Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GoodmanRP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4344974 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Hello!
Do you know exactly what updates will be limited?
What's the connection with this?
Update or not! ??
2017-5-22
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

Cedric Pieterse Posted at 2017-5-21 23:49
I think DJI has to SERIOUSLY consider pushing through this update.
If they carry on with this BS, I will NOT be looking at buying another DJI product. There are som opposition drones that are getting as good as the DJI drones, and that would be where I would look to buy my next drone.
I do not condone irresponsible use of drones, but this should be a matter for the authorities to take care of.

Cedric, I'm also looking at leaving DJI if they start controlling drones the way it is outlined for future apps/FW updates. Do you mind to share what competition drones you think are the best replacement of DJI? Thanks
2017-5-22
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Can someone from DJI please comment already? Can't you see the concern this is giving to your community? Geeeeezzzz....
2017-5-22
Use props
fans2150f29f
New
Flight distance : 446 ft
Singapore

NO!  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  This is a ridiculous and unwarranted interference with user functionality that is not acceptable. Revoke this absurd policy before you alienate all your customers and generate massive lawsuits.
2017-5-22
Use props
fans2150f29f
New
Singapore

fans6916e6f9 Posted at 2017-5-20 11:05
I have been in contact with DJI and I have been informed that the update and the new registration process will NOT limit your flying in any way.

You will only be limited if you don't go through the registration.  Once you register NO NEW limitations will be placed on your flying.  So this is truly a NON event.

Nonsense.  Why should I be *forced* to register to use my property?  There is NO way this is going to happen.  Let's see if this comment gets deleted as well.  The lawsuits will come flying, I predict.
2017-5-22
Use props
fans2150f29f
New
Singapore

E-Copter Posted at 2017-5-20 16:15
Good afernoon,

some customers contated me regarding this anouncment as i sell DJI stuff, and i would like to share a few infos and the fact that many of you are misunderstanding the GEO feature as i had to tell my own customers getting nuts from what they did read on various forums / social netowrks.

If they want to sell new drones with those restrictions, then caveat emptor.  Changing the rules after purchase is *fraud* and there will be lawsuits if this goes through, I predict.  I also suspect that when I mention 'lawsuit" my post is deleted.  There is no way that the NFZ will be correctly updated - I have enough trouble updating the firmware as it is.  So I guess there will be no more updated for me, and over to Litchi it is.
2017-5-22
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.2

United States

Something else is clearly going on here. Expect future restrictions
2017-5-22
Use props
ARMONI319
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

Hello all,
I have flown my Phantoms and all my RC aircraft in a very responsible way according to the regulations. I simply don't like the way DJI is manipulating things. Definitely I will not update anything. My Phantoms are mine. They are not rented. I payed a good amount of money for them. To obey local regulations is my responsibility. I was planning to buy a P4 Pro or Mavic. Not anymore. I don't want to be forced or manipulated in any way. Much less in a Hobby.  Bye Bye DJI.
2017-5-22
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

adiru Posted at 2017-5-21 22:21
The old firmware versions have an expiration date hard coded into them. This is different than the DJI Go app nagging you to update the firmware. Consider that the soft grace period, but the hardcoded expiration date on the firmware, once reached, will not only require you to reactivate the Mavic with DJI servers, but also update to latest firmware, at which time, will also require you to use latest DJI app. As we all know, Mavic does not fly without GPS mode, sure it might take off in ATTI mode, but you can't really do anything with the Mavic until GPS kicks in. GPS-TIME is extremely accurate, just like sync with an atomic clock, so Mavic will always know the true date/time upon powerup. The old firmware versions have a trigger that if it detects it is too old, it will refuse to fly at all until you are then requested to upgrade. The newer version firms will not let you downgrade back to an older version.I used to think like you, if I just keep Mavic offline then I should be fine. No, DJI already thought of that.

I call BS on this. Where is it written that the old FW has an expiry? Please explain and provide provenance.
2017-5-22
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

I think the likelihood of the threat of governments to ban drones spooked DJI into being proactive to try and do whatever they can to keep their business going.
2017-5-22
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3340 ft
France

French owners have raised a petition against this update procedure.
You can find it here :
https://www.change.org/p/dji-con ... aign=share_petition

Please sign it.
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

morpheus2480 Posted at 2017-5-22 05:56
I think the likelihood of the threat of governments to ban drones spooked DJI into being proactive to try and do whatever they can to keep their business going.

You guys DJI white paper says it all, they want your Mavic broadcasting serial # via radio transmission at all times when powered on, and governments full access to DJI internal registration list which includes owner information and DJI user account association.
2017-5-22
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

What happens if you don't register and not do any more updates?
2017-5-22
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Man I can't believe I read every comment in this thread.  And I agree with the crowd. Don't touch my drone. It works perfectly. Every time I updated I've had problems.
2017-5-22
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansf5f0f0fc Posted at 2017-5-22 06:11
French owners have raised a petition against this update procedure.
You can find it here :
https://www.change.org/p/dji-contre-la-nouvelle-maj-de-dji?recruiter=723748850&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Signed.

Probably will not matter much tho...
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

chalde Posted at 2017-5-22 06:51
Signed.

Probably will not matter much tho...

Not directly but raising public and consumer awareness and pushing back is never a bad thing
2017-5-22
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Brendan Schulman tweets.
IMG_1681.PNG
IMG_1682.PNG
IMG_1683.PNG
2017-5-22
Use props
Smokey22
lvl.4
Flight distance : 567434 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like it's going to affect third party apps like Litchi as well:

Dear developer,

In July, DJI aircraft firmware will require mobile applications that control DJI aircraft to be activated with the user’s DJI account, if that application is being used in China. This will ensure operators use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for their aircraft, as determined by their geographical location and user profile.

A summary of the activation system is:
On July 1, this feature will go live on all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware
Users in China will be required to activate their application by logging into their DJI account at least once every three months within the application
Activation will be persistent in the application until the user logs out
A data connection will be required to log into a DJI account
Outside of China, the SDK will automatically activate the application without requiring the user to log in
If an application is not activated, or a legacy version of the SDK is being used, all camera live streams will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a cylinder of 100m diameter and 30m height to ensure the aircraft stays within line of sight.

This week, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will be released that will include APIs to support this system. Applications should update to v4.1 as soon as they can to support the activation system natively. For applications that are not upgraded to v4.1 or activated by the user, full aircraft functionality can still be achieved by first connecting any other upgraded/activated application on each power cycle of the aircraft. For example, DJI Go could be initially connected to the aircraft, then the user could switch to the SDK based application.

In addition, v4.1 of the Mobile SDK will include support for M200, Phantom 4 Advanced, and Individual Unlock Fly Zones. Please see the release notes for more details on the updates to the Mobile SDK.

As always, the DJI Dev Team is committed to improving your developer experience. Please report any bugs or questions you have to dev@dji.com. We recommend that you frequently check the DJI SDK downloads page to ensure that you are always working with the latest version of the DJI SDK.

Regards,

The DJI Dev Team

Tbh I don't mind restricting my drone to a certain height or distance if it's following a law in that country.  I don't mind not reading the laws before I visit some country in future, trusting that DJI took care of this.
If they restrict the maximum height to 120 m in Germany it's fine because I'll automatically follow the law in that country. If they don't let me fly near an airport - fine, that is now on me to check and discover.
With that feature it will be on DJI then.

Cheers!
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

He answer in a very lawyer way.

Read between lines folks this not bode well

Future updates will nanny you to death if you consent down this path
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Smokey22 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:03

Dear developer,

So basically this is a tight leash on Litchi, and Litchi will soon be locked down to.

And this proves it will require persistent re activations as opposed to the false claim of a one time thing
2017-5-22
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Guys honestly, this is the natural progression of people flying drones without regard to regulations.  It's why I reply harshly to people posting videos of themselves breaking drone regulations.  This is merely step 1 in the process to monitor all drones in real time.
2017-5-22
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Smokey22 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:03

Dear developer,

This doesn't sound like the trivial change Brendan suggests.
2017-5-22
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So many negative comments! All I got to say is "Thx" DJI.
We are human, humans hate rules, we want freedom.. Since regulation is necessary, and the hobby is already in peril, I can only think that adding things to guard from stupidity (and we all have our lapses of judgement sometimes) is a good thing. Let's just hope the process works well, but if it does, it's a good thing overall.... The world today is learning that responsibility is always on someone else - well, if it is, than someone else has to take steps to protect you and those around you.
Let's hope this prevents idiots who fly around airports, fires, and so on, and perhaps the hobby will remain as is, or get better.
Fly safe!
DjiEmail01.JPG
2017-5-22
Use props
Sinamics
lvl.1
Flight distance : 837851 ft
Norway

Wonder when DJI software will be hacked.
#Anonymous
2017-5-22
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems like DJI is making people around the world fearful, by giving us vague and unspecific information. They could easily put out a full and clear description of what they are doing here, and I suggest they should do that as soon as possible. There may be good reasons for whatever DJI is doing, but they need to tell us ASAP because the Company is hurting users' PERCEPTIONS of DJI right now. There is a trust issue... we all want to trust that DJI cares about us, the buyers/users and is not going to do things that might harm our ability to fly and function as we are accustomed. This week of waiting for a clear answer makes us feel like DJI is planning things that will harm us, the owners of DJI products. This is probably not true, but they have created this perception by not being totally open with important information about their plans for our futures. By being silent in this forum thread, as the world expresses it's worries and asks for answers, DJI is creating a poor image of itself in the minds of users. Hopefully, they will clear this up soon, by clarifying what is going on.
2017-5-22
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

^AMEN
2017-5-22
Use props
Officewallah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34869 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-22 07:30
So many negative comments! All I got to say is "Thx" DJI.
We are human, humans hate rules, we want freedom.. Since regulation is necessary, and the hobby is already in peril, I can only think that adding things to guard from stupidity (and we all have our lapses of judgement sometimes) is a good thing. Let's just hope the process works well, but if it does, it's a good thing overall.... The world today is learning that responsibility is always on someone else - well, if it is, than someone else has to take steps to protect you and those around you.
Let's hope this prevents idiots who fly around airports, fires, and so on, and perhaps the hobby will remain as is, or get better.

Seriously, that is not the premise I bought my MP under! That is the main issue here, not compliance. If I knew that a bunch of restrictions where being enforced at the time I made my purchase, I would have had a choice and made an informed decision. That choice is now being made for me.
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Officewallah Posted at 2017-5-22 07:52
Seriously, that is not the premise I bought my MP under! That is the main issue here, not compliance. If I knew that a bunch of restrictions where being enforced at the time I made my purchase, I would have had a choice and made an informed decision. That choice is now being made for me.

Dji either needs to offer grandfathering or refunds
2017-5-22
Use props
morpheus2480
lvl.1
Singapore

Gizmodo article

"This is actually a really responsible move on DJI’s part. By impelling customers to log in to their DJI accounts and activate the latest firmware for their drones, the company will be able to sync up each device with the specific regulations of the country where it’s being operated. (Note: Customers in China, where DJI is headquartered, won’t be required to go through this new activation process.)"

http://gizmodo.com/dji-will-cripple-your-drone-if-you-dont-register-it-on-1795427600
2017-5-22
Use props
STELIOS1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1079 ft
Greece

Please, help to understand... The talk is about the new Firmware in picture that follows!

New DJI Mavic Firmware Upgrade.jpg
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

STELIOS1 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:04
Please, help to understand... The talk is about the new Firmware in picture that follows!

400 is gone?
2017-5-22
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Big brother is here to stay.  What happens if you don't after to the new term and don't do anymore updates?
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:27
Big brother is here to stay.  What happens if you don't after to the new term and don't do anymore updates?

What Dji giveth Dji taketh away
2017-5-22
Use props
ErikF
lvl.1
France

Hi,

simple question, once the update is done, is it possible to take off from an area without any data connexion ?

Thank you
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

ErikF Posted at 2017-5-22 08:33
Hi,

simple question, once the update is done, is it possible to take off from an area without any data connexion ?

Not if encounter GEO or NFZ or weak GPS
2017-5-22
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

Will make my Mavic useless if I plan to be out of cell range for a week while camping or what not.  The first time I can't fly do to a lack of an internet connection will be the day I put the Mavic, P4 and P4P on eBay.  My Typhoon doesn't have these issues.  
2017-5-22
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-5-22 05:16
Cedric, I'm also looking at leaving DJI if they start controlling drones the way it is outlined for future apps/FW updates. Do you mind to share what competition drones you think are the best replacement of DJI? Thanks

Typhoon H from Yuneec
2017-5-22
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Gosh people.. what is the worry? If u fly in legal area there will be no change! If u r flying in a no fly zone, with no authorization, you should not fly there.. what is the big hoopla?
No it will not affect Litchi! Litchi is an app written on API provided by DJI, DJI is NOT taking that away!
The drone will NOT FLY in no fly zone. If you have no internet u r done; if you have clearance to fly there,  you will need internet so that system can check that you are authorized! This applies only to yellow zones. For a red zone authorization there's a special process to unlock it.
This is all being totally blown out of proportion! People make it sound like the drones will simply not fly anymore!

I think the only valid question is "will I still be able to fly above 400 ft" - this is necessary if you are flying over terrain that is going up as in relation to the take off point - I have flown 1000 ft up from take off point, without ever being more than 400ft above ground level. I do not see DJI taking that away...
Let's not scream and moan without understanding what's happening... so far DJI did pretty well hitting the balance between protecting the pilots, but making the drones fly well and with as little restrictions as possible.. let's just hope they do well in this change too.
So many just assume the worse! IF you are that desperate, put some tin foil over your ps and fly atti only! No, DJI is not becoming useless and there's no need to get refunds!
Seriously pple!
2017-5-22
Use props
Chewbacca
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Theres a lot of over-reation here, lets think about safety - you only have to read these forums to see that people fly their drones in an unsafe manner, too near to public areas and structures - look at Casey Neistat, as an example-  flys his drone all over NY city then looses a mavic? Its only a matter of time until one of these drones causes a major air disaster and the scope for terrorists using them is massive. Don't get me wrong - I own a P4P and don't want to be over controlled as much as the next guy but your all dreaming if you think the laws aren't gonna tighten up considerably and this is the first steps - IMO. As always its the few that spoil it for the many and this is the fallout from that.
2017-5-22
Use props
fanse9cc569c
lvl.1
United Kingdom

lol   just listen to yourselfs lol  and none of you know nothing about what the new update will bring
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules