Concern for New Process for Software Activation...
9076 97 2017-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

2017-6-10
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Teame Zazzu Posted at 2017-6-9 23:15
I  spoke to the local store in Colorado, a tech at the corporate line and a manager - VERY DISTURBING!!! After a 55 minute wait on hold to talk to the tech I was told false information about the update, the same false information that was told to me by the local store and the same string of false information that was repeated by the manager at the technical line. FIRST - I was told the new registration was due to FAA regulations, (I informed them that the FAA had been sued and did not have the authority to force drone registration)  they then told me it was to comply with "federal regulations" ( I then confronted them that no such regulations existed and that this was false information) I was then told it was because the drone's GPS wouldn't work without the update ( I then informed them that that is not how GPS works and that that was false information as well) after which they told me that it was for "your safety"!  I have owned a mavic pro since December 2016 and I am not covered by warranty, nor care refresh. Nor will they allow me to return the drone for a refund if I don't want to surrender my private data or login to their application!!   Nobody could tell me by what authority DJI is allowed to basically brick my drone if I don't comply!  I paid over $1200 usd for a drone system that cost more than my first car in college! Even the FAA does not have the authority to force me to register my drone!! How can a company remotely disable my drone or change its capabilities after 6 months on a product I PAID FOR AND I OWN and basically RANSOM MY DRONE AND USE  COERCISON TO MAKE ME SURRENDER MY PRIVATE DATA???!!!  This is the equivalent of buying a Volkswagen  car and six months later having the company disable your car and lock you out of your car until you give them your pattern of life data!  If DJI doesn't owe me a refund or a warranty and won't replace my drone then why are they able to FORCE updates on a machine  I OWN?? I don't owe DJI anything! I am not their employee and they don't own my drone, I do. This is a bait-and-switch sales tactic that has been misrepresented for "my safety" while really the only people who benifit is DJI by monetizing my data (which is worth money in and of itself) and covering their own liability! DJI has absolutely. O right to mess with my drones function 6 months after my purchase especially when they won't refund or cover damages their firmware updates cause. (. As already happened to many inspire 1 owners). After being confronted over their false information they told me that they cannot offer me a refund and my choices are basically have my drones capabilities DRAMATICALLY HANDICAPPED or I CAN DO WHATERVER DJI TELLS ME TO DO WHENEVER THEY TELL ME. These are unacceptable options. They told me I can contact legal at  if I do t like it. I will never buy another DJI product ever again and will discourage everyone I meet from doing so as well! This is an unacceptable draconian way to treat customers! Not only did 3 consecutive employees give me false reasons for the software update and registration until confronted with facts, but they continue to ransom equipment I OWN! I bought an Assualt rifle and COLT didn't come back 6 months later and disable my rifle until I have them whatever they demanded! By what authority is DJI withdrqwling functions I already paid for? None of their representatives were even able to answer that question during a 3 hour and 49 minute phone call!

I was on your side until the weapon reference.
2017-6-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

It's quite interesting to see many people complaining about privacy. But how many services you are currently using that actually exploit this private data? Google, Windows, Facebook, Apple, Banks just to name a few.
There is nothing being forced in this specific case. They are giving you options,  is up to the user to take it or leave it. Is this update and forced logging safety related? Yes, it does makes a lot of sense to have this kind of safety nets in place. Let's say for example, since the FAA cannot force the registration of drones for the moment, that you are one of this hooligans that flies in direct flight path of a manned aerial vehicle with 200 souls on board, and because this one of the passengers gets hot coffee spilled on its lap due to evasive manouver taken by the craft or because an impact. The demand will go to the airline and then all they way down to DJI. Since they are not operators they have to guard their backs, meaning that they need a way to track down the PIC of the drone and hold it accountable for his/her actions. Is simple as that if you are flying within all the regulations you will keep having the same amount of fun that we already had.
The sad thing about all this fuzz and confusion is that, we are seeing the opinion and judgment of people that haven't upgraded their system and are purely speculating. I did upgrade and keep my systems up to date, and with this "scary boogieman" of software & firmware,  what I had seen is nothing more than a more stable platform and well depurated system on which you can rely on.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

bomberuk Posted at 2017-6-10 01:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Z2SughGIM&t=0s

Good job explains everything, so no need for the hysteria Police.
2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Teame Zazzu Posted at 2017-6-9 23:15
I  spoke to the local store in Colorado, a tech at the corporate line and a manager - VERY DISTURBING!!! After a 55 minute wait on hold to talk to the tech I was told false information about the update, the same false information that was told to me by the local store and the same string of false information that was repeated by the manager at the technical line. FIRST - I was told the new registration was due to FAA regulations, (I informed them that the FAA had been sued and did not have the authority to force drone registration)  they then told me it was to comply with "federal regulations" ( I then confronted them that no such regulations existed and that this was false information) I was then told it was because the drone's GPS wouldn't work without the update ( I then informed them that that is not how GPS works and that that was false information as well) after which they told me that it was for "your safety"!  I have owned a mavic pro since December 2016 and I am not covered by warranty, nor care refresh. Nor will they allow me to return the drone for a refund if I don't want to surrender my private data or login to their application!!   Nobody could tell me by what authority DJI is allowed to basically brick my drone if I don't comply!  I paid over $1200 usd for a drone system that cost more than my first car in college! Even the FAA does not have the authority to force me to register my drone!! How can a company remotely disable my drone or change its capabilities after 6 months on a product I PAID FOR AND I OWN and basically RANSOM MY DRONE AND USE  COERCISON TO MAKE ME SURRENDER MY PRIVATE DATA???!!!  This is the equivalent of buying a Volkswagen  car and six months later having the company disable your car and lock you out of your car until you give them your pattern of life data!  If DJI doesn't owe me a refund or a warranty and won't replace my drone then why are they able to FORCE updates on a machine  I OWN?? I don't owe DJI anything! I am not their employee and they don't own my drone, I do. This is a bait-and-switch sales tactic that has been misrepresented for "my safety" while really the only people who benifit is DJI by monetizing my data (which is worth money in and of itself) and covering their own liability! DJI has absolutely. O right to mess with my drones function 6 months after my purchase especially when they won't refund or cover damages their firmware updates cause. (. As already happened to many inspire 1 owners). After being confronted over their false information they told me that they cannot offer me a refund and my choices are basically have my drones capabilities DRAMATICALLY HANDICAPPED or I CAN DO WHATERVER DJI TELLS ME TO DO WHENEVER THEY TELL ME. These are unacceptable options. They told me I can contact legal at  if I do t like it. I will never buy another DJI product ever again and will discourage everyone I meet from doing so as well! This is an unacceptable draconian way to treat customers! Not only did 3 consecutive employees give me false reasons for the software update and registration until confronted with facts, but they continue to ransom equipment I OWN! I bought an Assualt rifle and COLT didn't come back 6 months later and disable my rifle until I have them whatever they demanded! By what authority is DJI withdrqwling functions I already paid for? None of their representatives were even able to answer that question during a 3 hour and 49 minute phone call!

Firstly it's strange you calling looking for information when you already had the answers.

Secondly the option to update is optional so you don't have to do anything

Thirdly Although FAA have lost the case to have people register there drones, it's not clear that they won't be appealing this decision.

The most important thing here is you are free to do whatever you choose to do, there was no need to be ringing tech anywhere all the information is available on your app.
2017-6-10
Use props
H82Bpor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27733 ft
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-5-23 18:22
I fly by the laws of this land. LOS, 30 meters from people/houses, obey height restrictions and having fun. Not sure how you assume everyone is a shonky operator.

But like the OP i have a question also regarding the announced changes to the DJI update policy.

Good question.....
2017-6-10
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United States

AACY Posted at 2017-6-10 01:14
It's quite interesting to see many people complaining about privacy. But how many services you are currently using that actually exploit this private data? Google, Windows, Facebook, Apple, Banks just to name a few.
There is nothing being forced in this specific case. They are giving you options,  is up to the user to take it or leave it. Is this update and forced logging safety related? Yes, it does makes a lot of sense to have this kind of safety nets in place. Let's say for example, since the FAA cannot force the registration of drones for the moment, that you are one of this hooligans that flies in direct flight path of a manned aerial vehicle with 200 souls on board, and because this one of the passengers gets hot coffee spilled on its lap due to evasive manouver taken by the craft or because an impact. The demand will go to the airline and then all they way down to DJI. Since they are not operators they have to guard their backs, meaning that they need a way to track down the PIC of the drone and hold it accountable for his/her actions. Is simple as that if you are flying within all the regulations you will keep having the same amount of fun that we already had.
The sad thing about all this fuzz and confusion is that, we are seeing the opinion and judgment of people that haven't upgraded their system and are purely speculating. I did upgrade and keep my systems up to date, and with this "scary boogieman" of software & firmware,  what I had seen is nothing more than a more stable platform and well depurated system on which you can rely on.

You are painting everyone with ONE BRUSH. A lot of people DO NOT usrrender their data to Googgle, Facebook etc.

- I am one of those people, I use proxy, VPN and I optout of everything concerning my data.

- The reason DJI want to protect their back is BULL, theiur Admin already claimed in this forum that maufacturer are NOT responsible for what us the drone owner do with the drone.

- DJI are't the police the same way APLLE is neither and they should not provide any information to any third party or HOLD PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE.

- No need to call people names or minimize their concerns because you DON'T.

2017-6-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-6-10 06:27
You are painting everyone with ONE BRUSH. A lot of people DO NOT usrrender their data to Googgle, Facebook etc.

- I am one of those people, I use proxy, VPN and I optout of everything concerning my data.

I think the first thing is you can opt out of this update and dji make this abundantly clear.

Dji do not give out information to third parties and customers are protected by data laws of privacy.

Manufacturers are not responsible for how there customers use there products, if a customer chooses to use there products in a manner they were not designed for. Or if you decide to fly illegally that's the responsibility of the owner of the product. It's also not dji's responsibility to report or pass on any information regarding how customers choose to use there products , and customers are fully protected from anything like this happening.

However they are entitled to get you to sign a waiver if you are going to for instance fly above the legal limit for the country you live in and also if you need to get access to fly in NFZ .

If the didn't get this waiver then they would have no choice but to limit every craft to the legal limits for there respective countries, and we don't want that.

Companies like Apple ,Facebook, amazon and dji are bound by strict data protection laws regarding freedom of information and would be seriously libelling themselves if they gave out your information to third parties, so it's just not going to happen.

For someone like you who wants to protect himself against this happening that's your choice and it's the right decision made by you for you. But there are many around here trying to hype up something which is not going to happen something which they are fully protected from happening.

So for those who want to protect themselves that's fine, but spreading rumours and innuendo about something that they are clearly protected from happening. It's time to let people make up there own minds and by the looks of it most people have been rational about this and have updated and that's fine.

So each to his own..
2017-6-10
Use props
fansf1224c1b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17247 ft
United Kingdom

BomberUK.

Thanks for the full explanation, I think many people were losing site of what was fact and what was fiction!.

As you appear to do some testing, I wonder if you can answer my question.

I am currently on firmware 0400 and see no reason to upgrade, its perfect for my needs, I don't use Googles, and I am happy where I am.

If I upgrade the DJI Go App to the latest version, am I likely to be forced to update the firmware on the craft and controller, or could I still stay on 0400.

I have no issues with the way the new app works with the sign in.

thanks
2017-6-10
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

fansf1224c1b Posted at 2017-6-10 08:31
BomberUK.

Thanks for the full explanation, I think many people were losing site of what was fact and what was fiction!.

i believe you can stay on 400 with the new go app, i have updated to 800 as im getting the goggles and want fixed wing mode, havent had any issues infact in my opinion its the best firmware upgrade so far as the nfz message has gone which was an issue with 600 700 where i couldnt take of indoors ;) by the way thats not my video it is a channel i have subscribed to on youtube ;)
2017-6-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-6-10 06:27

I am not putting everyone on he same sack, but I did see a lot of people complaining about privacy not only on this thread. That's why I said "many".

- If you are using a proxy, VPN good for you, great way to help protect yourself, but since you might already know anything that you do on the internet, doesn't matter how well protected you think you might be, will leave a digital fingerprint which can be traced back all the way to you.

- Yes they need to protect their back. Let me tell you something that happened here in China. Some weeks ago some hooligan flew its drone near Chengdu airport and this caused a big issue with ATC, delaying flights all over the region. The authorities went behind DJI's back, and ask them for answers, this escalated to the point of DJI offering rewards for any information that could lead to the perpetrators. Yes they need to cover their arses when something like this happens again and let the authorities know that they do everything under their power to avoid this kind of issues, making only liable the person that operated the aircraft and not the software, firmware or hardware that might had allowed them to do so.

-If you think that all companies keep your information private I would love to see your face when you read the small print on those EULA that we all happily click agree and continue. just to enjoy services.

-Sorry if you got offended, definitely not my intention. But if someone do fly like a hooligan, sorry but there is no other word to describe this individual.

-I am not minimizing anyone's concerns, I am just simply trying to rule out the absurd claims given by people that doesn't know by first hand what they are talking about (haven't updated nor know how the system works) and instead of asking and trying to reach a constructive conversation, just spread panic and stupidity.

As I always say, there is nothing more dangerous than an ignorant with it's own initiative.
2017-6-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

Great stuff!!!
2017-6-10
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

They fixed this update crap yet?

Im not going near it with a 10 foot pole until i am dragged kicking and screaming to the update server.
2017-6-10
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
Netherlands

AACY Posted at 2017-6-10 09:00
I am not putting everyone on he same sack, but I did see a lot of people complaining about privacy not only on this thread. That's why I said "many".

- If you are using a proxy, VPN good for you, great way to help protect yourself, but since you might already know anything that you do on the internet, doesn't matter how well protected you think you might be, will leave a digital fingerprint which can be traced back all the way to you.

You are talking about China. This is the US there are laws and rules. All this crappp about protecting themselves doesn't fly here.

Again DJI admins, stated in this forum, that they are NOT responsible for what the end users do.

Guns kill people and you don't see gun manufacturers controlling the guns they sell/ You shoot someone you go jail. period.

2017-6-10
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-6-10 07:22
I think the first thing is you can opt out of this update and dji make this abundantly clear.

Dji do not give out information to third parties and customers are protected by data laws of privacy.

The reasons keep shifting every other day.

They already have the waiver when you use the GO APP and register your drone. American companies they are bound but we don't control or able to sue Chinese companies
The app keep saying you need to update even in airplane mode.
Sometime it connects and you need to keep trying again and again to connect.

The issue here, they are keeping my flight data which they don't need to do.
First they claim that is for repairs.
Second they claim this is for warranty.
Third they claim it is for liability.

One a company keeps changing their stories you know what it means...

2017-6-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

FlyingSmasher Posted at 2017-6-10 21:09
You are talking about China. This is the US there are laws and rules. All this crappp about protecting themselves doesn't fly here.

Again DJI admins, stated in this forum, that they are NOT responsible for what the end users do.

Is funny you mention the fact that a company is doing everything to protect themselves doesn't fly there. When companies have to put for example "Warning Hot" stickers on coffee cups to avoid getting their ass kicked by a lawsuit when someone without common sense burns themselves.

Again I am not contradicting the fact the DJI admin's stated that. That's the way it should be.

Regarding guns, well that's another story and yes guns are regulated and manufactures do change the design of their products compared to the military issued counterparts (also they make them tamper-proof). So yes, everyone is always trying to cover their arses one way or another.

Besides, as I said before and other people had mentioned,  nothing is being forced this is all being over-hyped. And if you don't like the way things are being handled there are other options in the market and if none of them satisfy you, then build it yourself. Why not, maybe you come up with the next big new thing that everyone wants, that's how progress is made.

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself."

-Ferdinand Porsche-
2017-6-10
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've got over the reasons for 'why?' Or 'because of this..' that they released the update. What has put me off using my Mavic now is it keeps disconnecting the video feed from my iPad and Goggles!
2017-6-11
Use props
Teame Zazzu 9
New
United States

Why are company shills still repeating that the "update is voluntary"??? NO its NOT!!  i TRIED TO REFUSE IT AND THEY BRICKED MY DRONE - its not voluntary, that is ridiculous. Has anyone else noticed that when you talk to actual DJI customers they are all very angry about this "login to fly"  and data collection but when you get on a DJI board, its almost like they have a large group of employee's posing as customers and sycophantically towing the company line? They pretend that DJI isn't forcing updates and isn't engaged in data surveillance and bait-and-switch sales tactics in this willfully ignorant and disingenuous tone that i never hear when talking to real DJI customers in person or on venues not controlled by DJI.  Hopefully DJI will spend more time listening to real customers feedback instead of whatever this board is .... in real life there aren't nearly this many DJI data surveillance apologists.

What are they doing wiuth all that data anyway??
https://publicintelligence.net/ice-dji-china/
2018-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules