Is turning off the Geo my only option?
5330 17 2017-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

I live in a small town in Oregon (USA). We have an airport on the edge of town they don’t have a tower or a number to call (owned by the County & they don’t have a number to call for the airport). So I called a friend (he is a Pilot Instructor here for over 20 years) & has been flying for 40+ years out of this airport so I asked him who I should talk to about Permission to fly (the town is in the 5 mile yellow zone) he said stay under 400’ & have fun if you hear an airplane be nice & fly lower until they land.

The problem is, I use the map & unlock the area, it shows up in app that I have unlocked it but the Mavic still tells me I am in a NFZ  (I have over 10 sat). If I remember correctly this all started after I updated to version .400?

So I kept updating & now I am in Firmware: v01.03.0700 & DJI GO 4 App iOS: v4.0.8. Using an Air pad mini.     

When I say we have an airport its more of a paved landing strip long enough for personal planes & small personal Jets & that’s with a small prayer first. it is nice but just not a Comerial
Airport.

The only way for me to fly at home or footbll field (not being used when I fly) is to turn off the Geo in the app?
I'm not happy about turning off the Geo in the app. I still think that it is a good idea to have turned on.
So I am asking anyone for a better answer?{:4_181:}

Thanks
2017-5-21
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Am i asking the correct thing here?
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Every airport has an administrator of some sort.  That is who you can call if you want to get actual permission, file a complaint, whatever you need to communicate.

Without a tower though, unless a pilot is calling in and asking conditions, the message is not going to get out there so it is almost pointless.

Note that your app should ask you if you want to continue I think.
2017-5-22
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-22 09:37
Every airport has an administrator of some sort.  That is who you can call if you want to get actual permission, file a complaint, whatever you need to communicate.

Without a tower though, unless a pilot is calling in and asking conditions, the message is not going to get out there so it is almost pointless.

I Open the the DJI's APP  under ME & it shows the places - my town status = Valid  But I still get the NFZ on my Remote.

before the map online would show you a list of what is unlocked after your unlock it.  Now i just see the number 1 & the button to go back in to unlock more areas.
2017-5-22
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wow.  That is worse than I have ever seen.  Maybe someone like Ken can answer it.  PM him and ask.
2017-5-22
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Check AirNav.com.  They will list an airport manager and contact phone.

I checked on a few small private fields near me.  None have GEO designations. However, some tower-less municipal fields do.

I often fly in the fringes of a Class D airspace.  (I usually notify the tower)  I always get the airspace warning, but it lets me fly anyway.  Never have had to unlock anything,
2017-5-22
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ok lets say you do contact the airport and get clearance to fly, then what? They are not going to fix your issue with the NFZ on your Mavic. I think this is one of the issues being fixed in that new firmware coming at the end of the week since many people are having the same problems.
2017-5-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Rick-Becco Posted at 2017-5-22 09:29
Am i asking the correct thing here?

I don't know that turning off GEO will help, as IIRC it just reverts to an older restricted flight control system. I live in the Washington, DC area RFZ and turning off GEO had no effect on my inability to fly in my back yard.

A couple things:

- When you say you can see in the app that the area has been unlocked, exactly what do you see? A screen grab would be helpful.

- A few updates back broke the ability to unlock areas. In my case, the same update that broke the ability to unlock areas also fixed the reason why I needed unlock codes in the first place, so I haven't paid much attention to the issue since then. Perhaps this coming update that has rattled so many is meant to address this and related NFZ problems?
2017-5-22
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-22 16:40
I don't know that turning off GEO will help, as IIRC it just reverts to an older restricted flight control system. I live in the Washington, DC area RFZ and turning off GEO had no effect on my inability to fly in my back yard.

A couple things:

When DGI go app starts go to the "ME" before you enter the Device then "My Unlock NFZ Application" under (Places) it shows my Town's name & under (Status) it shows (Valid) & they only appear after I login to DGI’s Website & unlock the area under my login name after 3 days it disappears or shows inactive. But the web site does not even show that I have unlocked the area like before.

If I turn off the GEO after starting app. & turning on the AC the first time I get “ready to fly” and no more NFZ as long as don’t turn off the app. I can turn off the AC, change batteries but as long as I don’t turn off the app I am good for the day.

My area is only a yellow “warning” no red zones but the yellow is a NFZ until I turn off the GEO then I am good to go.

2017-5-22
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-22 16:10
Ok lets say you do contact the airport and get clearance to fly, then what? They are not going to fix your issue with the NFZ on your Mavic. I think this is one of the issues being fixed in that new firmware coming at the end of the week since many people are having the same problems.

I hope so. But for know I just turn off the GEO & fly away.
2017-5-22
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Rick-Becco Posted at 2017-5-22 23:14
When DGI go app starts go to the "ME" before you enter the Device then "My Unlock NFZ Application" under (Places) it shows my Town's name & under (Status) it shows (Valid) & they only appear after I login to DGI’s Website & unlock the area under my login name after 3 days it disappears or shows inactive. But the web site does not even show that I have unlocked the area like before.

I think the whitelist application interface under DJI Go 4's Me section is only telling you the status of your application, you still have to actually enable the whitelist unlock and select your key.

Once you connect to the Mavic in the area that needs unlocking, you need to go to Go 4's General settings and scroll down until you see the UnLimit Area option, which is right above the GEO System section. Then, under the UnLimit Area settings you FIRST have to tap on the unlock key, which is the long string underneath the Enable Whitelist Unlock control, and THEN activate the Enable Whitelist Unlock control after confirming the prompts.
131338t2nvqylpyiinrisn.jpg
2017-5-23
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-23 08:18
I think the whitelist application interface under DJI Go 4's Me section is only telling you the status of your application, you still have to actually enable the whitelist unlock and select your key.

Once you connect to the Mavic in the area that needs unlocking, you need to go to Go 4's General settings and scroll down until you see the UnLimit Area option, which is right above the GEO System section. Then, under the UnLimit Area settings you FIRST have to tap on the unlock key, which is the long string underneath the Enable Whitelist Unlock control, and THEN activate the Enable Whitelist Unlock control after confirming the prompts.

Thank you!

This is the first that I have heard of the unlocking it in the DGI Go software before all you had to do was unlock it on the web site with your S/N.
Did I miss something in the book because I have read it many times?
By the way have I always update firmware & software I am running 4.1.0 on the app & 1.03.0800 on the remote & AC. My flight database just updated today to ver. 01.00.01.04.

So this is crazy am I going to have to go to the map unlock it with the Flight controller s/n choice of the day then go into the app and unlocking list & turn it on or will it now be on for this area forever?

By the way my S/N changes sometimes it has all the characters & sometimes it leaves off the last 4 digits this is where you go to the app-About then look at the S/N under Flight Controller Serial Number, it only changes after re starting the app then it stay on it until someday you start it & now it is missing the last 4 digits, anyone have any idea why this would happen.
2017-6-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Rick-Becco Posted at 2017-6-11 11:29
Thank you!

This is the first that I have heard of the unlocking it in the DGI Go software before all you had to do was unlock it on the web site with your S/N.

Welp, they've changed the screen a bit, renamed it, added a sync button. This is what it looks like now on iOS Go 4.1.0. Unforunately, I let my unlock key expire as fixes to the geo map made my unlock request no longer necessary.

IMG_1652.PNG
2017-6-11
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

just use common sense and disable the ****ing geofence
2017-6-11
Use props
nevoeiro1974
lvl.1

Portugal

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-6-11 22:22
just use common sense and disable the ****ing geofence

I installed dji 4 app now and I don't have the option to disable GEO. Looks like Dji removed this option. I had previous dji4 app on my nexus and the option was there. Now with fresh ibstall on Tab S is gone. Anyone having this problem ?
2017-6-24
Use props
fans47095604
New
Flight distance : 79055 ft
United States

Following. I tried to figure this out yesterday. Got a code texted to me but didn't know what to do with it after that.
Similar small town piece of pavement they call an airport. No tower etc.
2017-6-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans47095604 Posted at 2017-6-24 05:49
Following. I tried to figure this out yesterday. Got a code texted to me but didn't know what to do with it after that.
Similar small town piece of pavement they call an airport. No tower etc.

I believe if you have GEO enabled and it detects the NFZ / airport it'll prompt you to enter the code, at which point you should enter it and be able to continue (or begin) flying. Just be sure that your mobile device has an internet connection so that it can verify the code.
2017-6-24
Use props
Broken Deviant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176919 ft
United States

I had the problem with a small grass strip "airport". It is for a crop duster near my house. I got tired of the warning messages popping up on my screen all during my flight so I turn off the GEO. I saw that the option to disable the GEO was removed so I have not updated the DJI Go, I don't use it anyway; with it crashing all the time I got the Litchi app. I don't fly if the crop duster is in the air.
2017-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules