Esc error fixed
12835 16 2017-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dr_Richtofen_21
New
Flight distance : 47057 ft
United States

Hello all. I am typing in this forum in order to document (in detail) my experience with a bad motor/ esc error. I will start with my first experience flying drones to give you all an idea that i am by no means an expert with drones. I have however built a few rc vehicles. My very first experience with drones was about two years ago. I bought a Latrax Alias. I got it home and started to test it out. Long story short a few days after i bought it i accidentally flew it too high and it got caught in the wind. At this point i made the choice that if i ever buy a drone again it will be one with GPS. 2 years went by and nothing really caught my eye. I dont particularly like the size of the phantom so i waited until something smaller came out that didnt impact the functionality too much. I then found the mavic and decided to pull the trigger. I was very excited about the purchase and the wait for the shipping was pure agony. It eventually arrived at my door and I couldnt be more excited. I read all of the saftey guidelines as well as registering it with the FAA. I even called a few local airports too figure out how they felt about drones. After charging it up i then took it out and flew it around a few times. At one point after getting somewhat used to the controls, i accidentally clipped a bush and the drone fell about 2ft into grass. It was a miniscule drop but i started to check everything and it seemed ok. I continued to fly it and once i was done i picked it up and almost got burnt by the right rear motor. I let it cool off and the next day i took it out again. I had read some things about the drone fighting wind and maybe overworking one of the motors to stay still. I kept the drone low just in case any unforseen failures might occur. I started getting an error that seemed like a generic warning about motor number 4 (the right rear). I decided to see if the motor was getting hot again so i brought the mavic in. While i had it hovering, the number 4 motor failed and the drone fell out of control about 6 ft into grass. Sure enough, when i felt the motor it was seriously hot. I had this thing for two days and its already been grounded. I waited for it to cool and when i tried to start it, the number 4 motor just twitched and the app just said"motor obstructed". I started doing research on DJI support and found that it seemed like a nightmare plus it takes forever. I also saw that i needed to send in my flight logs and i thought that if they saw i had a small crash, they would say it was operator error and i would be out of luck. I then figured my next best bet would be to take it to a repair shop. I live about one and a half hours north of a shop DJI has on ther website. (the Miami one) I called them and the gentleman who answered the phone seemed very knowledgeable. The thing that kept me away was the fact that they charge a 60$ diagnosis fee that they would only waive if i opted to pay for the fix. I did not want to get slapped with a quote of 250$ refuse, and then have to pay 60$ just to be back to square one. So i researched my final option. Fix it myself. I promptly ordered a motor and right rear arm off of amazon from a reputable seller. During the wait i decided to dig into the mavic since i had decided i would not be sending it in. I dissasembled it with the help of a few youtube videos and took the bad motor off. I was curious to see if the the app would report any errors if there was no motor attatched. Sure enough i got an ESC no.4 error. I then hooked the motor back up just to see if it would go away. It did not. I thought "oh no i just fried the esc!" I was feeling pretty bummed and two days later the arm and motor showed up. I went ahead and installed the new arm and soldered the wires to the board. i then carefully reassembled the mavic. I started the app, then the controller and last the mavic. To my surprise the drone fired up, all motors twitched and i had no errors. I then took it out to the field and take off. It took off and flew like new! i ran it through 3 batteries and all of the motors wer a little warm but not hot at all. I did not see much on this subject so i wanted to put my experience out there in hopes it may save someone from having to deal with DJI support. I do feel that DJI makes wonderful, solid products and the mavic really is a marvel of modern technology. I love it! It is just a shame that the customer service seems to be poor and the parts are not readily available. Still, my mavic is back in the air and i couldn't be more excited!   
2017-5-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thanks for sharing your experience with us here, glad to know you made it work finally.
Hope you have great time on flying!
2017-5-26
Use props
Dr_Richtofen_21
New
United States

Thank you! I am currently out camping and I am loving the aerial shots!
2017-5-26
Use props
Marcjwebb
lvl.1

United Kingdom

What did you find was the fix, I am having the same issue. Won’t take off esc motor 2
2018-5-5
Use props
Dr_Richtofen_21
New
United States

Marcjwebb Posted at 2018-5-5 01:31
What did you find was the fix, I am having the same issue. Won’t take off esc motor 2

I replaced the motor by desoldering the broken one and soldering on the new one I had purchased through amazon. It has been working ever since and I have not had any issues.
2018-5-5
Use props
Marcjwebb
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dr_Richtofen_21 Posted at 2018-5-5 04:42
I replaced the motor by desoldering the broken one and soldering on the new one I had purchased through amazon. It has been working ever since and I have not had any issues.

Brill stuff. Do you know which motor exactly is number 2 ?
2018-5-5
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Quad Motors are arranged this way,

2018-5-5
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

Marcjwebb Posted at 2018-5-5 01:31

An ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) error is not the same as an obstructed motor error, you may be dealing with a different issue. The OP stated that his motor was hot and probably defective, he didn't get the ESC error until the motor was removed and he tried to fire it up that way which resulted in the ESC error. If you are getting an ESC error with the motor still connected you may have a bad ESC.
2018-5-5
Use props
Marcjwebb
lvl.1

United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-5 08:42
An ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) error is not the same as an obstructed motor error, you may be dealing with a different issue. The OP stated that his motor was hot and probably defective, he didn't get the ESC error until the motor was removed and he tried to fire it up that way which resulted in the ESC error. If you are getting an ESC error with the motor still connected you may have a bad ESC.

Ah ok. All the motors feel the same and are not stiff at all.

They all twitch on startup, so didn’t think it was strange that it could be the motor.

Is there anyway I can run diagnostics on the drone?

2018-5-5
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

Marcjwebb Posted at 2018-5-5 11:11
Ah ok. All the motors feel the same and are not stiff at all.

They all twitch on startup, so didn’t think it was strange that it could be the motor.

I believe the only one that can do that is DJI or an Authorized DJI service center. There are flight diagnostic programs (IE: JJB's FRAP program ) but this will only diagnose flight parameters not internal components.
Might want to open a support case with DJI to see what is wrong. If it is just an occasional error it may be a glitch in the firmware, try refreshing the FW and see if that helps.
2018-5-5
Use props
Marcjwebb
lvl.1

United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-5 11:31
I believe the only one that can do that is DJI or an Authorized DJI service center. There are flight diagnostic programs (IE: JJB's FRAP program ) but this will only diagnose flight parameters not internal components.
Might want to open a support case with DJI to see what is wrong. If it is just an occasional error it may be a glitch in the firmware, try refreshing the FW and see if that helps.

Think I have found the problem.

On the front left motor there is some damage to the front left motors coil. In two places.

One could has a dink in it and the next coil along has a clean break in the copper. After talking to drone doctor in the UK, has said almost certain this is the problem.
2018-5-5
Use props
Marcjwebb
lvl.1

United Kingdom

2018-5-5
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

I agree split coil would surely trigger a warning. Happy you found it, I think this is the first time I have seen this problem here in the forum, maybe some sand or a pebble got sucked in and caused the damage.
2018-5-5
Use props
djiuser_RSPVsmt7oqwq
New

Denmark

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-5 08:39
Quad Motors are arranged this way,

[view_image]

actially it is different from from company to company what order the motors are arranged.
2018-9-25
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10318117 ft
Canada

when you hit some twigs or anything and the props are damaged I always check for the tiny keys at the bottom of the props to make sure that there all on because a lot of times some break off and stay jammed in the motors.
2018-9-25
Use props
Victor Barrios
New

Chile

Hola tengo el mismo problema en Matrice 200,  esta diciendo ESC error y la luz parpadea de diferentes colores... Alguien me puede ayudar?
2019-6-14
Use props
fans8f90a6fa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1296158 ft
United States

Avada - Broken coil wire also

Hello, first time posting... hopefully somebody with some knowlege can help me out!

I have a DJI Avada with the motion controller and Goggles 2

Thank your for posting this!! Looks like unfortunately I got the same issue! Only that my numb*** was to much in a hurry and installed the new blades incorrectly (because I broke two blades the previous night...) !!
The only thing is that the next day after installing the blades, everything at first seemed fine motors started mormally but when lifting off one side of the drone lifted slightly then the motors shut off and I get the dreaded "ESC Error" message followed by "Propulsion system autocheck error. Unble to take off" and now I cannot fly it at all. When powering up all 4 motors twitch like they always have but after the initial twitch there is a slight delay then only the front two (not the two broken ones i replaced) twitch and the status indicator stays solid red.....

After investigating I found the broken coil wire.

Do i have to replace the motor or can i try soldering it or something? I already tried taking it apart cleaning it and stuffing the wire back down in between the coils but still get error message. Or is there a way to reset it back to factory?? I also alfready tried recalibrating the IMU on the Goggles and drone with no changes.

Please help as I love this thing and just like the other guy said, Im not going to send it in a wait 10 years for them to fix it.

ANY input I can get!!! I really really want to fly some more... lol plus im in arizona on vacation right now and there are awesome places to fly!

Thanks in advance!!
2022-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules