Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poor Advertising
2027 28 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

With the Firmware potential limitations causing a really big upset at the momment and the worlds Press clawing at every drone issue,    Why on Earth did DJI showcase this over a Landmark in a town and over vehicles and people and top it off, then over a Sports game ???   "what the hell are they thinking" ?     

Hey DJI !   is there anybody in there ?   please dont advertise its ok to fly your drone one way, then disable that very same ability in another as thats not really fair or correct!
2017-5-25
Use props
fans4287815f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Firmware potential limitations? I haven't been around for awhile :/
2017-5-25
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

over on the Mavic page, there is some concern over having to re-register and must upgrade to a new firmware, that may limit the crafts capabilty in some way, by use of Geo NFZ's and potential pilot tracking.
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The shoots were legal with the proper authorizations and waivers.
2017-5-25
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-25 11:56

That is fine but the concern is showing bad examples . You can't tell your kids, hey don't smoke and then you pull your pack and start smoking.

Just being socially responsible and leading by example that is what the OP is talking about!
2017-5-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Now that is bad. You should clearly show on your ad that the shot has been legal with proper authorization. New users will not know that they need proper authorization to fly over people and game venues.
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-25 16:34
Now that is bad. You should clearly show on your ad that the shot has been legal with proper authorization. New users will not know that they need proper authorization to fly over people and game venues.

That comes with properly researching the drone laws and regulation for your country and knowing the difference between commercial use and hobby use. There is some personal responsibility to be had when  knowing what you can or cannot due with your current flying clearance. We as a manufacturer cannot prevent the misuse of our products by users.
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

I am the E Posted at 2017-5-25 12:35
That is fine but the concern is showing bad examples . You can't tell your kids, hey don't smoke and then you pull your pack and start smoking.

Just being socially responsible and leading by example that is what the OP is talking about!

Drones and smoking are not the same thing. There are car and motorcycle commercials that don't indicate that you have to have a license, specify speed limits on specific roads etc. to use them, but you would have to pay the consequences if you're caught driving either one without it or not following other driving laws in general. Like I mentioned in my last post, there is some personal responsibility to be had and the common sense to know it's something you need to research in the first place.
2017-5-25
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-25 17:05
Drones and smoking are not the same thing. There are car and motorcycle commercials that don't indicate that you have to have a license, specify speed limits on specific roads etc. to use them, but you would have to pay the consequences if you're caught driving either one without it or not following other driving laws in general. Like I mentioned in my last post, there is some personal responsibility to be had and the common sense to know it's something you need to research in the first place.

Great answer, unfortunately this is a new thing for many stupid individuals.
2017-5-25
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Promoting a product in a manner which would be illegal for most customers is not responsible. Generally speaking flying quadcopters over people is a bad idea. Now this thing is very light so the damage would be less than a Phantom or larger aircraft but it's still not a good look.

Then again marketing people are often a law unto themselves. Jamie is caught in a hard place.
2017-5-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

Imagine that 2 or 3 sparks are flying around at a basketball match. These things are buzzing around over people head. Because the ad promote it, new users thought that this is their right and nothing wrong about until accident happens
2017-5-25
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-25 16:56
That comes with properly researching the drone laws and regulation for your country and knowing the difference between commercial use and hobby use. There is some personal responsibility to be had when  knowing what you can or cannot due with your current flying clearance. We as a manufacturer cannot prevent the misuse of our products by users.

Hi Jamie, being a UK CAA registered BNUC  pilot, totalling over 4000 flying hours, you are dead right,  however what knowledge is there for "Average Joe" walking into your outlets ,  like Apple stores, etc,  i have only seen dedicated model shops ( like Totem Hobbies, UK )  take the time to explain, what the pilot is responsible for, and where to go to gain the informations required,  the high street stores just want to shift boxes!  what happens next is what we are seeing with the mavic,  and this will be worse, as its aimed at total Noobs,  what is also nearly as bad is that DJI's own web page has very little to advise or coach the new pilots on what the expected minimums are, let alone the finer points of good airmanship or anything else ! no doubt as this would conflict with advertising to draw in the sales.
2017-5-26
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

True , but at least every packet has warnings larger than the advertising it self,  DJI ought to be upping the Ante,  As it is currently not showing any responsibilty with its sales, nows the time for sharing some of that knowledge it talks about,    with a simple tab for a start on their website,  explaining about the Do's and Dont's,  how and why to follow rules and laws, good airmanship, etc

and before its said, yes there is a little instruction in the box, however,  is that really sufficient or suitable?
2017-5-26
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sorry Jamie, this is in NO way meant personally,     so that makes it ok then ?  the world is full of people hiding behind others saying that exact statement,   DJI need to take the lead on things like this, and as the OP said,  a 3 second flash screen of text, explaining these points,   would have been the right thing surely.  All of us on the forums are aware that DJI is on the brink of owning the drone world,  but with that ought to come the other finer points of customer care and information  (Those two points alone are holding DJI back).
2017-5-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-25 16:56

Definitely agree with this, in Australia for instance you are not allowed to fly within 30 meters of people...well for hobbyists that is. So really us people should be responsible of where we fly, how we fly etc.
2017-5-26
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Jamie I'm sorry but that is not the way the world works. I have 2 Mavic. And I've been trying to sell one of them for 2 weeks now. And I can't tell you how many people don't care about any of these rules and they see a video like the trailer and think they can buy one and do the same thing. Because most people look at this stuff as toy.  Even I was very disappointed to find out that I couldn't recorded myself snowboarding.  If it wasn't for a friend who actual has a bunch of drones. I would of never knew about the FAA.
2017-5-26
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

cristianc Posted at 2017-5-26 06:37
Definitely agree with this, in Australia for instance you are not allowed to fly within 30 meters of people...well for hobbyists that is. So really us people should be responsible of where we fly, how we fly etc.

i also agree with both of you,  yes the individual should research, and gen up on local laws and rules, chances are though that we have been flying or flight aware for some period of time,  i am more concerned for "Average Joe" walking into an Apple store or even worse just seeing one for sale on Amazon,  and charging the battery, and then off to have a go at whats seen on the video
2017-5-26
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Australia

MikeQView Posted at 2017-5-26 10:47
i also agree with both of you,  yes the individual should research, and gen up on local laws and rules, chances are though that we have been flying or flight aware for some period of time,  i am more concerned for "Average Joe" walking into an Apple store or even worse just seeing one for sale on Amazon,  and charging the battery, and then off to have a go at whats seen on the video

That's probably why they are trying to regulate drones and essentially create that digital license to better track people that break the rules. It is quite of a interesting topic.
2017-5-26
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

From what I see from doing lots of research, it appears that DJI is spending a great deal of time working with regulators in multiple jurisdictions to make its products (and UAVs in general) more safe and integrated with all airspace users.  This is a good thing.  
2017-5-26
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

This is in my opinion the proper response.  DJI should focus on making great products (and safe etc).  But they should stay out of enforcement issues.  Rather they should provide a technological solution to many of the safety concerns that the public has without limiting their products potential.  Geo-fencing is a good example; the capability to educate and prevent users from improper use; however NOT overly restricting users from functionality  (e.g. users may fly illegally if they choose to, just as I may speed in my car if I want to; a personal responsibility, not a right to do so).  This is what rules and law enforcement is for and manufacturers should not play the police.  Having said that, I'm sure DJI will improve over time, on its social responsibility to help educate users and potential users with how to properly use it's products, including disclosing in advertisements what is possible out of the box versus what may not be allowed use. If I said that right....
2017-5-26
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

Ignorance is not a defense in the court of law.  Anyone purchasing any product should do their own research and fully understand the laws governing the use of any type of product.  DJI's advertisements are just that; advertisements.  They are not telling anyone to go and fly over a sports game per say.  They requested and were approved for their applicable licenses to do such a thing.  Like a sports car in a commercial driving fast on a road.  "Professional driver on a closed road".  You don't see me taking my car and doing 120 mph on a road just because a commercial showed it and then go online and complain about it.  Why?  it's common sense not to drive a car that fast down a road.  Flying a drone is no different and DJI's advertisements are no different.  

Drones should be restricted and No fly zones should be enforced.  There are too many reckless individuals flying around airports and places of concern with no regard to human safety.

If you do the research and fly your drones within the scope of the law; then you have nothing to worry about.  Registers, sign in and enjoy your $1000 toy.
2017-5-26
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-26 19:27
Ignorance is not a defense in the court of law.  Anyone purchasing any product should do their own research and fully understand the laws governing the use of any type of product.  DJI's advertisements are just that; advertisements.  They are not telling anyone to go and fly over a sports game per say.  They requested and were approved for their applicable licenses to do such a thing.  Like a sports car in a commercial driving fast on a road.  "Professional driver on a closed road".  You don't see me taking my car and doing 120 mph on a road just because a commercial showed it and then go online and complain about it.  Why?  it's common sense not to drive a car that fast down a road.  Flying a drone is no different and DJI's advertisements are no different.  

Drones should be restricted and No fly zones should be enforced.  There are too many reckless individuals flying around airports and places of concern with no regard to human safety.

You are so right !   spot on, i am concerned to the fact,  that unlike motor vehicles where all the signs are in place and is well known by all, even young children know road signs and many facts of the road well before they even get to have there first drive,   sadly the drone world because of its relative infancy isnt understood enough yet.   
2017-5-27
Use props
fansf250a652
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-28
Use props
fansf250a652
Banned

Netherlands

2017-5-28
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Australia

fansf250a652 Posted at 2017-5-28 16:23
But this is up to each government and not a manufacturer.

I would hope not...because the government in 99% of cases is way too slow.. Look at India for example, they simply banned drones altogether because they couldn't come up with a legislation.
2017-5-28
Use props
fansf250a652
Banned

Sweden

2017-5-28
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Australia

fansf250a652 Posted at 2017-5-28 17:20
Or the politicians wanted a bigger cut for their tremendous market?

Most likely, the point is sadly you cannot rely on the government too much. You know how it is.
2017-5-28
Use props
fansf250a652
Banned

2017-5-28
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1217520 ft
  • >>>
United States

randy.sauder Posted at 2017-5-26 19:20
This is in my opinion the proper response.  DJI should focus on making great products (and safe etc).  But they should stay out of enforcement issues.  Rather they should provide a technological solution to many of the safety concerns that the public has without limiting their products potential.  Geo-fencing is a good example; the capability to educate and prevent users from improper use; however NOT overly restricting users from functionality  (e.g. users may fly illegally if they choose to, just as I may speed in my car if I want to; a personal responsibility, not a right to do so).  This is what rules and law enforcement is for and manufacturers should not play the police.  Having said that, I'm sure DJI will improve over time, on its social responsibility to help educate users and potential users with how to properly use it's products, including disclosing in advertisements what is possible out of the box versus what may not be allowed use. If I said that right....

2017-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules