12Next >
4272 43 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

You two guys are obviously pro's when it comes to photo/video processing, color grading, Inspire camera settings, etc.
There are probably others on here with similar knowledge and skills.

Would one of you guys be interested in making a basic tutorial and post it somewhere on the internet with screenshots, camera settings etc.
I can't speak for others, but I know I would subscribe to a series of learning tutorials specific to photo and videography specific to the Inspire-1.

Over the months, you guys have given us great advice but it gets lost in this forum. There needs to be a "one-place-tutorial"
A tutorial like this would save some of us an immense amount of time.

I know I would value such, starting first with camera setting screenshots and short guidance.

What do you think?

2015-3-9
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

im in
2015-3-9
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

Me too!
2015-3-9
Use props
kolbjornfla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16076 ft
Norway

Think there are lots of people, me included,  who would like such a tutorial,
2015-3-9
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

I think scooterlam could charge for a tutorial, I would pay. His work is awesome.
2015-3-9
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

jhogge Posted at 2015-3-10 01:32
I think scooterlam could charge for a tutorial, I would pay. His work is awesome.

I agree with you
2015-3-9
Use props
larry.crim
lvl.2

United States

would love to see a tutorial, I think I'm photography challenged.
2015-3-9
Use props
stoneyphil
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Me three
2015-3-9
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

I think that's a lot to ask, but that's just me. Maybe he has the time for it.

I've posted elsewhere here the following:

1. Buy an 18% gray card--between $5 and $17 depending on brand.
2. Set camera on auto.
3. Place card in front of camera so as to fill most of the frame with the sun falling on the card (if there is no sun, then it makes no difference, i.e., overcast/cloudy).
4. Give camera a moment or two to read the gray card, then lock the expose (using AE lock icon above camera menu on right of screen).
5. Now you will have "perfectly" exposed video.

If you want to shoot RAW it will take a tad more expertise, experience and time. Then you have to know how to color grade and have the proper software for grading. Various manufacturers usually have multiple tuts on the their site you can view for free. Be prepared to spend some time on learning. It's not something you pick up watching 10 or 15 minutes of how to videos.

2015-3-9
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-3-10 03:29
I think that's a lot to ask, but that's just me. Maybe he has the time for it.

I've posted elsewher ...

Thanks for your 18% gray card suggestions InspiredOne. I'll probably try that.

I wasn't making the above tutorial suggestions (as a freebie) without paying for a subscription.

I'd pay for a subscription and it sounds like others might also -

It could be a handsome revenue stream for the author if it were well done - plus there are going to be more and more join the Inspire community.

2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hi RFRYE et al,

First off, thanks for the compliment and confidence, much appreciated.

I'd be happy to make a tutorial on the process, which in the end is pretty simple really.

Ultimately the right choices for each unique situation become instinct, both in settings/framing/camera movement, and what you do with the clips in post, but I definitely agree that a tutorial would offer a good head start.   It's a great adventure and a lot of fun.

I'll try to put something together in the next few days.  Can't promise how extensive it will be but should show the most important steps in the process.

Jim
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

And we all learn from each other. I've fiund a lot of great info on this forum and I would love to see a quick tutorial from Scooterlam as he gets some amazing results that I don't get and would love to see some new techniques.
2015-3-9
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 05:13
Hi RFRYE et al,

You are most welcome jimhare!

I mean it - when I say I DON'T expect something valuable to me... for nothing.

I have years of Photoshop experience but am just getting started with Premiere Pro.

All I want to do... is get better. I don't ever expect to be as good as pros like you, but I would like to get part way there. I'll never be a competitor to you pros because I simply don't have that much time. Know what I mean?
2015-3-9
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 05:13
Hi RFRYE et al,

Boy! Your putting together a tutorial, jimhare, will be just GREAT!
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-10 07:34
Boy! Your putting together a tutorial jimhare will just GREAT!

Just finished it, rendering now and will then upload to YouTube.   it's 20 minutes long and goes pretty fast so might be a bit of overload, but we can discuss each section in detail when the time comes.

I'll put a link up in the next few hours.

Jim
2015-3-9
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have 25 years working with Photoshop and would like this also as its a bird of a different color.
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Okay, here is my first haphazard attempt at a tutorial of my settings and workflow.  I skimmed over and sometimes skipped important info completely so feel free to ask any questions or clarifications.

One think I already know I missed was talking about ideal shutter speed.   If possible, try to set it around double your frame rate, so if you are shooting 30FPS, set it to 60, shooting 24FPS set it to 48 etc.   Then use ISO and the ND to compensate.   If you have to raise the shutter to combat too much light, go ahead, won't ruin your shot, this is just best practice stuff.

Anyway, this is 20 minutes long and in three sections, intro, camera settings and post production.

Let me know what you think and if it's too confusing!

Jim

http://youtu.be/S7PxuY9cqZE
2015-3-9
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jim,

Thanks a LOT! Excellent tutorial

Arun
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

arunmehta Posted at 2015-3-10 15:00
Jim,

Thanks a LOT! Excellent tutorial

Thanks Arun, feel free to discuss anything that needs clarification.
2015-3-9
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 15:09
Thanks Arun, feel free to discuss anything that needs clarification.

Jim,

Many people, myself included would be willing to contribute some money for your time and effort for your excellent tutorial . BTW i checked your website.. your work is AMAZING! check out my astroimaging website at ccdimager.net.

Arun
2015-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

arunmehta Posted at 2015-3-10 15:42
Jim,

Many people, myself included would be willing to contribute some money for your time and eff ...

Thanks Arun.  No, wouldn't dream of taking any money, happy to give any information I have.   Many people did the same for me over the years so just paying a bit back for what I received.

Thanks for the compliment on my website, I enjoy what I do!

Cheers,

Jim
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

arunmehta Posted at 2015-3-10 15:42
Jim,

Many people, myself included would be willing to contribute some money for your time and eff ...

Arun, just checked your website out.  Wow, really interesting stuff, very impressive!
2015-3-10
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Nice work Jim, really helpful. Thanks
2015-3-10
Use props
steve2909
lvl.2

Australia

Jim, thanks for taking the time to make the tutorial at short notice!  It is obvious you are very passionate about photography and you didn't attempt to dumbfound us with technical jargon. Your video has encouraged me to at least start experimenting with some different settings now and also trying my hand on a few of the video editing and other associated programs - as a novice of course. Thanks again!
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

steve2909 Posted at 2015-3-10 18:13
Jim, thanks for taking the time to make the tutorial at short notice!  It is obvious you are very pa ...

Excellent, thanks for the feedback Steve!   Yeah, no voodoo going on and no reason to pretend it's more complex than it is.   Like anything, color grading is a learned and dedicated skill but the tools are there for everyone to use at their own level.

All the best,

Jim
2015-3-10
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 17:29
Thanks Arun.  No, wouldn't dream of taking any money, happy to give any information I have.   Many ...

You are a cool guy, Jim Hare!

Thanks again!

If you need something from me, don't hesitate to ask but all I know is corn and soybeans. Will be using my Inspire-1 for remote crop sensing here in the Midwest U.S.A. I understand FLIR is working with DJI on "thermal". Plus, I'm looking at some other hyperspectral sensors which show crop stress well before the eye can see it. if interested look up http://www.advrecon.com/ and http://www.slantrange.com/

I double what you say - "great time to be alive"
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-10 21:20

Thanks again!

Wow, very cool stuff!   Would love to see a video of you talking about the challenges and benefits of the system you're developing.  Interesting stuff!
2015-3-10
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Whoops missed this thread. First of all, Thanks for the compliment guys. As I've said before I'd be happy to post my sample workflow for aerial off-loading and basic color correcting. I'll work on something tomorrow and post it up for you guys.

Thanks Jim for stepping up too!
2015-3-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-11 15:31
Whoops missed this thread. First of all, Thanks for the compliment guys. As I've said before I'd be  ...

Looking forward to seeing your workflow, in particular how you achieve both sharpness and cinematic quality out of your city scape and bridge shots.
2015-3-11
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jim,  

Nice tutorial, much appreciated.

Looking forward to any developments with DJI and Flir and possible thermal camera for the Inspire.  Lets hope any further camera options for the Inspire are not released at some rediculous price.
2015-3-11
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-11 16:08
Looking forward to seeing your workflow, in particular how you achieve both sharpness and cinematic ...

jimhare, Nice tutorial I could not find the thread again so I am posting here... I use a very similar workflow in my daily editing... Shooting with the inspire however I am seeing way to much compression artifacts when shooting log compared to the other settings... have you noticed this? If so do you have any tricks to cover it up besides neat video? I am just getting really mushy results from log even without turning sharpening down... I have tweeked the contrast and saturation, overlaid tracks, tried adding blur filters, etc... nothing seems to clear it up...
2015-3-11
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

So I recorded a 45 minute tutorial today and the audio cut out after 7 minutes! :@
I will re-do it in the morning and upload.
2015-3-11
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Marktho1 Posted at 2015-3-12 12:20
jimhare, Nice tutorial I could not find the thread again so I am posting here... I use a very simi ...

Can you post something for us to look at?   I haven't found that myself.   I have to do minor noise reduction on maybe 10% of my clips so far and LOG has been great for protecting the full range.   I haven't noticed an artifact issue, though sometimes you'll get some grain on high ISO shots.
2015-3-11
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-12 12:44
Can you post something for us to look at?   I haven't found that myself.   I have to do minor nois ...

I am working on it now. I'll try to have it up tomorrow. Thanks.
2015-3-11
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Jim, thank you. That just answered a LOT of questions I had on the video end of things
2015-3-11
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-3-12 13:19
Jim, thank you. That just answered a LOT of questions I had on the video end of things

My pleasure!   Look forward to talking to you about my friend's video.  Email on the way.

Jim
2015-3-11
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

me four
2015-3-14
Use props
skip
lvl.2
United States

Jim,
Thank you so much for the tutorial. That helps a lot, I have been working in Final Cut and feeling comfortable now. I realize the DavinciResolve is a more advance program. For adjusting the blacks, saturation and etc . Is there a benefit to change? If so what is it.. Willing to learn but as you know these programs can consume you when it comes to learning all there capabilities.
Let me know,
Skip
2015-3-14
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-10 21:20

Thanks again!

Rfrye, just a question I'm no expert. It would seem to me that the limited airtime of the inspire 1 and the fact that 4 props make this aircraft vulnerable over time to a catastrophic failure would disqualify it in my opinion for large scale data gathering. The image in the add shows a fixed wing aircraft. The reason I mention this is I play with both. I can say for sure that in the event of a power out or prop failure the fixed wing is way more likely to survive the resultant crash. I can also say for sure that the fixed wing will cover more ground per flight due to a vastly increased range as less power is needed to keep it aloft. I see the inspire shining in areas like bridge inspections, realestate photos, search and rescue particularly with FLIR, roof inspections, and limited battle field recon. There are many more but these seem to best fit the profile of this aircraft. Again I'm no expert but the fixed wing aircraft can be built very inexpensively so much so that a very capable surveillance aircraft can be built almost completely from hardware store foam for under $10 bucks less running gear of course. But with some ballast and good weather they fly equally as good as their 1000 dollar competition. I suggest you give it some thought. You may save time and money and be able to use the inspire for fun.
2015-3-14
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Sorry for jacking the thread guys, now back to the thread...
2015-3-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules