1234Next >
23036 124 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

The older go app is kind of sketchy, looks like it plays with gps location and drains the battery on android. Have to force stop it and that worked or use greenify. Fly litchi here, it's a clean app without all the overhead.

The assistant is the one I would worry about, run it in a vm. I ran v1.0.7 through total virus awhile back and it picked up some ransomware. Probably false positive, but who knows Ken could be pulling levers and funneling the info to Mindy > Supreme Leader.
2017-5-21
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Iceland

iamthewatchdog Posted at 2017-5-20 15:16
Okay,

So, here is what I've found:  According to Brendan Schulman (Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI), you don't have to update the App at all. However, if you do update the app, each time you upgrade the firmware/software, you will need to login in to verify. Doesn't sound as bad as what the original link stated. Here's a screenshot that I found over at PhantomPilots.

Isn't this whole 'update/registration' thing 100% related to the Chinese government requiring all drones to be registered (as of May 18th and now extended to June 1st) ????????  DJI seems to be just working with it's local government and updating their systems to support this regulation and by default incorporating all international users into the same......????????????????????
2017-5-21
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-21 09:58
The older go app is kind of sketchy, looks like it plays with gps location and drains the battery on android. Have to force stop it and that worked or use greenify. Fly litchi here, it's a clean app without all the overhead.

The assistant is the one I would worry about, run it in a vm. I ran v1.0.7 through total virus awhile back and it picked up some ransomware. Probably false positive, but who knows Ken could be pulling levers and funneling the info to Mindy > Supreme Leader.

I have 4.0.6 if anyone wants it, the version without a memory leak.
2017-5-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-21 11:20
Isn't this whole 'update/registration' thing 100% related to the Chinese government requiring all drones to be registered (as of May 18th and now extended to June 1st) ????????  DJI seems to be just working with it's local government and updating their systems to support this regulation and by default incorporating all international users into the same......????????????????????

That makes a lot of sense. Good job...
2017-5-21
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Yeah this whitepaper, Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr ... %203-22-17.pdf?dl=0

Just read it.  Seems clear what the new "updates" are all about  DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time using the same radio that is already in the Mavic  No wonder it comes with the caveat that if you don't login, re-register, etc that you can only fly 98feet high, 150 feet away.... and no live feed.  It all coming together and making sense now...  In the same whitepaper, DJI said no new hardware would be needed, only firmware changes since its using the same radio link and that it was anticipated readiness for this summer!
2017-5-21
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Bax Posted at 2017-5-20 23:39
Yea I'm not happy about this. It was not outlined there would be restrictions imposed when I purchased. I may be speaking with apple for refund if this is not done correctly.

This is only to ensure the GEO Fencing regulations in built are correctly configured for the country you fly in. Australia is not on the list of countries with GEO Fencing data so there is no change to us at all.  If you don't do the update, nothing changes.  If you do update, you have to log in to validate the update - nothing else changes.
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

SeaComms Posted at 2017-5-22 01:05
This is only to ensure the GEO Fencing regulations in built are correctly configured for the country you fly in. Australia is not on the list of countries with GEO Fencing data so there is no change to us at all.  If you don't do the update, nothing changes.  If you do update, you have to log in to validate the update - nothing else changes.

The old firmware versions have an expiration date hard coded into them. This is different than the DJI Go app nagging you to update the firmware. Consider that the soft grace period, but the hardcoded expiration date on the firmware, once reached, will not only require you to reactivate the Mavic with DJI servers, but also update to latest firmware, at which time, will also require you to use latest DJI app. As we all know, Mavic does not fly without GPS mode, sure it might take off in ATTI mode, but you can't really do anything with the Mavic until GPS kicks in. GPS-TIME is extremely accurate, just like sync with an atomic clock, so Mavic will always know the true date/time upon powerup. The old firmware versions have a trigger that if it detects it is too old, it will refuse to fly at all until you are then requested to upgrade. The newer version firms will not let you downgrade back to an older version.I used to think like you, if I just keep Mavic offline then I should be fine. No, DJI already thought of that.
2017-5-22
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

This is what I got from them in my email this morning.

Dear Customers,

DJI will soon introduce a new application activation process for international customers. This new step, to take effect at the end of this week, ensures you will use the correct set of geospatial information and flight functions for your aircraft, as determined by your geographical location and user profile. All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.
Even if you have registered when activating your aircraft upon purchase, you will have to log in once when you update the new version of DJI GO or GO 4 App. If you have forgotten your password since your initial login, you can reset it using a function within the DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps.
You will need a data connection to the Internet for your smartphone or tablet when you log in, in order to verify the account information and activate the updated software or firmware. If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.
The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.
DJI encourages pilots to always follow applicable laws and regulations in the countries where they operate, and provides information about these regulations on its FlySafe website at flysafe.dji.com.
Sincerely,
Your DJI Team
2017-5-22
Use props
LRSR50
lvl.1
Thailand

Burmman Posted at 2017-5-20 13:51
This would be total bull crap. I would be getting rid of mine for sure. That would really suck because i have one of the rare ones. Meaning it has worked with NO problems as of yet. I don't understand how they could do this and get away with it. If they limit the workings of the Mavic they should have to offer a buy back or some compensation for the product being corrupt or not as it was sold. You don't buy a car that gets 30 mpg and since you don't drive the roads they want you only get 10 mpg. It would kill that car maker as it will do with DJI. No one would purchase anything knowing that it can or will be restricted after purchase.

Absolutely. I would expect to see some class action lawsuit initiated for people demanding their money back in the event it does not perform as stated. Sad event for sure. I really enjoy my Mavic.

2017-5-22
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

adiru Posted at 2017-5-22 01:08
The old firmware versions have an expiration date hard coded into them. This is different than the DJI Go app nagging you to update the firmware. Consider that the soft grace period, but the hardcoded expiration date on the firmware, once reached, will not only require you to reactivate the Mavic with DJI servers, but also update to latest firmware, at which time, will also require you to use latest DJI app. As we all know, Mavic does not fly without GPS mode, sure it might take off in ATTI mode, but you can't really do anything with the Mavic until GPS kicks in. GPS-TIME is extremely accurate, just like sync with an atomic clock, so Mavic will always know the true date/time upon powerup. The old firmware versions have a trigger that if it detects it is too old, it will refuse to fly at all until you are then requested to upgrade. The newer version firms will not let you downgrade back to an older version.I used to think like you, if I just keep Mavic offline then I should be fine. No, DJI already thought of that.

Got proof of that statement about expirationdate?
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bochen7 Posted at 2017-5-21 19:05
Yeah this whitepaper, Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf  

DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time using the same radio that is already in the Mavic  .

Can phone companies do exactly the same thing, don't see many people rushing to give there phones back.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 05:41
DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time using the same radio that is already in the Mavic  .

Can phone companies do exactly the same thing, don't see many people rushing to give there phones back.

A cell phone needs to call home and is part of having the phone is that you need to subscribe to something called a 'subscribed service' so this is part of what you are asking for.

The Mavic last I checked was not a subscribed service, but a flying camera that I can use to take pictures of my vacation or whatever.  Last time I checked, my normal camera didn't have these limitations either.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Nees Posted at 2017-5-22 05:39
Got proof of that statement about expirationdate?

There is none.  I am sure such a function would rely on the app to tell it to expire since it is the comms back to DJI.
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 06:27
A cell phone needs to call home and is part of having the phone is that you need to subscribe to something called a 'subscribed service' so this is part of what you are asking for.

The Mavic last I checked was not a subscribed service, but a flying camera that I can use to take pictures of my vacation or whatever.  Last time I checked, my normal camera didn't have these limitations either.

Imagine if your Canon DSLR had to phone number to Canon every time you turned it on, forced mandatory firmware updates every month, GPS check to make sure you aren't in a no photography zone before it will unlock the shutter and image recognition to make sure the photos you took weren't of an unlawful nature and if they weren't sure the camera would broadcast the EXIF along with a hash and the image and serial number of the camera to local law enforcement.

2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

adiru Posted at 2017-5-22 06:45
Imagine if your Canon DSLR had to phone number to Canon every time you turned it on, forced mandatory firmware updates every month, GPS check to make sure you aren't in a no photography zone before it will unlock the shutter and image recognition to make sure the photos you took weren't of an unlawful nature and if they weren't sure the camera would broadcast the EXIF along with a hash and the image and serial number of the camera to local law enforcement.

Perfectly said!
2017-5-22
Use props
bombSaWay
lvl.1

Netherlands

bochen7 Posted at 2017-5-21 19:05

What I don't understand is that DJI already has all this information RC+AC serial numbers with the owners name bonded to it why cant this be used instead of requiring a new update of software ? (Strange)
DJI's FW software is far from perfect if it would be the first DJI software when implemented that does not
cause operational flight issues that will cause owners to scratch there heads and think ( what is really going on ? what is really being included with DJI software that is being called updates)
I do smell traces of deception   

2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

bombSaWay Posted at 2017-5-22 06:47
What I don't understand is that DJI already has all this information RC+AC serial numbers with the owners name bonded to it why cant this be used instead of requiring a new update of software ? (Strange)
DJI's FW software is far from perfect if it would be the first DJI software when implemented that does not
cause operational flight issues that will cause owners to scratch there heads and think ( what is really going on ? what is really being included with DJI software that is being called updates)

They want with the new firmware to use the radio transmission range of the Mavic to be constantly in real time broadcasting your Mavic serial and other telemetry locally so anyone within range will know everything about your drone and law enforcement can have receivers to automatically keep track of all drones in the air, to know true identity of who is flying, even from a distance, and in real time.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-21 11:20

Do you have a link to this?  In English.
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 06:27

If I go on Facebook twitter snapchat etc etc then they know exactly where I am .

Well then I really don't know why people who only want to use these drones as a flying camera are that bothered who knows where there drone is, and if this is the case then lost drones may become a thing of the past.
I really don't think there is a conspiracy going on here I don't think for one second dji are trying to dumb down how there drones operate, they are in the business of selling drones one of the major factors there drones sell is because of the technology in them I don't think they are going to damage there reputation by dumbing technology down , but we shall wait and see
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:02
If I go on Facebook twitter snapchat etc etc then they know exactly where I am .

Well then I really don't know why people who only want to use these drones as a flying camera are that bothered who knows where there drone is, and if this is the case then lost drones may become a thing of the past.

In my house, snapchat and twitter and Facebook do not have a clue where I am.  People that allow that need to rethink that idea in my opinion as it is coming to bite you one day.

The point being, no one is going to ground my drone at the push of a button or tell me what I can do with it.  That is stepping over a line.
2017-5-22
Use props
adiru
lvl.2
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:13
In my house, snapchat and twitter and Facebook do not have a clue where I am.  People that allow that need to rethink that idea in my opinion as it is coming to bite you one day.

Yup you see that recent report Facebook got caught experimenting on vulnerable underage teens and selling their data to third parties without consent.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

adiru Posted at 2017-5-22 07:13
Yup you see that recent report Facebook got caught experimenting on vulnerable underage teens and selling their data to third parties without consent.

Not to mention posting EXIF data in a picture online lets everyone know exactly where you are so we can break into your house and steal your drone because you are 200 miles away right now.
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:13

The point being, no one is going to ground my drone at the push of a button or tell me what I can do with it.  That is stepping over a line.

The FAA already tell you what you can do with it you should take that part up with them.

I don't think dji is going to ground your drone.

I think the whole conspiracy theory is gone just a little crazy now,
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:22
The FAA already tell you what you can do with it you should take that part up with them.

I don't think dji is going to ground your drone.

NFZ dropping your drone into the ocean is a conspiracy theory?  I have some valid concerns.

As for the FAA...  Yes, I follow their laws voluntarily.  I don't need my device giving a false positive.

As for what DJI is doing, this is a classic example of a slippery slope.  You have seen it start since .0500.  A little more restriction each time.  This slope will never stop.
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:28
NFZ dropping your drone into the ocean is a conspiracy theory?  I have some valid concerns.

As for the FAA...  Yes, I follow their laws voluntarily.  I don't need my device giving a false positive.

This is all crazy thinking , on P4 , p3 inspire and pro systems forums , not a single mention of any of this, and why, because they have much more experience of dealing with dji than those on this thread, I think if you look back this thread you will see those showing concern for all this are Mavic owners only or those that own even a Mavic yet.
It's all made up nonsense.
2017-5-22
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Hehe hallmark you have to slap on the tin foil hat. I'm not sure about the expiration thing in firmware, running some pretty old firmware 1.2.9. We have to wait and see what they do first, have to agree with you there, I mean a lot of this stuff is reaching and conclusions without proof. But flying and not having to worry about a major update nose planting the mavic is nice.

And what if I wanted to fly into the mayors garden when he's at the town hall with his secretary? I don't need police knowing that in real time.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:36
This is all crazy thinking , on P4 , p3 inspire and pro systems forums , not a single mention of any of this, and why, because they have much more experience of dealing with dji than those on this thread, I think if you look back this thread you will see those showing concern for all this are Mavic owners only or those that own even a Mavic yet.
It's all made up nonsense.

I take it you didn't get the email then.

I also think most experienced Phantom people are not on this forum, and they are concerned about it as I got a lot of my information about blocking the go app from the Phantom people.

Anyway, I can see you are not concerned so I will leave it at that.
2017-5-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 07:59
I take it you didn't get the email then.

I also think most experienced Phantom people are not on this forum, and they are concerned about it as I got a lot of my information about blocking the go app from the Phantom people.

I meant they are not even discussing it on there forums, and yes I did get the email and yes dji is asking me to input my details again so what's the big deal, they already know my details I just like you gave them when I activated my drones, and if dji wanted to ground my drones in the next five minutes they could,
I can understand some of this, but when the conspiracy theories start appearing I'm afraid it defeats most of the good arguments.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-22 08:06
I meant they are not even discussing it on there forums, and yes I did get the email and yes dji is asking me to input my details again so what's the big deal, they already know my details I just like you gave them when I activated my drones, and if dji wanted to ground my drones in the next five minutes they could,
I can understand some of this, but when the conspiracy theories start appearing I'm afraid it defeats most of the good arguments.

I don't think any conspiracy theories were discussed.  If there were, please let me know which ones.
2017-5-22
Use props
eMaX
New
Sweden

Landbo Posted at 2017-5-20 08:37
Hey folks.

Not because I would in any way violate Danish legislation on drone flight but if the new initiative by DJI prevented my vessel from doing anything I could before, my Mavic would be retuned to the Danish dealer with the demand for and getting my Mavic Back with the original functions. I have a two-year warranty on my Mavic and a strong consumer organization that has previously won over big businesses like Apple. It will undoubtedly take some time, but today there is a cheaper drone (half price) that has almost the same features as Mavic and a significantly better 4k camera.

Which one is that better drone?
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

eMaX Posted at 2017-5-22 09:25
Which one is that better drone?

I don't understand the question.  Maybe you can elaborate?

The desired firmware is .0400 and that is the one that is now missing but can run on any Mavic.
2017-5-22
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

can we just downgrade to 400 if possible, then just use litchi?
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-5-22 13:59
can we just downgrade to 400 if possible, then just use litchi?

No longer.  They took 0400 offline this morning.
2017-5-22
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 14:04
No longer.  They took 0400 offline this morning.

damn but what if i just use litchi then?
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-5-22 14:24
damn but what if i just use litchi then?

I don't know, but I am assuming the device needs to be activated each time it is flown.

I saved my 0400 files.
2017-5-22
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

EastyT Posted at 2017-5-20 07:41
It astounds me that they worry about flight restrictions when they have an app that can't run for more than 5-10 minutes without crashing

Would be funny if it detects NFZ right after app crash and then lands in the water

DJI Care Refresh: fill you stocks
2017-5-22
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 14:37
I don't know, but I am assuming the device needs to be activated each time it is flown.

I saved my 0400 files.

Do you have a dropbox or somewhere to dl the FW?
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-22 14:45
Would be funny if it detects NFZ right after app crash and then lands in the water

DJI Care Refresh: fill you stocks

You laugh:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-93610-1-1.html
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

chalde Posted at 2017-5-22 15:20
Do you have a dropbox or somewhere to dl the FW?

Sure.  It will take a while to upload it though.
2017-5-22
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 15:26
Sure.  It will take a while to upload it though.

No rush - just in case I need it by end of week
Hope for the best, expect the worst at this point.
2017-5-22
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules