Hard landing.. :(
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrucesterJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47999 ft
United States

Hey to all..
I'm a relatively new drone pilot.. but am on a fast learning curve here with my used P3P..   so here I am flying too close to the front of my cousins house and I hit the downspout from the gutter. got a couple little scratches on it.. so.. I ordered a cable set and figured out how to open this peice of high tech with what few hobby screwdrivers I have. the camera and gimbal popped out of 3\4 of those rubber cushions.. and both wires came detached from the plugs. so I now have them replaced and it lives to fly again.. but now the camera doesn't show up and the gimbal doesn't repsond to the wheel on the transmitter. On the app it's just blank.

Here's a question: why does the gimbal have a swivel on it when only the camera does the pivoting..? The front 2 LED's don't light up now either.

Do I need to replace that flat ribbon cable..? When I start it up.. the gimbal does the auto calibration and that's it.

HELP..   What fun is flying if you can't take pix and\or record video..

2017-5-21
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

It sounds like you hit a little harder than you thought!  I think the first thing I would do is to make sure those cables are plugged into the jacks firmly.  Also, check to see that there are none of the little pins bent over inside of each. You might need a magnifying glass for that.  I know I do.  The gimbal does a complete movement check at startup, but after that it only moves just a little to the left and right.  Do you have full up and down movement with the trim wheel on the controller?
2017-5-21
Use props
BrucesterJ
lvl.1
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2017-5-21 16:23
It sounds like you hit a little harder than you thought!  I think the first thing I would do is to make sure those cables are plugged into the jacks firmly.  Also, check to see that there are none of the little pins bent over inside of each. You might need a magnifying glass for that.  I know I do.  The gimbal does a complete movement check at startup, but after that it only moves just a little to the left and right.  Do you have full up and down movement with the trim wheel on the controller?

I probably did.  I think I need to purchase some smaller long nose pliers for reaching in and being able to push in on them cable plugs.  The trim wheel does nothing now. neither do the picture or video buttons.
2017-5-21
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

BrucesterJ Posted at 2017-5-21 18:22
I probably did.  I think I need to purchase some smaller long nose pliers for reaching in and being able to push in on them cable plugs.  The trim wheel does nothing now. neither do the picture or video buttons.

Do you get any error messages on the DJI Go App when you start the P3?
2017-5-21
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi BrucesterJ, we're sorry to hear about your crash.  To ensure the safety and performance, we'd recommend you to send it in for evaluation and get it repaired by engineers. Besides, unauthorized modification will avoid the warranty, for details, please visit: http://www.dji.com/service/policy
2017-5-21
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

But he said he got it used.  So it is most likely well out of warranty.  I would definitely check those plugs.  I'll bet one is not in all the way.
2017-5-21
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Just a couple more suggestions for you. The cables that you talk about are the first thing to check for sure. Those come from inside the phantom and plug into the main module under the phantom. These could also and been jarred loose inside the aircraft. But you need to also check the actual ribbon cable the runs along the gimbal/camera. It is one piece and it plugs into the camera at one point and also the gimbal motor. Those can become dislodged too, but there is a clip on the inside that would require some disassembly if you find it one of the ends loose. I agree with djordan2, that you might have had a little bigger hit that you thought. To be honest it doesn't take much. The camera & gimbal are pretty fragile components in my opinion, and subject to break. The camera itself is pretty robust, but the ribbon cable and yaw arm are generally the weak links. As far as the LED's, sounds like you may need to take it back apart to make sure the wires haven't come off the mainboard. Again, sounds like it might have taken a pretty good shot. Hope you get it fixed.
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

djordan2 Posted at 2017-5-21 20:40
But he said he got it used.  So it is most likely well out of warranty.  I would definitely check those plugs.  I'll bet one is not in all the way.

Well, there is a chance that there is some warranty on the unit, as activating it via the Go app would keep track or the aircraft, camera and RC. If he happens to know how long the previous owner had it, it could give him an idea whether or not it's worth trying to keep in tact.
2017-5-22
Use props
BrucesterJ
lvl.1
United States

Tmygun Posted at 2017-5-21 19:20
Do you get any error messages on the DJI Go App when you start the P3?

None at all. It starts normally.
2017-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules