23018 123 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6916e6f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1790384 ft
Canada

In this story it says:

This will cause a storm and will only be as good as the data DJI provides. It certainly will be a topic on our Tuesday Hangout. One of the things it brings back into sharp focus is just home much data DJI are storing on you. They are, in effect, asking for an update.
If you don’t comply with this update your DJI system will be throttled and fly no further than 50 metres distance and 30 metres altitude.
City fliers, prepare to start taking country trips to get your flying fix.
If this is an effort to appease regulators around the world, I would hope their guidance has been sought as to the applicable restricted airspace in whatever country. The accuracy and completeness of some airspace information is questionable in some places.

Will this stop DJI equipment flying altogether in countries where private RPAS flight is forbidden?
This update, and complaints, will be lost in the noise of next week’s expected launch of the DJI Spark.

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of next week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile.

Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.

You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware.

If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.

Story above: https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05 ... drones-next-update/

Am I right in thinking that this was done to fix the issue where a while ago DJI released an update to the no-fly zones that prevented people from flying drones in Afghanistan, Iraq and a bunch of government locations in China.  Then People quickly found a few ways to bypass this using tinfoil and not login to the DJI app when  they fly. This update will fix that hole in the system.   Am I right in thinking if you currently are connected to data (or cellular data) when you fly and you don't have tinfoil or something on your drone today to allow you to fly.  It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that this update will not impact you?    Can we get an official  DJI answer on this please?

2017-5-20
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I understand and am sympathetic to concerns that DJI might do something that would cripple peoples' beloved hobby (or occupation). But I also suspect that this is just another case of less-than-ideal communication on DJI's part that results in lots of hand wringing by its customers until the real impact is discovered and found to be minimal. Look at it this way: what's the likelihood that DJI will voluntarily do something that could significantly reduce their ability to sell more drones?
2017-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think droneflying makes sense when he says dji are not going to do something that might reduce there sales.
However it looks like there is something a foot and as usual dji's lack of any detail in there statement will just continue to cause confusion, and I wouldn't hold my breath thinking we are going to be told anymore.
I think the fact that dji are holding a gun to pilots head by using there power to reduce your aircraft to a kite, is a sign that they want everyone to sign up for this. I just would like to know why..
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Could spell trouble for tablet users that don't have a wifi link, and no cell coverage.

The NFZ issue already has me worried.  This new restrictions are going way too far from what I read.

Might be time to sell this drone and let someone else deal with this garbage.
2017-5-20
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Would you buy a car that can't go more than 70?
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Jenkins Posted at 2017-5-20 07:19
Would you buy a car that can't go more than 70?

There is a different mentality in China in that the people come from a Communist background and expect to be told what they can and can't do.
2017-5-20
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Would be nice if I could have a firmware update to connect my RC to my Mavic first before I worry about flight restrictions, can't even get mine off the ground!
2017-5-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

It astounds me that they worry about flight restrictions when they have an app that can't run for more than 5-10 minutes without crashing
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-5-20 07:41
It astounds me that they worry about flight restrictions when they have an app that can't run for more than 5-10 minutes without crashing

This!  I shouldn't be worried about my app crashing.  4.0.7 crashes almost perfectly at the same time every time.  4.0.5 did too.  4.0.6 seems to be the best version as I never had issue with that one.
2017-5-20
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Run the older app and block the dns to the updates. Think bgcentre.com. There was a config file in the dji folder (android) with version information you change too, then far as the app is concerned your firmware is up to date.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-20 07:53
Run the older app and block the dns to the updates. Think bgcentre.com. There was a config file in the dji folder (android) with version information you change too, then far as the app is concerned your firmware is up to date.

I haven't tried to downgrade yet as the weather has been pretty bad here so the drone has been sitting for a while.  Sounds like you have already downgraded.  Thanks for the tip.
2017-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-20 07:53

You may run into problems if you need to update further firmware.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-20 08:12

With the problems probably coming with the next rev of firmware mentioned in this thread, I don't see that as an issue.
2017-5-20
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hey folks.

Not because I would in any way violate Danish legislation on drone flight but if the new initiative by DJI prevented my vessel from doing anything I could before, my Mavic would be retuned to the Danish dealer with the demand for and getting my Mavic Back with the original functions. I have a two-year warranty on my Mavic and a strong consumer organization that has previously won over big businesses like Apple. It will undoubtedly take some time, but today there is a cheaper drone (half price) that has almost the same features as Mavic and a significantly better 4k camera.

Regards Leif.
2017-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-20 08:20
With the problems probably coming with the next rev of firmware mentioned in this thread, I don't see that as an issue.

Sorry what I meant was if we try to run what will be older app after next week then for further updates we will not be able to update without updating information dji are looking for.

Also what happens to drones that were sold on ?
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I am not going to have my drone force me to activate it.  This is complete BS.

DJI - This is not what we signed on for.  Plain and simple.
2017-5-20
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/i ... grade-to-400.16619/
2017-5-20
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

If DJI doesn't do this right, it could work out nasty for them.

Thankfully i still have my modified Phantom 2.
2017-5-20
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-20 08:12

Think just keeping what works is best. We still haven't seen what they're going to do.

Here's how to stop the update nag and keep your current firmware / old go version.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 4924&fromuid=429792
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I just downgraded to 0400 from 0700.  I didn't think you could go back that many revs but you can.
2017-5-20
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

This would be total bull crap. I would be getting rid of mine for sure. That would really suck because i have one of the rare ones. Meaning it has worked with NO problems as of yet. I don't understand how they could do this and get away with it. If they limit the workings of the Mavic they should have to offer a buy back or some compensation for the product being corrupt or not as it was sold. You don't buy a car that gets 30 mpg and since you don't drive the roads they want you only get 10 mpg. It would kill that car maker as it will do with DJI. No one would purchase anything knowing that it can or will be restricted after purchase.
2017-5-20
Use props
iamthewatchdog
lvl.3
United States

So, let me get this straight. This update will force us to upgrade our drone and takes away the opportunity to downgrade the update, even if it screws with how the drone (especially the Mavic) works? I don't understand why DJI would even think this is a good idea. If the updates screw up the drone, and they start falling from the sky, crashing, not returning or causing potential harm to someone or something, wouldn't DJI be at fault? This sounds idiotic to me. Lawsuits would be coming in left and right if someone gets hurt and it is proven that the pilot wasn't at fault.

Not sure I'm going to keep the drone now. I don't want to risk losing the thing and finding out it hurt someone or caused damage to property.

Another thing, is the wifi connection going to run the entire time you fly? Not sure I understand why this would even need to be done, if they are forcing you to update the firmware every time a new version comes out. I'm not going to pay extra (upgrade my data) just to fly a drone. I may be reading that wrong, though.

2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Awesome.  I just found the older version DJI Go 4 app - 4.0.6.  That version never crashed.

Total downgrade day.

Just a thought...  A Mavic with rev .0400 firmware and the older Android 4.0.6 app is probably going to be very valuable soon.
2017-5-20
Use props
iamthewatchdog
lvl.3
United States

Okay,

So, here is what I've found:  According to Brendan Schulman (Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI), you don't have to update the App at all. However, if you do update the app, each time you upgrade the firmware/software, you will need to login in to verify. Doesn't sound as bad as what the original link stated. Here's a screenshot that I found over at PhantomPilots.

Hope this helps.
2017-5-20
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United States

Better not be true or the mavic and the goggles will be returned.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

My DJI Go 4 App has now warned me that in one week, I will be required to register.

Currently learning the ins and outs of it so I can have full functionality without it ever getting a connection to the web.  Looks like I am able to do this.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Yes, one does not need to register.  Ran the 4.0.6 Android with full map support on a downgraded .0400 Mavic today.  The new install has never been allowed to talk to the net.

Sad that I have to do this however.  Bad move on DJI's part.
2017-5-20
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

^^ You can only do this on a rooted Android phone right?
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

chalde Posted at 2017-5-20 17:47
^^ You can only do this on a rooted Android phone right?

No.  Either install a firewall for the app, or use airplane mode.

The maps are stored under \DJI\dji.go.v4\.djiHereMap.  Copy this out of your current device to your PC.  Uninstall DJI Go 4, clear all folders on your phone of anything DJI, Reinstall DJI Go 4, Run it at least once, Delete the \.djiHereMap folder, Replace with your old \.djiHereMap version, run the app.

From that point on, don't ever let it call home and it will be like it once was.

Note when you install the new app, don't ever let it talk to the inet.  If you do, then it will know there is a forced registration.
2017-5-20
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-20 17:55
No.  Either install a firewall for the app, or use airplane mode.

The maps are stored under \DJI\dji.go.v4\.djiHereMap.  Copy this out of your current device to your PC.  Uninstall DJI Go 4, clear all folders on your phone of anything DJI, Reinstall DJI Go 4, Run it at least once, Delete the \.djiHereMap folder, Replace with your old \.djiHereMap version, run the app.

You can disable the updates and nag screen and adjust it so it thinks firmware is up to date. Then the maps will load too and you have lte access out there. Here's the old link.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 65&page=3#pid704924

For android but I'm sure you could do it on ios (don't have an apple device here)

1. Install Hosts Editor from Play Store
2. Add the following entry:
IP Address: 127.0.0.1
Hostname: upgrade.bgcentre.com

Then open file list.json in Android/data/dji.pilot/cache and change "android":"x.x.x" at the top to x.x.x you're using.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-20 18:02
You can disable the updates and nag screen and adjust it so it thinks firmware is up to date. Then the maps will load too and you have lte access out there. Here's the old link.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=84465&page=3#pid704924

Note most people don't have a rooted phone, so let us know another way to modify the hosts file.  Your app requires root privaleges.  
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Note this is likely the best firewall app (OpenSource) for Android and it does not require root access:  https://play.google.com/store/ap ... u.faircode.netguard

With that said, I have yet to test it with DJI Go 4.  I might get around to that tonight.
2017-5-20
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-20 18:06
Note most people don't have a rooted phone, so let us know another way to modify the hosts file.  Your app requires root privaleges.

Ah, I thought you were rooted. Yeah the hosts file will be read only non rooted.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-20 18:15
Ah, I thought you were rooted. Yeah the hosts file will be read only non rooted.

My last phone I rooted because I was getting rid of all the bloatware.  Current phone I did not buy from a carrier and it came clean (Sony) so no need to root this one.

Not even sure the current Samsungs can even be rooted due to the way they did their firmware, though maybe a matter of time until someone finds a way around it.  The point is, maybe some people can't even root if they wanted to.
2017-5-20
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wow!  The Android 4.0.6 version of the DJI Go 4 App has requested 22 different connections on startup!  What the heck are they sending?

Note:  My first test is NoRoot Firewall.  I may or may not get around to the other firewall as it seems you have to pay to get full access to it.

This first part definitely needs to be blocked:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\>ping upgrade.bgcentre.com

Pinging upgrade.bgcentre.com [52.4.227.203] with 32 bytes of data:

This only does the upgrades though.
2017-5-20
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/i ... grade-to-400.16619/
2017-5-20
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Yea I'm not happy about this. It was not outlined there would be restrictions imposed when I purchased. I may be speaking with apple for refund if this is not done correctly.
2017-5-20
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-20 18:47
Wow!  The Android 4.0.6 version of the DJI Go 4 App has requested 22 different connections on startup!  What the heck are they sending?

Note:  My first test is NoRoot Firewall.  I may or may not get around to the other firewall as it seems you have to pay to get full access to it.

DJI installing rootkit backdoor?
2017-5-21
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Bax Posted at 2017-5-20 23:39
Yea I'm not happy about this. It was not outlined there would be restrictions imposed when I purchased. I may be speaking with apple for refund if this is not done correctly.

DJI is at this point gone full on political and acting like quasi government or an enforcement arms for governments.
We all know something that starts out for "terrorism" soon gets used for every other reason /purpose under the sun.
Given DJI's track record, this is not looking good for consumers.

I don't think DJI's intent is to create a 'no fly list' for counter terror purposes in the same manner a TSA "no fly list" we have today. And its not exactly like "spies" will be registering with DJI under their real names and stuff anyhow. So while certainty this can be used to individually target and spy on someone who is a person of interest, it doesn't seem like a practical intent. More likely, DJI is paving the way for the beginning steps of a registration list, being the defacto manufacturer of consumer drones, they are in the unique industry position to drive this, partly the appease governments, partly to benefit themselves. Eventually I could see this going down the route how like we have firearms registration in the USA right now. For example, wanna buy a new drone? It has to go through an DJI authorized dealer. That Dealer must perform check ID in person and those who can't pass a background check will be denied flying privileges. Just like felons cannot vote or people on no fly lists cannot fly, there might be a DJI list of people who are not allowed to fly DJI drones, and whatever criteria DJI sets will be even more strict than the governments criteria, since flying, and especially drone flying, is a privilege and not a constitutionally protected right (such as free speech etc) So I could see this going down the path of, oh so you are on probation? drone flying privileges revoked! Oh you own the IRS backtaxes? You can't fly drones until you pay up. Oh you are late on child support? Oh you are suffering from PTSD? Oh you posted a video or forum post critical of DJI? you get the idea.

I could see Obama saying : if you are too dangerous to fly, you are too dangerous to own a gun,

[erroneously conflating a privilege with a protected second amendment right, the bar for striping someone of their firearms is much higher, criminal conviction beyond a reasonable doubt, than the threshold of denying someone boarding on an aircraft, which can be based on secret suspicion alone]

if you are too dangerous to own a gun, you are too dangerous to buy a drone.

Sliding down the slippery slope we go!

lol

I wonder at what point does DJI reach point of negative returns with the efforts to keep encroaching on its customers to appease governments. At some point, (and I don't know if we are anywhere close to it yet) there reaches a point of inflection in which continued lock down efforts will mean less total profit for them. That equilibrium point once reached will spell the slowdown of this crazyness.

But perhaps the DJI Spark, the new Goggles, etc and appealing to the massess of kite flying crowds is DJI's attempt at shifting that curve into the indefinite future.

What do you suppose gives DJI the legal 'right' to handicap the Mavic of customers post-sales , retroactively and after the fact, without consent and without legal justification (ie Go Pro Karma recall)
If DJI prioritizes appeasing governments or safety in the name of self preservation then so be it, but if it wants to handicap units already sold, then DJI has the obligation to at least give a partial / pro-rated if not full refund for those customers whom demand /request to be given the option to return their units and get their money back, since the product they got effectively was or had become materially different from what was represented to them at the time of purchase.

Sorry but no matter how DJI spins it, they can't have it both ways. Either DJI screwed up back then when the Mavic was on the drawing boards or DJI screwed up now, but why is the consumer subsidizing for DJI's mistake by getting less than what they paid for? Why is DJI allowed to effectively use tactics that could be construed as anti-competitive (artificially reducing battery safety margins to give better flight times against competitors on specs to publicize themselves to market, but then push out firmware updates to cap the battery usable levels after the fact, in the name of safety and the banner of security, without updating the true effectively flight time to reflect the change, etc) when they have ulterior motives and vested interests (increasing DJI Care profit margins for being more and more conservative in flight envelopes anyone?!) .... either way I don't see how this is anything but 'evil'

folks in the US that felt they were victims of theft by deception also retain the right to contact their credit card company for a chargeback. Especially if they bought straight from DJI and within 180 days/ 90 days Again, this works both ways.
2017-5-21
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

bochen7 Posted at 2017-5-21 01:32
DJI installing rootkit backdoor?

Very interesting:  http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/blocking-the-go-app.66003/

More: http://forum.dji.com/thread-42490-1-1.html
2017-5-21
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules