Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

JerryLaurence Posted at 2015-6-19 16:00
Hi Jim,

I've just got my Inspire after using a Phantom with GoPro Hero 4 Black for about 6 months.  ...

Hey Jerry,

Good to hear from you.  

Yes, it is certainly true the Inspire has a low threshold for artifacts, but it's also true that if you shoot in manual and get your exposure right that the results will far surpass a GoPro or other sports based camera.  But also means some of your footage will be unusable because of artifacts or noise.

I acknowledge this as a trade off and take an all-or-nothing approach.

So the challenge becomes shooting the best image and exposure you can and this requires a bit of practice.   

If you're using IOS then the overexposure warning is the best tool for this, even better than the histogram because there are areas that are okay to overexposed and this is the best way to see them.

Some shots will have artifacts no matter what you do.  For example shooting straight down into a river or grass can overwhelm the compression and the image wil fall apart even with good exposure.

So again, for me it's worth it as the  cinematic images I can achieve from the Inspire blow me away and are well worth it.

Jim
PS I still haven't messed with Sharpness settings since the firmware upgrade.  I've been pretty happy with zero but might have another look.  Some say reducing it lowered artifacts and others say they increased.
2015-6-19
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Question, do you guys usually shoot on MP4 format or MOV? Sorry, not sure if this has been discussed already.
2015-6-20
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Goodwill Posted at 2015-6-21 12:44
Question, do you guys usually shoot on MP4 format or MOV? Sorry, not sure if this has been discussed ...

Hey Goodwill.   If you're on a MAC then .MOV 100%.    If you're on a PC then still probably .MOV but  .MP4 probably works in many situations.

They are really the same thing, just the wrapper is different so it's all about compatibility.

Look at how you want to edit the footage and what the program likes best.  

2015-6-20
Use props
diggyz
lvl.1

Sweden

This is my second time flying (EVER). Some shots are with the settings that Jim posted and some are 0,0,0
From now on i will use 0,-2,-2 since it was much easier to work with in post.
Some feedback would be nice. Also thanks for all your tutorials Jim. Im a little bit confused about the shutter speed though. Think sometimes its okey to shoot with higher speed and if it looks terrible you can fix in in post.
Sometimes the motion blur of 1/60th looks bad i think

LOG Color
Sharpening: 0 (default)
Saturation: -2
Contrast: -2

2015-6-21
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

diggyz Posted at 2015-6-22 02:30
This is my second time flying (EVER). Some shots are with the settings that Jim posted and some are  ...

Hey diggyz,

Lovely video, well done!   Nice, smooth shots and nicely edited.

My only comment is in the grading.  Seems like some of your shots are going grey.   Personally I would love to see you push them to the golds to make the look rich as well as match the sunset theme.

Experiment with shutter speeds and find the right balance for you.  Quite often you'll find the shutter speed is determined more by your environment than choice.    For example if you are shooting in the middle of the day, unless you have a wide choice of ND filters you'll need to raise the shutter speed quite high just to get the exposure right.

Have fun and enjoy flying, it's a great joy in life!
2015-6-21
Use props
diggyz
lvl.1

Sweden

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-22 06:02
Hey diggyz,

Lovely video, well done!   Nice, smooth shots and nicely edited.

Thanks alot
Im still learning all the color combinations.Think i pushed the shadows a bit much into blue which made it look a bit grey
2015-6-21
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/06/ ... stry-standard-codec
the cineform codec we were talking about some time ago!
2015-6-25
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-20 06:04
Hey Jerry,

Good to hear from you.  

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for all your advice.

I'm now very happy with my settings (Log, -1, -2, -2) and, with the use of Neat Video, I can get very nice results free of those artifacts. It's subtle, but I can get rid of the noise without sacrificing quality. Additionally, with Edge Smoothing, there's a significant improvement when downconverting from 4K to 1080P.

Jerry
2015-6-26
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

JerryLaurence Posted at 2015-6-26 22:46
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for all your advice.

Hey Jerry,

Yeah, Neat does an excellent job of removing noise, but unfortunately nothing can correct macroblicking artifacts.   I tend to get those on moving water.

Neat also gives an interesting look that I call the "plastic wrap" effect, where the corrected image starts to look like it's wrapped in glad wrap!   I like it.

All in all the noise problem isn't big in the Inspire.  If you underexpose while shooting high detail areas like grass then the noise grain will be too much to correct anyway, but for 90% of my shots I don't find noise to be an issue.
2015-6-26
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-27 06:20
Hey Jerry,

Yeah, Neat does an excellent job of removing noise, but unfortunately nothing can corr ...

I forgot to add that Renaat's filters allowed me to get the frame rate down to 50fps which reduced the noise greatly, so many thanks to him!
2015-6-26
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi,

My first video made with the Inspire 1 and Renaat's excellent filters! I'm really happy with the Inspire's video, though I need to work more myself with coloring and editing.

2015-6-27
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Hi Jim, do you know if there is an ISO priority setting on the I1 camera? Have I read this somewhere or am I cracking up?
2015-6-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

markaguille Posted at 2015-6-29 02:39
Hi Jim, do you know if there is an ISO priority setting on the I1 camera? Have I read this somewhere ...

Hey Mark,

Not that I know of.   

There were some originally published features that never eventuated, like an adjustable aperture, perhaps it's one of those?

I never researched or got my head around EV, is it just a gain offset for exposure?
2015-6-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Rob W Posted at 2015-6-28 13:41
Hi,

My first video made with the Inspire 1 and Renaat's excellent filters! I'm really happy with th ...

Very nice.  Excellent use of controlled panning, that's not easy to do.  Well done!
2015-6-28
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Hi Jim,

I am having some difficulty with my Mac and its inability to edit even in FCP or Davinci...  My Mac is just not fast enough and I am not in a position to upgrade to edit the footage.
General question:
If I were to capture video and hand it directly to, let's say a low-end Real Estate client, what are the best settings?
IE, will I always have to edit my footage or are there settings that produce video direct from camera to export without using any editing software?
I understand the the log, saturation, contrast etc all play a part, but if you were to recommend a general group of settings, what would they be?
I have Rennats filters and have a handle on 1080 60fps needing shutter ideally under 100, historiography 'meat' in the middle, ISO 100 etc etc.
Your advice is always appreciated,
Peter
2015-6-28
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

jimhare Posted at 2015-6-29 06:25
Very nice.  Excellent use of controlled panning, that's not easy to do.  Well done!

Thank you, Jim, for your encouraging post! I have one more week until holiday, and when it starts I'll have more time to fly the Inspire
2015-6-28
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-6-29 13:00
Hi Jim,

I am having some difficulty with my Mac and its inability to edit even in FCP or Davinci... ...

Hey Peter,

I know what you mean.   Even with the slowest of Macs I'd be advising to still process the footage yourself.   Would be fine to use DaVinci to grade a still image then run the clips out overnight as ProRes or another CODEC that's easy to edit.

But if you do want to go down the road of delivering right from the camera I would use the VIVID setting in place of LOG and set contrast, saturation etc to 0.  

Stay in manual and control the exposure with the shutter.  

I would recommend 720P/60FPS to make it as easy as possible to work with.  Otherwise you'll get complaints about not being able to edit the footage.

Hope this helps!
2015-6-29
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Bumping this not so sticky post.
2015-7-2
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

dundee Posted at 2015-7-3 02:48
Bumping this not so sticky post.

Heh, good idea, might try that myself!   
2015-7-2
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Looks like this needs a little help to get back to the top ....
2015-7-3
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-4 04:37
Looks like this needs a little help to get back to the top ....

Thanks GB44!  Be nice to get its sticky status back.  :-(
2015-7-3
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-4 06:28

Yes totally agree.

I do believe that DJI also see its value, that is why it got the sticky originally, but I think it may be just down to all the work that has been going on with the forum lately.  

I reckon DJI will reinstate its rightful position shortly.  Failing that we can always make sure it is where it should be for all to access and get the benefit, after all thats the whole purpose of a forum to transfer and share the knowledge.

2015-7-3
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-4 06:57
Yes totally agree.

I do believe that DJI also see its value, that is why it got the sticky origin ...

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't a deliberate move on their part, but would be nice to not have to keep bumping it so people in search of the info can easily find it.  
2015-7-3
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United Kingdom

Jim, your thread has helped me in so many ways.  Thanks for that.  I'd love to see a live workflow video next time your editing a video ;)
2015-7-4
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

pa.hug2012 Posted at 2015-7-4 16:12
Jim, your thread has helped me in so many ways.  Thanks for that.  I'd love to see a live workflow v ...

Thanks pa.hug!

By that do you mean the process of editing an actual piece rather than tutorial about how to prepare footage etc?
2015-7-4
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-4 17:06
Thanks pa.hug!

By that do you mean the process of editing an actual piece rather than tutorial ab ...

Jim,

Scooter done something similar about post editing his work and how he gets the best colours using the waveform window in Final Cut Pro, so would be nice to see your take on things also.
2015-7-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-4 06:28

Agreed!!

Rich
2015-7-5
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-4 17:06
Thanks pa.hug!

By that do you mean the process of editing an actual piece rather than tutorial ab ...

Yeah Jim that would be awesome.  Keep posting the tutorial videos though, I've learned so much from them.
2015-7-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

pa.hug2012 Posted at 2015-7-6 02:22
Yeah Jim that would be awesome.  Keep posting the tutorial videos though, I've learned so much fro ...

Cool.   Next time I edit I'll do a screen record and talk through the process.  
2015-7-5
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-6 06:30

Hey Jim

Could you spend some time with us in post production, showing some tips with balance / sharpness or maybe something else that would be nice for us novices.

Rich
2015-7-5
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-6 06:30

Right on Jim, that sounds excellent.  I'm gonna get some pop corn in for this one   Thanks brother
2015-7-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

My pleasure guys, I'll try to give as many tips as I can.
2015-7-5
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-6 14:38
My pleasure guys, I'll try to give as many tips as I can.

Jim,

Looks like you back as a Sticky.

Lets hope DJI keep it there for everyone.
2015-7-7
Use props
DJI-Dave
lvl.4

United States

Great job on the tutorials. Thanks for posting.
2015-7-7
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Dave Posted at 2015-7-8 04:48
Great job on the tutorials. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Dave!
2015-7-7
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-8 04:00
Jim,

Looks like you back as a Sticky.

It does indeed, thanks guys!  
2015-7-7
Use props
niklasfranke
lvl.1

Germany

Awesome! Nice Videos and Tips for community
2015-7-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

niklasfranke@fr Posted at 2015-7-8 17:18
Awesome! Nice Videos and Tips for community

Cheers!   I'll be adding a new one on editing soon.
2015-7-8
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Australia

I'm going to be my own 20,000th view!   Just for fun!   
2015-7-17
Use props
matt.massick.id
lvl.1

United States

I have a brief question...  When I take a video with my inspire 1...  I come back and access the video...  It will let me open it with Quicktime and view but the frame of the video does not condense to fit my screen... It is huge and I have to keep scrolling left or right to see what the Inspire recorded...  What am I doing wrong?  Please help!
2015-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules