DJI Updates Process For Activating Software And Firmware Updates
60117 573 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Yeah this whitepaper, Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr2kdp8ukvx/DJI%20Remote%20Identification%20Whitepaper%203-22-17.pdf?dl=0

Just read it.

Seems clear what the new "updates" are all about

DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time
using the same radio that is already in the Mavic

No wonder it comes with the caveat that if you don't login, re-register, etc that you can only fly 98feet high, 150 feet away.... and no live feed.

It all coming together and making sense now...

In the same whitepaper, DJI said no new hardware would be needed, only firmware changes since its using the same radio link
and that it was anticipated readiness for this summer!
2017-5-21
Use props
Phill2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 354544 ft
Australia

Can someone put this into plain English pls.
2017-5-21
Use props
Phill2
lvl.2
Australia

I don't update and run in airplane mode so what will happen in my case?
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Phill2 Posted at 2017-5-21 21:12

You will only be able to fly 98 feet high, 150 feet distance ran;ge, and no livefeed, and speed reduced to tripod
2017-5-21
Use props
Theo_H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168894 ft
Norway

Question. So, say, next week,  if I have ( successfully) updated and registered again. Do I from then onward  need internet connection for  every flight? So what if you want to fly in a remote (no cellphone coverage) area? Or don`t want to spend a fortune on roaming charges when abroad.  Is it then restricted to the 50\30 meters?
2017-5-21
Use props
Mavrick
lvl.2
Jamaica

I am very suspicious of this move. It seems very odd to me that DJI has not come out and clarified their very vague letter.
It seems to me that they have something much bigger planned so they are not putting any promises in writing that may come back to bite them in a lawsuit.
I have about $2000 invested in the Mavic, including goggles that will be here on Tuesday.  I did not pay this kind of money to have a company remove features that where put  there in the first place to get my money.
If this is some kind of bait and switch maneuver by DJI they will be feeling a lot of pain on social media and lose all credibility for future product sales.  Let the police and other services handle people who break the laws with drones.  It is not DJI responsibility to become the Drone Police.
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Theo_H Posted at 2017-5-21 21:19
Question. So, say, next week,  if I have ( successfully) updated and registered again. Do I from then onward  need internet connection for  every flight? So what if you want to fly in a remote (no cellphone coverage) area? Or don`t want to spend a fortune on roaming charges when abroad.  Is it then restricted to the 50\30 meters?

Your drone will also be broadcasting via its radio link so that law enforcement can track and identify you in real time

see

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr ... %203-22-17.pdf?dl=0
2017-5-21
Use props
Wieg1
lvl.2

Italy

Be careful DJI,
If I buy a Ferrari that can do 300 kmh it is my responsability not to exceed the limits imposed by the law of the country where I use it, no one would buy a Ferrari that at most reaches 120kmh.
Your customers have purchased your products with certain features, you and no one else can modify these features after purchase!
If you do, you have to accept the sold products back and fully refund.
You can change the features of the products you will sell, not those of the products you have sold.

2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Wieg1 Posted at 2017-5-21 21:46
Be careful DJI
If I buy a Ferrari that can do 300 kmh it is my responsibility not to exceed the limits imposed by the law of the country where the use, no one would buy a Ferrari that at most reaches 120kmh.
Your customers have purchased your products with certain features, you and no one else can modify these features after purchase!

Amen brother, last I checked we didn't communist yet
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Wieg1 Posted at 2017-5-21 21:46
Be careful DJI,
If I buy a Ferrari that can do 300 kmh it is my responsability not to exceed the limits imposed by the law of the country where I use it, no one would buy a Ferrari that at most reaches 120kmh.

So for a legal aspect, you would not be able to make the case of a full refund, but I could see how one could make the legal case for a partial pro-rated refund adjusted for depreciation and inflation.
2017-5-21
Use props
Phill2
lvl.2
Australia

adiru Posted at 2017-5-21 21:17
You will only be able to fly 98 feet high, 150 feet distance ran;ge, and no livefeed, and speed reduced to tripod

If I'm not connected to the net how does it know?
2017-5-21
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

But that is the rub right?

What happens if we choose not to update the firmware?

What if we travel to another country? Are we bound by the limits that will be set during these new registration?

So many questions, so much silence from DJI
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Phill2 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:01

The new firmware will DEFAULT to capping it to 98 feet max alt, 150 feet max range, etc etc UNTIL you re-activation and re-login and it gets to determine your true location BASED not only on your GPS but also on your PROFILE information (likely ip address, credit card info on file, etc)

It isn't a matter of it not knowing, it will default bricked/gimped/handicapped until it gets PERMISSION based upon its activation, and knowing what country and where you are in GEO and the such.

2017-5-21
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

LITCHI just had a huge update Sunday / Monday (22nd of May) the same time frame as DJI's huge update.  

People on YouTube are  reviewing it, however, there are NO restrictive measure than before on the LITCHI.  What are the odds of both of these companies having massive updates the same week, eh?
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

morpheus2480 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:06
But that is the rub right?

What happens if we choose not to update the firmware?

DJI's top legal dude stated that update is not mandatory.

https://i.imgur.com/hcA2Hl3.png

However since folks have reported already getting info on their DJI Go app that contradicted this statement and those who rejected the upgrade were subjected to the 50 feet cap etc... it would appear what this lawyer really meant was that DJI could not legally compel any customer to force them to go through the physical act and process of doing a firmware upgrade, however with the caveat that anyone who did not elect to upgrade will be left with a Mavic that can only fly 98 feet high, 164 feet in range, without any Live feed.

Essentially upgrade or else DJI turns you mavic into expensive paperweight.

But as for WHY they want to deep throat this on everyone? I believe I discovered why:

2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Bond006 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:12
LITCHI just had a huge update Sunday / Monday (22nd of May) the same time frame as DJI's huge update.  

People on YouTube are  reviewing it, however, there are NO restrictive measure than before on the LITCHI.  What are the odds of both of these companies having massive updates the same week, eh?

So Litchi depends on DJI's SDK. I'm just speculating but recall for the past few firmware upgrades down Litchi intelligent modes have not been functional because Litchi stated that "bugs" in DJI's recent firmware was the root cause.

DJI is in a position to strongarm Litchi a bit if it wanted to, if DJI isn't motivated to fix the bugs, Litchi goes out of business. Plus DJI could in theory cut off Litchi's SDK access which is its bloodline and bread and butter.

Suffice it to say, it COULD be a coincidence, but we shall see.
2017-5-21
Use props
Phill2
lvl.2
Australia

adiru Posted at 2017-5-21 22:07
The new firmware will DEFAULT to capping it to 98 feet max alt, 150 feet max range, etc etc UNTIL you re-activation and re-login and it gets to determine your true location BASED not only on your GPS but also on your PROFILE information (likely ip address, credit card info on file, etc)

It isn't a matter of it not knowing, it will default bricked/gimped/handicapped until it gets PERMISSION based upon its activation, and knowing what country and where you are in GEO and the such.

But I won't be updating the firmware nor will I be told to if not connected to the net
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Phill2 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:18
But I won't be updating the firmware nor will I be told to if not connected to the net

The old firmware versions have an expiration date hard coded into them. This is different than the DJI Go app nagging you to update the firmware. Consider that the soft grace period, but the hardcoded expiration date on the firmware, once reached, will not only require you to reactivate the Mavic with DJI servers, but also update to latest firmware, at which time, will also require you to use latest DJI app. As we all know, Mavic does not fly without GPS mode, sure it might take off in ATTI mode, but you can't really do anything with the Mavic until GPS kicks in. GPS-TIME is extremely accurate, just like sync with an atomic clock, so Mavic will always know the true date/time upon powerup. The old firmware versions have a trigger that if it detects it is too old, it will refuse to fly at all until you are then requested to upgrade. The newer version firms will not let you downgrade back to an older version.I used to think like you, if I just keep Mavic offline then I should be fine. No, DJI already thought of that.
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-5-21 22:26
No, you won't. I never connect either my aircraft or my iPad Air 2 to the net. EVER! You don't need to have the most up-to-date firmware or app, older versions run just fine.

And even if you go through this procedure they are asking you to perform, DJI still end up with no more information about you than they already have.

Actually this time around they take a picture of your face to keep on record now. Just in case I guess. ID verification.
2017-5-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Phill2 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:18

No, you won't. I never connect either my aircraft or my iPad Air 2 to the net. EVER! You don't need to have the most up-to-date firmware or app, older versions run just fine.

And even if you go through this procedure they are asking you to perform, DJI still end up with no more information about you than they already have.
2017-5-21
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Well now....
IMG_1637.PNG
IMG_1636.PNG
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

I saved these screenshots for posterity from DJI support to have a good laugh because that was definitely not the reason.....

THis is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr ... %203-22-17.pdf?dl=0
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Anyone else find it strange Mavic Pilot and Phantom Pilot forums are both completely down?
2017-5-21
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

What about this info?

http://www.mavic-guide.co.uk/end-world-dji-flyers-no-not-really/
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

morpheus2480 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:50
What about this info?

http://www.mavic-guide.co.uk/end-world-dji-flyers-no-not-really/

Fake news, guy says he's under "NDR" from DJI, first off its NDA not NDR. Secondly, DJI doesn't use public beta testers and put them under "NDR" for their upcoming firmware versions, especially if it is as simple and minor as he would like to suggest us to believe.

I could point you to dozens of folks who have experienced absolute nightmares with this new update expect for the fact that as of now, BOTH Mavic Pilot forum AND Phantom Pilot forum are all HARD DOWN.

I'm not saying it was aliens... but....
2017-5-21
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

just received a generic email from DJI (i assume we all will) part of that that is interesting tidbit is:

<<DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.>>

and
<<If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.>>

<<DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.>>

I am not going to update mine yet until other users describe what happens.  I shall see if this is a pack of lies from DJI or the truth.

2017-5-21
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

If this works you should see my own conversation with "Mike."

2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Bond006 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:54
just received a generic email from DJI (i assume we all will) part of that that is interesting tidbit is:

If this activation process is not performed,....Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

So just to be clear, we are talking about a re-activation process. Even those already activated will have to activate again,, both the aircraft now AND the app.

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process .....This new step, will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile.

So not only will DJI store your GPS info, but also your "user profile", including name, credit card on file, address, ip address, etc etc....

DJI lawyer said "you don't have to upgrade", but what he left out was if you don't, your Mavic will be essentially paperweight.

2017-5-21
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

adiru Posted at 2017-5-21 22:44
Anyone else find it strange Mavic Pilot and Phantom Pilot forums are both completely down?

Yes, I do.  They went down just after I finished my chat with "Mike" and advised the internet was in meltdown over this.  I tried to post the screenshots I just did but the forum crashed.  Let's see if they stay up here.
2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-5-21 23:03
Yes, I do.  They went down just after I finished my chat with "Mike" and advised the internet was in meltdown over this.  I tried to post the screenshots I just did but the forum crashed.  Let's see if they stay up here.

And also stranger that both Litchi and DJI are doing a massive update on the same day/weekend. Almost seems too coordinated just to be mere coincidence.

I've been on Mavic Pilot forums for ages and never seen them hard down , and never for this long.

Hmmmmmm

And then we find out this :

2017-5-21
Use props
Time2Party
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

Phill2 Posted at 2017-5-21 21:12

Nothing will happen because you don’t have a data connections or Wi-Fi, you can just use your drone like before and you will get no message for update.
If you got data  or Wi-Fi on in the past week then maybe it’s too late.
2017-5-21
Use props
Time2Party
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169314 ft
Belgium

Phill2 Posted at 2017-5-21 22:01

If you got no data  or Wi-Fi on in the past weeks then they don’t know and nothing will happen.
2017-5-21
Use props
Wieg1
lvl.2

Italy

For knowledge of this forum, I sent this letter to DJI

Dear DJI
Thank you for your communication and gladly welcome any of your updates aimed at improving the flight characteristics and performance of the Inspire 1v2 that I have purchased.

I however warning you not to insert any limitation on the features and performances of the item I have purchased and which imply a limitation in any sense of its features at the moment of purchase, including those that might violate local or international regulations.

These limitations can not be included, without customer consense, in products that have already been purchased and no longer of your own.

It is the absolute responsibility of the user to comply with such regulations and such limitations can not be included which also imply the acquisition of confidential and personal data in objects no longer of your own.

Best regards.

I hope to have an answer........

2017-5-21
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Wieg1 Posted at 2017-5-21 23:29
For knowledge of this forum, I sent this letter to DJI

Dear DJI

You will be hoping in vain.

DJI Assistant won't even let me flash back to my factory firmware of .200
I contacted DJI "support" they told me "re-download the Assistant, make sure sure your computer is up to date

What a joke. And it was that "Mike" guy too
2017-5-21
Use props
Cedric Pieterse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1225827 ft
Sweden

I think DJI has to SERIOUSLY consider pushing through this update.
If they carry on with this BS, I will NOT be looking at buying another DJI product. There are som opposition drones that are getting as good as the DJI drones, and that would be where I would look to buy my next drone.
I do not condone irresponsible use of drones, but this should be a matter for the authorities to take care of.
If DJI wants to gather information from my drone, or police my flying, they need to pay me for every flight i do.
Good bye DJI. and good luck with future sales.
2017-5-21
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like this is going to be implemented this week regardless of  the community  
2017-5-21
Use props
MatthiasFromman
New
Flight distance : 24104 ft
Germany

Read this... http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2017-5-21
Use props
Brocks
lvl.1
Australia

I'm sorry, but can someone please tell me if my Mavic is fuc*ed.

Will my Mavic be restricted after the update, my first thought was that would be limited after the update. But the DJI site still says that the Mavic has a 7km range.

What is the bottom line of the update?
2017-5-22
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Thats the million dollar question. What is the bottomline.
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Brocks Posted at 2017-5-22 00:06
I'm sorry, but can someone please tell me if my Mavic is fuc*ed.

Will my Mavic be restricted after the update, my first thought was that would be limited after the update. But the DJI site still says that the Mavic has a 7km range.

Bottom line is they flipped the script/narrative.

It used to be that Mavic flys until it knows it hits a NFZ.

Now it assumes it is in an NFZ until proven otherwise.

So it used to be you could fly Mavic indoors in poor or no GPS signals.

Now, to deter possibility of anyone masking GPS to trick Mavic to takeoff in an NFZ, the new firmware makes Mavic DEFAULT to assume it IS in a NFZ until GPS proves otherwise.

Which means if you try fly indoor with weak GPS signal, it won't takeoff because it assumes it is in NFZ.

This also means if you take your Mavic to a new country when it boots up and realizes via GPS it isn't in the nation that you (re) activated your drone, it will not fly. or will need you to reactivate in that new country again etc

And if you choose not to upgrade, you are kept to 98 max height, 150ft max range, and live feed is DISABLED.

it used to be Mavic force autoland at 10% remaining bat, essentially 90% of a full charge is at most "usable"
Now in the new firmware they set that to 16%. meaning only 84% of a full battery is actually "usable"

They still advertiste the Mavic to have a full 27 minute flight time.

Go figure.

2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules