Inspire Settings and Post Workflow Tutorial
129420 512 2015-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stephen Marley
lvl.2

Australia

jimhare Posted at 2016-1-26 13:41
Thanks SkyHigh.   Where are you in Australia?

Jim

Campbelltown NSW Jim, just seen your cliffs of bondi. Are you local ??? Did a little shoot at Mt Kembla Motor X track on the weekend. Still working with the X5 settings. Edited in sonyvegas , rendered at 720-25p. See what you think

2016-2-1
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Stephen Marley Posted at 2016-2-1 20:42
Campbelltown NSW Jim, just seen your cliffs of bondi. Are you local ??? Did a little shoot at Mt Ke ...

Hey Stephen, I live on the North Shore of Sydney.   Cool Motor X track, looks like fun!

JIm
2016-2-1
Use props
fillup86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 766791 ft
Canada

I really appreciate your tutorials Jim Hare I am learning a lot. I don't have an Apple computer though...

What is good software for video and picture editing for Windows OS??
2016-2-13
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

fillup86 Posted at 2016-2-14 17:44
I really appreciate your tutorials Jim Hare I am learning a lot. I don't have an Apple computer tho ...

depends on what you intend to do........ sony vegas if you just want to shoot and put stuff together hassle free....... if you want total control and are keen to spend a bit of time learning about the finer arts of editing, I would say Edius or Premier.
2016-2-14
Use props
fillup86
lvl.2
Canada

Harb Posted at 2016-2-14 17:04
depends on what you intend to do........ sony vegas if you just want to shoot and put stuff togethe ...

What about Cyberlink Power Director? Ive been looking up top 10 video editing programs and Cyberlink seems to be really good. But I have heard lots about Adobe Premier.
2016-2-14
Use props
Harb
lvl.3

Australia

fillup86 Posted at 2016-2-15 08:34
What about Cyberlink Power Director? Ive been looking up top 10 video editing programs and Cyberl ...

Haven't used it personally , but if it does what you want to do, it serves its purpose.
2016-2-14
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

fillup86 Posted at 2016-2-15 08:34
What about Cyberlink Power Director? Ive been looking up top 10 video editing programs and Cyberl ...

Adobe Premiere is fantastic, and been around for 20 years.  A good place to start is Adobe Premiere Elements, which has all of the important features but costs a lot less.  You can always upgrade to the full version later if it's working for you.
2016-2-21
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Did  DJI ever provide you with the X5 camera?

Cheers-donnie
2016-2-22
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Donnie Posted at 2016-2-23 06:07
Did  DJI ever provide you with the X5 camera?

Cheers-donnie

Hi Donnie.  No, but I'm still hoping they might loan me an X5R to review.
2016-2-23
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51093 ft
Italy

Thank you for sharing your workflow.
2016-2-26
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

CC8877 Posted at 2016-2-26 20:20
Thank you for sharing your workflow.

My pleasure, hope it helped!

Jim
2016-2-26
Use props
CC8877
lvl.3
Flight distance : 51093 ft
Italy

My pleasure, hope it helped!

I'm studing FCPX at the moment so I was busy on it. In the next days I will look at your video channel but I'm sure it worth more than 1000 tutorials or courseware.
2016-2-29
Use props
newsphoto90
lvl.1

United States

GREAT work Jim, thank you for sharing this, what a difference!
2016-3-4
Use props
fillup86
lvl.2
Canada

Hi Jim Hare!! Thanks for the awesome tutorials they are helping me a lot!

I have a few quick questions though.

How can I find some free LUTS to work with and do you know how to work with masks? I'm pretty sure they are called masks anyways. What I'm trying to do is make a label (image or text) that basically floats synced with the video. For example, flying over an old road, having the road name floating on the road below and then coming up to an intersection and having another 'virtual sign' on that new road pasted on the road itself... I've seen it done before but I'm not sure what software was used or what it was called. Do you have any advice for me??
2016-3-9
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

newsphoto90 Posted at 2016-3-5 01:33
GREAT work Jim, thank you for sharing this, what a difference!

Happy to help!  ;-)
2016-4-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

fillup86 Posted at 2016-3-10 15:16

I have a few quick ques ...

I think you are referring to tracking, where you can place an object into a filmed scene and it moves along with it as if it were part of it.   Do some youtube searches and you find a lot of tutorials, often associated with a high end program like Adobe After Effects.

Not my area of expertise so can't be of much help.

As for free LUTs, again do some searches but here's a head start:
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/29-free-luts-for-video/

All the best,

Jim
2016-4-3
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

fillup86 Posted at 2016-3-10 07:16

I have a few quick ques ...

Tracking:

It depend on what you want to achieve, and how much work you are willing to do.

1. Simple 2D-tracking, Depending on the complexity, you might be able to achieve a reasonable good effect with by hand animating or making a 2D track in, as an example, Adobe After Effects or another similar program.

2. If you want realism, as an example adding a fake roadsign attached to a pole to the movie and get lights/shadows, correct perspective of the sign etc., you need to build a 3D model of the sign and do a 3D-track to give the sign the proper placement in the 3D-world compared to the film. Then render the 3D-scene out and composite the 3D-images to the film. This has quite a steep learning curve if you are not used to 3D software.

I've done tests with the DJI Osmo and a piece of 3D software for doing 3D-tracking, and it works fairly well.
2016-4-4
Use props
meteorosz
lvl.2

Australia

Thanks Jim! I wish you would hit 'E' instead of dragging the clips down though
Where'd you get the music, by the way?
2016-5-14
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

meteorosz@gmail Posted at 2016-5-15 15:28
Thanks Jim! I wish you would hit 'E' instead of dragging the clips down though
Where'd you get th ...

Nope!  Love dragging and will always do it!  ;-)

I got quite a bit of music from revostock until they closed down.  Lots of royalty free sites out there with one off license cost.
2016-5-15
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

love your detailed tutorial
2016-6-16
Use props
severebluesky
lvl.3

United States

Very helpful :-) many thank's
2016-10-25
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Ricky Wu Posted at 2016-6-17 13:38
love your detailed tutorial

Thanks Ricky!
2016-10-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

severebluesky Posted at 2016-10-26 01:27
Very helpful :-) many thank's

Thanks for that!
2016-10-29
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-10 06:28
As far as I'm concerned, these awesome tools at our fingertips ARE magic!

Can't even have dreamt  ...

Jim , this is a bit off topic, can you look at this video and see if you can explain this as a Pixelation or something , It is just a interesting clip that apparently ( If true ) NASA even has an Interest, Just would love to get you 2 cents on it.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid542710

donnie
2016-10-30
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

Donnie Posted at 2016-10-30 23:30
Jim , this is a bit off topic, can you look at this video and see if you can explain this as a Pix ...

Hey Donnie,

Yeah, I have seen that video before.   I don't pretend to have any authority in forensic analysis, but here is my personal opinion.

Wide lenses have a way of flattening out depth.  In other words, you can't really determine how far an object is based purely on what you see, instead you judge distance in relation to other objects in the frame.   This is because of the lack of depth of field (everything is sharp) and the widening effect of the lens pulls everything pretty equally.

This image is a good example of what's known as "forced perspective" where you want to believe objects have a different relationship because your mind pulls them around:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3106/2887513136_536c90c9bf.jpg

When flying, when there is no ground to anchor objects, this is especially true.  Your mind will place objects in relation and then judge the object's size and dynamics accordingly.

So how does this apply to the video?   
First of all, a small object close to the lens moving slowly will look like a much larger object further away travelling at great speed.

You can also use the amount of motion blur to estimate distance.  There wasn't a great deal of motion blur in the object.  If it were moving at 1000MPH there would be much more.

So in my personal opinion, it's likely this was a small creature flying close to the lens.  The trajectory is interesting as it appears to follow the ground path, but I think this is just a coincidence.
2016-10-31
Use props
fans37ca350a
lvl.2
United States

Hi Jim,
Hope you are well.  You have probably been asked this question a million times so here is a million and one.  In your opinion, what's the best, most user friendly, video editing software available for Mac?  Do you have a favorite?  Thanks for you time once again!
2016-11-14
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

fans37ca350a Posted at 2016-11-15 08:44
Hi Jim,
Hope you are well.  You have probably been asked this question a million times so here is a  ...

Heh, can never be asked too much about software!

For the Mac there are two standouts, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere.  In the end both will give you the same result, it's just a matter of which one appeals.

Premiere has a few different flavors/prices and they also offer a short free trial, so that may be a good start.

As for me, I use Final Cut X and love it.  Not a big fan of Premiere but part of that is I'm not as familiar.   
2016-11-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-11-17 21:33

For the Mac there are two standouts, Final Cut P ...

Hi Jim

Have not seen you much lately... I hope you are doing well and I am still benefitting from all of your past help!

I think I sent you a PM serval months ago, but never heard back from you, so I figured you were traveling

Best to you
Rich
2016-11-18
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-19 17:09
Hi Jim

Have not seen you much lately... I hope you are doing well and I am still benefitting from ...

Hi Rich, always good to hear from you my friend!  Yes, I've been pretty quiet recently but got my trusty Inspire out yesterday, updated everything and had a fly.  Going out again tonight!

Sorry I missed your message, will look it up and respond now.

All the best!

Jim
2016-11-19
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-11-19 17:11
Hi Rich, always good to hear from you my friend!  Yes, I've been pretty quiet recently but got my  ...

Hi Jim

Thanks you for getting back to me ... you have been missed.  

I left you a note.

Talk to you again soon and great you are flying your Inspire 1 again!

Rich
2016-11-20
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-11-21 15:57
Hi Jim

Thanks you for getting back to me ... you have been missed.  

The Inspire 2 looks very interesting, especially the new camera.  In Australia there has been an interesting development that is drones under 2KG (P4, Mavic etc) can now be flown commercially without a pilot's or operating license.   This is making me think that a P4Pro might be a good thing to have in the arsenal!  
2016-11-21
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-11-21 18:35
The Inspire 2 looks very interesting, especially the new camera.  In Australia there has been an i ...

Jim

Awesome.... The P4 Pro really looks like a very nice option. You will need to keep us posted on what you decide to do. I have the Mavic and so far it is a blast to fly. Unlike you we are in winter now and it has been cold and rainy here in Oregon. I hope to get some better shots with my Mavic when the weather holds.

PS thanks for your PM comments very much appreciated !
Best to you and happy flying.
Rich
2016-11-21
Use props
fans37ca350a
lvl.2
United States

jimhare Posted at 2016-11-17 22:33

For the Mac there are two standouts, Final Cut P ...

Thanks Jim...Your help is always much appreciated!
2016-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules