Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Almost lost her in 70kph winds
939 10 2017-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
my little hobby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2700653 ft
Canada

I wanted to share with you all my most frightening flight so far. Hopefully I will not do this again.

2017-5-24
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

That highway was a CLOSE encounter. Lucky no car was hit or you would made it in the news.

But tbh, I guess you should have known there was to much wind. Sportsmode might have save it to land quicker.
2017-5-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You don't state what was frightening, so I assume you got taken out over the water because the wind was too strong.  First mistake, you flew downwind instead of upwind.  Common mistake for beginners.  From the video, it appeared that you also did a lot of flying backward without looking where you were going.  Backing into branches, etc., is one of the more popular mistakes also.  Always keep a 360 degree picture of where things are around you, and refresh that knowledge often with a "clearing turn" to see where everything nearby really is. I'm just grasping at straws since you didn't tell us anything about what the problem was with your flight.

Fly upwind so you can fly back on a lower battery.   Be fully aware of what is around you when you fly.  Learn to fly in sport mode also, so that when a wind takes over, you can overcome it.  I got into a bit of a wind situation yesterday where I was tempted to go to sport mode but it was a little too gusty for me to make that change confidently due to lack of experience with sport mode myself and fairly close quarters.  I wasn't high enough to trust putting it in sport mode and keeping it down a stable path so I just landed right where I was.  By the way, you should have had several wind warnings from the software, as I did.

2017-5-24
Use props
CrownSeven
lvl.1
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-24 04:28
You don't state what was frightening, so I assume you got taken out over the water because the wind was too strong.  First mistake, you flew downwind instead of upwind.  Common mistake for beginners.  From the video, it appeared that you also did a lot of flying backward without looking where you were going.  Backing into branches, etc., is one of the more popular mistakes also.  Always keep a 360 degree picture of where things are around you, and refresh that knowledge often with a "clearing turn" to see where everything nearby really is. I'm just grasping at straws since you didn't tell us anything about what the problem was with your flight.

Fly upwind so you can fly back on a lower battery.   Be fully aware of what is around you when you fly.  Learn to fly in sport mode also, so that when a wind takes over, you can overcome it.  I got into a bit of a wind situation yesterday where I was tempted to go to sport mode but it was a little too gusty for me to make that change confidently due to lack of experience with sport mode myself and fairly close quarters.  I wasn't high enough to trust putting it in sport mode and keeping it down a stable path so I just landed right where I was.  By the way, you should have had several wind warnings from the software, as I did.

Did you actually watch the video?
2017-5-24
Use props
DesertDave
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

Good lesson on high winds. Thanks for sharing the experience.
2017-5-24
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

Good tip and one to be aware of in future, I know that sinking feeling as I had similar a few years ago with a foamy R/C plane. Halfway  through the flight the wind increased and I only managed to just get it back by zig zagging into the wind at full throttle. It too was drifting away despite full throttle until I got the alt down.
2017-5-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Best way to land it, set the home point to ac when over some flat land and start a rth, then go get it. Reason is another member in here was low on battery, thought he had landed it. So when it hit the ground and lost connection, it executed a rth to the old point and ran out mid flight while he was headed for it.
2017-5-24
Use props
my little hobby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2700653 ft
Canada

Nees Posted at 2017-5-24 04:09
That highway was a CLOSE encounter. Lucky no car was hit or you would made it in the news.

But tbh, I guess you should have known there was to much wind. Sportsmode might have save it to land quicker.

Thanks for watching. It was in sports mode the entire flight.
2017-5-24
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully??? You should not do that again! lol
2017-5-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DesertDave Posted at 2017-5-24 07:18
Good lesson on high winds. Thanks for sharing the experience.

I sure did, twice full length.  Why?
2017-5-24
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Just a suggestion for next time you do an outlanding like that.

Once you have worked out where you are going to land, swipe from right to left on the screen and select [Home Point: Aircraft]. You will be then protected in the event of a signal loss as you descend or a low battery RTH. Had you lost signal as you descended you would have been in a world of bother as you indeed mentioned..
2017-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules