Mavic Pro Saves Itself from Epic Pilot Error! Mistakes were made.
1085 8 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ColoradoBob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1601690 ft
United States

Here's photographic proof that Return to Home Obsticle Avoidance really works.

I'm flying around this mountain when I decide to do a scrim shot off of a prominance. I'm enjoying fixed wing mode making these really long passes shoothing 4K video. When all of a sudden I pull the biggest epic bone headed move of my drone pilot career... As you will see, I for some reason turn into the mountain after I pass the prominance and turn right into a radio shadow... The Mavic pauses, activates RTH and heads directly at the mountain... I of course lost video and RC contact, for the first time since flying the MP. I hit the RTH button on the controller and scanned the area where the MP disappeared... You can imagine my relief when I see the video and RC reconnect... But I could see rocks real close to my starboard side so I exited stage left immediately brought it home as it was at 33% battery... I fly 3 more batteries and call it a day.
When I saw the video from the MP iwas was totaly amazed at how it worked its way out of that jam. If would have crashed and hung up it would have been a 400 foot climb at 45 and 60 degree slopes. If I had been flying anything else in my fleet I would have been one sad camper.
Thanks DJI for Obsticle Avoidance! I guess the bigger the obsticle the better it works. I'll will endever to never again use that feature ever again, though I'll always have it on.

2017-5-21
Use props
Pello
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11988 ft
Austria

I really want an espresso now!
2017-5-21
Use props
mcg Photo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4091 ft
United States

yikes!  nice to know it works though!  I had a battery running low tonight and was flying in a safe area, so I lowered my mavic to a safe height and burned battery until it did a RTH on its own just so I'd know how it worked before I really needed it.
2017-5-21
Use props
ColoradoBob
lvl.4
United States

mcg Photo Posted at 2017-5-21 16:56
yikes!  nice to know it works though!  I had a battery running low tonight and was flying in a safe area, so I lowered my mavic to a safe height and burned battery until it did a RTH on its own just so I'd know how it worked before I really needed it.

it is nice to know these features really work... Its still felt like a crash to me... Got some good stills from that trip.
2017-5-21
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

ColoradoBob Posted at 2017-5-21 17:33
it is nice to know these features really work... Its still felt like a crash to me... Got some good stills from that trip.

It's nice to see someone here, on the forum, actually expressing happiness with their Mavic.
2017-5-21
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United States

You are one lucky dude! Period. Glad you can fly another day.
2017-5-21
Use props
MTUFLYER28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8477969 ft
United States

I have a similiar clip where the obstacle avoidance saved me on a LOS RTH behind a rock outcrop.  Very pleased with this feature.  
2017-5-21
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Beautiful explanatory video.      However, if your Mavic has 9 lives like a cat, you have now used 5 of them.  

Regards Leif.
2017-5-21
Use props
ColoradoBob
lvl.4
United States

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-5-21 18:41
It's nice to see someone here, on the forum, actually expressing happiness with their Mavic.

I really enjoy my Mavic, its been a good little droid.

Reading the factory forum can get to be a bummer with all the folks who report trouble.  It is good to inject that there are normal units out there logging mile after mile with no issues other than the pilot induced issues we all love to see...
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules