Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-28 10:39
Yah, I remember how hot you guys are in the summer. This would be very difficult for a air cooled drone  

I have flown in 100 - 108F usually from a shaded area. (Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic, Inspire) My iPad gets really hot even with the Hoodman shade screen protector.  Running the Go 4 App puts the device CPU to task. The Spark may not put the phone into the same condition. So, you will need to watch how everything is working and monitor the battery temps.

Do you think because there's no OTG cable on the Spark do you think the heat may be more tolerable than say a Mavic Pro in that same heat? The Mavic Pro looks like there's a heat-sink on the bottom that can get hot when sitting stationary for long periods of time?
2018-2-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-28 14:03
Do you think because there's no OTG cable on the Spark do you think the heat may be more tolerable than say a Mavic Pro in that same heat? The Mavic Pro looks like there's a heat-sink on the bottom that can get hot when sitting stationary for long periods of time?

This is a very interesting point and I cannot speak with any facts that would support Wi-Fi vs OTG putting less load on the device.

My iPhone on the Mavic really did not get super hot during the hot weather of the summer. But using my iPad would get hotter using with the P4P or Inspire 1 / 2 in the same weather.

I hope you can experiment with your Spark this summer and let us know your findings. Of course be safe and don't risk your drone.  It would be an interesting topic
Rich
2018-2-28
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

White, because I bought mine on an amazing sale and that was the only color available!
2018-2-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Illuminations Posted at 2018-2-28 16:46
White, because I bought mine on an amazing sale and that was the only color available!

Welcome to the club and enjoy!!

Rich
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-2-28 16:46
This is a very interesting point and I cannot speak with any facts that would support Wi-Fi vs OTG would  put less load on the device.

My iPhone on the Mavic really did not get super hot during the hot weather of the summer. But using my iPad would get hotter using with the P4P or Inspire 1 / 2 in the same weather.

I obviously enjoy flying my drone during the 70 degree days we are having this winter, so definitely will have a void in my schedule when and if the weather gets too hot to fly.

When the heat comes I plan to fly early mornings and early evenings when the sun is least strongest, I will be prudent and will certainly report back to everyone when the time comes.
2018-2-28
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

I have the white one... only because it was the only color available at BJ's wholesale club, lol
2018-3-15
Use props
Oli-Shields
lvl.2
Flight distance : 62766 ft

United Kingdom

Bought it second hand so ended up with white
2018-3-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

EMTDad Posted at 2018-3-15 23:29
I have the white one... only because it was the only color available at BJ's wholesale club, lol

Welcome to the Spark club!

enjoy
Rich
2018-3-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oli-Shields Posted at 2018-3-16 00:59
Bought it second hand so ended up with white

Great and welcome...  I bought the little Tello which is color white.  I plan on putting some stickers on it

Rich
2018-3-16
Use props
djcamera
lvl.3
United States

Weirdly, the green color was FIVE DOLLARS cheaper when I ordered it on Amazon.   Impact on flight performance is negligible.
2018-3-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djcamera Posted at 2018-3-16 08:27
Weirdly, the green color was FIVE DOLLARS cheaper when I ordered it on Amazon.   Impact on flight performance is negligible.

Welcome to the Spark group.. I think the green one is very cool looking.  

Have fun
Rich
2018-3-16
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

I bought the Lava red combo because the wife like red,  I kinda wish I would have got white or blue... Shhh don't tell her!
2018-3-16
Use props
MiniKappa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 217644 ft
Poland

btw which color can scary birds? They're a problem sometimes
2018-3-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-3-16 23:00
I bought the Lava red combo because the wife like red,  I kinda wish I would have got white or blue... Shhh don't tell her!

Welcome to the club....  Red is my favorite too

Rich
2018-3-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MiniKappa Posted at 2018-3-17 02:58
btw which color can scary birds? They're a problem sometimes

Actually the sound is what really bothers birds.  but I remember a post in the Inspire section talked about these reflective tapes that will scare birds. not much space on the Spark..... but it could work
Rich
Link to Amazon product page

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2018-3-17
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-17 07:03
Actually the sound is what really bothers birds.  but I remember a post in the Inspire section talked about these reflective tapes that will scare birds. not much space on the Spark..... but it could work
Rich

Is there a crazy bird attraction to drones that I don't know about?  I am planning to take my Spark to the lake when the weather turns and there is always flocks of birds.  If there is an attraction I would hate to get attacked while I was over the water!
2018-3-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Bash's Posted at 2018-3-17 10:22
Is there a crazy bird attraction to drones that I don't know about?  I am planning to take my Spark to the lake when the weather turns and there is always flocks of birds.  If there is an attraction I would hate to get attacked while I was over the water!

For the most part, they should leave you alone. I have had small Sparrows circle my  Inspire 1 while I was next the river. during this time of year when the nests are out in the trees and they want to protect them. I have a video of this if you watch for them.
@2:50  5:45- 6:10  or just watch the long clip and you will see them around me on this flight
Early non edited fight with my Inspire 1

So, there is always a possibility but not  normal occurrence. The sounds that some of our drones make can make them mad..     Always keep your distance to be safe

Rich

2018-3-17
Use props
MiniKappa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 217644 ft
Poland

When i fly with Phantom 3 Standard, the birds are a big problem sometimes, 10-20 birds fly circles near the drone, half of the situations forced me to land and wait few minutes
2018-3-18
Use props
Pville
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1493 ft

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-17 07:03
Actually the sound is what really bothers birds.  but I remember a post in the Inspire section talked about these reflective tapes that will scare birds. not much space on the Spark..... but it could work
Rich

I have used that reflective bird scare tape on my house to keep certain birds from roosting in the eaves, sadly it has not worked for me.

Anyway, I chose yellow.
2018-3-26
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

I have Lava Red, no choice. It is the only stock in the local store here in my place. I prefer to have the Alpine White
2018-3-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pville Posted at 2018-3-26 08:54
I have used that reflective bird scare tape on my house to keep certain birds from roosting in the eaves, sadly it has not worked for me.

Anyway, I chose yellow.

Hi,

Welcome to the Spark club.....    I put the spike strips up under the eve's and no more birds !  

The tape does not always work in some cases  

Rich
2018-3-26
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-26 14:46
I have Lava Red, no choice. It is the only stock in the local store here in my place. I prefer to have the Alpine White

Welcome to the Red Club!  my favorite color  

Rich
2018-3-26
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-26 16:37
Welcome to the Red Club!  my favorite color  

I prefer blue or white, but red is not that bad. I like the way they shade the red in Spark
2018-3-26
Use props
Kerky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28655 ft
Spain

Some bloke was selling it, quite cheap and unopened on a local classifieds site. Yes, I insisted on him giving me the invoice, which he did.
2018-3-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

My Spark is the same color as my Tello: Arctic White. I'm thinking since Ryze sells different color hoods for the Tello that it appears you can replace easily, what color does anyone think would go well with a Arctic White Spark?
2018-3-27
Use props
Pville
lvl.2

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-26 16:36
Hi,

Welcome to the Spark club.....    I put the spike strips up under the eve's and no more birds !  

Thanks for the welcome.  

In my post I forgot to mention why I chose yellow -- originally I was going to get green, my favorite color, but simply wanted something different than green this time.  As someone else posted, there's always Krylon.
2018-3-27
Use props
Pville
lvl.2

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-27 16:23
My Spark is the same color as my Tello: Arctic White. I'm thinking since Ryze sells different color hoods for the Tello that it appears you can replace easily, what color does anyone think would go well with a Arctic White Spark?

How about a complete contrast.....black?
2018-3-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pville Posted at 2018-3-27 16:57
Thanks for the welcome.  

In my post I forgot to mention why I chose yellow -- originally I was going to get green, my favorite color, but simply wanted something different than green this time.  As someone else posted, there's always Krylon.

Great color....

Enjoy flying your new Spark ... shouldn't loose that color

Rich
2018-3-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-27 16:23

Welcome to the Spark club   

I have the Tello and it has been a blast flying around in the house.

Rich
2018-3-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kerky Posted at 2018-3-27 07:29
Some bloke was selling it, quite cheap and unopened on a local classifieds site. Yes, I insisted on him giving me the invoice, which he did.

Good deals are always the best way to get something.

Enjoy your new Spark  

Rich
2018-3-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

Pville Posted at 2018-3-27 16:58
How about a complete contrast.....black?

Black would require incorporating some type of skin or does Ryze offer the Tello shell in Black? Thank you.
2018-3-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-27 19:10
Welcome to the Spark club   

I have the Tello and it has been a blast flying around in the house.

I haven't unboxed my Tello yet. I actually got a pretty good deal on it by the way. The store where I purchased it from sold it for $99 but wasn't supposed to charge me tax. After going back to the store to get the credit, they refunded me an additional 10%. I'm looking forward to flying it around the house, I was wondering if you get the controller is it possible to put on virtual goggles with your smartphone and fly it FPV?
2018-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-28 01:41
I haven't unboxed my Tello yet. I actually got a pretty good deal on it by the way. The store where I purchased it from sold it for $99 but wasn't supposed to charge me tax. After going back to the store to get the credit, they refunded me an additional 10%. I'm looking forward to flying it around the house, I was wondering if you get the controller is it possible to put on virtual goggles with your smartphone and fly it FPV?

Hi David

The Tello can be flown with a Bluetooth compatible controller and you put the phone into a VR style headset. Download the Tello App and look at the settings. Personally I only use the phone to control the Tello and so far this is lots of fun for the size  

Rich
2018-3-28
Use props
Kaiku
lvl.2

Sky Blue feels very soothing
2018-3-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-28 07:59
Hi David

The Tello can be flown with a Bluetooth compatible controller and you put the phone into a VR style headset. Download the Tello App and look at the settings. Personally I only use the phone to control the Tello and so far this is lots of fun for the size  

Hi Rich,

Have you been flying the Tello indoors or outdoors. It does make for a fun little drone flying it from an FPV phone perspective, I'm just trying to find me my go to indoor drone where I can get some flying in on days when it's too hot to fly outdoors here.
2018-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kaiku Posted at 2018-3-28 15:26
Sky Blue feels very soothing

very true   

Welcome to the Spark group !!

Rich
2018-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-28 16:34
Hi Rich,

Have you been flying the Tello indoors or outdoors. It does make for a fun little drone flying it from an FPV phone perspective, I'm just trying to find me my go to indoor drone where I can get some flying in on days when it's too hot to fly outdoors here.

David

I have been flying the Tello in both Inside and outside. Tons of fun to fly around in the house. Easy to fly and it will bounce off the walls when the prop guards hit.  

Works great....
Rich
2018-3-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-28 18:18
David

I have been flying the Tello in both Inside and outside. Tons of fun to fly around in the house. Easy to fly and it will bounce off the walls when the prop guards hit.  

I just unboxed my Tello and had my maiden flight and it performed as I expected. I had a few error messages pop up saying to land the craft immediately, stating the vision positioning system was disabled because of low ambient light?

There also was no way on the settings menu to calibrate the second setting under the compass for gravity? I didn't know if this was something not yet enabled that will be incorporated in a later firmware update? Anyway, pretty straightforward as I expected, minus the errors.
2018-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-28 22:22
I just unboxed my Tello and had my maiden flight and it performed as I expected. I had a few error messages pop up saying to land the craft immediately, stating the vision positioning system was disabled because of low ambient light?

There also was no way on the settings menu to calibrate the second setting under the compass for gravity? I didn't know if this was something not yet enabled that will be incorporated in a later firmware update? Anyway, pretty straightforward as I expected, minus the errors.

Hi again

So glad you put your Tello into the air. Please check that your IR downward sensors are clean (blow some air into these.  Look at my screenshot while in low light, it only says to fly with caution.

1) The IMU  can be calibrated with the App while the drone is setting on a flat surface while following the instructions. See screenshot showing this active when the Tello is connected.
2) The center of Gravity Calibration can only be done while the Tello is hovering in place. Do not do this in the wind.  See screenshot showing this active while in the hover.

Not much to adjust on the Tello, it is designed to be easy for the beginners

Rich

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2018-3-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-3-29 08:22
Hi again

So glad you put your Tello into the air. Please check that your IR downward sensors are clean (blow some air into these.  Look at my screenshot while in low light, it only says to fly with caution.

Excellent post. Thank  you for the screenshots and explanation.

I learned a few new things about the Tello. When you fly under "Fast Mode" and change the camera settings to video, and you adjust the setting of photo quality to "High" then the image is larger and has a greater aperture.

I don't know why RYZE incorporated the wide angle lens adjustment only if you're in Fast Mode rather than when you're in "Slow Mode", but the angle and picture makes flying the drone easier when using the phone screen.
2018-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules