "advertised" when I purchased my mavic, only 8 weeks ago.

Forgot for a moment its a drone. Its a device, like a Samsung phone for example. They release updates and firmware upgrades in the same way, they add functionality, remove bugs etc. You don't have to install them, but equally they dont change your requirements or processes if you want to install them. They dont build in anything that will render your phone unusable if you dont want to logon somewhere. Its possible to roll back to previous upgrades if you so wish. This is an accepted practice that we all know and understand.

Can you honestly say that if your phone provider, who ever it was, gave you a few days notice that they were pushing an update and if you even accidentally end up upgrading you are then locked into a new process where if you dont follow it as they want you to, your phone is now a brick. Or your tablet, your laptop, your TV, your car?

If I was a new customer, thinking of buying a Mavic, I would have the time to consider my choices, wait and see the outcome of all this hyped up agro and make an informed decision. But I am not a possible new customer, I (like you and everyone else) just handed over a lot of money for a device, based on an expectation of how it works. And they are changing this.
2017-5-24
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 04:28
Sorry I meant my drone should already be set up ,

And this is why there is needs to be more clarification.

I was starting to believe that for the moment, NOTHING CHANGES. Its not going to be programmed to say a max 120m here in Ireland, or 150 in France if thats the limit etc. All that was still in our control (for now).

So we all have different understandings of what is being said. Its very ambiguous
2017-5-24
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

Why cant I see this thread in the Mavic section any more?
2017-5-24
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Ambiguous stattements in terms of tech policies is never a good thing.

I always smell ambiguity as cover for any legal ramifications that might arise.

Look... I am all for DJI trying to make this hobby safe for everyone involved... consumers and government entities.

But as has been stated numerous times... communication is key. And to hear their stand that they do not deem it worthy to offer a statement (prior to DJI Joe) on a matter that in their eyes, is just being blown out of proportion.... is quite frankly disappointing. Seems short sighted and dismissive of genuine well articulated concerns. Just my 2 cents
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-5-24 04:41
Hi hallmark,

My major concern here is that I bought a device that I expected to be able to get regularly updates in firmware etc for the life of the device (by life of device I mean till DJI stop supporting/selling it).

I suppose if you take the statement for what it is, and don't try to read into it something that's not there, then the one major difference is having to re register, it's my thinking that this has to do with trying to get there ducks in a row regarding geospatial and NFZ for each country as is explained. Yes it looks the only way they can do this is to force there customers to update, and this is probably not the best way to go about it, but I think this must be there only option.

Yes you bought your Mavic same as me and want to fly it within  the same parameters as it had on day 1 and I don't think these are going to change with any new update.
Not being able to revert back to older firmware well that's already the case with all dji drones, I can't go back to original firmware I had when I purchased my P4 over a year ago.
Problem is drones are not phones and if improvements especially safety improvements can be implemented then I'm all for that, I also think this sort of improvement will only lead to more freedom to fly drones in more places.
For the moment anyone can stay on .600 and .700 to wait and see how this will turn out, and yes if it imposes restrictions on the flight parameters of your drone then that will become a serious issue but I don't see this happening.
In the 4/5 years I've been flying dji drones I have never seen restrictions put on these drones because of firmware or software updates, although some may disagree this has been my experience and I don't see this as anything different.
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-5-24 04:48
And this is why there is needs to be more clarification.

I was starting to believe that for the moment, NOTHING CHANGES. Its not going to be programmed to say a max 120m here in Ireland, or 150 in France if thats the limit etc. All that was still in our control (for now).

The truth is if I go to Sweden with my drone it won't tell me what Swedens height restriction is it will tell me what irelands is .
2017-5-24
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 05:11
I suppose if you take the statement for what it is, and don't try to read into it something that's not there, then the one major difference is having to re register, it's my thinking that this has to do with trying to get there ducks in a row regarding geospatial and NFZ for each country as is explained. Yes it looks the only way they can do this is to force there customers to update, and this is probably not the best way to go about it, but I think this must be there only option.

Yes you bought your Mavic same as me and want to fly it within  the same parameters as it had on day 1 and I don't think these are going to change with any new update.

I appreciate the fact you took the time to right a considered response! So I give you this.
If this is their end game, I might argue that they already have everything they need to be able to enforce NFZ's etc. But I am still a relative new comer to the drone game, so won’t start and argument that I may very well lose!

But I would argue there are much better ways to go about achieving the goal of everyone having the latest updates etc. Typically people want to upgrade. They want the benefit of better functions/modes/hardware options that come with having the latest firmware. The want shiney and new!

Instead they are strong arming. If you want these functions, like your DJI Goggles, or whatever, you will be at their mercy to apply any update they want or risk having your drone grounded.

I am 100% confident, if DJI announced that “The next update is going to include improved geospatial whatever” no one would bat an eye… I would have updated in a heartbeat…. I want to fly safe…. The people who don’t want to fly safe will always find a way.

Strong arming will always result in back lash. Forcing people to change will always result in back lash.

FORCING PEOPLE TO CHANGE WHEN YOU HAVE EFFECTIVELY HAVE A CONTRACT IN PLACE. Well... we can all see what that results in

Most companies understand this. So this leaves only 2 conclusions… DJI, a massive worldwide company, are impressively naïve or there is a hidden or future agenda. Human nature will always default to the latter.

2017-5-24
Use props
fans62c85012
New
Germany

just few Words: THAT WAS NOT PART OF OUR PURCASE CONTRACT !
i am getting more pi**ed off and of course i will send you the Crap back...
starting to buildup my own handmade drone.... maybe not that luxury as yours but free of beeing forced to do Things i want not do to

Same like Audi would announce ... Hey bring your Car for an Improvement and ahhh we forgot maybe the car will not drive faster than 120 kmh
but dont care ist almost not allowed to dive faster in your Country. Btw. if you dont bring your car, we are sorry you can only drive 30km far and max Speed is set to 50kmh....
2017-5-24
Use props
fans62c85012
New
Germany

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-5-24 05:35
I appreciate the fact you took the time to right a considered response! So I give you this.
If this is their end game, I might argue that they already have everything they need to be able to enforce NFZ's etc. But I am still a relative new comer to the drone game, so won’t start and argument that I may very well lose!

I'm 100% convinced that this update has nothing to do with restricting your aircraft that I'm sure of, I do think it's more to do with dji needing to have all there data up to date and correct. There are many benefits to having this information for both flyers and those making the rules and this is why they are trying to bring this up to date.
Yes maybe the could have done it better , like not controlling drone owners craft , but maybe putting a time limit to let those who are concerned have time to get use to the idea, but if they put six months everyone would want 7 months.
I am pragmatic about most things and I believe here that there will be no change unless it's for the better I don't think it will be a huge task for people to do and I think this will be forgotten by most in a very short time.

Look Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right overnight. Just as well they didn't have a forum like this , or some might have changed and others might have stayed the same until the seen how it worked out. Lol
2017-5-24
Use props
isaacchu
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Things are pretty clear right now.

1. In term of flight function and geospatial information, there is no noticeable change from the new updates as confirmed by DJI Joe. The only obvious change is DJI will impose restrictions if you don't accept the new term and condition or re-login.
2. If you choose not to update, there is not possible to get any future updates for bug fixing and function improving.
3. DJI will never told you why they make this useless update (not for safety, not for enchancement but only for restriction) and you will never get the answer from DJI.

It is the most honest DJI can do.  The reason for the update must for protection of your and DJI 's interest. The only device that getting limition function during the update is Samsung Note 7. Now you know what's happening.
2017-5-24
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3340 ft
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 03:46
That question has already been answered, you can stay on old firmware, .600 .700, and you won't be restricted.
But that point probably should have been explained better. But you have the option not to update and hold back to see if there are all these other problems are going to come with this update.

Absolutely not.
I was just discussing this on a French forum.
It seems that DJI has extentend the US rules to most other countries.
In France, the geofencing as imposed by DJI correspond in no way to the French official geofencing for drones.
In the attached picture, I made a comparison between a DJI Geo map and the official map defining flying rules for my neighboring. I chose the small village of Came as an example. In the DJI map, it is located in a simple "advertise" zone. In the French official map, it is in the huge NFZ of a big military airport located to the North (NFZ in red, purple=flight limit 30m, orange=flight limit 50m, yellow=flight limit 100m).
You can also notice that NFZ (and altitude limitations) of airports are much more extended in the French map than in the DJI map and even that some small recreational airports are missing.
So, if you plan a trip to foreign countries, don't trust at all the DJI geofencing and ask for local rules.
NFZ_CAME.JPG
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansf5f0f0fc Posted at 2017-5-24 08:49
Absolutely not.
I was just discussing this on a French forum.
It seems that DJI has extentend the US rules to most other countries.

Well I suppose it's best to be careful, but in saying that hopefully dji will work with separate countries to correct these anomalies.
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey dji joe any idea when new software is coming I have 2 jobs coming up this Saturday/Sunday, would like to know if it's likely this week or will it be next week, the warning notice says next week but it's been up since last week..
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 10:18
Hey dji joe any idea when new software is coming I have 2 jobs coming up this Saturday/Sunday, would like to know if it's likely this week or will it be next week, the warning notice says next week but it's been up since last week..

No idea. Sorry I can't be of more help.
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-24 10:59

Well dji updates don't usually happen on weekends so will check Friday and I should be ok.
2017-5-24
Use props
The Droninator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5538 ft
Germany

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-5-24 04:52
Why cant I see this thread in the Mavic section any more?

I could not find it too.
It will probably be a censorship...?
2017-5-24
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Roads already have speed limits???  but when the speed limits change on the roads? What do car makers do?  when the car have the thousand-mile service , they have to change the limit of your car? unbelievable!!!! .... but so funny for DJI...
After this little advice...   
http://link.dji.com/u/gm.php?UID ... 6680_1282728_696636
I'm going to think about it
Anyway  I add even more...   
https://www.easa.europa.eu/syste ... -05%20%28A%29_0.pdf
mmm... What you think about?
What will happen when the rules change in Europe???
I don't want change speed limit on my car when have the thousand-mile service...  and I don't want any changes on my lovey DJI too ...

Freedom

Freedom

2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AlexVideoShark Posted at 2017-5-24 12:32
Roads already have speed limits???  but when the speed limits change on the roads? What do car makers do?  when the car have the thousand-mile service , they have to change the limit of your car? unbelievable!!!! .... but so funny for DJI...  After this little advice...   http://link.dji.com/u/gm.php?UID=MqvP5VPyxP&ID=290636680_1282728_696636 I'm going to think about it Anyway  I add even more...   https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/NPA%202017-05%20%28A%29_0.pdf mmmm... What you think about?  What will happen when the rules change in Europe???  I don't want change speed limit on my car when have the thousand-mile service...  and I don't want any changes on my lovey DJI too ...

There will be no restrictions.
2017-5-24
Use props
fester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77408 ft
United States

Thursday now in China is there word on when the software/firmware updates will actually be posted to DJI's servers?
2017-5-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

The Droninator Posted at 2017-5-24 11:57
I could not find it too.
It will probably be a censorship...?

Since it applies to more than just the Mavic, it has been placed in the SERVICE section. It actually was always there, but the sticky to the top of the Mavic section has been removed to make room for other announcements.
2017-5-24
Use props
The Droninator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5538 ft
Germany

Thanks Joe!

Could you please tell me why DJI deleted the FW400 and blocked the factory reset?
2017-5-24
Use props
fansa2b4bac9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34245 ft
Greece

The Droninator Posted at 2017-5-24 12:53
Thanks Joe!

Could you please tell me why DJI deleted the FW400 and blocked the factory reset?

cause they dont want us to go back
2017-5-24
Use props
fans8f60fcd9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425246 ft
United Kingdom

Jesus christ, everyone needs to stop whining and posting the same false statements over and over.... essentially nothing is changing.
2017-5-24
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 12:35
There will be no restrictions.

Are you sure ? ...
maybe yes ... in effect ... they already ask to sblock by dji website the aircraft when we need to fly in some area ... so... should be so easy ... just improve the restrict area or something like this
But... I'm still with finger crossed ... it's already so complicated.... why add more problems
And it's against the freedom... but this is only an my opinion ...
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AlexVideoShark Posted at 2017-5-24 13:39
Are you sure ? ...
maybe yes ... in effect ... they already ask to sblock by dji website the aircraft when we need to fly in some area ... so... should be so easy ... just improve the restrict area or something like this
But... I'm still with finger crossed ... it's already so complicated.... why add more problems

No need to worry Alex, in all my time using dji craft I've never seen dji restrict AC after update.
2017-5-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans8f60fcd9 Posted at 2017-5-24 13:35
Jesus christ, everyone needs to stop whining and posting the same false statements over and over.... essentially nothing is changing.

“You can’t save others from themselves because those who make a perpetual muddle of their lives don’t appreciate your interfering with the drama they’ve created. They want your poor-sweet-baby sympathy, but they don’t want to change.”
2017-5-24
Use props
AlexVideoShark
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-24 13:40
No need to worry Alex, in all my time using dji craft I've never seen dji restrict AC after update.

Thank you very much ...
anyway I will wait to update my p3a and then I will decide when  to buy a p4p or something else ...
i am a supporter of dji ... i have always updated my AC firmware and various apps but allow me to think that something is changing....
2017-5-24
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Ireland

DJI Joe Posted at 2017-5-24 10:59

Hi Joe,

Since I see you dont or cant respond to any of my other points, can you please confirm that if I remain on my current firmware etc, and choose not to upgrade, that my DJI Care Refresh is still valid?
2017-5-24
Use props
Andrezaslt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 412641 ft
Lithuania

Hello
Is there any new information about when the new update is coming?
And I have a question,  DJI Joe,  If I decide to stay on my current version of Firmware and DJI GO 4  App, to see if update is working stable and good for other users, can i update it in couple weeks or month?   Or its now or never?
2017-5-25
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did I miss the part about the "flying to different countries and no connection on new site" part?
Still trying to figure out what will happen if one updates and then travels to a new location outside of the registered account - what's the deal there? If you can't connect, the drone is crippled?

And regarding the update, I understand we don't have to update - but is this just a subtle time bomb to get everyone to chill for the time being? Previous DJI Go was forcing you to update with a message from within the App - and until updated, you could not use it anymore. In a few months, I could see the exact same thing happening and DJI completely forcing you to finally update (the firewall App will hopefully defeat this, unless they find a way around)
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

GSI_IRE Posted at 2017-5-24 23:25
Hi Joe,

Since I see you dont or cant respond to any of my other points, can you please confirm that if I remain on my current firmware etc, and choose not to upgrade, that my DJI Care Refresh is still valid?

I don't believe your Refresh is affected.
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Andrezaslt Posted at 2017-5-25 01:21
Hello
Is there any new information about when the new update is coming?
And I have a question,  DJI Joe,  If I decide to stay on my current version of Firmware and DJI GO 4  App, to see if update is working stable and good for other users, can i update it in couple weeks or month?   Or its now or never?

You should have the ability to update it to the new one later.
2017-5-25
Use props
Peezie
New
Flight distance : 49908 ft
United States

I really hope all goes well with this since I have the Mavic just where I like it now and hope that the demons don't screw something up.
2017-5-25
Use props
rought
lvl.1
United States

I see nothing good for the Drone owner out of this..soon we will see hacked version of firmware ..DJI go app ext.. DJI arrogant attitude on customer relations will not help them when the  competition catches up..
DJI is a company not a government.. I think they are delusional..
2017-5-25
Use props
Gilur
lvl.1
Flight distance : 136716 ft
Israel

PacoSaiso, I read how you repeatedly stand up to protect DJI..
Man, If two people say your drunk .. you probably are ! and in this case, if the majority of this forum thinks this way - try to give us some credit and try to see the other side:

1. No new flight restrictions?
  a, why should there be any? If I fly today, WITH the existing restrictions and I crash my drone into the middle of a highway, causing a huge accident, will DJI take responsibility? (they actually did let me fly there so .. is probably was OK to fly there... because where I shouldn't fly - I can't .. )
  b. today THERE ARE RESTRICTIONS!. Not warning or bla bla . R-E-S-T-R-I-C-T-I-O-N-S ! I leave need an airforce base. In half of my city, I cannot fly my drone. DJI Doesn't warn me.. it STOPS my drone. you push the stick forward and the drone doesn't move (of slides to the side very slowly)
  c. If the main issue is NEW.. that is - no NEW restrictions - then why there should be a NEW software?

2. I don't have to update:
    Yes, right. but from now on - I will get no updates, or I will be forced to accept this one. actually what that means is: no more new features or bug fixing for us.

3. As for privacy: I don't think that anyone has the right to collect my data. any of it. especially when I don't know what he uses that for, how he protects it and who may see or get it.

To be honest, as much as I like the mavic - I think it will  be my last DJI
2017-5-25
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Gilur Posted at 2017-5-25 12:41
PacoSaiso, I read how you repeatedly stand up to protect DJI..
Man, If two people say your drunk .. you probably are ! and in this case, if the majority of this forum thinks this way - try to give us some credit and try to see the other side:

You raise a good point Gilur. In Europe, we have new GDPR legislation. Part of that legislation is the 'Right to erasure', more commonly known as the Right to be forgotten  I have a right as an EU citizen to write to DJI and tell them I want them to delete all of my personal data. That can't affect the functionality of an item I purchased outright. It simply means I refuse for them to gather data on me for any purpose.

Activity outside the EU can be subject to to the same law if there is a local subsidiary that benefits from that activity (which there is).
DJI GmbH - Europe
Unit 1,
60327 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Wonder what would happen if all the European customers used this legislation to erase themselves from the DJI database. All hell would break loose.

Food for thought...
2017-5-25
Use props
Ramnes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1434 ft
Norway

How can I tell if this job/upgrade is done? I´ve been turning my P3P and the controller, iPad, phone on for several days without any messages on screen when starting DJO GO app.
2017-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules