Can't take off no fly zone, how do I unlock?
123Next >
151135 90 2017-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Cyclone2390
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84065 ft
Australia

fans284b05c6 Posted at 2018-2-4 16:17
We should start a class A lawsuit against DJI. I'll talk to my attorney

This is the best news I have read on this forum.  Someone needs to stop this Police State mentality that DJI are inflicting on unsuspecting purchasers.  We bought these drones in good faith, yet after purchase, without consultation with us (legal owners), DJI have decided to alter our right to operate said drone against the original conditions of purchase.  This must surely violate consumer laws and our rights as consumers.  If not, then we are at the mercy of all manufacturers and vendors.  Imagine your car not starting when you are ready to go to work, because Ford etc decided to GEO Fence you away from the park next door.  Example only, but it could happen if this technology is left unchecked.  What if your vehicle is an Ambulance, and you need to apply 72 hours in advance to attend casualties at the nearby airport?  Well that would be just wonderful.
2018-2-28
Use props
Milosbgd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67142 ft
Serbia

Dav 0 Posted at 2017-5-20 10:05
Am I the only person the works for? I have a quick chat with ATC tower, turn off geo system and the I literally take off right next to an airstrip.

Dav 0 please,
I live in the area with some Football court and because of these I cant take of with Spark. If I turn of this GeoSystem shoud Il be able to take off ?
2018-3-28
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 150932 ft
United States

Or you could just go to cop - ter - safe -  dot com.
If I actually write it out the Forum flags it as inapprriate content.
2018-3-28
Use props
Dig David
lvl.1
Flight distance : 545 ft
United States

It’s a yellow zone that I’ve unlocked on Drummond Island ZIP Codes 49726 very sparse population
2018-4-21
Use props
fansfb4994f8
New

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-19 21:42
After you verify your account you can unlock the yellow zone. It's the red zones that only DJI can unlock for you after you have all the permissions.

Hi DJI-Ken, you indicated that DJI can unlock a red zone as long as proper permission is obtained. Just recently, DJI created a red zone over neighborhoods where I used to be able to fly freely for making real estate property videos. I checked the FAA's restricted flight zone for the area, and it in no way matches what DJI has restricted (we're talking over a mile of difference.) How do I get around this? Who should I talk to in order to find a timely solution to unlock flight in a red zone?
2018-5-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

fansfb4994f8 Posted at 2018-5-2 12:53
Hi DJI-Ken, you indicated that DJI can unlock a red zone as long as proper permission is obtained. Just recently, DJI created a red zone over neighborhoods where I used to be able to fly freely for making real estate property videos. I checked the FAA's restricted flight zone for the area, and it in no way matches what DJI has restricted (we're talking over a mile of difference.) How do I get around this? Who should I talk to in order to find a timely solution to unlock flight in a red zone?

That was probably one of DJI Kens last posts, he no longer works at DJI.

Have a look Here for guidance on unlocking zones.
2018-5-2
Use props
djiuser_Kc38bdU3XEoF
New
United States

Help. I just got my drone this weekend and it it won’t let me take off. I can only fly in atti mode but indoors. It says I am in a restricted area. There is a hospital a mile away.  Could this be the reason. Please help  thanks.
2018-7-1
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

Towlie Posted at 2017-11-20 07:10
I'm buying a new house which is located within 5 miles of Denver International Airport although it's near the edge of that boundary.  All I wanted to do was to take my drone no more than 50 feet in the air to inspect the roof but DJI's baby sitting service made my drone no more than a brick.  Meanwhile there are huge flocks of geese flying at around 400 feet above me in the air.  This isn't right what DJI is doing to its customers.  There needs to be some sort of recourse we should be able to take against this company.  They continually cripple the product we bought and we don't have any say in it.

This is why I'm reluctant to 'upgrade' any firmware or software.
2018-7-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

djiuser_Kc38bdU3XEoF Posted at 2018-7-1 10:52
Help. I just got my drone this weekend and it it won’t let me take off. I can only fly in atti mode but indoors. It says I am in a restricted area. There is a hospital a mile away.  Could this be the reason. Please help  thanks.

Click on the link and tell us about the zone you're in.  https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-7-1
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-1 11:23
This is why I'm reluctant to 'upgrade' any firmware or software.

Doesn't matter, unlike many others that got those restrictions sneaked in with updates, yours was born with them built-in from the start.
2018-7-1
Use props
snowyowl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6119 ft
United States

I have the exact same problem the airport is very close to me, but at my residence I am in the yellow zone unable to take off.
It keeps telling me I am in restricted airspace, I did do the verification via text sms message and still nothing.
2018-7-2
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-1 22:08
Doesn't matter, unlike many others that got those restrictions sneaked in with updates, yours was born with them built-in from the start.

I know, but I don't want them adding any more restrictions. It's like having a car that won't go on the highway because the highway goes past a VIP's house.

The other concern is undiscovered bugs, like things that can cause the motors to shut down in flight, etc.

Right now, the bird is flying well. Why break it if it ain't broke?
2018-7-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

snowyowl Posted at 2018-7-2 05:30
I have the exact same problem the airport is very close to me, but at my residence I am in the yellow zone unable to take off.
It keeps telling me I am in restricted airspace, I did do the verification via text sms message and still nothing.

My understanding with the yellow Authorization zone is that the closest half mile radius from the center of the zone is a hard DJI no-fly-zone.  This area is usually not outlined on the geo map, but it's about a half mile radius from the center of the DJI yellow zone - sort of like an invisible bullseye of the DJI yellow zone.  There is no unlocking of this area and no way to fly in this area without contacting flysafe@dji.com by email and making a special request which may or may not be approved.  The rest of the DJI yellow Authorization zone, which extends out from about a half-mile to a mile-and-a-half from the center of the zone can be unlocked and cleared to fly as described in the geo map page, but you will still have graduated height restrictions depending on the distance from the airport.  This is awkwardly explained in your manual.  Those graduated height restrictions can also possibly be unlocked by emailing flysafe@dji.com.  

None of the above has anything to do with the legality of your flight.

Edit:  Actually, the emailing flysafe thing is not the thing to do anymore and will only delay your request - it's best to fill out the online form as posted in post #55 below...
2018-7-2
Use props
Paul Suthard
lvl.3
Flight distance : 116634 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-5-19 21:42
After you verify your account you can unlock the yellow zone. It's the red zones that only DJI can unlock for you after you have all the permissions.

DJI-Ken, After I have permissions (waiver or authorization) to fly in the red zone, how do I inform DJI so the software will allow me to take off? Is it immediate or a waiting period?
2018-7-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock
2018-7-16
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Paul Suthard Posted at 2018-7-16 07:02
DJI-Ken, After I have permissions (waiver or authorization) to fly in the red zone, how do I inform DJI so the software will allow me to take off? Is it immediate or a waiting period?

Don't expect a reply from him, the profile was last online 2017-6-9 and now named Jasper1.
See the post from Mark above.
2018-7-17
Use props
Joe D.
lvl.2

I have received permission from the ATC tower and my State Rep to take photos of the Capital; Building in Jefferson City, MO. It is being totally renovated. On my first run I just knew the Geo system would not let me fly this close to the Capital Building. But everything went fine. Just had to click a couple "authorization" buttons and I was good to go. I was surprised.

2018-7-18
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36998 ft
United States

Does DJI still have this feature?  I am a licensed remote pilot.  I have enough paperwork to do and do now want the hassle of their software not working or causing issues for me.  I understand it is a safety thing, but for us licensed pilots it is nothing more than a huge nuisance.  DJI told me they do not restrict any flights when I spoke with them yesterday....after reading this, I think they lied to me?
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 02:14
Does DJI still have this feature?  I am a licensed remote pilot.  I have enough paperwork to do and do now want the hassle of their software not working or causing issues for me.  I understand it is a safety thing, but for us licensed pilots it is nothing more than a huge nuisance.  DJI told me they do not restrict any flights when I spoke with them yesterday....after reading this, I think they lied to me?

DJI started the idea of "No-Fly Zones" after the White House lawn Phantom 2 crash of January, 2015.  They've done nothing but expand it since then, and I'm sure it will continue to grow.   
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-24 02:20
DJI started the idea of "No-Fly Zones" after the White House lawn Phantom 2 crash of January, 2015.  They've done nothing but expand it since then, and I'm sure it will continue to grow.

I'm not a fan of this at all since I am a licensed remote pilot.  I really don't want to really on a third party telling me where I can and cannot fly.  I hear their system restricts flights in areas that aren't even classified.  I can see this leading into nothing but problems for me.  I get the FAA paperwork like I am supposed to do....they should allow you to upload a copy o your license or something to be able to completely disable this safety feature.
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

fans435576ad Posted at 2018-2-2 16:47
I have sent all of my information, and even more so, maps and screen shots to the DJI fly safe team and they have not issued me a unlock code to launch on the very edge of a red zone.  They have more than enough information plus a letter from the airport manager from the airport right next to a road course track that I’m supposed to film at tomorrow.  The FAA arcgis “visualize it” map shows that the airspace is not restricted.  Only DJI calls it restricted.  I have been at this all week long and they will not respond.

I have all of the proper and necessary documents and requirements to fly at this race track. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get my drone(s) to fly tomorrow and Sunday?  Drones: P4P, I2

This is the exact thing I DO NOT want to deal with.  I think I cancelling my order and going with another brand
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 02:59
This is the exact thing I DO NOT want to deal with.  I think I cancelling my order and going with another brand

Actually, what are the coordinates of the area you were going to fly?  I'd like to verify on my end that this area truly is a controlled airspace.
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

please send me your coordinates and I can take a quick look at it for you
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 03:48
please send me your coordinates and I can take a quick look at it for you

Do you realize you're trying to solve a problem for a guy who needed a solution last winter?  
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-24 03:59
Do you realize you're trying to solve a problem for a guy who needed a solution last winter?

No!! Thanks for clarifying!  I switched from Chrome to another browser and now I can actually see this forum properly.

Does DJI still implement this "no fly" feature?  Have you had issues with it?
It seems like another hoop to jump through.  
Can it be turned off if you submit your remote pilot license to them?
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 04:02
No!! Thanks for clarifying!  I switched from Chrome to another browser and now I can actually see this forum properly.

Does DJI still implement this "no fly" feature?  Have you had issues with it?

They no longer call it "no fly" but yes.  

Yes, I've bumped into the invisible wall of an "enhanced warning zone."  If I self-unlock, I can fly past the wall.  It's easier to self unlock before the flight.  

No it can't be turned off.  You have to go through the process which is either self-unlock or custom-unlock depending on the airspace.  The custom unlock may take several days or longer.  

There are a couple tricks you can use to solve immediate and urgent problems though.  

Good luck
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-24 04:09
They no longer call it "no fly" but yes.  

Yes, I've bumped into the invisible wall of an "enhanced warning zone."  If I self-unlock, I can fly past the wall.  It's easier to self unlock before the flight.  

Are you a licensed remote pilot?
Have you noticed if the "wall" is in legit airspace?  Is their "wall" accurate or does it cause issues?  How long does it take to unlock

Would you be willing to provide me specifics on how it works?  I was going to purchase a P4P V2, but I cancelled my order until I understand more about this "wonderful feature".  

I'm looking at the Geo Zone Map on the Go App.  I see yellow, green and red markers.  There is a green marker inside of a red marker...which makes no sense at all.  
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

I would also like to know what happens when I'm inspecting a tower that is over 400' tall.  Say we are in class G airspace.  Tower is 700' tall.  I legally can fly that high and above, but will the DJI app prevent me from flying that high?
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 04:49
I would also like to know what happens when I'm inspecting a tower that is over 400' tall.  Say we are in class G airspace.  Tower is 700' tall.  I legally can fly that high and above, but will the DJI app prevent me from flying that high?

Yes, you can legally fly up to 400' above the tower, as long as you are within a specified distance from the tower. No more than 400' above the highest structure.
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 2018-7-24 05:05
Yes, you can legally fly up to 400' above the tower, as long as you are within a specified distance from the tower. No more than 400' above the highest structure.

Thank you.  I know I can legally fly there....my question was will this "fly zone" thing block me from flying that high?
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 04:19
Have you noticed if the "wall" is in legit airspace?  Is their "wall" accurate or does it cause issues?  How long does it take to unlock

A:  No.  I feel I would be at a disadvantage flying 107 since I live in the DC SFRA and I would have to call the feds before every flight.  I am happy flying Part 101.  

Have you noticed if the "wall" is in legit airspace?  

A:  Your asking if the DJI zone matches the FAA airspace restriction.  The geo map is geared for hobby rules, not 107 rules.  In this case, a 101 pilot is required to notify the airport and the wall is at that point - five miles from the airport.  So yes, the two zones match in this case.  However, the airspace is Class G, so a 107 pilot normally wouldn't have to do anything (except in this case he'd have to call the feds as mentioned above).  Yet, he would still have to deal with DJI's self-unlock.  

Is their "wall" accurate or does it cause issues?  

A:  It's accurate.  It only causes issues if I forget to self unlock.   But there are plenty of places in the US where the geo map is not at all accurate because of oddly shaped controlled airspace areas.  Geo areas are always perfect circles which is an obvious problem.

How long does it take to unlock

A:  To self-unlock?  A minute or two.

Would you be willing to provide me specifics on how it works?  

A:  Sure.

I was going to purchase a P4P V2, but I cancelled my order until I understand more about this "wonderful feature".  

I'm looking at the Geo Zone Map on the Go App.  I see yellow, green and red markers.  There is a green marker inside of a red marker...which makes no sense at all.  

A:  You can self unlock within the green area.  You may not fly in the red area.  You can try to custom unlock, but you have to have all the necessary documentation sent to the unlocking site - which I believe is a third-party site.  It will take several day or more.  And your request may be denied.  

The yellow areas are a little more complicated.  My understanding is you cannot fly in the center of a yellow area even if you self unlock.  I believe it's a half mile radius which is restricted.  After that I believe it's a graduated height thing to the edge of the yellow zone.  This is awkwardly described in the manual which is online.  I've never tested this.  

2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-24 05:18

A:  No.  I feel I would be at a disadvantage flying 107 since I live in the DC SFRA and I would have to call the feds before every flight.  I am happy flying Part 101.  

Thanks.  How about the yellow areas?
I wish I would get email notifications when you guys reply back.....how do I turn that on?
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 05:20
Thanks.  How about the yellow areas?
I wish I would get email notifications when you guys reply back.....how do I turn that on?

See above...
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

This is beginning to sound like a royal PITA.  Ugh.  I did find this on their website, but it doesn't mention anything about graduated height from the center.  Is there a way to turn on email notifications for this forum?  I don't see options anywhere

Yellow Zone="Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account."
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

micron929rr Posted at 2018-7-24 05:30
This is beginning to sound like a royal PITA.  Ugh.  I did find this on their website, but it doesn't mention anything about graduated height from the center.  Is there a way to turn on email notifications for this forum?  I don't see options anywhere

Yellow Zone="Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account."

Look at your personal home page, left hand column.  
2018-7-24
Use props
micron929rr
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-24 05:35
Look at your personal home page, left hand column.

I did.  This box in un-checked: Unsubscribe from email notifications
2018-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Ok that might be a language problem.  My box is checked and I get notifications.  Haha
2018-7-24
Use props
TobyDogs
lvl.2
United States

Here i sit-in my living room reading all the complaints about DJI.....I just bought the Spark fly more combo package and also a ipad4mini  to link to the controller.  Trump is playing golf from 8/2 to 813 down in Bedminister New Jersey, 30+ miles south of my home and the NFZ is 2 Zones activated reaching my town which is a few miles south of  the NY state line. My rc clubs field located in Rockland county NY was removed from the NFZ . A 20 minute drive north of my home in NJ......My spark still say NFZ.   All I wanted to do is video a skit for VBS and it's not going to happen.  DJI...I am bummed your shutting me down at the club when the original NFZ was 3 zones and did include the NY club field.  If this is the future of DJI ownership, it'll be the last $549[ plus $49 for an extra battery] i spend on your products. I don't need big brother loooking over my shoulder to fly safely. Been RC'ing for 15+ years.  I need to build a 450 or 500 size quad and put a gimbal on it for the go pro.    OK, I posted this in another thread already...I will stop venting.  Sorry gang. Stu
2018-8-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

TobyDogs Posted at 2018-8-5 14:02
Here i sit-in my living room reading all the complaints about DJI.....I just bought the Spark fly more combo package and also a ipad4mini  to link to the controller.  Trump is playing golf from 8/2 to 813 down in Bedminister New Jersey, 30+ miles south of my home and the NFZ is 2 Zones activated reaching my town which is a few miles south of  the NY state line. My rc clubs field located in Rockland county NY was removed from the NFZ . A 20 minute drive north of my home in NJ......My spark still say NFZ.   All I wanted to do is video a skit for VBS and it's not going to happen.  DJI...I am bummed your shutting me down at the club when the original NFZ was 3 zones and did include the NY club field.  If this is the future of DJI ownership, it'll be the last $549[ plus $49 for an extra battery] i spend on your products. I don't need big brother loooking over my shoulder to fly safely. Been RC'ing for 15+ years.  I need to build a 450 or 500 size quad and put a gimbal on it for the go pro.    OK, I posted this in another thread already...I will stop venting.  Sorry gang. Stu

People who are unhappy complain.  People who are happy are out flying.  There are significantly more people in the latter group.  It's difficult to gauge the quality of a product by simply reading complaints, especially when it's a big company selling tens of thousands of products.  A better way of gauging the quality of the product might be to measure their sales numbers relative to other companies.  

If your flight is restricted, then you cannot fly.  If you are not happy, then you should direct your complaint at FAA.  If you somehow blame DJI for this and decide to buy some other product which enables you to fly anyway despite being in a restricted area, there is at least a slight risk that you could happen to look up and see an F-22 bearing down on your position, and you could even notice bright orange flashes under the wings coupled with Vulcan 20mm cannon fire.  At that point, you might wish you were flying DJI.

www.airmap.io

Good luck

2018-8-6
Use props
BigDenver
lvl.1
United States

"If your flight is restricted, then you cannot fly."

This!  The whole reason we have these flight restrictions forced upon us now is because a few individuals couldn't follow the rules.  I am as anti-big-brother as it gets, but the whole UAV enthusiasts community is generally viewed as a bunch of trouble makers.  The news loves to sensationalize accidents and idiots, the latter of which seems to be in endless supply.  Until we all get better at changing that opinion, more rules will be forced upon us.  Fly responsibly and teach others how to enjoy this hobby safely and correctly.  That will go much further than complaining about it on a message board that only we read.

I have met countless people while flying who say "Cool! I am gong to get one".  They then watch me check all of my calibrations, battery levels, surroundings, and then go through my pre-flight checklist.  This usually makes them quickly understand that you don't just "launch and fly".   That's even before I explain how I practiced for a year without the aid of GPS and automatic systems.  I am always explaining to a would-be hobbyist that there are rules observe and work to do before you take off, but also that it's totally worth it!  

I believe that if more people can understand that the vast majority of us are responsible, there would be much less of this!
2018-8-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules